Mavic 2 powered on all by itself in its case
3123 21 2020-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cioffij
lvl.2

United States

My Mavic 2 Zoom just powered on all by itself in the case. The case sits near me in my office and I heard the sound.  I opened the case and it was powered up.  This is very bad.

The case cover does not touch the power button.  I think it's been a  fewe days since I charged the battery that was in it.  I'm not sure how  many days.  It was fully charged.  I am wondering if there is a bug in  the discharge logic of the battery and that somehow the battery told the  drone to power up?

Has anyone else seen this?  This is very concerning.  I worry that the unit could overheat in the case if it powered up.

What will happen if it stays on until the battery discharges?  Will it power off?

This needs to be investigated.

2020-11-10
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

No I have not heard of a DJI product powering on by itself. But I have heard of them "turning themselves off"....Joking aside:

Yes, if the AC is in the case when powered on, no cooling air for the intake....
Yes, it will eventually turn itself off as the battery dies (or unless there is thermal protection that shuts down the AC (but that could be an issue for safety while in flight, and another topic)..

The only other "automatic" turning on MAY be, just maybe, the battery went into auto discharge mode, and somehow turned on the AC, instead of just "charge draining" itself....You could try to confirm that by charging the battery and then let it get to the auto discharge point and see what happens. Yes, you'd have to babysit the puppy to run that "test"....

But in reality, I think "something" was contacting the button and maybe the case was moved, and it was just enough pressure for the power button to be activated. The only way to prove or disprove is to
make sure nothing can hit the power button while in the case. A business card taped over the button while in the case to help prevent accidental power ons maybe...

Myself, I keep the batteries out of the AC while in transport. All goes into fitted case with the batteries in their own little slot. Only for the reason of the eggshell foam on the case lid does contact the top of the battery (if installed on the AC). I know it's not enough to do the double tap (or just single tap) to power on the AC, but you never know....
2020-11-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have never heard of that before.
2020-11-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there cioffij, thank you for reaching us out. This inquiry has been assessed already. You can refer to this link https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;orderby=dateline.
Thank you for your understanding.
2020-11-10
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-10 10:48
Hi there cioffij, thank you for reaching us out. This inquiry has been assessed already. You can refer to this link https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=228756&extra=page=1&filter=author&orderby=dateline&orderby=dateline.
Thank you for your understanding.

This response tells us "it has been addressed"???
"I don't think so, Tim".....
Just a loop that goes nowhere.....
I think the question that needs to be answered is that "can the AC turn on by the battery draw down function?"
You may have to charge the battery to full, and watch/wait for the auto discharge to start, and see if the AC powers on for your self, and see what happens...
Charge the sucker up, remove the props, and set it on your desk to watch and see when the battery draw down occurs.....
Kinda have to do your own sleuthing on this one bud....

2020-11-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A strange phenomenon indeed. Probably best to store it with the battery out.
2020-11-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Never heard of such before since 2015, no need for investigation. The button can be very sensitive to touch indeed. By the rule of thumb never leave the battery in drone, simple like that. Charge fully just hours before flight and you'll be a happy camper ...
2020-11-10
Use props
cioffij
lvl.2

United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-10 13:44
Never heard of such before since 2015, no need for investigation. The button can be very sensitive to touch indeed. By the rule of thumb never leave the battery in drone, simple like that. Charge fully just hours before flight and you'll be a happy camper ...

It's never happened to me before either.

In the other thread they are asking for more info, so they have not dismissed me as crazy.

But, I am willing to concede that it is POSSIBLE that the foam on top of the drone did touch the switch. I usually cover the switch with the props when it is folded, making it impossible for that to happen.

So I think I am going to cut some foam off the spot and try again.  The case sits in my office, so I will probably hear it.   And I think the thermal protection will protect the hardware.

If it doesn't happen again after a few tries or letting it start the self-discharge, I will have to chock it up to user error.

2020-11-13
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 11-10 13:24
A strange phenomenon indeed. Probably best to store it with the battery out.

Agreed

Battery out when not ready to start flying.  I never leave my battery in....just in case.  Others will have their opinions,  THIS is MY practice.  It is safe.

Aerial Traffic
Randy
2020-11-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Flycaster Posted at 11-10 11:20
This response tells us "it has been addressed"???
"I don't think so, Tim".....
Just a loop that goes nowhere.....

Read the reply again, he said it had been assessed, not addressed....
2020-11-13
Use props
Robo12
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21299 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The same thing happened to me this morning on my kitchen bench top. My biggest worry is the gimbal trying to calibrate while the gamble guard is on
2021-1-22
Use props
Robo12
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21299 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It happend  to me today. My mavic 2 pro is only 3 weeks old. My biggest worry is how much damage it would have done to the gimbal and camera when it would have been trying to calibrate on start up
2021-1-22
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Flycaster Posted at 2020-11-10 08:59
No I have not heard of a DJI product powering on by itself. But I have heard of them "turning themselves off"....Joking aside:

Yes, if the AC is in the case when powered on, no cooling air for the intake....

2021-1-22
Use props
djiuser_sIgkZdDS3RuG
New
United States

My Mavic 2 just did the same thing sitting on the counter by itself and it turned on.

This is the 2nd time it has done this, must be a firmware issue.

Please help...
2021-3-10
Use props
djiuser_u2YbrPTzI1UL
New

United States

I also had the same thing twice. I have it on a shelf with other cameras and it woke me up when I heard the sound. I thought it could be an update but I just removed the battery and went back to sleep.
2021-3-25
Use props
The Iowa Hiker
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I have an issue that start a couple weeks ago with 1 of my batteries. The instant I plug it in to my Mavic 2 Pro, it starts up the drone. I have tested it with the battery powered on and off, and it still starts up the drone.
2021-4-27
Use props
Sboroblu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 734560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have had it happen twice within 6 weeks, the latter I had the Mavic on a table.  Walked into the room and it was on, lights on, etc.
I have contacted Dji support and their response is to send in a video of the drone, on.  I am not sure what that will achieve.
2021-5-2
Use props
djiuser_xgywNVedd6wz
lvl.1

United States

I to have had this happen to me. I store my Mavic 2 Pro in the DJI hard case in the top of my closet. I was laying in bed one day scrolling through Facebook when I heard it turn on so that eliminates the possibility that a vibration or some kind of movement caused the power button to be pressed. The case was stationary with no possibility of being bumped or vibrated at all. I'm mostly worried about my drone overheating and/or it sustaining damage during the self check due to the gimbal and props not being able to move freely. I store my drone with the battery in so that the foam from the case does not bend the props when I close the lid. Any suggestions are greatly welcome.
2021-7-20
Use props
tonylorenzo
New
Flight distance : 724341 ft
Denmark

This has happened to me multiple times with a Mavic 2 Pro. I never leave the battery in the drone. I've noticed the batteries turning on too when not inserted in the drone, so this problem is 100% originating from the batteries. I'm thinking it's related to the funtionality where batteries can turn on and discharge to a safe point after sitting fully charged for a few days. When the batteries turn on, they probably send a signal to the drone to turn on. This should be fixable by DJI.
2022-1-2
Use props
tonylorenzo
New
Flight distance : 724341 ft
Denmark

Was sitting beside a battery that randomly turned on. Not sure what that blinking is... Anyone? (please excuse the kids in the background playing Nintendo lol) :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwxsGRzkeTM
2022-1-2
Use props
fansfff9427b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3069288 ft
United States

YES?? It just happen 2 me  Oct 8 2023**9:03 pm*** whats really going on **I like DJI but if ppl keep reporting this and it keep happening DJI will get banned in the U.S
IMG_2411.jpeg
IMG_2380.jpeg
2023-10-8
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2020-11-13 18:25
Read the reply again, he said it had been assessed, not addressed....

How to turn a spooky thread into a funny one...  
2023-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules