Do you fly for Photography or Video? Or Both?
1040 10 2015-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cbarrettcampbel
lvl.1

United States

I am an experienced photographer but an absolute novice with video. Because of my experience, I have gravitated to using the P3P for still photos rather than photography, but I am so impressed with videos I am seeing online, I wish my experience was the other way around.

After concentrating almost exclusively on still photography, I took my drone up yesterday with the intention of recording some video... I was shocked at how different the flying experience was. I felt like I couldn't waste any movement of the drone since it would "ruin" that sequence of video. The flying had to be much more precise and deliberate.... I think you need to be a much better pilot to record video than you do still photos.

Another thought on video: I feel like you need to be able to fly your drone further away from you, and cover more ground to capture compelling video. With still photography, you can get great shots while keeping your drone nearby. I live in a big city so it is difficult to fly too far away...

Last question - when you are flying and recording video, are you concentrating more on FPV on your tablet, or line of sight?

I am curious to hear your thoughts on flying the drone for video vs still photography.

Thanks!

2015-6-27
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

Both. When I'm doing work, I use FPV on my tablet. When I just wanna fly the thing, I use line of sight.
2015-6-27
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Why spend more money on a p3p if your plan was to only take photots? The p3a and pro take exactly the same photos.
2015-6-27
Use props
cbarrettcampbel
lvl.1

United States

Michael M Posted at 2015-6-27 22:51
Why spend more money on a p3p if your plan was to only take photots? The p3a and pro take exactly th ...

Because I want the flexibility to do 4K video if I want to.. I would like to try and get into that.
2015-6-27
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Always both! It's a camera!
2015-6-27
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-28
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I enjoy still pictures since sharing them is MUCH easier and does not require a commitment on the part of the viewer. In other words, a picture can be glanced at - you haven't asked much of your audience!

Video requires work by the photog - and then time and attention by the viewer.

I do both, but only share or publish video which is highly edited so it's nicer to view.  I'm a hobbyist and my lack of talent is evident....which actually makes it more fun because it shows what is possible from a regular guy as opposed to a pro.
2015-6-28
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-29 07:20
I enjoy still pictures since sharing them is MUCH easier and does not require a commitment on the pa ...

I've come to the conclusion I'm just flying around taking home movies! Either that or I'm just collecting junk that ticks my wife off!

If I died suddenly I guess she'll give it to someone I don't even like! LOL
2015-7-1
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

Netherlands

Michael M Posted at 2015-6-27 22:51
Why spend more money on a p3p if your plan was to only take photots? The p3a and pro take exactly th ...

With 4K video you can capture a 4096x2160 pixel still from the video so actually it gives you both options.  Pretty good stills and Video at the same time.
2015-7-1
Use props
BlackBetty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21319 ft
United States

I am a photographer as well and use it for both.

I have always had a love a for video and have begun doing time lapses so creating video using the drone feels very natural to me. Yes, it takes a lot of concentration and smooth movement
, but honestly you don't have to be as far away as you think. It is truly all about camera movement.

What helps me, is I imagine the music I will put my video to and then direct my shot based upon how I feel it will work out. Sometimes that method works really well, sometimes it doesn't, but it definitely has helped me become more fluid in my endeavors!
2015-7-2
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

I started more pictures then changed, now I do way more videos.

Gladly I got the P3P.

Then close to a target, line of sight, when it is a moving target (ie boat), FPV to ensure the video is what I envisioned.

Cheers,

Marcelo
BuyDJI.ca
2015-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules