8243 128 2020-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This poll is for people who presently own the DJI Mavic Air 2 and live in a European country that is going to adopt the new EASA regulations from 31/12/2020. Given that the MA2 weighs 250g or more and is not CE classified it's use will be restricted to the A3 subcategory of the open category as a legacy transitional drone: 'no people present in the flight area'. In view of this what are you intending to do with the drone come the new year?
Single SelectVote, Total 84 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

This is not the subcategory A1 for the mavic air 2
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
France

Indeed A3 now they are very boring, they have no other things to give a ... more important
2020-11-13
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Missing: Keep my MA2 and fly as I am now - do not ignoring the EASA regs
What is going in UK, same regs as EU?
2020-11-13
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

By the way, there is not really a difference between more or less 250. There is a biiiiig spy cam on all...
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
France

DaMa Posted at 11-13 06:06
By the way, there is not really a difference between more or less 250. There is a biiiiig spy cam on all...

lol yes missed to those who thought the mini2 would not be concerned
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 11-13 05:57
This is not the subcategory A1 for the mavic air 2

I know - thats why I did the poll
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 11-13 06:01
Indeed A3 now they are very boring, they have no other things to give a ... more important

Very restricted subcategory
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaMa Posted at 11-13 06:02
Missing: Keep my MA2 and fly as I am now - do not ignoring the EASA regs
What is going in UK, same regs as EU?

We have our own drone code but will be taking on the EASA regs when they come into effect
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaMa Posted at 11-13 06:06
By the way, there is not really a difference between more or less 250. There is a biiiiig spy cam on all...

I believe the weight of the drone refers to the potential severity of an injury to a third party in the event of a crash
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 11-13 06:29
lol yes missed to those who thought the mini2 would not be concerned
The Mini 2 can be flown in the A1 subcat without any tests
2020-11-13
Use props
Acerr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1857936 ft
Poland

Probably MA2 will be able to get new certification and you can fly as C1 drone in A1. Of course if DJI will help us with that.
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
France

A J Posted at 11-13 06:37
Very restricted subcategory

I wonder now should I buy the Mavic air2 and not take my head with the laws. (There is not a policeman behind each pilot lol) Or abandoned the idea and stop the drone..
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Acerr Posted at 11-13 06:45
Probably MA2 will be able to get new certification and you can fly as C1 drone in A1. Of course if DJI will help us with that.

That is yet to be confirmed if it ever happens as much debate on CE classification not being issued retrospectively - at the time of writing all MA2's will fall straight into the A3 subcategory at the end of next month.
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 11-13 06:47
I wonder now should I buy the Mavic air2 and not take my head with the laws. (There is not a policeman behind each pilot lol) Or abandoned the idea and stop the drone..

Tough decision to make if yet to buy one. I can see many just flying as they are now but who knows when that well informed police officer taps you on the shoulder flying a 570g drone near people in the local park without an A2CofC and slaps a four-figure fine on your ...
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
France

A J Posted at 11-13 06:51
Tough decision to make if yet to buy one. I can see many just flying as they are now but who knows when that well informed police officer taps you on the shoulder flying a 570g drone near people in the local park without an A2CofC and slaps a four-figure fine on your ...

yes we are not safe unfortunately ... Or play ignorance and tell him I did not know Mr. Agent when I bought the drone the seller did not tell me about it lol
Yes I have not bought it yet I admit that I am looking for an alternative to mavic air2 but I find no serious competitors in the same range
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 11-13 07:02
yes we are not safe unfortunately ... Or play ignorance and tell him I did not know Mr. Agent when I bought the drone the seller did not tell me about it lol
Yes I have not bought it yet I admit that I am looking for an alternative to mavic air2 but I find no serious competitors in the same range

It's a difficult position to be in - the Mini 2 is a good upgrade to the Mavic Mini but it is still far from an MA2 in almost every area. I am considering selling the MA2 though and downgrading to the Mini 2... The ability to fly over people in a built up area than only flying in areas where there is nobody present is a massive consideration and outweighs the better camera etc on the MA2. Other than spending hundreds of pounds taking the A2CofC which will be overkill for my needs the only remaining option is to take your chances with the law - not something I do or recommend in any regard.
2020-11-13
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 11-13 06:51
Tough decision to make if yet to buy one. I can see many just flying as they are now but who knows when that well informed police officer taps you on the shoulder flying a 570g drone near people in the local park without an A2CofC and slaps a four-figure fine on your ...

A clear case for me. If someone goes flying like this without the necessary money in the pocket... own fault. There are many of them...
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaMa Posted at 11-13 07:20
A clear case for me. If someone goes flying like this without the necessary money in the pocket... own fault. There are many of them...

Indeed - as we say here - "if you can't do the time don't do the crime"!
2020-11-13
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 11-13 07:17
It's a difficult position to be in - the Mini 2 is a good upgrade to the Mavic Mini but it is still far from an MA2 in almost every area. I am considering selling the MA2 though and downgrading to the Mini 2... The ability to fly over people in a built up area than only flying in areas where there is nobody present is a massive consideration and outweighs the better camera etc on the MA2. Other than spending hundreds of pounds taking the A2CofC which will be overkill for my needs the only remaining option is to take your chances with the law - not something I do or recommend in any regard.

"The ability to fly over people in a built up area.. "

Forget it, you can't do that with a camera ... at least here in DE ...
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
France

Everything is still a little blurry yet, let's wait until 2021 for tt to be clear.
I don't want to be outlawed, but the more restrictions there are, the more slippages there will be
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaMa Posted at 11-13 07:32
"The ability to fly over people in a built up area.. "

You will be able to here in line with the new EASA regs if flying in the A1 subcategory with a drone weighing <250g

2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 11-13 07:41
Everything is still a little blurry yet, let's wait until 2021 for tt to be clear.
I don't want to be outlawed, but the more restrictions there are, the more slippages there will be

It is clear mate - here are the 48 pages of rules, at least for the UK

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/doc ... 0June2020%20cor.pdf
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
France

A J Posted at 11-13 08:02
It is clear mate - here are the 48 pages of rules, at least for the UK

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1789%20Edition3%20June2020%20cor.pdf

I am French lol in France some points remain unclear
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 11-13 08:08

Yes, we can only comment on our own countries I guess - even if these regulations are designed to bring the EU into one lol
2020-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 11-13 07:17

Considering M2 after just buying your second MA2?  Now that is going to take a lot of "weighing" all the pros and cons, especially with your new EASA regs coming in just over a month.  You UK/EU fliers have some big decisions to make.  Still waiting on final revised regs here in US to drop. Could get very interesting, very fast.
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-13 08:14
Considering M2 after just buying your second MA2?  Now that is going to take a lot of "weighing" all the pros and cons, especially with your new EASA regs coming in just over a month.  You UK/EU fliers have some big decisions to make.  Still waiting on final revised regs here in US to drop. Could get very interesting, very fast.

I will still get a good price for the MA2 on Ebay and more than enough to get the Mini 2 FMC with some extras but it will be a downgrade, no denying it. That said I don't want to be pushed in to the middle of nowhere to fly without the risk of a fine and I am not paying £250 to sit an exam to fly it 50m away from people for two years. I don't use my drone/s to make money. Thats why I did this poll to get an understanding of where people are at in terms of their intentions - I suspect not everyone are even aware and I can see a lot of fines next year from non registration of Mini's to people flying larger Mavic's and Phantom's in local parks around other people. It's all unfolding now - and this is merely the beginning!
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
France

VanzPix Posted at 11-13 08:08

Well when I look at the videos of drone professionals on this subject, they all say that there will certainly be some changes for France. It is a European Law but after each country and in its right to change a few paragraphs from what I understood
2020-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 11-13 08:20
I will still get a good price for the MA2 on Ebay and more than enough to get the Mini 2 FMC with some extras but it will be a downgrade, no denying it. That said I don't want to be pushed in to the middle of nowhere to fly without the risk of a fine and I am not paying £250 to sit an exam to fly it 50m away from people for two years. I don't use my drone/s to make money. Thats why I did this poll to get an understanding of where people are at in terms of their intentions - I suspect not everyone is ever aware and I can see a lot of fines next year from non registration of Mini's to people flying larger Mavic's and Phantom's in local parks around other people. It's all unfolding now - and this is merely the beginning!

With respect to not everyone knowing the law I would say that from my law books I would offer:

Ignorantia juris non excusat (ignorance of the law is not an excuse) is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely because one was unaware of its content.  Laws are considered to be instituted when promulgated/published to the public.  

Even though it would be impossible, even for someone with substantial legal training, to be aware of every law in operation, this is the price paid to ensure that willful blindness cannot become the basis of exculpation.  In other words in the case of not following drone laws "ignorance is not bliss".

I'm sure you know some will follow the new laws and others will just blow it off until they get hit with a hefty fine.  If fines don't work then they definitely will make the laws even more stricter whereby only commercial venues will be able to fly drones.  That would be a sad day for sure.  Hope we never reach that point, but in today's society it could happen.
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
France

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-13 09:21
With respect to not everyone knowing the law I would say that from my law books I would offer:

Ignorantia juris non excusat (ignorance of the law is not an excuse) is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely because one was unaware of its content.  Laws are considered to be instituted when promulgated/published to the public.  
Otherwise it's still what they're trying to do little by little. Eliminate all recreational drones from the sky.
For example in France since the beginning of the year only 4 accidents related to drones. What's still tiny.
Which does not justify such laws in our country.
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 11-13 09:12
Well when I look at the videos of drone professionals on this subject, they all say that there will certainly be some changes for France. It is a European Law but after each country and in its right to change a few paragraphs from what I understood

The regs will be the base model then each country will make adjustments how they see fit - as long as those adjustments are laws and not ‘guidelines’.
2020-11-13
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Well, this is another example of unhappy regulation made by bureaucrats. We had clear rules (in our country) with quite balanced safety (of uninvolved people, airports and city centers) and freedom (for pilots). I never heard about incident (as a reason for new legislation) and now should be hobby flying almost banned by uninformed (not voted) officers... and stupid rules make me mad!
I will wait for implementation of new rules, don't want to switch to M2 at the moment...
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-13 09:21

Very good points - ignorance is most certainly no excuse and stands as no defence.

Laws have already changed here making fines ‘unlimited’ so it is something people really do need to take seriously - some of our judges still think we are an Empire in their wigs and robes lol and are not the nicest people to be stood in front of for committing a crime...  
2020-11-13
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
France

virtual Posted at 11-13 09:41
Well, this is another example of unhappy regulation made by bureaucrats. We had clear rules (in our country) with quite balanced safety (of uninvolved people, airports and city centers) and freedom (for pilots). I never heard about incident (as a reason for new legislation) and now should be hobby flying almost banned by uninformed (not voted) officers... and stupid rules make me mad!
I will wait for implementation of new rules, don't want to switch to M2 at the moment...

You're absolutely right... MEPs have nothing else to do. While there are far more important laws to get people to vote. I suspect civil aviation is behind this.
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 11-13 09:41

And this is the EASA - covering the EU - not specific to one nation. Interesting times ahead - think I’ve had my head buried in the sand a little but it’s time to face the reality...
2020-11-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any bets they're looking at tighter regulations already to bring the sub-250gm category under restrictions?
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 11-13 10:56
Any bets they're looking at tighter regulations already to bring the sub-250gm category under restrictions?

I don't think so - the main thing about sub 250g is that the kinetic energy transmitted on impact will not kill a human as deemed to be less than 80 joules. There is no reason to restrict such a drone for the purpose of public safety. The only reason I can think that they may impose further restrictions in the A1 UA class is the possibility of having a camera on it but there again, so does practically every mobile phone. It will be a very long time before we see any major changes after this which in itself has taken years. With Brexit and Covid-19, economies in deep recession and most people working from home many governments have far more things to worry about than someone flying a toy class drone that won't kill anyone.
2020-11-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-13 11:27
I don't think so - the main thing about sub 250g is that the kinetic energy transmitted on impact will not kill a human as deemed to be less than 80 joules. There is no reason to restrict such a drone for the purpose of public safety. The only reason I can think that they may impose further restrictions in the A1 UA class is the possibility of having a camera on it but there again, so does practically every mobile phone. It will be a very long time before we see any major changes after this which in itself has taken years. With Brexit and Covid-19, economies in deep recession and most people working from home many governments have far more things to worry about than someone flying a toy class drone that won't kill anyone.

Some respite then, from ever-more draconian restrictions.
2020-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 11-13 11:59
Some respite then, from ever-more draconian restrictions.

Let's hope so. It is getting ridiculous now!
2020-11-13
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

A J Posted at 11-13 12:45
Let's hope so. It is getting ridiculous now!

Since I'm US, I haven't been aware of the new EASA policy.  As a tourist to Europe, will I be able to fly a Mini 2 without taking a test or getting registered...so long as I'm registered in the US???
2020-11-13
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules