1234Next >
30605 128 2020-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gsxrguy46
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to drones but I have just purchased a Mini 2 last week and seem to be having issues with IMU constantly needing recalibrating. The process of calibrating goes fine and proceeds through all 5 stages. However after only the shortest of flights (2 - 3 minutes) after flying home manually and landing the drone I have to recalibrate IMU before the drone will allow me to fly again. I have been googling as much about IMU calibration nd I understand the principles of what it is doing and why it is needed along with the operating temp parameters that you are advised to use when calibrating and flying the drone so believe I'm doing nothing wrong. Ironically I have only been asked to calibrate the magnetic sensors once, although I have manually performed multiple times just to be sure.

I'm really excited about flying the drone but the tedium of having to calibrate after every flight is taking the shine off it to be honest. I was just wondering has anyone else experienced similiar problems with a Mini or Mini 2 and what the asnwer was, or is this some kind of fault in my Mini 2?

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.
2020-11-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, gsxrguy46. Our sincere apologies for the difficulties you're experiencing. If you can recall, what's the status of the IMU after you calibrated it? The status is displayed also under the Safety tab. Kindly check also whether both the DJI Fly and your DJI Mini 2 is up to date. Please keep us updated.
2020-11-23
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Switzerland

Do you have similar problems when you fly in different places? Try to fly in different places, what will happen.
2020-11-23
Use props
gsxrguy46
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-23 04:09
Hi, gsxrguy46. Our sincere apologies for the difficulties you're experiencing. If you can recall, what's the status of the IMU after you calibrated it? The status is displayed also under the Safety tab. Kindly check also whether both the DJI Fly and your DJI Mini 2 is up to date. Please keep us updated.

I'm at work at the moment so the drone is not in front of me but I know the Firmware is updated to the latest version as the update automatically applied to the drone when I set it up for the first time. Also checked since for any newer versions but the Fly app informs me all firmware is up to date. Again without the drone in front of me I can't tell you the exact error message with IMU but I recall straight after landing I see a warning about IMU Attitude error and have to go through IMU calibration from the beginning again. This happens every time after I fly the drone. You even notice the drone very unstable while hovering after a flight before landing. I did not worry about this at first as my friend has a Mavic Mini and he says his drifts sometimes when hovering just after takeoff but always seem to get steadier when it gains altitude. But with my drone I'm not so sure as it seems to take off and be stable hovering just after takeoff but after a flight very unstable before landing after even only a short flight. I first thought it might be due to strong winds as I had to lower altitude on 2 of the flights as the wind picked up and the fly app warned me. But I have also flown in little to no wind and still after the flight the IMU attitude error appears straight after landing.
2020-11-23
Use props
gsxrguy46
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Alevpi Posted at 11-23 04:26
Do you have similar problems when you fly in different places? Try to fly in different places, what will happen.

I live in a rural area with nothing but fields behind my home so don't think its any way related to my location. If it is the Mini 2 would be pretty much no use to me, as if I can't fly it in my own back yard, what's the point?
2020-11-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

gsxrguy46 Posted at 11-23 04:33
I'm at work at the moment so the drone is not in front of me but I know the Firmware is updated to the latest version as the update automatically applied to the drone when I set it up for the first time. Also checked since for any newer versions but the Fly app informs me all firmware is up to date. Again without the drone in front of me I can't tell you the exact error message with IMU but I recall straight after landing I see a warning about IMU Attitude error and have to go through IMU calibration from the beginning again. This happens every time after I fly the drone. You even notice the drone very unstable while hovering after a flight before landing. I did not worry about this at first as my friend has a Mavic Mini and he says his drifts sometimes when hovering just after takeoff but always seem to get steadier when it gains altitude. But with my drone I'm not so sure as it seems to take off and be stable hovering just after takeoff but after a flight very unstable before landing after even only a short flight. I first thought it might be due to strong winds as I had to lower altitude on 2 of the flights as the wind picked up and the fly app warned me. But I have also flown in little to no wind and still after the flight the IMU attitude error appears straight after landing.

Thanks for the added information. For now, we suggest doing a firmware refresh via the DJI Assistant 2 then perform another compass and IMU calibration before doing another. Please let us know if there are any improvements or if the same problem persists. It would be helpful to add screenshots or videos, if possible, of the main problem to identify it further and offer possible solutions.
2020-11-23
Use props
gsxrguy46
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-23 07:24
Thanks for the added information. For now, we suggest doing a firmware refresh via the DJI Assistant 2 then perform another compass and IMU calibration before doing another. Please let us know if there are any improvements or if the same problem persists. It would be helpful to add screenshots or videos, if possible, of the main problem to identify it further and offer possible solutions.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice but I've just decided to start a return for the Mini 2. It's been exhibiting this issue from the first flight and as a drone marketed for beginners and hobbysists, it should in fairness just work out of the box.  If the drone was a couple of years old with 1000's of flight hours I could see something maybe being this out of whack. But a drone from new that I have only had 6 days, don't see why I should need to jump through so many hoops to get it to simply work.

Thanks again for your advice I appreciate that you took the time out of your day to reply.

Cheers!
2020-11-23
Use props
djiuser_O72kAzzkLgPi
New
Flight distance : 41942 ft
Germany

gsxrguy46 Posted at 11-23 08:42
Hi,

Thanks for the advice but I've just decided to start a return for the Mini 2. It's been exhibiting this issue from the first flight and as a drone marketed for beginners and hobbysists, it should in fairness just work out of the box.  If the drone was a couple of years old with 1000's of flight hours I could see something maybe being this out of whack. But a drone from new that I have only had 6 days, don't see why I should need to jump through so many hoops to get it to simply work.

Hello together,

my  brand new mini 2 has the same problems. I noticed, that the drone does not hold the position after you flew a minute. It starts at hovering to turn slowly in andy driections without touching the controller sticks or the drone driftes slowly away. After every landing the app says, that the imu has to be calibrated. I calibrated everything (imu + compass) several times, but it does not help.

In the DJi Assistant 2 software, you can only download a big log file with size over 470mb. There is nothing with firmware update or calibrating available.

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Torsten
2020-11-23
Use props
gsxrguy46
lvl.1
United Kingdom

djiuser_O72kAzzkLgPi Posted at 11-23 11:38
Hello together,

my  brand new mini 2 has the same problems. I noticed, that the drone does not hold the position after you flew a minute. It starts at hovering to turn slowly in andy driections without touching the controller sticks or the drone driftes slowly away. After every landing the app says, that the imu has to be calibrated. I calibrated everything (imu + compass) several times, but it does not help.

Hi,

Sorry to hear that, but at the same time glad to hear I'm not the only one with IMU problems.  It's a shame, as I decided to go for a Mini 2 on the back of how much my friend rated his Mini 1. I mean I know it's cheaper than some of DJI's bigger drones. But I paid £549 for the Fly more bundle and that's still a significant amount of money. The reason I was willing to pay it was because I trusted all the reviews I had read and watched and when your looking at drones DJI is a name everyone knows. I wanted something reliable, easy to fly and user friendly and unfortunately it's not worked out that way at all for me.

Anyway I hope someone can help you, I'm just returning mine for a refund and not rushing in to buying another drone for a while.

Best of luck!
2020-11-23
Use props
slipushenkogmail.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7795459 ft
Ukraine

I have the same issue on Mini2 . Seems like there is nothing that can be done but sending it to the DJI service.
2020-11-24
Use props
djiuser_xczeBdQ2pySH
lvl.1

Canada

I’m having the same issue as well. On my very first flight it was asking for Imu calibration, and has kept asking after every flight. DJI told me to refresh the firmware, which isn’t even possible with their software. The only option in assistant 2 is to download flight logs. Feels like an unfinished product that they rushed for Christmas
2020-11-28
Use props
djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

djiuser_xczeBdQ2pySH Posted at 11-28 09:24
I’m having the same issue as well. On my very first flight it was asking for Imu calibration, and has kept asking after every flight. DJI told me to refresh the firmware, which isn’t even possible with their software. The only option in assistant 2 is to download flight logs. Feels like an unfinished product that they rushed for Christmas

No it is not an "unfinished product that they rushed for Christmas". Yes maybe YOU, and a couple of others here are having issues, but there are many thousands of us who are having no problem at all with our Mini 2 and are absolutely loving every minute we have it in the air. Perhaps you just got unlucky, or it is some 'user error' contributing to what you are experiencing. Just sayin'.
2020-11-28
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Flight distance : 976798 ft
Netherlands

I join this group. On every flight I have to calibrate the IMU and right after landing it gives the alert again. Firmware is up-to date. Occassionaly I had this with my MM1, but not so frequent as now with the MM2. Very annoying. What's going on?
2020-11-29
Use props
djiuser_L0sRXeS301Hw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12885007 ft
United Kingdom

Mine was working perfect but today is first time I had to do IMU calibration on every flight.

There must be some reason for this?

What can interfere with it?

Ideas?
2020-11-29
Use props
FrankFusse
lvl.2

United States

Same issue here.  I was getting an IMU calibration required error on every landing.  The error would go away when I restarted the aircraft, but I would get it again on the next landing.  I sent the Mini 2 back to DJI for replacement.  BTW, when doing the IMU Calibration, I found that the drone would not sit on its side like pictured in the IMU Calibration Instructions, probably because the Mini 2 battery is lighter than it was in the Mavic Mini.  I tried different ways to get it to sit as pictured, but eventually I just used a heavier Mavic Mini battery, and it sit on its side just fine.
2020-11-29
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

This is the reply from DJI after I expressed my concerns:

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.
Appreciate the feedback you have provided regards to your concern. We have this already relayed to our developers so they can check if it is software related.
For the moment, if you could help us confirm if you are getting any error codes when receiving these notifications? If you could share us any further information about this concern we have.
Also, if you have tested the unit in different location just for us to isolate the concern.
We await your response.

So now is the best to test in various environments and, above all, to provide DJI with error codes to help them solve this problem.

Happy flight to you all, because it remains a miracle this MM2
2020-11-29
Use props
gsxrguy46
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Robert20 Posted at 11-29 23:46
This is the reply from DJI after I expressed my concerns:

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

A Miracle indeed, if you can get it to fly without IMU errors.
2020-11-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Monday morning batch ??

2020-11-30
Use props
Dryvise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10869498 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Hello!
I have a same error every fly.
2020-11-30
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 11-30 01:19
Monday morning batch ??

No, testpilots!
2020-11-30
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

Dryvise Posted at 11-30 01:40
Hello!
I have a same error every fly.

Error codes?
2020-11-30
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51093 ft
Italy

Same problem here. Always IMU error after landing... Always error 30055 and 30105. It does it after landing.

In another case it showed the error after I have reached the place to fly. Very annoying.

2020-11-30
Use props
nitrone
lvl.1
Poland

I had no errors first day but maybe that is beacause I was flying in garage without GPS and very steady - little left, little right, no quick moves. When I went out next day, three things changed: GPS got signal, an update came, I had more space so I was flying faster. Seems like IMU errors showed up immediately after that.

Errors I get are IMU not calibrated. Calibrate IMU (Code 30055). It is often, like 9/10 flights. Error sometimes dissapears after I turn drone off, and turn it on next time. I don't mean just restart at the field, more change of location or going back home. But it always comes back after landing.

I still can not get this error inside - if I just put drone on table, start and land. But if I get outside, start and do quick sequence of "jumps": up, left, left, rigth, right, front fron, back, back, turn around, up and down till it lands - I'm pretty sure I will cause this error and after landing I will have to recalibrate IMU.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=229748
2020-11-30
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

CC8877 and nitrone, this is important info for DJI. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully DJI are looking on this forum. Today I had 2 flights in open field and no IMU alerts. I keep testing under all circumstances.
2020-11-30
Use props
nitrone
lvl.1
Poland

I really hope they manage to solve this problem without me having to send the drone to support.
2020-11-30
Use props
djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

gsxrguy46 Posted at 11-30 00:30
A Miracle indeed, if you can get it to fly without IMU errors.

Well thousands of us are happily flying our Mini 2  and have not experienced 1 IMU, or any other error. Funny that. Perhaps it is some user error on your behalf, no?
2020-11-30
Use props
gsxrguy46
lvl.1
United Kingdom

djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ Posted at 11-30 13:14
Well thousands of us are happily flying our Mini 2  and have not experienced 1 IMU, or any other error. Funny that. Perhaps it is some user error on your behalf, no?

There's a problem with some drones obviously, not every drone sold as I am not the only person who has similar issues. Wish I had been one of the thousands who got a working drone but I was not.
2020-11-30
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Italy

djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ Posted at 11-30 13:14
Well thousands of us are happily flying our Mini 2  and have not experienced 1 IMU, or any other error. Funny that. Perhaps it is some user error on your behalf, no?

I'm sorry for you but NO.

It's not an user problem. I'm flying DJI drones from phantom2. And no, I never had an IMU errors like these before. And I never calibrated an IMU in a drone.

This is a drone problem for sure.
2020-12-1
Use props
fans922463ce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 665860 ft
Slovakia

I started to have the same problems with imu calibration. First flights were ok, no problem. After let's say 5 battery cycles I started mini 2 in different location 30 minutes drive from my home and after battery change have got imu calibration request. I made calibration on site and I flew second battery without problem during all flight. When landed have got same message with imu calibaration request. Made sucessfull calibration at home and next day in the mountains before 1st flight, I have got imu calibration request again. Made calibration , flew, landed and after battery change have got imu calibration request again.
Mointains are mainly andesit base of antient volcanic origin (old mining area for gold) . I do not know if it can cause problem, but with my previous drones Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic pro, Mavic 2 zoom and Mavic 2 Air I had never such problems and never made imu calibration. i think it is software problem.
2020-12-1
Use props
fans922463ce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 665860 ft
Slovakia

And also when I push joystick for forward direction, drone is not flying straight , is slightly turning to the right (just very little) but turning.
RC, Imu, and compass are calibrated of course.
2020-12-1
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Italy

fans922463ce Posted at 12-1 04:19
And also when I push joystick for forward direction, drone is not flying straight , is slightly turning to the right (just very little) but turning.
RC, Imu, and compass are calibrated of course.

Mine too don't go perfectly straight. Thanks a lot to remind me that. Mine seem to go left side.
2020-12-1
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

nitrone Posted at 11-30 11:05
I really hope they manage to solve this problem without me having to send the drone to support.

I'm not happy too to return it to DJI en hope a firmware update would solve this. Supply DJI all kind of error codes and other relevant data. That's usefull info for them.
2020-12-1
Use props
nitrone
lvl.1
Poland

Robert20 Posted at 12-1 08:21
I'm not happy too to return it to DJI en hope a firmware update would solve this. Supply DJI all kind of error codes and other relevant data. That's usefull info for them.

I got a response from DJI to my support ticket - I will have to send a drone so that they can check what is wrong. So I guess software update won't help or they need more data form drone to diagnose.
2020-12-1
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

nitrone Posted at 12-1 22:36
I got a response from DJI to my support ticket - I will have to send a drone so that they can check what is wrong. So I guess software update won't help or they need more data form drone to diagnose.

Thanks for sharing and keep us informed. Today I did 3 flights. On 1 the IMU alert after landing, but disappeared straight away after a restart. I still keep testing.
2020-12-2
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

I had the exact same problem and opted to get a replacement - I'm still waiting for  it....
2020-12-2
Use props
gsxrguy46
lvl.1
United Kingdom

davidms Posted at 12-2 17:13
I had the exact same problem and opted to get a replacement - I'm still waiting for  it....

I'm sorry you all have the problems I experienced and at the same time vindicated, as I knew something was wrong with my drone from the first flight.

I'm sure you will all get sorted and hope you have your drones replaced for new as it's only fair.

My drone is on it's way back for a refund as I waited sometime for delivery to start with and the thoughts of the wait for the drone to be returned and then wait for a replacement to be sent out was just too much.
2020-12-3
Use props
Dryvise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Russia

Every 7-8 flights out of 10, it gives an error ...
DJI, are you planning to do anything about this at all?
2020-12-4
Use props
Dryvise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Russia

The DJI mini 2 is definitely having some serious IMU issues. The quadcopter constantly turns in different directions during straight flight in sport mode. And this is not visible in the flight logs. The copter thinks it is flying in a straight line. I used to think it was the wind, but no. The Mini 1 didn't have such problems.
This entry is after the "standard" requested IMU and manual compass calibration.
https://youtu.be/7meT9l5AvIg
2020-12-5
Use props
Robert20
lvl.4
Netherlands

Result after 5 flights: only an alert of "IMU attitude error". This only appear when the Mini is picked up by hand after landing and disappear immediately. Maybe this is the result of a calibration of the IMU in a totally non interference environment I've done before these flights. Keep fingers crossed.
2020-12-5
Use props
djiuser_0lEa2BIT6nQ9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 378510 ft
Canada

Having the same issue. Brand new just arrived Tuesday direct from DJI.

Send in the email to request replacement.

I have the mini 1 and i can trust it 100% to do it's job. Mini 2 that I have it's like flying my RC helicopters and it's a good thing I can do that cause otherwise likely already crashed it from the IMU sending it drifting and turning on it's own.

Bad batch of sensor is my guess.
2020-12-5
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules