Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stuttering/lagging video on Android Devices
10493 32 2015-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheCutter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94688 ft
Germany

Does anyone else have problems with the live video feed on Android Devices with the latest firmware / App?
For me the video laggs some seconds behind while the aircraft is in the air.
Same Aircraft, same Remote Controller with an iPad Mini works perfectly. Event the HDMI Output is ok.
Even tried older Pilot App versions, but the problem still exists.
2015-6-29
Use props
detlef.meyer.gm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1775436 ft
Germany

I have the problem too on any of my ANDROID Devices
- Medion Lifetab
- Samsung A5
- Samsung Tab Pro 8.1
Its all the same.

With IPAD MINI2 the video is fine like before on the Android too
Some test with Samsung Tab Pro and IPAD MINI 2

Slagging video Samsung Tab Pro2
IPAD Mini2  - allright

Regards
Wolke

2015-6-29
Use props
Grimtheviking
First Officer
Flight distance : 11473780 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same problem here too, 2 x Samsung TabS, and also frequent loss of signal message, even when within 30/40 meters of remote....
All since last app update...

Regards
Mike.
2015-6-29
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.4

Canada

I use Nvidia Shild 64 Gig works fine with no problems. I can even record the screen...Its an awesome Android product...Only criticism is its a power hog which is expected because of the processing muscle...
2015-6-29
Use props
JerryMutter
lvl.3

United States

update seemed  a good idea at the time  the ipk. install file was over written so I can't go back if someone could post a link to android install files from the earlier release it would be greatly appreciated. I cannot at this time buy a I pad to fix this. My inspire flies fine but the android app becomes unresponsive and I have tried many things to fix it to no avail.    Ideas anyone
2015-6-29
Use props
Grimtheviking
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have tried everything Dji tec support suggested, still the same problem
As far as I see, they have changed the down link channels.
I reinstalled the new app twice, still the same.
I have now reinstalled the old app 060615 and all is good again, but no voice on this version,
but I have all channels back again with minimum lag and no "signal loss" message showing as with the new app.
Here is a link to it for those having the same problem and want to revert back 1 app.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... -Pilot%20060615.apk

Regards
Mike.
2015-6-29
Use props
Grimtheviking
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JerryMutter Posted at 2015-6-30 00:13
update seemed  a good idea at the time  the ipk. install file was over written so I can't go back if ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... -Pilot%20060615.apk
2015-6-29
Use props
TheCutter
lvl.4
Germany

So you mean with last Pilot App Version DJI-Pilot-1.1.0.apk everything is working again?
2015-6-30
Use props
JerryMutter
lvl.3

United States

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-6-30 04:55
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34760485/DJI-Pilot%20060615.apk

thank you I will try soon half to wait tell Friday when I get home but thanks
2015-6-30
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I'm using a galaxy note 3 and I have the same problem, combined with the app crashing at least once every 2 batteries.  It is very annoying and can look a bit unprofessional with clients.

I was hoping to wait for the new ipad this year but it looks like I'll have to pick one up soon.
2015-6-30
Use props
Mcoda92
lvl.1
United States

Has there been any word from DJI about solving this issue?  I'm experiencing it, as well on my Samsung Galaxy S5.
2015-7-5
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

Mcoda92 Posted at 2015-7-6 03:08
Has there been any word from DJI about solving this issue?  I'm experiencing it, as well on my Samsu ...

on yout android devices go in to the apps and roll back your google play to the previous version go to developer tools and set allowed background processes to none, turn off wifi and turn on airplane mode.
2015-7-6
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

JerryMutter Posted at 2015-6-30 00:13
update seemed  a good idea at the time  the ipk. install file was over written so I can't go back if ...

Here is some more detailed info on how to possibly cure your problem

This worked for me on my Samsung Tab S 8 Android 5.02 to fix the lag making FPV unusable

temporarily "Disabled' the app in the application manager:

Settings > Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version.

Once complete choose to 'Enable' the app again but don't install any updates when requested to.

Prior to that you should probably Turn off "Automatic App updating":

"Play Store > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." - then ignore any apps that want to update play services as part of their own update (maps etc), until DJI come up with a fix or workaround.

My downgraded version of Google Play Services is now v 6.7.77.

So perhaps it wasn't a DJI firmware update, rather a coincidental Google Play Services update that caused this particular issue?

In any case perhaps an option can be added to the DJI pilot app to bypass Google Play Services for GPS functionality, for those users that are experiencing this issue:

"The reason for this is that for the last year or so, Google has been recommending developers use Google Play Services for Android Device location GPS functionality which allows for Google Play Services to batch GPS requests, hopefully preserving battery life. However, developers still have access to the native Android location APIs which they could leverage to request device location."

I have found something that might possibly help those using the samsung tab s,  In addition to rolling back google play of course,  download the advanced task manager by infolife llc, and install of course.

Before you start the pilot app.  and after you have the tab lit up, go to your developer options And scroll to the bottom and check the limit background apps allowed to run to "0"  ,   You may run the task kill from the task manager you just downloaded, before or after you set the apps run to 0, There will only be a few things left running,  (including google play services of course) .

I experience practically no lag, what so ever,  I believe I can tell a physical heat difference just feeling my tab, the tab feels normal.  It does maybe slow  a bit, late in the flight , but I am also mirroring video to my glasses also,  But here is the good thing after 10 min. or so into the flight use your pull down menu.  The task manager may have placed a message there stating that the processor is lagging and do you wish to fix.

Tap fix, and it will tell you that the dji pilot app is lagging the processor ,  tap the repair. and the pilot app., I think speeds back up, if it is lagging at all,  I am still testing and observing, you may want to look at this, and experiment yourself if you have a tab s.  This may apply to other Samsung devices I don't know.  there is also one other thing you may want to look at.

In your developer tools there is another option,  "force 2d  gpu video rendering"  I believe this speeds thing s up further, for a bit, but may heat and lag processor quicker.  Still observing and testing.
Note that you have to set the background app limit to 0 and run kill each time you start.

Flew a full 20 min flight last night , no problems, except that my motors were hotter than ever I could not really touch them,  It was 100 degrees out , and a very long flight, considering that the esc.s  are an integral part of the main board on the P3,  I am not going to do that again.  The tablet felt normal and no lag.  I  hope this helps and you get the  same results.  This may be repeat info. As I have not read this whole thread.

This seemingly works best on lollipop, I have two tabs one kit kat one lollipop,  before last updates the kit kat seemed to work better, opposite now, I got the lollipop tab to clock up to over 40,000 on an tu tu.  right up there with the note 5, the best I can get out of the kit kat now is about 36,000 below nexus and g3.     
2015-7-6
Use props
vipeness
New

United States

Mcoda92 Posted at 2015-7-6 03:08
Has there been any word from DJI about solving this issue?  I'm experiencing it, as well on my Samsu ...

Also have the same issue!
2015-7-6
Use props
vipeness
New

United States

detlef.meyer.gm Posted at 2015-6-29 22:27
I have the problem too on any of my ANDROID Devices
- Medion Lifetab
- Samsung A5

I am also having this issue on my Nexus 9 32GB LTE/WIFI version.
2015-7-6
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

vipeness Posted at 2015-7-7 12:11
I am also having this issue on my Nexus 9 32GB LTE/WIFI version.

Did you try what I posted, It will help, and in some instances will cure the lag problem completely.
2015-7-7
Use props
Mcoda92
lvl.1
United States

I followed mtnmaddman's instructions (Thanks btw), and immediately saw improvement, from the lag I was getting on previous flights.  Took my Inspire out this morning, and flew one battery perfectly, then second battery the google play services actually crashed during flight forcing me to restart the dji pilot app.  Then, things were smooth again.  Also forgot to turn on airplane mode for this mornings flights, so that could be part of the issue today....
2015-7-10
Use props
TheCutter
lvl.4
Germany

The problem has nothing to do with Google Apps. It is the rendering of the video feed that causes the lag.
Try to use a custom image transmission channel in the Pilot App and set the bandwith to 4mbps and you should have a much smoother video.
2015-7-10
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

TheCutter Posted at 2015-7-10 20:39
The problem has nothing to do with Google Apps. It is the rendering of the video feed that causes th ...

TheCutter
The lag in android is most certainly affected by the Google play app. It has to do with the processor overloading, caused by Google app and the gps accessing.  If you follow my directions above you most certainly will see an improvement.   
2015-7-12
Use props
PureSQNut
Second Officer

United States

This was the response I got from dji about this-

to puresqnut

This is DJI response:

If you have experienced any issues with your Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 3 Professional or Inspire 1 please see below. If your issue is not below please let us know and we will work to resolve it as soon as we can.

1.  Non-visual live feed image, i.e. a blank screen that appears instead of a camera feed.

Reason: Certain chip pins on the SD card are not connecting properly tothe circuit causing the camera to start up abnormally, making the screen turn black.
Solution: Remove the SD card and re-install it tightly.
Further solution: The camera startup process is being refined to take into account possible connectivity issues with the SD card. If necessary, DJI will repair affected units as quickly as possible.

2.  Increased lag and screen flicker.

Reason: The DJI Pilot app is extremely complex, causing it to place highdemands on your mobile device’s processor and power consumption. This is especially true of three functions.
a)        Live feed, location map and Flight Route Recording all draw on processing power.
b)        When activated, the Video Editor automatically transcodes your live feed and creates your video in real time using your phone’s processor
c)        When the remote controller is connected to an iOS device, your iOS device will specifically use a Central Processing Unit (CPU) core to deal with data authentication computation.
All of these functions increase the power consumption of your mobile device, in turn causing its temperature to increase. Most devices will lower processing speed when a temperature threshold is reached, slowing down the app causing lag and flicker.

Suggested solution:
a)        Activate hardware decoding on your mobile device in the DJI Pilot app to reduce demands on your mobile device’s CPU.
b)        Choose a lower code rate under Image Transmission Quality assmaller files decode more efficiently.
c)        Shut down any unused application programs, or activate “Flight Mode”
d)        Keep your mobile device in a cool place whenever possible and keep out of direct sunlight when flying outdoors.

Further solution:
We will continue to optimize the DJI Pilot app, increasing computation efficiency and lowering power consumption to ensure that it always runs smoothly

3.  Flickering screen and/or a blank screen during flying.

Reason: When the Phantom is flying at an extended distance, the angle of the antennas is essential to maintain a strong signal.
Solution: Refer to the user manual and adjust the antenna angle.
2015-7-12
Use props
TheCutter
lvl.4
Germany

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-13 11:02
TheCutter
The lag in android is most certainly affected by the Google play app. It has to do with ...

The main problem is that on android the video stream is decoded by the CPU and not by the GPU.
And 10mbps of video stream is too much for some cpus.
2015-7-13
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

TheCutter Posted at 2015-7-13 18:54
The main problem is that on android the video stream is decoded by the CPU and not by the GPU.
And ...

None the less, If you follow my instructions, you take enough load off of the processor,  that it will almost function,  DJI still needs to tweak. what else can you do at this point, you can lower the bit rate, when that is done, it to lowers the the strain on the processor a bit more, I have done that in addition to, halting the number of processes running, none of any of this works well, unless you roll back Google play services, guaranteed.  Also I mentioned that you may try to force gpu rendering of 2d video, I can not see a lot of difference and I just do the other things that I suggested, I have no lag.  I use my wireless connect video glasses, also at the same time, this really works the processor, I have slight skypeeness  toward the end of the flight when using my glasses, wirelessly. With hdmi out on the I1 remote I can actually run 2 sets of my fpv glasses at the same time, with very little problem.
2015-7-13
Use props
capbat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

@mtnmaddman
Thanks for your post #13 above. I had lagging problem on my Samsung G5 and my P3P yesterday when I was at about 30-40 meters and 10 meters high. It not only lagged the phone crashed also.
I did not do all of what you suggested but I returned to the same location, followed the same route with no problem.
On Phone with Lollipop.
- Went back to original Google Play Service.
- Enabled Fligh Mode
- No Wifi
- GPS On (Location)
- In setting System, Developer Options, Apps, Limit background process, set to No background process.

I went to greater distances and greater heights than yesterday without any problem. Futur will tell.

BAT
2015-8-22
Use props
capbat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

TheCutter Posted at 2015-7-13 18:54
And ...

Hi Cutter.
How do you reduce the mbps on the Pilot App?

Thanks.
Bat
2015-8-22
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

capbat Posted at 2015-8-23 03:49
Hi Cutter.
How do you reduce the mbps on the Pilot App?

go to the hd section on the app with everything running  and select manual channel selection you will have to select a channel manually and then you can reduce the bit rate I highly recommend that you do this
also this helps tremendously  http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 5&fromuid=17178
2015-8-25
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Hello folks, i do not owe Inspire 1, but a Phantom 3, however it seems you all have the same problem as P3 users.

Please take a look:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-16777-1-1.html

The workaround for stuttering and video lag is downgrade of Google Play Services as you wrote above. The prolem is known since three months and DJI still not fixed that.
2015-9-10
Use props
Friendlyfred

United States

Ok on my Nexus 9, but unit gets very warm...
2015-9-21
Use props
pi-inthesky
First Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-7 05:06

This worked for me on my Sam ...

Of all the advice I have read on this lagging problem this has to be the most in depth informative advice to date seems to cover every aspect instead of coming in drips and drabs excellent will implement your instructions on my tab s first thing thanks mtnmaddman been going round in circles for the last two weeks excuse the pun
2015-9-22
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-9-10 03:53
Hello folks, i do not owe Inspire 1, but a Phantom 3, however it seems you all have the same problem ...

The lag seems to be back almost as bad as ever, with the latest RC firmware upgrade and app,  Started on two tab s one used on P3A and one on Inspire  both was perfect until last upgrade in Nov.
2015-12-3
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2015-9-22 17:02
Of all the advice I have read on this lagging problem this has to be the most in depth informative ...

Hi PI
Are you lagging after the last update to RC?
2015-12-3
Use props
pi-inthesky
First Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-12-4 00:40
Hi PI
Are you lagging after the last update to RC?

HI mtnmaddman
havent had a chance to fly new firmware update as yet dont sound good.Forcast here is 2/3 days of heavy rain will fly it as soon as possible keep me posted ill do the same
2015-12-3
Use props
capbat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-7 00:06

This worked for me on my Sam ...

Hi MtnMan.
I tried your suggestions, but the problem I have is after having disabled my Google Play Services the maps are all gone.

Bat
2016-6-25
Use props
YZ2129
Flight distance : 43845 ft
United States

TheCutter Posted at 2015-7-10 04:39
The problem has nothing to do with Google Apps. It is the rendering of the video feed that causes the lag.
Try to use a custom image transmission channel in the Pilot App and set the bandwith to 4mbps and you should have a much smoother video.

This immediately solved my laggy video issues. Thanks!
2017-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules