Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OM4 with iPhone 12 Pro Max compatibility
12Next >
54261 52 2020-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
L44YEK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ive not really come across anything concrete regarding compatability between the OM4 and iPhone 12 Pro Max (and the Mimo app)

My understanding is the wide angle camera uses sensor shift technology- how will this affect stabilisation using the OM4?
Will Mimo make use of the video quality available on this phone?
Will the DJI Osmo mobile Magnetic clamp even fit around the iPhone Pro Max?

So many questions... Answers yet to be disclosed...

I only recently got an OM4- I'm holding off on upgrading my phone for now.

Some clarity on this would be appreciated from DJI.
2020-11-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hoping it does work as my 12 arrives tomorrow.
2020-11-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello L44YEK, thank you for reaching us out and I appreciate your inquiry. Below are the iOS devices that is compatible to use with the Osmo Mobile 4. You also check this link for complete reference https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... bility_List_en2.pdf

I will forward this feedback to our developers. And for now, I would suggest you to please check our website from time to time as it will surely posted once it is listed in our website compatible device. Thank you for understanding and your support.

2020-11-12
Use props
djiuser_WxC01JliSLkh
New

United States

Hi - I got my iPhone 12 pro last week and was just going to purchase my 1st gimble ..... and was planning to get the OM4.  However, after seeing there is a compatibility issue (clamp and app) with no timing on a resolution I will have to pass.  I realize the clamp is a different issue (that doesn’t concern me), but compatibility is a big deal.  If something can be posted quickly with an ETA on a hardware and/or software upgrade I’ll wait if it’s w/I’m reason.  Given that the new iPhones are avail I’m hopeful this is a priority since I assume I’m not the only person with a 12 that wants a new or upgrade gimble ASAP.  Monty.Ross1@gmail.com
2020-11-12
Use props
Dark Companion
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_WxC01JliSLkh Posted at 11-12 15:01
Hi - I got my iPhone 12 pro last week and was just going to purchase my 1st gimble ..... and was planning to get the OM4.  However, after seeing there is a compatibility issue (clamp and app) with no timing on a resolution I will have to pass.  I realize the clamp is a different issue (that doesn’t concern me), but compatibility is a big deal.  If something can be posted quickly with an ETA on a hardware and/or software upgrade I’ll wait if it’s w/I’m reason.  Given that the new iPhones are avail I’m hopeful this is a priority since I assume I’m not the only person with a 12 that wants a new or upgrade gimble ASAP.  Monty.Ross1@gmail.com

I'm also waiting for clarification on the iPhone 12 status going forward. I have an 12 Pro Max and was about to buy a OM4 but obviously I'm putting that purchase on hold.
I can't wait indefinitely for clarification before having to find an alternative option.
2020-11-13
Use props
djiuser_HhW0NRYUHZak
lvl.1
Ireland

Yeah I think it’s a major slip up by DJI. I’m due a12 pro max next week but going with another brand for my gimbal needs now. Shame because I really wanted the OM4.
2020-11-14
Use props
Pianojunky
lvl.1

United States

Received my 12 Pro Max yesterday. I have not done extensive work with the 12 Pro Max/OM 4 yet. I can tell you that the clamp does fit around the phone and secures to the OM 4, with the new design, it is very close to the volume buttons. If you have a case on the phone, I do not think the clamp will fit. I know DJI has yet to approve the 12 Pro Max, but in my brief test it seemed okay. I will be using it a lot next week and hopefully all will work. I am a little worried about the weight difference, as it is noticeable. After my use next week I will try to post an update.
2020-11-14
Use props
bryanduke1
lvl.1
United States

I agree with @Pianojunky that the 12 Pro Max works with the OM 4 as long as you do not have a case on it. I have tried even the slimmest case and the clamp does not fit. I always use an OtterBox Defender due to my job and needing good phone protection. I plan to attach the stick-on mount to the belt clip cover that comes with my otterbox. I will have to remove the belt clip itself and also do some trimming to remove the material that covers the cameras. I will also remove as much of the belt clip cover as possible to lighten the load. I have done similar mods before making a mount for a specific need. It would be great if DJI would just recognize the need and make a larger mount. I would buy one if they did.  Maybe somebody should create a bracket with a good area to affix the stick-on mount.
2020-11-14
Use props
djiuser_YLDMN2Gj6ZUA
New

Sweden

Pianojunky let us know how it goes. I’m having an OM4 and are waiting on my 12 max so are very curious how it works together.
2020-11-14
Use props
luzsa2004
New

United States

All very helpful information. We're expecting our OM4 to arrive this week. DJI -- when do you anticipate adding iPhone 12 to your compatibility list? For those of us using the iPhone 11 and eagerly looking toward upgrading to iPhone 12 -- in part because of the additional welcome video/photo capabilities -- will require the necessary compatibility to be able to continue to use the OM4 product.
2020-11-14
Use props
bryanduke1
lvl.1
United States

I picked up an OtterBox Defender Pro case today for my iPhone 12 Pro Max and modified the belt clip attachment and it seems to work great so far. Here is a link to a short video, at the end of the video there are a few photos of the rough modded belt clip. I will be doing some fine sanding and a little more work on it, but I wanted to make sure it worked before I spent a lot of time. Hopefully, this might help anybody else until DJI decides to support this amazing new phone. https://youtu.be/0inSVHljZ3A
2020-11-15
Use props
Pianojunky
lvl.1

United States

Pianojunky Posted at 11-14 10:06
Received my 12 Pro Max yesterday. I have not done extensive work with the 12 Pro Max/OM 4 yet. I can tell you that the clamp does fit around the phone and secures to the OM 4, with the new design, it is very close to the volume buttons. If you have a case on the phone, I do not think the clamp will fit. I know DJI has yet to approve the 12 Pro Max, but in my brief test it seemed okay. I will be using it a lot next week and hopefully all will work. I am a little worried about the weight difference, as it is noticeable. After my use next week I will try to post an update.

Used the two together for a couple of hours today. Overall good experience, the one issue I ran into is the phone is taller than the 11 Pro Max. 2 times the bottom of the phone hit the gimbal, never had this happen with the 11Pro Max. Other than that, it was a great experience. Also should mention, I used the stock camera app to take advantage of the hdr video, and it looks awesome on the phone.
2020-11-17
Use props
djiuser_SrVzgfLUtN9u
New
Canada

Pianojunky Posted at 11-17 16:10
Used the two together for a couple of hours today. Overall good experience, the one issue I ran into is the phone is taller than the 11 Pro Max. 2 times the bottom of the phone hit the gimbal, never had this happen with the 11Pro Max. Other than that, it was a great experience. Also should mention, I used the stock camera app to take advantage of the hdr video, and it looks awesome on the phone.

I got my 12 PM the other day as well, and have had no issues with teh clamp to this point.  I also have my phone in a thin case.  Phone seems stable and secure, I have no concerns about it losing grip whatsoever.  Overall seems ok!
2020-11-19
Use props
westonaerial
lvl.3
Flight distance : 168540 ft
United States

At the end, does the OM4 stands the iPhone 12 Pro Max weight and size or not?  Please, I appreciate your comments.
2020-11-29
Use props
djiuser_QVOfxtOtgZbw
New

Canada

Well now. Obviously I didn’t get the memo that the DJI OM4 wasn’t  compatible with the iPhone 12 Pro MAX. My bad. I reviewed  dozens of YouTube videos and it just never dawned on me that it wouldn’t be compatible with the latest iPhone. Not sure if I should keep it in hope that a software upgrade will be forth coming ... or return it. I have till January 31st, 2021 to return.  

Very disappointed. I recently got the DJI Mini 2 and that has been great. Was hoping to keep all my accessories DJI.
2020-12-3
Use props
GeorgOctane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 285807 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Can someone shed some light on what is currently not working on the iPhone 12?
Because I have a 12 Pro Max and besides the topic of the clamp not holding the phone securely with a case (!!) everything seems to be working for me.

Mimo app is running and at least all features I tried worked without a flaw.

BR,
Georg
2020-12-3
Use props
L44YEK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

iPhone 12 Pro Max users- whats your observations with the new sensor shift technology in the main camera? Any noticeable jittering/ shaking?
2020-12-4
Use props
djiuser_ZwqVBa58S54b
lvl.1

Germany

The 12 Pro Max is working fine on the OM 4
2020-12-5
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

L44YEK Posted at 12-4 01:34
iPhone 12 Pro Max users- whats your observations with the new sensor shift technology in the main camera? Any noticeable jittering/ shaking?

Yes, some only on the main camera,
2020-12-5
Use props
djiuser_wgmCMf90qWpy
lvl.1

Poland

bryanduke1@gmail.com Posted at 11-15 15:51
I picked up an OtterBox Defender Pro case today for my iPhone 12 Pro Max and modified the belt clip attachment and it seems to work great so far. Here is a link to a short video, at the end of the video there are a few photos of the rough modded belt clip. I will be doing some fine sanding and a little more work on it, but I wanted to make sure it worked before I spent a lot of time. Hopefully, this might help anybody else until DJI decides to support this amazing new phone. https://youtu.be/0inSVHljZ3A
Hi , the youtube link is unavailable . Is there a chance for a repost?   I bought the gimbal hoping i will be able to attach it with iphone 12 pro max with a case on , and it is an issue
2020-12-8
Use props
djiuser_rauKi2MkCYaW
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_ZwqVBa58S54b Posted at 12-5 01:36
The 12 Pro Max is working fine on the OM 4

Are you using a case?  If so, which one?  
2020-12-8
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

To my disappointment I shot a video using the iPhone 12 Pro Max
and I was standing still and hoping the video would be extra smooth and stable but I was wrong. For some reason there is a floaty effect when using the 2.5x Tele. I’m now adding stablizer in Premiere Pro.
I did upgrade from the iPhone XS Max and that was brilliant.

I know the kinks will be ironed out but not perfect.

Also I’ve uploaded some phones of the clamp not fitting properly to another thread I started.
2020-12-9
Use props
djiuser_ZwqVBa58S54b
lvl.1

Germany

djiuser_rauKi2MkCYaW Posted at 12-8 21:29
Are you using a case?  If so, which one?

Hi!
No, i had no case on it.
But i think using a very thin silicone case might enable to fix the clamp on it.
2020-12-9
Use props
djiuser_rauKi2MkCYaW
lvl.1

United States

My bet is that we may not see iPhone 12 Pro Max compatibility resolved until OM 5 comes out.  We may even see Mag Safe integration at that time.
2020-12-20
Use props
Rossco65
New

Australia

I'm a total newbie admittedly but I used my iPhone 12 pro max on the Om 4 to record shots at a function last night and EVERY single shot will need to be stabilised in Final Cut. I'm mightily annoyed. I would've been better off shooting the whole night hand held and trusting the sensor in the iPhone as I did before I got the gimbal.
I did make sure the iphone was out of its case, correctly balanced and aligned etc. It feels like the phone is too heavy for the gimbal sometimes.
2020-12-21
Use props
Anna_Clbx
New

France

Pianojunky Posted at 11-14 10:06
Received my 12 Pro Max yesterday. I have not done extensive work with the 12 Pro Max/OM 4 yet. I can tell you that the clamp does fit around the phone and secures to the OM 4, with the new design, it is very close to the volume buttons. If you have a case on the phone, I do not think the clamp will fit. I know DJI has yet to approve the 12 Pro Max, but in my brief test it seemed okay. I will be using it a lot next week and hopefully all will work. I am a little worried about the weight difference, as it is noticeable. After my use next week I will try to post an update.

Hi, thanks for sharing this info, can you share your feedback now please?
i have the 12 pro Max too and was about to buy the DJI OM4 ..
2020-12-22
Use props
djiuser_4Y4EsbtrwBjX
New
Flight distance : 20203 ft
United States

I can verify that the OM4 does NOT work with the 12 Pro Max too.  At first I thought it was my incorrect use, but it’s clear that there is something amiss.  Here’s to hoping that it can be fixed with an update in the future.
2020-12-23
Use props
djiuser_ElvOX7v63vWd
New
Flight distance : 10479 ft
United States

I have the iPhone 12 PM and have had several issues with it staying stable.  When using active track it will stay locked on but once the individual or object being tracked moves to quickly (not running or jumping, more just a quicker walk than normal) it will lose it and not lock back on.  As others have stated, the iPhone itself is very unstable and moves a lot.  At first I thought it was just a defective gimble so I took it back and got a second one and unfortunately same results.  I did reach out to DJI and they did confirm they had just finished testing the iPhone but the engineers where still taking feed back to finalized any adjustments needed I guess.   I was told they would reach out to me to work with me in getting the issue resolved.  We did test also with the Note 20 Ultra which according to DJI has not been tested and therefore they will not state it is compatible with the OM4 but yielded the same results.  I am using a case, which is the Spigen Ultra Hybrid and the clamp fits perfectly.  Does not move or slide but since I was having issues I did remove it for testing purposes just to eliminate the possibility of weight and maybe case issues but still got the same results.  Do hope this helps, or any feedback anyone can give me would be great to get the OM4 to stabilize so I can get better shots.   
2020-12-28
Use props
HiTechSlater
New

United Kingdom

Evening All. I have only last week upgraded to the Iphone 12 PRO MAX and have been researching for the perfect DJI product to use for my filming etc. I purchased the OM4 yesterday and stumbled across these forums as I have neved used any sort of Gimbal to assist me with my docs/interviews etc and decided to look into buying one. It turns out that I have found that the 12 pro max lacks compatability with this model. I therefore, refunded my purchase this morning as there really is no point in having this if half of the functions do not work. Not to mention the problems people have been having just getting the phone to stay secured in the bracket. Im guessing this will not be sorted anytime soon with regards to getting a solution for these problems with the 12 pro max. Does anyone have any other reccomendations for other products that do very similar to this? or would you suggest waiting it out and hoping that DJI will find something in the near future to eliminate these issues? it seems to be mostly a software issue and lack of functions but topped with the fitting issue i dont know how realistic it is until something is done about this? Many thanks
2020-12-29
Use props
Sir Oliver
lvl.1
Slovenia

Hi,

I am using dji om4 with iPhone 12 PM and i  haven’t had so far any serious issues with this combination. Yes, it is true that there are things that have to be improved, like clamp which obviously is not meant to be used with changed shape of the iPhone 12 models. Although it  works pretty well  with Spigen Quartz Hybrid  case i have on my phone. I’ve noticed that dji mimo app does not connect always with the phone via Bluetooth when stared (workaround is to switch off/on Bluetooth on the phone). Also Dolby Vision HDR video/photo  (and probably some other iPhone 12 specific features) is not supported yet,  but this is something that will be hopefully added very soon. By than you can use gimbal with excellent Filmic pro app which supports basic (including  indirectly  even 4  video modes from dji mimo app) and some extended gimbal functionalities (unfortunately some complex modes  time/hyperlapse , pan, ..do not work). Or you can also use apple's camera app (only basic functionalities ). At the moment there is also no way  to select 2.5x Tele from the dji mimo app  - actually  you have to push zoom button very gently to get 2.5 x value but I  am  not sure if this is a digital zoom (main camera) or this is actually tele camera/lens (has to be fixed).
I haven’t noticed any big issues with  active tracking (even when target is changing its speed or direction). No issues with stabilization except perhaps one, which is probably bug - so when you switch  to some other  video mode,  horizontal level of the phone is also altered (disbalanced)  - in this case i re-run calibration/clamp alignment process again otherwise soon after that, notification pops up, that the phone is not balanced.
So, from my side everything looks pretty well and will be even better when mentioned things are fixed/improved.
Considering that this gimbal  is not professional piece of equipment and that obviously dji was not prepared for the release of the new iPhones, it works surprisingly well.
2020-12-29
Use props
Gabriel Quintana
lvl.1

Spain

Definitely after reading all the comments I am leaving for the competition, it is ridiculous to maintain the amount of problems that this duo is causing.
2020-12-30
Use props
Sir Oliver
lvl.1
Slovenia

Hi,

Actually, I was not able to find any other smartphone gimbal that would work with iPhone 12 PM, so, that could handle its weight and size (dji om 4 supports up to 290gr, my  iphone with the case  has  about 270gr). And i didn't notice that om4 would have any issues with the such load. This  is the strongest point of this gimbal. I was about to buy Crane M2 that handles even higher loads  (and it is better in general) but decided not to because, according to  reviews, calibration/alignment  process for mobile phones is mission impossible (for cameras is ok).
Other  pros are: magnetic clamp that drastically simplifies use, calibration process and overall stability  and also very important feature for me is support of Filmic pro app  (I wouldn't buy it without  this)
2020-12-30
Use props
niclariv
lvl.1

Canada

I have the 12 Pro Max, and bought a DJI OM 4.  Here's what I've found:
There is no issue with the clamp securely holding the phone.  It may seem a bit funny because the clamp edges are rounded and the edge of the phone is not, but it still holds it securely. If I just put the phone in the clamp and give it a shake, there's no wiggle, so that isn't a problem.

The big problem is that the horizon is not level. When I first start the gimbal, it's just not level - tilted one way or the other.  I tried the gimbal calibration and it seemed to work - the horizon was level... but if I put the gimbal away for a while and try it again, once again the horizon isn't level.  I shouldn't possibly have to recalibrate it at every use, right?  That would be very, very inconvenient, and I never once had to calibrate the gimbal on my old Zhiyun Smooth Q.

Things I've tried so far:
•Returning the first gimbal and exchanging it, thinking I just got a defective one - the new one is exactly the same
•Running the gimbal calibration several times
•Doing the manual horizon calibration

Manually calibrating the horizon in the app seems to have had the best result so far.  When I had just done the automatic gimbal calibration, if time went by and I fired the gimbal up again, the horizon would be noticeably off - it seems always tilted to the same side.  It seems that now that I've done the manual calibration, it's 'better' - though not perfect.. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed if it had started off this way, but now that I've noticed that before I did the manual calibration there was an issue, plus I've got grid lines turned on, I can't 'unsee' it.  

Note that I don't think the problem is because of the iPhone 12 Pro Max.  I stuck my old iPhone X in the gimbal (which is erased so I can sell it, so I didn't actually run the camera app, just looked at how it sat in the gimbal) and it appeared that the horizon was titled by about the same amount before I did the manual calibration.. so unless the iPhone X is too light for what this gimbal is expecting, and the iPhone 12 is giving it a different problem, I think the issue is with the reliability of the gimbal in general.  

Funny if I try to google my horizon issue not much comes up, I'd think it would be a more common problem.  Has anyone else experienced this? Any fix for it?  I'd like to figure this out quickly while I'm still in the return period.
2021-1-1
Use props
Sir Oliver
lvl.1
Slovenia

niclariv Posted at 1-1 12:45
There is no issue with the clamp securely holding the phone.  It may seem a bit funny because the clamp edges are rounded and the edge of the phone is not, but it still holds it securely. If I just put the phone in the clamp and give it a shake, there's no wiggle, so that isn't a problem.

Hi,

I can also confirm this behavior (iphones 8 and 12 PM) and probably many others,  as this issue has been reported many times in this forum. Specifically,  it is related to panorama and  FPV video modes (what I have noticed) . So when you switch from  some other  video mode (TiltLocked, Follow...) to Video FPV or Pano,  horizontal level of the phone gets altered (disbalanced), usually in direction right-down (about 2-3°). If you go back, to any other mode, gimbal goes to balanced position. If you try this few times, notification pops up that phone is not balanced any more and that (re)calibration is needed (or something like that).

DJI Support (not sure anymore,  if it really exists for this product), mostly ignores this and many other questions related to found issues or provides some patented responds that really do not help. No workaround or formal solution (perhaps this is a feature, but we don't know know what is its purpose).  
2021-1-4
Use props
Chris_E
lvl.3
Flight distance : 243474 ft
  • >>>
Germany

niclariv Posted at 1-1 12:45

Exactly the same issue here. You are not alone. I Hope, DJI can fix this. I still have two weeks left to return it, keeping my fingers crossed.
2021-1-4
Use props
djiuser_OaSNN7j27vhA
lvl.1
United States

I have had my 12 pro Max from the earliest point of availability. Prior to receiving it I wanted to purchase the OM4 but saw no compatibility with the 12 lineup. I reached out to DJI and after a couple non response responses I was told the issues were the square sides on the phone and the new camera (Mimi app I assume), etc. I was told that they were working on what to do. It’s been a couple months now and not a peep, no updates or potential release date. I want the OM4 but likely going another direction now. Sad DJI was not on top of this or maybe it’s not a priority as the OM4 is not a big enough seller to invest in these changes who knows but I would have thought they would have been out ahead of the 12 lineup release. At least give us some concrete updates! To bad.
2021-1-4
Use props
JesseC1006
New

United States

I wish I researched before I bought the Gimble last night.  Yes I can return it I suppose.  I'm overweight with my ProMax and the case on it.  Although the Gimble still functions for the most part.  If I remove the case and weigh that and the clip I am under 290.  I don't really wanna use this without a case in case it does fall off.  However I didn't test the gimble (for the most part) with out the case on.  Hoping some kind of update comes out to fix the issues.  If not looks like it will be going back to the store.
2021-1-7
Use props
djiuser_XmLVfYr5DjX2
lvl.1
United States

I wanted to let everyone know, that iPhone 12 pro max, works great with osmo 3, with a case, or without, I haven’t tried big bulky cases like OtterBox, but my spigen case works just fine. The osmo 4 requires the iPhone to be naked, with no case, thats a big no no for me.
2021-1-12
Use props
LJinATL
lvl.2
United States

I'm definitely returning my OM4.  There's just too many annoying quirks when using it with the iPhone 12 Pro Max.  I may consider the Osmo 3 as I've realized that I don't care for the magnetic mount feature at all with this phone.  It's too much of a pain to take the case off and attach the magnetic bracket, worrying about dropping my naked phone the whole time.  Unless there's a negative that I'm missing, I don't see the quick magnetic attachment process as being that much of a feature vs. using a normal bracket like the Osmo 3 has.  

Is weight not a problem with the Osmo 3 and the 12 Pro Max?  Half the time when I start up the OM4 with my 12PM, the gimbal does a sad little 'go limp' thing after I turn it on and it centers up the phone.  It's like it just got tired and gave up.  That makes me think the 12PM is pushing the OM4's weight limit and it has a better motor than the Osmo 3.  
2021-1-12
Use props
Matt996
lvl.1
Flight distance : 944183 ft
United Kingdom

It works for me but I had to remove the case. The gimbal was twitching when I had a case on.
2021-2-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules