Mavic Air 2 Waypoints. Anyone else feel cheated?
2325 28 2020-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Crippled MA2
lvl.1

United States

Hello drivers!

I bought the Air 2 for doing farm surveys.  Whoops!  I guess I need to eat the restocking fee.  Please understand my thinking.  I researched this drone and saw many mentions of waypoints in the literature and thought I was buying a drone that had the range and right price point for what I needed to do.  Besides, the first Mavic Air had it.

I brought it home and thought I was going to crack open waypoints and go.  Poked and dug and finally googled the topic.  Much to my suprise this feature is crippled in the software!

I dug into the forums to find out if tpg56/aHlIKr77SRe8C5NCEa+32MjZyzq2/b1egQEAjY8pEcNt8WAbvR8m1pcq07BBwCDgGHgEPAIeAQKCDgjJYCJO4Hh4BDwCHgEHAIOARuIgL/D7SiLGG3g1cyAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC[/img]

There is also mentions in the literature of "hyperlapse waypoints" which are not waypoints at all.  DJI, if you are not going to offer this feature, maybe at least omit waypoints form your literature.

If you want to make it right with me, at least put waypoints in the SDK.  No, virtual sticks are not waypoints.

Imagine how we feel with this scenario.  I feel like I bought the new iPhone and the camera was disabled in the software.  Camera was mentioned in the documentation.  Previous iPhone had a working camera.  Turns out I needed to pay more for the plus for a working camera this time.

Please DJI make it right!

Clip from literature

Clip from literature
2020-11-19
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

You are fully right. The implementation / extension of waypoints for foto modes shouldn't be that big deal, because of it is already in the hyperlapse mode.

It is the same for zoom for foto modes.
2020-11-19
Use props
vg1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1640367 ft
Poland

You're right, but dji pretends he can't do it. There is a whole lot of threads on this topic, but it does not do anything. They cheat, which many programmers on this forum has already proved.
2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Waypoints would be a very nice feature decouple from hyperlapse. I assumed that would be the case on but DJI has limited this ability. I don’t know if I feel cheated but do feel like it something that was inferred and couple easily be implemented.
2020-11-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

So far I thought it was present, thanks for sharing!
Makes the choice a bit more easy!
2020-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When the SDK is released drone deploy and litchi will add that feature.
2020-11-20
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
Malaysia

DAFlys Posted at 11-20 01:37
When the SDK is released drone deploy and litchi will add that feature.

I wouldn’t be that sure, seeing as I’ve never seen an official statement from anyone from DJI confirming this. Boy I hope I’m wrong
2020-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans01d4f09b Posted at 11-20 01:52
I wouldn’t be that sure, seeing as I’ve never seen an official statement from anyone from DJI confirming this. Boy I hope I’m wrong

They added a number of features for the mini that dji dont support so I would bet they do the same.
2020-11-20
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Malaysia

DAFlys Posted at 11-20 02:02
They added a number of features for the mini that dji dont support so I would bet they do the same.

Ah, ok, a betting man, hope you win it, because it would benefit all of us. It just boggles the mind with DJI that they are also betting on us not making a fuss.
2020-11-20
Use props
alex_alb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260735 ft
Portugal

Unfortunately, and more and more will be so. The functionality that the drone has will not be changed. It is easier to expect companies like litchi to do the research work and then sell the app for around € 30, and goodbye to the official DJI guarantee.
And honestly, if it was already a huge mess with the update of the compatibility of the MM2 commands with the MA2, imagine what it would be like to introduce waypoints now ... goodbye drone !!!
2020-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans01d4f09b Posted at 11-20 02:26
Ah, ok, a betting man, hope you win it, because it would benefit all of us. It just boggles the mind with DJI that they are also betting on us not making a fuss.

I think its just a way of DJI separating out the models,  if you want more features you need to get the better drones.
2020-11-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, litchi normally add features like that when they add the drone to the app
2020-11-20
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Malaysia

DAFlys Posted at 11-20 02:31
I think its just a way of DJI separating out the models,  if you want more features you need to get the better drones.

Its hard to swallow if dji says ma2 is not the better drone compared to ma1 in some way.
2020-11-20
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

It would be interesting, which way they go with the app on the mavic 3, Go or Fly app.
If it will be the fly app with the reduced functionallity, it will be a blocker, or they will extend the features which might be also an advantage for the MA2.

My personal feeling is that they currently use the MA2 and MM2 plattforms as a kind of acceptance and proof of concept test for the M3, to see what finally should be implemented there.
2020-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans01d4f09b Posted at 11-20 03:09
Its hard to swallow if dji says ma2 is not the better drone compared to ma1 in some way.

I meant in the range. M2P is probably where you need to be for waypoints.
2020-11-20
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Malaysia

Who knows, m3p could also have waypoints removed to be put into inspire 3. DJI has not been forthcoming with their strategy on this, and the lack of communication makes for maximum speculation. This is what happens when you think you are the only game in town and everyone has to play by your fiddle.

Perhaps whining about this will not help, but at least I hope someone from their decision making roles are reading.
2020-11-20
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

I am quite comfortable with the MA2, except the point that the promotion of waypoints is a little missleading and like many others don't understand why waypoints are only implemented partially like the zoom only for video and not as well for photo modes.
2020-11-20
Use props
Crippled MA2
lvl.1

United States

A J Posted at 11-20 02:50
Yeah, litchi normally add features like that when they add the drone to the app

Not likely.  Other post by DJI says they are not going to include mission functionality in SDK.  I'd have to dig, but one of the litchi devs on the DJI site say that it could be implemented if DJI would open it in the software.  DJI told me maybe I could use Dronedeploy after the SDK is released.  Ugh, expensive.  Cheaper to get another drone for that functionality.
2020-11-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crippled MA2 Posted at 11-20 06:59
Not likely.  Other post by DJI says they are not going to include mission functionality in SDK.  I'd have to dig, but one of the litchi devs on the DJI site say that it could be implemented if DJI would open it in the software.  DJI told me maybe I could use Dronedeploy after the SDK is released.  Ugh, expensive.  Cheaper to get another drone for that functionality.
[view_image]

Thats disappointing
2020-11-20
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Malaysia

Crippled MA2 Posted at 11-20 06:59
Not likely.  Other post by DJI says they are not going to include mission functionality in SDK.  I'd have to dig, but one of the litchi devs on the DJI site say that it could be implemented if DJI would open it in the software.  DJI told me maybe I could use Dronedeploy after the SDK is released.  Ugh, expensive.  Cheaper to get another drone for that functionality.
[view_image]

Drone deploy at least can provide automated flight if somewhat clunkier. Im not sure why you say its cheaper to get another drone....dronedeploy is just an app that costs a few tens of dollars. Another drone costs way more....
2020-11-20
Use props
Crippled MA2
lvl.1

United States

fans01d4f09b Posted at 11-20 16:50
Drone deploy at least can provide automated flight if somewhat clunkier. Im not sure why you say its cheaper to get another drone....dronedeploy is just an app that costs a few tens of dollars. Another drone costs way more....

Thanks for the info on that. I went to their website and saw “subscription $100 per month.”  I guess it is not needed to use the software?  I may be stuck with this drone as I am fighting with the vendor
2020-11-20
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Malaysia

I'm sorry. I've mistaken dronedeploy with drone link.

Drone deploy may or may not work with ma2 for autonomous flight. But it is THE package that will do your mapping and geosurvey needs. Hence it is expensive.

Dronelink on the other hand is a one time app that can automate your flights (it has done so for mavic mini and many here are assuming the same when the sdk is released) by use of virtual stick feature instead of waypoint feature. Essentially it is controlling your drone via live remote control instead of preloaded the waypoints / mission completely into your drone before flight. Hence drone link will stop or revert to RTH if you lose connection, while Litchi / dronedeploy / typical waypoints mission will execute UNTIL battery rth or mission completion regardless of remote control strength.

Dronelink will just automate your flight,  in the end you have a bunch of photos that will still need post processing by dronedeploy or some other tools, which you may need to pay for.
2020-11-20
Use props
FiorinoM240B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18099314 ft
United States

"Memory usage issue"

Okay but what's the issue? Did they not include enough memory? Is it the way the data is handled on the drone? The drone is smart enough to use waypoints and take 750 photos at the same time with the intent to create a video at the end, but it can't fly between two points and record video at the same time? disappointedpakistaniman.jpg
2020-11-21
Use props
vg1
Second Officer
Poland

The only method is to communicate wherever possible how DJI is doing, and that will deter potential buyers. All this will make their income fall and maybe then they will think about what is so wrong with them.
2020-11-21
Use props
Fabriciolvm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21585 ft

Brazil

In addition to being completely disappointed by DJI's decision on waypoints on the Mavic Air 2, I feel cheated too. I will be forced to sell my equipment, as it is useless to me.
2020-11-23
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Fabriciolvm Posted at 11-23 06:27
In addition to being completely disappointed by DJI's decision on waypoints on the Mavic Air 2, I feel cheated too. I will be forced to sell my equipment, as it is useless to me.

Let's keep hope maybe they'll eventually put it in a future update.
2020-11-23
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Now, I do feel cheated.  I finally had a need for the waypoints the other day to plan a mission to be repeated every so often.  Because the only option I have is hyperlapse and the camera angle and drone position are too far apart I can not get the need shots in one flight.
2020-11-24
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Time will tell.  But I am annoyed by all this.  The previous model had it.  I can do it with my Spark and Litchi...  c'mon DJI...
2020-11-24
Use props
vg1
Second Officer
Poland

Maybe when SONY drones come out, there will be strong competition and DJI will change its approach to customers. They are now shirking all requests.
2020-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules