gimble motors handle nd filters
1191 11 2020-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dcap
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Im currently looking at nd filters for my mini2 and was wondering if the additional weight of the filter will be a strain over time on the gimbal motors?
2020-11-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good question - I was thinking the same. I've seen some YT vids showing ND filters affecting the gimbal performance on the original Mini 1 so I've held back buying ND's for the Mini 2 as the gimbals look identical.
2020-11-25
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

A J Posted at 11-25 07:28
Good question - I was thinking the same. I've seen some YT vids showing ND filters affecting the gimbal performance on the original Mini 1 so I've held back buying ND's for the Mini 2 as the gimbals look identical.

I haven't gotten any for myself to test this theory but performing a gimbal calibration with the nd attached should resolve any shake/issues people were experiencing.

I got the idea from DJI's own support from a different thread, someone changed the gimbal pitch and smoothness settings and did a quick shot and the gimbal freaked out, it needs to be re-calibrated with the new settings to work properly. In theory wouldn't doing the same with the nd filter attached "correct" it's balancing and adjust for the difference?

It's worth a shot if nothing else, maybe someone who has a set can chime in here.
2020-11-25
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

no issues with nd filters. I have used them a lot on the mini with 0 problems. never even had to re-calibrate nor changing the gimbal speed caused any issues. can't see how this will be different on the mini 2, as it is the same setup. I will test when conditions are favourable.
2020-11-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ABeardedItalian Posted at 11-25 09:27
I haven't gotten any for myself to test this theory but performing a gimbal calibration with the nd attached should resolve any shake/issues people were experiencing.

I got the idea from DJI's own support from a different thread, someone changed the gimbal pitch and smoothness settings and did a quick shot and the gimbal freaked out, it needs to be re-calibrated with the new settings to work properly. In theory wouldn't doing the same with the nd filter attached "correct" it's balancing and adjust for the difference?

Good advice mate - thanks for sharing. I may buy one filter (ND8) and give it a test. Do you know any brands worth looking at - polar pro and DJI don't seem to make them for the Mini's
2020-11-25
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

I’m using Sunnylife, there cheap and cheerful, never had an issue with my Mini 1 or 2.
2020-11-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dcap. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( nd filters ) for the DJI Mini 2. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilot on there experiences in using a 3rd party nd filter on there DJI Mini 2. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-11-25
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Switzerland

A J Posted at 11-25 07:28
Good question - I was thinking the same. I've seen some YT vids showing ND filters affecting the gimbal performance on the original Mini 1 so I've held back buying ND's for the Mini 2 as the gimbals look identical.

There are ND filters that are glass that is glued to the camera around the perimeter, I don't think they will affect the suspension in any way.
2020-11-25
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Switzerland

I still have a filter from the Mavic Mini produced by Pgytech, there were no problems with it, as soon as they send MM2, I will try with it.
2020-11-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alevpi Posted at 11-25 22:12
There are ND filters that are glass that is glued to the camera around the perimeter, I don't think they will affect the suspension in any way.

So that would mean the same level of density as unable to change the filter. Kind of pointless.
2020-11-25
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
France

A J Posted at 11-25 23:42
So that would mean the same level of density as unable to change the filter. Kind of pointless.

Most likely, you can peel off the filter, and the second time will not stick.
2020-11-26
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alevpi Posted at 11-26 00:46
Most likely, you can peel off the filter, and the second time will not stick.

I'd rather pass
2020-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules