712 21 2020-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Just flew in windforce 4 and noticed when the camera is facing downwards( for example with the fn button) and you want to move the drone forward , there is hardly any movemment forwards  if you move the stick just 1 second or so backwards the drone does a flyer and is not under control.( looks like its going in atti mode)
If you put the camera forwards again , pressing the fn button , than you can control the drone again and fly forward again.
Maybe the surface is bigger for the wind when camera is in downward position.
So be carefull in this case
Just a tip
2020-11-21
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Thank you.
2020-11-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Thanks for sharing
2020-11-21
Use props
djiuser_L0sRXeS301Hw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12885007 ft
United Kingdom

Yes. I experienced it today and I thought it was me going mad. But this makes sense.

When you lift the camera to horizon position it becomes stable.
2020-11-21
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_L0sRXeS301Hw Posted at 11-21 11:01
Yes. I experienced it today and I thought it was me going mad. But this makes sense.

When you lift the camera to horizon position it becomes stable.

Yes it does
2020-11-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the tip - happened to me today so glad to know why it happened
2020-11-21
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I forgot to try turning the drone around , so in stead of front facing the wind, the back facing the wind with the camera down. Maybe then the drone is more stable than other way around . I will try next time
2020-11-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This sounds unlikely and isn't something anyone has reported in the past.
A little more testing and probably looking at flight data would be required to find out what was actually happening.
2020-11-21
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 11-21 14:19
This sounds unlikely and isn't something anyone has reported in the past.
A little more testing and probably looking at flight data would be required to find out what was actually happening.
Well it did indeed happen only when camera is facing down and as you can see some more people encounter this . The mini is only out for 2 weeks and could be that the chance is not so big that many mini droners flying in strong wind with camera facing down.but i tried a few times and i encountered this issue. Let’s see if more people report this or dji reponds. Further more the drone is flying fine.  The issue is definate combination angle camera and wind. Also flew with camera down when there was practical no wind, and i had no problems.
2020-11-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dronie1965 Posted at 11-21 14:27
Well it did indeed happen only when camera is facing down and as you can see some more people encounter this . The mini is only out for 2 weeks and could be that the chance is not so big that many mini droners flying in strong wind with camera facing down.but i tried a few times and i encountered this issue. Let’s see if more people report this or dji reponds. Further more the drone is flying fine.  The issue is definate combination angle camera and wind. Also flew with camera down when there was practical no wind, and i had no problems.

It still sounds extremely unlikely.
Maybe the surface is bigger for the wind when camera is in downward position.
The angle of the camera doesn't make that much difference to wind resistance.
Any difference would be tiny and incremental.
If the wind was the issue you would have had the issue at any camera angle.

I wouldn't get too excited about what you think you observed without examining recorded flight data to find out what actually happened.
2020-11-21
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

I have also seen that, but even when I fly in calm conditions.
The speed decreased to only a few meters/second and fly very slow when the camera facing downwards.

There is some videos out on youtube that also shows that.

Fly safe !
2020-11-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks all. I will pay attention the next time I fly it and confirm or not.
2020-11-21
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

Maybee a bug in the software, or not... I shall try some more flights if or when the weather here in Sweden will be better.
Rain nearly every day... Huuu...
2020-11-21
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Just tried this, it’s not related to strong wind, I was only getting 4m/s in normal mode with the camera pointed down moving forward, it does fly fast in reverse around 8m/s or so (I didn’t pay much attention as this isn’t a big deal for my kind of video shooting).
2020-11-22
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

TDZHDTV Posted at 11-22 00:03
Just tried this, it’s not related to strong wind, I was only getting 4m/s in normal mode with the camera pointed down moving forward, it does fly fast in reverse around 8m/s or so (I didn’t pay much attention as this isn’t a big deal for my kind of video shooting).
Ah ok.  Then it is slower anyway when camera facing down and  if there is a lot of wind it doesnt have power anyway resulting its flying with the wind.
Hmm i am not sure if dji has done this with a purpose or its a bug.
Anyway for the time being when there is a lot of wind and when facing the camera down we all have to be carefull and at least not fly too close to objects
2020-11-22
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

Neither do I... Only wonder why...
2020-11-22
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

dronie1965 Posted at 11-22 00:53
Ah ok.  Then it is slower anyway when camera facing down and  if there is a lot of wind it doesnt have power anyway resulting its flying with the wind.
Hmm i am not sure if dji has done this with a purpose or its a bug.
Anyway for the time being when there is a lot of wind and when facing the camera down we all have to be carefull and at least not fly too close to objects

I don’t know if it by design or a bug, I don’t think my Mavic Mini behaved like this.  May DJI could actually make a constructive comment on this?
2020-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

TDZHDTV Posted at 11-22 01:16
I don’t know if it by design or a bug, I don’t think my Mavic Mini behaved like this.  May DJI could actually make a constructive comment on this?

May DJI could actually make a constructive comment on this?
That won't happen.
2020-11-22
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-22 03:12
May DJI could actually make a constructive comment on this?
That won't happen.

I know
2020-11-22
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have read the manual of the mini 2 once more and i  found this:
EF58AB73-35B5-410E-87E6-B68F20A1D5F7.jpeg
2020-11-22
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

Thank's for the information !
2020-11-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dronie1965. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this interesting information here at DJI Forum. These information will be a very big help to our fellow DJI co pilots. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules