ipad 2 mini vs. ipad air 2 with p3p
1849 17 2015-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
devin_mcnulty
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone have experience using both? I'm wondering if the A8 processor would perform better than the A7 in terms of the lagging fpv caused by over heating and other issues...

Also wondering if A8 processor would have a better fpv image quality... The quality on my mini is marginal at best, pretty disappointing. It's much better on my iphone 6, so I'm thinking of trading up to the ipad air2.
2015-6-27
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I've got the Mini 3 and the picture is great. The pixel density is 326 PPI.

The iPad Air 2 has a pixel density of 264 PPI.

The larger screen size of the Air 2 allows for the lower pixel density. The Air 2 uses the M8 motion coprocessor which if faster combined with the A8X main processor.

Have you tired a anti-glare tare off or a devise hood if you're having problems seeing?
2015-6-27
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I prefer the iPad air 2 due to the faster processor.  It works very well with P3P.   If you go with a larger screen like the iPad air 2 I would suggest buying the inspire 1 device holder and putting it on the P3 controller.  It is much more solid and eliminates the wobble.  It makes a big difference.   At least it did with mine.  
2015-6-27
Use props
devin_mcnulty
lvl.1

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-28 06:56

The iPad Air 2 has a pi ...

Yeah I'm wondering if it's just my ipad mini 2, because it seems like others don't have any problems with theirs. I made my own sun shade out of cardboard, and it doesn't seem to affect the image quality with it on or off, still pretty mediocre. I think tomorrow is the last day I can take the ipad mini back, so I've got a decision to make here...
2015-6-28
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-28
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Were you having lag problems with the ipad 2 mini before the FW update also?
lf so, then yeah you might think of taking it back. Mine is perfect for the job, no lag, no issues with overheating.
2015-6-28
Use props
devin_mcnulty
lvl.1

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-6-28 22:33
Were you having lag problems with the ipad 2 mini before the FW update also?
lf so, then yeah you mi ...

I think so, before and after. Does yours work fine after the FW update?
2015-6-28
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

devin_mcnulty Posted at 2015-6-28 22:49
I think so, before and after. Does yours work fine after the FW update?

l haven't done one, l'm still on 1.1.6 and will stay there until they force an upgrade.
l bought the ipad 2 mini just for use with the P3 and it's been flawless. lt does get warm, it's summer here, but l wouldn't say it's close to hot or overheating. lt has no lag or pixelation, it's been exactly what l expected when l bought it.
2015-6-28
Use props
mikesher.live
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123045 ft
  • >>>
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-28 06:56

The iPad Air 2 has a pi ...

I love the Pilot app on the iPad Air2, even live streaming the image is smooth... However, I'm not happy with screen brightness.  I'm using a Moshi anti-glare/screen protector.  Seriously considering returning the iPad Air2 getting a Mini 3, but a little concerned with the reduction in processing power.   Might even consider an iPhone 6+ just to get the best FPV image quality.
2015-6-28
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been using the iPad Air 2, no problems.
2015-6-28
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

mikesher.live Posted at 2015-6-29 00:48
I love the Pilot app on the iPad Air2, even live streaming the image is smooth... However, I'm not ...

I'm using the anti-glare protector in addition to the hood being sold on eBay. As long as the screen is tilted somewhat down, you won't have a problem.

I'm waiting for the next version iPdoducts coming out in September.

Just me, I wouldn't use a phone for the FPV devise. The Pilot app sucks a lot of power. The last thing I need or want is the phone being dead when I need it. YRWV.
2015-6-28
Use props
devin_mcnulty
lvl.1

United States

dlongcamp@aol.c Posted at 2015-6-28 07:02
I prefer the iPad air 2 due to the faster processor.  It works very well with P3P.   If you go with  ...

what's the difference between the Inspire 1 device holder and the one that comes on the P3? Is it just sturdier? I looks the exact same on Amazon.

I went ahead and did it, traded the mini 2 in for the Air 2. I think it was the right move. I just did a quick flight around the golf course I live on and it seems way better in terms of image quality/lag. I think the processor will handle the app better now and in the future, or at least I'm telling myself that to justify the purchase.

For anyone who has cell service on their tablet, I highly recommend Ting. It's really cheap, no contract, and you only pay for what you use. They use the Sprint, and verizon networks, but are their own company. I don't work for them or anything, I'm just impressed with their company, and consider other service providers I've had experience with to sit somewhere between pedophiles and racist serial killers on the scale of moral and practical value.
2015-6-28
Use props
garywin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 686834 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-6-29 00:57
I've been using the iPad Air 2, no problems.

Same here. I've used both and prefer the iPad Air 2
2015-6-28
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

devin_mcnulty Posted at 2015-6-29 07:09
what's the difference between the Inspire 1 device holder and the one that comes on the P3? Is it  ...

The inspire 1 holder is just sturdier.  The base is metal instead of plastic which cuts down on the wobble.   you were mentioning the cell service on the iPad.  I have been using my iPhone as a hotspot when Im out in the field and using it to connect on the iPad air 2 when I need it.  It really works well.  Your set up sounds good as well.  I think you will enjoy the iPad air 2 a lot.  Its been fantastic.  One thing to watch is letting it get to hot out in the sun.  I picked up a  pad hat sunshade which really helps it stay cool not to mention you can see the screen on a sunny day.  
2015-7-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

My first tablet to fly with, was an iPad Air 2. But it didn't have cellular.
So I took it back in exchange for an iPad Mini cellular.
But I prefer the larger screen, so tomorrow, I'm returning it, and getting another iPad Air with Cellular and anti glare screen... ;-)

They both work equally, nearly as well as the other.

Make up my mind, much? Ok ok!!

RedHotPoker
2015-7-1
Use props
marmuel
lvl.1

Germany

I use

- IPhone 6
- IPad mini 2
- IPad Air 2

In the quality of the image I see no difference. This is already difficult because a smaller image sometimes 'better' appears.

Performance: This win clearly the iPad 2. air with the iPhone and iPad 2 mini I have more lags and delays.

All Android devices, however, were much worse.

Cheers Marco
2015-7-1
Use props
Roboionator
lvl.1

Slovenia

hi
gps yes or...?
thx
2015-7-15
Use props
Striket
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508612 ft
Singapore

I use the iPad Air 2 just like the rest...
It did overheat and came up a message on the screen that the iPad needs to cool down before it can be used.
But that was during 12pm in the hot and sunny afternoon and after the period of running through 2 batteries on the Phantom.
2015-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules