Carbon propeller on MA2 ?
797 12 2020-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

On my older quad and hexa copter i used carbon or mixed chopped fiberglas nylon props especially during winter time if the temperatur droped below 5 degrees Celsius.
But this was also related to the high take off weight and payload. ( 1.5 - 2.5kg incl. camera) The issue with these props was, that i needed to adjust the IMU settings according to the more sturdy and stiff props.

I recently saw some carbon props offered at amazon for the MA2.
But my fear is, due to the IMU settings cannot be adjusted on the MA2,  the carbon props will affect the accurate flight behavior of the MA2.

As winter is already approaching i have two questions:
1. Does anyone know of what material the DJI props are made of and how they behave at low temperatures ?
2. Does anyone already have some expierence with carbon props mounted on the MA2 ?
2020-11-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there MySky. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. Since this is a 3rd party accessory for the DJI Mavic Air 2. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who have used / purchased a carbon fiber propellers for the said DJI Drone. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Mavic 2 Series drones specially propellers. Propellers are one of the main components of the drone that should not be taken for granted when flying your DJI drone in terms of compatibility and reliability purposes. In addition using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI drones and can void the warranty as well. Thank you for your understanding and fly safe always.
2020-11-26
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-26 19:40
Hello there MySky. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. Since this is a 3rd party accessory for the DJI Mavic Air 2. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who have used / purchased a carbon fiber propellers for the said DJI Drone. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Mavic 2 Series drones specially propellers. Propellers are one of the main components of the drone that should not be taken for granted when flying your DJI drone in terms of compatibility and reliability purposes. In addition using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI drones and can void the warranty as well. Thank you for your understanding and fly safe always.

Thanks Stephen,  this is why i opened this thread.
Maybe you can answer of what material the DJI props are made of, because then it is easier to decide, how reliable they are at low temperatues ?
2020-11-26
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

The material looks good IMPOV, it is softer than Mavic Mini props (I was flying Mini successfully in sub 0 temperatures), it doesn't look brittle at all. Manual sais the temperature range is -10° to 40°C (0 to 40°C for Mini BTW).
TBH I don't trust to "noname" propellers as it is very essential part and it needs to be balanced precisely.
2020-11-27
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

virtual Posted at 11-27 01:25
The material looks good IMPOV, it is softer than Mavic Mini props (I was flying Mini successfully in sub 0 temperatures), it doesn't look brittle at all. Manual sais the temperature range is -10° to 40°C (0 to 40°C for Mini BTW).
TBH I don't trust to "noname" propellers as it is very essential part and it needs to be balanced precisely.

Thanks. About a brittle fracture i was a little affraid of, because i had that issue some years ago at -3 °.
2020-11-27
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

MySky Posted at 11-27 02:08
Thanks. About a brittle fracture i was a little affraid of, because i had that issue some years ago at -3 °.

To make this clear I mean stock propeller material of MA2 (not the carbon), I bought carbon props for Mini but never installed them.
I believe that stock props will be working fine in winter.
2020-11-27
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

virtual Posted at 11-27 04:50
To make this clear I mean stock propeller material of MA2 (not the carbon), I bought carbon props for Mini but never installed them.
I believe that stock props will be working fine in winter.

I got it right before, so everything is fine for me with the stock props.
2020-11-27
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

I hope it will be fine for us in winter time!
I always take it easy (or I'm not pushing the limits) in challenging conditions. I was flying with MA2 last weekend at +2° or +3°C and haven't noticed any difference...
2020-11-27
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Props aren’t that expensive, put a couple in the freezer.
Test how you prefer and see it they meet your requirements.

Best
2020-11-27
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

virtual Posted at 11-27 08:43
I hope it will be fine for us in winter time!
I always take it easy (or I'm not pushing the limits) in challenging conditions. I was flying with MA2 last weekend at +2° or +3°C and haven't noticed any difference...

I hope as well but on the other hand i have Care Refresh.
2020-11-27
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

Lisa3 Posted at 11-27 09:15
Props aren’t that expensive, put a couple in the freezer.
Test how you prefer and see it they meet your requirements.

Good idea, i still have one with a crack laying  around which i can use for such a test.
2020-11-27
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

MySky Posted at 11-27 09:56
I hope as well but on the other hand i have Care Refresh.

DJI Refresh probably runs a deep diagnostic on the data relating to a crash or problem.  They may be able to determine that non DJI propellors were used based on the motor speed to downforce ratio.  Or some other metric like motor resistance.  

Many of the things that have posted about DJI Refresh across different forums are less than flattering when it comes to warrantee denial.
2020-11-28
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

If using DJI stock props and flying in the range of advised temperature, it should be no issue with the Care Refresh.
2020-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules