1234Next >
8223 131 2020-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanscc989da6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26260 ft
Germany

So far I have not had to calibrate the compass on my Air 2. This is astonishing because I was asked to calibrate the compass of the Mini before almost every flight. So I would like to ask, how often should a calibration happen usually? I can't remember the longest time between two flights with my Air 2, but I can say with confidence that I was constantly asked to calibrate when using the Mini, even though the last flight was only a few days ago.

Did you guys calibrate your compass for the Air 2 already a few times or at least once?

2020-11-19
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

The is the advise I follow... mostly...  before first flight or when in a "new" geo location.

2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Akirasho Posted at 11-19 05:49
The is the advise I follow... mostly...  before first flight or when in a "new" geo location.

https://youtu.be/CppskNOHWJI

That "advice" is pure bunk.
The tosser that made that video has no idea what he's talking about and should not be relied on for accurate information.
2020-11-19
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

I have never calibrated the compass since i received it at the end of May, neither requested by MA2 nor proactively.
And i was flying in a range between 200km south and 300km north of my home. No issues during this time.

I was also surprised to see in several videos how often it is required to calibrate the compas on the mm and mm2.
2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Did you guys calibrate your compass for the Air 2 already a few times or at least once?

Compass calibration is probably the most misunderstood facet of drone flying.
Unless you modify or rebuild your drone, there is no physical reason to recalibrate the compass.

DJI has confused flyers by printing wrong, confusing and contradictory imformation about it in their manuals.
They have gone further by forcing some recent models to ask for re-calibration after moving 30 miles or not flying for 30 days.
2020-11-19
Use props
Scarves UP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

I only calibrate when it has passed metal- car, in bicycle, ect. And first flight. Long distances as well (200 miles). No need elsewhere.
2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Scarves UP Posted at 11-19 06:05
I only calibrate when it has passed metal- car, in bicycle, ect. And first flight. Long distances as well (200 miles). No need elsewhere.

Also no need for any of those things you mentioned.
I've flown >4000 miles on my current drone, travelled >4000 miles with it, never calibrated anything on it and it runs as well as it did on day 1.

2020-11-19
Use props
Scarves UP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-19 06:11
I've flown >4000 miles on my current drone, travelled >4000 miles with it, never calibrated anything on it and it runs as well as it did on day 1.

Have you ever taken a compass near a car? It messses it up greatly. and plus, its two seconds and its to be on the safe side.
2020-11-19
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 11-19 06:11
I've flown >4000 miles on my current drone, travelled >4000 miles with it, never calibrated anything on it and it runs as well as it did on day 1.

The same here, from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere traveled more than 10,000 km to the south and 4,000 km to the east with the Pro and MM and back - no calibration necessary. Calibration was never necessary even on short trips by car 1,500 - 2,000 km...
By the way, on my desk all of the Mavics show compass errors - there are steel beams underneath. Put the Mavic on the floor and everything will be fine. No need to calibrate. Important is that the direction of flight corresponds to the display.
2020-11-19
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Yes, Mini requests calibration quite often. TBH I'm not sure if I ever had to calibrate MA2 but map indicator is very precise all the time, while Mini inaccurate map indicator prefigures request for calibration...
2020-11-19
Use props
fanscc989da6
lvl.3
Germany

Awesome! Thank you all for the quick replys. Some interesting information here that I didn't expect. As a result I assume, in general modern electronic compasses doesn't require calibration regulary. Maybe the Mini 2 also does not need that much calibration!?
2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I calibrate also for long distance flights because the compass and orientation are great tools for keeping the controller antenna aligned with the drone and it is helpful to keep the flight path of the drone in perspective without having to use the map.
2020-11-19
Use props
itsdavesdrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Same for me also. I have only had my drone a week or so. Never had to calibrate IMU or Compass...
2020-11-19
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Germany

fanscc989da6 Posted at 11-19 12:34
Awesome! Thank you all for the quick replys. Some interesting information here that I didn't expect. As a result I assume, in general modern electronic compasses doesn't require calibration regulary. Maybe the Mini 2 also does not need that much calibration!?

Not at all. It is depending on the electronic circuit, quality of the compass IC, how it has been built into and how it will be moved in different environments.

The compass in my mobil phone has to be calibrated every 2 or 3 weeks.
2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

As a result I assume, in general modern electronic compasses doesn't require calibration regulary.
Compass calibration isn't about adjusting the compass to make it work better.
It's about identifying and measuring the magnetic fields that are part of the drone so they can be subtracted from compass readings to give accurate compass data which isn't affected by extraneous factors.
2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 13:18
I calibrate also for long distance flights because the compass and orientation are great tools for keeping the controller antenna aligned with the drone and it is helpful to keep the flight path of the drone in perspective without having to use the map.

I calibrate also for long distance flights because ...
You recalibrate your compass because it makes you feel better ... but it doesn't do anything to make your flying any safer.
Understanding how your drone and its compass work is a better way to fly safer.
If your compass was fine yesterday for a short flight, it's fine today for a long flight.
Mine has been fine for >4000 miles of flight over 4 years without any need to recalibrate anything.

2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Scarves UP Posted at 11-19 06:55
Have you ever taken a compass near a car? It messses it up greatly. and plus, its two seconds and its to be on the safe side.

Yes I have, but I understand what's happening.
It doesn't mess up the compass, it just deflects the compass while the car is close.
Get a simple hand compass and pass a nail close to it sometime.
You'll see that the magnetic compass needle is attracted to the steel nail.
Move the nail away and the compass needle goes back to pointing toward magnetic north.
That's exactly the same as what happens when you place your drone too close to anything made of steel.

And when you understand what compass calibration actually does, you understand that recalibrating can't fix or improve what you imagine it does.

2020-11-19
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the Mini at least, there are times when you must do the compass calibration. One example is in low light environments. If the compass error message appears in red, like in low light, you can't take off until you calibrate. If it is just orange, with adequate light, you can override the calibration requirement. It is showing red right now at 7pm.

Edit: Now later in the evening at 10pm, I am getting different results, no compass error messages at all in any situation. I wonder how relaible this message is anyhow.

2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-19 15:34
I calibrate also for long distance flights because ...
You recalibrate your compass because it makes you feel better ... but it doesn't do anything to make your flying any safer.
Understanding how your drone and its compass work is a better way to fly safer.

Your response appears to be anecdotal.

The Air 2 seems to be sensitive to environmental changes and even out in an open area without any metal  the compass seems to get misaligned.  It appears you have a fleet of Phantoms which may not have the same issues.

From experience with Air 2, the compass need to be recalibrated for longer flight as it can be off by >15° at 1000ft.  I have found this problematic in dense WiFi areas where that 15° of orientation between the RC and Air 2 have significant impact on signal performance.

It is not about safety per say but signal quality.
2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 16:04
Your response appears to be anecdotal.

The Air 2 seems to be sensitive to environmental changes and even out in an open area without any metal  the compass seems to get misaligned.  It appears you have a fleet of Phantoms which may not have the same issues.

You are really confusing what the compass does and how it works.
2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Here is an article about the compass on drones and what they do.

https://droneproskills.com/drone-calibration-guide-dji-mini-drone-calibration-trimming/
2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 17:52

https://droneproskills.com/drone-calibration-guide-dji-mini-drone-calibration-trimming/

Unfortunately it's just junk.
The writer has no idea at all what compass calibration does and what he says on compass calibration is just further contributing to the misunderstanding that surrounds this topic.
2020-11-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. You need to calibrate the compass of your DJI Mavic Air 2 on the following scenarios. First, when the DJI Fly application prompts that the compass needs to be calibrated, the drone’s compass has suffered from interference as the aircraft was turned on in a place where there is magnetic interference. Make sure to fly the aircraft in an open area free of interference. Second, is when powering on the drone, ensure that the aircraft is at a standstill. If there is interference or the aircraft is powered on during movement, the compass’s orientation may be altered, and then re-calibration is needed. And third ensure the flight stability, the application will prompt you to calibrate the compass when there is a need. Please follow the application and calibrate it. Thank you.
2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-19 18:56
Unfortunately it's just junk.
The writer has no idea at all what compass calibration does and what he says on compass calibration is just further contributing to the misunderstanding that surrounds this topic.

So you are now the self appointed magnetic field expert?  Do you even own an Air 2?
2020-11-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 21:03
So you are now the self appointed magnetic field expert?  Do you even own an Air 2?

There is no need to be rude about it. He does not own an Air 2, but he has owned and operated DJI drones in a professional capacity for several years, and nothing has changed about the principle of operation of the compass system in the DJI drones, or any others for that matter. The information given in the article you linked to is mostly mumbo-jumbo and does not give any useful information about compass or compass calibration. Stop feeling but-hurt because someone called out the item you linked and put on a scientific hat for a moment.

The act of 'calibrating' the compass in a DJI drone has absolutely nothing to do with 'calibrating' the on-board compass - nothing at all, because if it was a true calibration, at some stage in the procedure you would have to point the drone accurately in a northerly direction in order to let the drone know where north actually is. And if you read any description of the calibration process, you would notice at no time does the procedure identify Magnetic North. The procedure they describe actually is helping the aircraft identify what components used in the aircraft's construction have a magnetic influence on the compass bearing, so that the static influence can be subtracted from the overall reading. So, as such, it cannot 'correct' for local magnetic variation, local geographic anomalies or anything else, and there is therefore no point in performing the voodoo dance every time you change position or after any time period has passed.

"From experience with Air 2, the compass need to be recalibrated for longer flight as it can be off by >15° at 1000ft.  I have found this problematic in dense WiFi areas where that 15° of orientation between the RC and Air 2 have significant impact on signal performance."

More mumbo-jumbo. Look, if you are going to put it out there, then at least try to get some factual technical truth in what you say. The compass has no connection, or influence over, the signal strength and WiFi.

2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 21:03

So you are now the self appointed magnetic field expert?
Much more of an expert than whoever wrote that piece.
For a start I understand what compass calibration really does.
2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

wamuBugMe Posted at 11-19 22:07
No, he just has an obsession with compass calibration. Any time those two words show up in a thread, he posts his link and then tells everyone to ignore their owner's manual.

It's hard to dispel the ignorance in here.
Here's someone else that has no insight regarding compass calibration but doesn't let that stop him from spreading myths and misinformation.
As far as I can tell the only "contribution" you've ever made to this forum is repeatedly spamming video conversion software.

Perhaps you should just go back to hiding from those government holograms that are chasing you, or get treatment for your paranoia.
Why are you trolling me?

Anyone wanting a good laugh, just check out this post from him:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=223325

2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

wamuBugMe Posted at 11-19 22:35
Why do you troll every compass calibration thread? Every time someone asks about calibrating their compass as instructed by their owner's manual, you come along with your link and your advice to ignore the manufacture's instructions.

Why do you troll every compass calibration thread?
Every time someone asks about calibrating their compass as instructed by their owner's manual, you come along with your link and your advice to ignore the manufacture's instructions.

Because there's so much misunderstanding about it and DJI just adds to the misinformation.
Don't you have some video software to spam somewhere?
2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

If you read my post it is referring to the orientation arch at the bottom of the DJI Fly app. It frequently is misaligned with the position of the drone in relationship to the RC.  And become more apparent the further away the drone gets from the RC.

A compass calibration resolves this matter.

Since it does not appear to happen in the DJI Go 4, hence the question of whether he owns an Air 2.  It is not a generic issue across the DJI spectrum and may only affect Air 2 or DJI Fly app.

It is an antidotal solution to a know issue.

I am perplexed at how you associated the compass calibration with WiFi in the manner that you did. The orientation of the RC antennas to drone has significant impact on signal range.  And the orientation arch aids in being able to optimize the signal for longer range in dense WiFi by keep RC more precisely pointed at drone.

Pretty straight forward stuff and not a lot of hard science need.
2020-11-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 22:52
If you read my post it is referring to the orientation arch at the bottom of the DJI Fly app. It frequently is misaligned with the position of the drone in relationship to the RC.  And become more apparent the further away the drone gets from the RC.

"If you read my post it is referring to the orientation arch at the bottom of the DJI Fly app. It frequently is misaligned with the position of the drone in relationship to the RC.  And become more apparent the further away the drone gets from the RC.

A compass calibration resolves this matter."

So does turning the phone around though 180 degrees in the holder. Much easier to do, because the aircraft compass is not showing the wrong direction. More than half the phones out there have compasses that point in the wrong direction because they can't get the relationship bween compass direction and display orientation.

And just so we get it right again, THE COMPASS CALIBRATION DOES NOT HELP THE COMPASS POINT IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION AT ALL. Now go away and try and find some pseudo-science to disprove what I said.

2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

What you are talking about is 0% related to the compass of your drone and 100% to do with the compass in your phone.
The orientation display displays wrongly, when the phone compass is deflected by the magnetic fields of the controller

If your drone's compass wasn't properly calibrated, you'd know right away as you couldn't fly straight and you'd have a constant compass error.

The drone's compass isn't your area of expertise.
It might pay to pay attention to someone that actually understands a lot more about it.

2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-19 23:14
"If you read my post it is referring to the orientation arch at the bottom of the DJI Fly app. It frequently is misaligned with the position of the drone in relationship to the RC.  And become more apparent the further away the drone gets from the RC.

A compass calibration resolves this matter."

You desperately need to read before you post.

You do not have the product which the tread pertains to and seem to want to interject yourself in as an expert in a condescending manner.  

Doing a compass calibration for direction has never been in the scope of my comments.  Nor, have I experienced a problem with it on the Mavic Air 2 which I actually own.  The issue pertains to the drones orientation to the RC and how it can be corrected in the representation in the Fly app.  The issues is unrelated to the actual compass!

Again you did not read the post before commenting.
2020-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 23:53

You do not have the product which the tread pertains to and seem to want to interject yourself in as an expert in a condescending manner.  

You desperately need to learn and think before you post disparaging comments about others.

Hey Mr Condescending know-nothing ... the compass works exactly the same in any DJI drone.
GB was trying to help you out of your ignorance but you seem to like it there.

The issue pertains to the drones orientation to the RC and how it can be corrected in the representation in the Fly app.  The issues is unrelated to the actual compass!
Just read my post above and get a little enlightenment.

Again you did not read the post before commenting
Do you the concept of irony?

2020-11-20
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't believe everything you read in these responses here, as it's a religious debate. The reality of compass calibration is relative the the FW capability of the drone and how it calculates magnetic deviation.

The compass is calibrated to Earths magnetic north.

The maps and GPS locations are related to true north. Dependant on how smart the FW is and how it determines the offset is the real question.

At my location I am 17 degrees west of true north.

You can look up magnetic declination here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_declination.

And

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/declination.shtml

Every location on earth has a specific declination to true north.

You can look yours up here.

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/calculators/magcalc.shtml?

So when is this important?

When the drone needs to calculate a heading from one GPS coordinate to another. (these are True North coordinates. so needs to know the correction value to add / subtract as it uses a magnetic compass. (That requires to be calibrated)

So when it is flying to a waypoint or when doing a return to home.

Best practice given that people say I don't do calibration and I have had no problem are lucky and most likely not moving to significantly different declination locations.

The other issue you are likely to face on an older drone is the induced magnetism on any ferrous materials used in construction of the drone. This happens as the Motor control signals are pulses for 0 volts to motor volts. In this particular case the drone will issue a magnetic interference warning and this will be resolved by calibration.

Unfortunately this subject is like liPo batteries some claim to fly their drones down to 5-10% battery level and claim this does not shorter the life of their LiPos.

Best practice as far as I am concerned is to follow the instructions on the DroningON video. I have had many great arguments with him when he issues bad advice. In this case it is good advice and should be followed.

The ultimate arbiter of this discussion should be DJI as they built the drones and wrote the FW code.
All drones are not created equal and don't have a the same FW. Those that quote that DJI manuals are contradictory are correct. They are, but that's because the drone models differ. And cannot be maintained exactly the same way. Its "Horses for Courses". So you should adhere to the specific manual for the product or to be safe. Follow the instructions in the DroningON video.

QED

2020-11-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi John,

It is bit different...

Arrow Aircraft Heading Indicator points to a direction : get its info from drone compass.
Arrow Aircraft Heading Indicator position on the forward 180 scale (FlyApp) : get its info from mobile device compass.
Often mobile device compasses are not wel calibrated or just not that accurate, so position of the AHI is not showing the actual position relative to the RC.

Good news :
If flying and the arrow of the AHI is visible on the fwd scale (craft is somewhere in fornt of you); yaw craft left/right to point arrow to the white dot : craft heading towards home.
Even is the position on the scale is not the actual position of drone relative to your RC.

Better use is the line-to-home in the map view, arrow direction in the map view is info from drone, position on the map is oke as map view is by default N up. No mobile device compass info in the map view.

About the compass ; there is no "compass" , like hand held magn compass or like a mag compass is 'old' aircrafts,  in a drone it is a tiny tiny magnetometer.Measures the eath magn fields through this meter ; see this link >
So indeed compass calibration is nothing else than set this magnetometer to default setting in the case, rule out these influences, where it is in ( thus the drone).

cheers
JJB

2020-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 11-20 00:50
Don't believe everything you read in these responses here, as it's a religious debate. The reality of compass calibration is relative the the FW capability of the drone and how it calculates magnetic deviation.

The compass is calibrated to Earths magnetic north.

Don't believe everything you read in these responses here, as it's a religious debate.
You got that part correct.

The reality of compass calibration is relative the the FW capability of the drone and how it calculates magnetic deviation.
The compass is calibrated to Earths magnetic north
And things went of the rails after that.

Best practice as far as I am concerned is to follow the instructions on the DroningON video. I have had many great arguments with him when he issues bad advice. In this case it is good advice and should be followed.
And even further off the rails there because he doesn't understand what compass calibration does and just perpetuates old myths that were disproved years ago.

The fact is, compass calibration has nothing at all to do with magnetic declination or where you are on the earth's surface.
Nothing at all.

Here's the best written explanation I've found that lays out what compass calibration actually does.
Just read the first post in this thread.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... n-and-errors.90792/
See if it makes sense to you.
2020-11-20
Use props
fanscc989da6
lvl.3
Germany

RE: No compass calibration?

Geebax Posted at 11-19 21:08
...The act of 'calibrating' the compass in a DJI drone has absolutely nothing to do with 'calibrating' the on-board compass - nothing at all, because if it was a true calibration, at some stage in the procedure you would have to point the drone accurately in a northerly direction in order to let the drone know where north actually is. And if you read any description of the calibration process, you would notice at no time does the procedure identify Magnetic North. The procedure they describe actually is helping the aircraft identify what components used in the aircraft's construction have a magnetic influence on the compass bearing, so that the static influence can be subtracted from the overall reading. So, as such, it cannot 'correct' for local magnetic variation, local geographic anomalies or anything else, and there is therefore no point in performing the voodoo dance every time you change position or after any time period has passed.

I see, there's a lot to learn here. Thank you very much, Geebax, for that information. I have to admit that I had no idea what the 'calibration' procedure actually does.

Now I am sorry to have caused such debate about a topic that is much more complex than I could think of. At least, it is made more complex than it is by many assumptions resulting from misunderstood facts.

It goes without saying that the advice given in the operating manual is based on technical facts and should therefore be taken into account. It is also not clear to me how this can be questioned.

In summary, it can be said that the compass of a DJI drone should usually work perfectly over a long period of time, as it does not and cannot be calibrated directly. Instead, the process of 'calibration' is used to eliminate the malfunctions caused by interference. Since I had not consciously used my Mini in any such environment, I consider the constant prompts to calibrate to be a hypersensitivity of the device and its components or did I have a faulty unit. I used my Air 2 in partly the same environments and that didn't matter. On my last flight I took off from a manhole cover, that was no problem either. Doesn't one of those have a big, solid metal ring? Then this material was probably not magnetic.

2020-11-20
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Germany

Over all it is not that complicated, as it was dicussed  above, unless you really want to understand the electronics and software behind, which is calculating the deviation between the real north and the magnetic north ( which is btw. drifting a lot each year to the east) in relation to the current location. Independent from the calibration procedure, even the drift of the magnetic north has to be compensated in the firmware, which could not be done by a simple manual calibration as discribed in each drone manual. This compensation has to be done currently at least every one and a half year due to drift speed of the magnetic north.

Since 2009 i was building and programming multikopter ( quad and hexa ) and we never had such issues as discussed around the DJI drones and it's flyaways in the past. And yes, we were able to do autonomous waypoint flights since 2010, a long time before DJI was able to. The MA2 was the first consumer drone i have bought, but only due to the approaching new EU drone regulations  and if they have finally been put in place, i will not be able to fly my old drones any longer. But after 10 years it is time for somthing new and i was impressed how precise the MA2 is flying and how accurate the sensors are.

To say it simple, the calibration requirement is overrated, especially due to the more precise compass IC's we have today than 10 year ago, as already mention by some other users.
A lot of magnetic and electromagnetic interference  can cause such missbehavior of the  compass, like metall in the ground, powerlines, hf transmission towers like mobile phone towers, crash,  ......
DJI only requires those calibrations to assure the most pleasent and secure flight experience for the users, because, and please be not offended, most drone pilots are not trained to fly a drone without these electronic help like GPS or compass if they failed.
2020-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MySky Posted at 11-20 05:25
Over all it is not that complicated, as it was dicussed  above, unless you really want to understand the electronics and software behind, which is calculating the deviation between the real north and the magnetic north ( which is btw. drifting a lot each year to the east) in relation to the current location. Independent from the calibration procedure, even the drift of the magnetic north has to be compensated in the firmware, which could not be done by a simple manual calibration as discribed in each drone manual. This compensation has to be done currently at least every one and a half year due to drift speed of the magnetic north.

Since 2009 i was building and programming multikopter ( quad and hexa ) and we never had such issues as discussed around the DJI drones and it's flyaways in the past. And yes, we were able to do autonomous waypoint flights since 2010, a long time before DJI was able to. The MA2 was the first consumer drone i have bought, but only due to the approaching new EU drone regulations  and if they have finally been put in place, i will not be able to fly my old drones any longer. But after 10 years it is time for somthing new and i was impressed how precise the MA2 is flying and how accurate the sensors are.

which is calculating the deviation between the real north and the magnetic north
Although lots of people think that, it's just not true.
For a proper explanation of what goes on I'd suggest reading the link I posted at the end of this post:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=229499&pid=2344806
2020-11-20
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Germany

Labroides Posted at 11-20 06:54
Although lots of people think that, it's just not true.
For a proper explanation of what goes on I'd suggest reading the link I posted at the end of this post:

It does not help to post a link leading to huge technical and physical explanation if the adequate background is missing. This is why i tried to simplify it.

You can see it every day if someone is asking for things he / she should know if read and understood completly the manual. But it's the way of today's life. The people just want to have fun out of the box, don't read any manual except how the thing can turned on and how to charge the batteries.

A drone is a complex electronic device, not a toy, even if seen so.
According to this and the peoples ignorant behavior today ( not only with drones ) is the point why the rules and laws for drone flying are tightened more and more around the world.

Sorry for drifting away and if someone feels offended, but it is like it is.
2020-11-20
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules