Pocket 2 Filters & Switch Off Behaviour
3987 16 2020-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i sometimes use filters with the Pocket and am wondering what triggers the camera to close down with the lens facing forwards or backwards? The reason I ask is that normally, when a filter is on the lens, it shuts down with the lens facing outwards which means the filter can stay on.

However, when I use my Polar Pro filters, it diesn’t shut down with the lens facung outwards, which means I have to keep taking the filter off.

Is it the weight of the filter that triggers this shut down?
2020-12-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe it's the non-DJI filters that are the cause of the problem, weight-wise?  I don't have the filters, but I've tried this with the wide-angle lens attached magnetically, and when switched off the Pocket gimbal snaps back to the "Park" position with no problem.
2020-12-1
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 12-1 04:11
Maybe it's the non-DJI filters that are the cause of the problem, weight-wise?  I don't have the filters, but I've tried this with the wide-angle lens attached magnetically, and when switched off the Pocket gimbal snaps back to the "Park" position with no problem.

Yes, I’m guessing it’s something to do with the weight because I also have the DJI wide angle and actually, some graduated filters from another company and they close down correctly.

It’s just the Polar Pro filters which is a pity because I like them but the camera closes down with the lens facing the wrong way with them on.
2020-12-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-1 04:16
Yes, I’m guessing it’s something to do with the weight because I also have the DJI wide angle and actually, some graduated filters from another company and they close down correctly.

It’s just the Polar Pro filters which is a pity because I like them but the camera closes down with the lens facing the wrong way with them on.

It's necessary to remove the wide-angle attachment anyway before popping the camera back into its Pocket, as the lens impedes full insertion. Even if it were to park in the back-to-front position as you describe, I wouldn't be happy to leave the lens (or filter) magnetically attached during transport or carrying the assembly about on the wrist strap - it would be far too easy for it to be come dislodged and lost.  A risk which I feel the developers have overlooked.
2020-12-1
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 12-1 04:38
It's necessary to remove the wide-angle attachment anyway before popping the camera back into its Pocket, as the lens impedes full insertion. Even if it were to park in the back-to-front position as you describe, I wouldn't be happy to leave the lens (or filter) magnetically attached during transport or carrying the assembly about on the wrist strap - it would be far too easy for it to be come dislodged and lost.  A risk which I feel the developers have overlooked.

I’ve been leaving mine on, but I don’t use the plastic case. I don’t like it. It’s too tight and not great with the DoItAll handle really. I feel that a bit of grit getting in there will cause screen damage when you pull it out because there’s quite a lot of friction.
2020-12-1
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

pocket2 detects lens and chooses the poweroff face direction.
third-party pocket2 lens need to do the compatibility tests and then claim whether suits for pocket2.
2020-12-1
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 12-1 04:54
third-party pocket2 lens need to do the compatibility tests and then claim whether suits for pocket2.

It’s not an electrical contact is it for the detection? I still wonder if it’s a weight thing. The Polar Pro lens is very light.

DJI sell ND folters but not combined with a polariser. I don’t think they have a polariser yet either.
2020-12-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 12-1 04:54

Not so. I've used the Pocket 2 with and without the supplied lens attachment, and it makes no difference to the "Park" direction.EDIT:  To contradict myself - I've just realised it's possible to put the device in the pocket either way round!  Live and learn.
2020-12-1
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-1 04:58
It’s not an electrical contact is it for the detection? I still wonder if it’s a weight thing. The Polar Pro lens is very light.

DJI sell ND folters but not combined with a polariser. I don’t think they have a polariser yet either.

it's not an electrical contact.

It is about the magnet thing. the third-party manufactories  make some test and then work it out.

If they followed the osmo pocket ND filters, it would work .

2020-12-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-1 04:53
I’ve been leaving mine on, but I don’t use the plastic case. I don’t like it. It’s too tight and not great with the DoItAll handle really. I feel that a bit of grit getting in there will cause screen damage when you pull it out because there’s quite a lot of friction.

Mine is quit a snug fit, but I don't feel there's a risk of damage to the screen. If in doubt, give it a quick wipe before replacing it in the pocket. I would imagine there's greater risk of screen damage leaving the device without protection - and the Pocket protects the gimbal from wobbling about when the device is switched off.
2020-12-1
Use props
Gollan
lvl.4
Canada

I have the DJI ND filter set, but my Pocket 2 still tries to power off with lens facing in, which stops when the ND filter hits the gimbal arm. With the wide angle lens, my Pocket 2 DOES correctly power off with the lens facing out. I'm hopeful that a firmware update will correct this issue as it is inconvenient to be unable to quickly power down when an ND filter is attached.
2020-12-1
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gollan Posted at 12-1 11:19
I have the DJI ND filter set, but my Pocket 2 still tries to power off with lens facing in, which stops when the ND filter hits the gimbal arm. With the wide angle lens, my Pocket 2 DOES correctly power off with the lens facing out. I'm hopeful that a firmware update will correct this issue as it is inconvenient to be unable to quickly power down when an ND filter is attached.

Ah that’s interesting. So it’s not just the Polar Pro filters. Looks like it must detect the weight of the filter so perhaps the nd’s might be a bit light in comparison to the wide angle. My wide angle is fine as well and so are my graduated filters from another company. It’s just the ND’s and they’re so small, I don’t really want to be taking them on and off while I’m out and about.
2020-12-1
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 12-1 05:32
Mine is quit a snug fit, but I don't feel there's a risk of damage to the screen. If in doubt, give it a quick wipe before replacing it in the pocket. I would imagine there's greater risk of screen damage leaving the device without protection - and the Pocket protects the gimbal from wobbling about when the device is switched off.

I put it into a pleather bag. Then there’s no wrenching it out. I mught try stretching the case out I think.
2020-12-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Iancraig10. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories like ND filters on your DJI Pocket 2. There is a possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it is not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. In addition, using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI Pocket 2 and can void the warranty as well. In addition I hope that you will also get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Members who owns the DJI Pocket 2 and uses the said ND filters as well. Thank you.
2020-12-1
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-1 19:21
Hello there Iancraig10. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories like ND filters on your DJI Pocket 2. There is a possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it is not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. In addition, using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI Pocket 2 and can void the warranty as well. In addition I hope that you will also get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Members who owns the DJI Pocket 2 and uses the said ND filters as well. Thank you.

Thank you for getting back to me Stephen. It seems from the comment above that the DJI supplied nd filters show this behaviour as well and I assume they must have been approved as well.
2020-12-2
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-2 01:05
Thank you for getting back to me Stephen. It seems from the comment above that the DJI supplied nd filters show this behaviour as well and I assume they must have been approved as well.

It must be a weight thing. I tried three different graduated filters today. Two work and it closes as normal, and one doesn’t!
2020-12-2
Use props
djiuser_fo6zMwlYORut
New

Portugal

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-1 19:21
Hello there Iancraig10. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories like ND filters on your DJI Pocket 2. There is a possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it is not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. In addition, using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI Pocket 2 and can void the warranty as well. In addition I hope that you will also get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Members who owns the DJI Pocket 2 and uses the said ND filters as well. Thank you.

Stephen, if you caught Gollan's reply, he said he has the DJI Pocket 2 ND Filters but the problem still persists. The lens still closes inward instead of outwards when an ND filter is attached. So the case is not just about 3rd party filters. Stop doing up selling please, we already bought the Pocket 2. I chatted with DJI customer support and he suggested the same thing that I use only DJI filters. Please inform the engineers about this issue and have them do a firmware update. Thank you.
2020-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules