I am having a issue with the video quality 4K
6579 25 2020-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EfekanD
lvl.1
Australia

Hey guys I got the newest DJI Pocket 2. I am not happy with the video quality as you can see from the video. I recorded this video 4K 24 fps everything auto only iso was 100. Problem is that video is not sharp as I excepted. It does not look like 4k it looks like 720p. I don't know why this happened but I watch the other channels footage they are pretty.  I updated the pocket. Lens is clean. Quality high but video is blurry and distortion. I did not render it. Hopefully someone can help me. You can see in this video what I mean even the auto mode same quality.

2020-12-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Looks pretty detailed to me. The cyclist goes past a bright yellow sign that reads "Caution, check twice for  trams" - and I'm reading that on a 1080 screen, not 4K.  
2020-12-5
Use props
EfekanD
lvl.1
Australia

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-5 00:40
Looks pretty detailed to me. The cyclist goes past a bright yellow sign that reads "Caution, check twice for  trams" - and I'm reading that on a 1080 screen, not 4K.

I thought that maybe I am recording the videos 4k 24fps and problem from moving the camera too fast like turning ? If I record 60fps it's gonna be good ? am I wrong ? but in 24fps need to be smooth ?
2020-12-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, EfekanD. Sorry to read about your experience. If you haven't tried, we suggest that you set the DJI Pocket 2 to Pro Mode and adjust manually the shutter speed. It would also help to set the gimbal to Slow Follow to have a smoother transition.
2020-12-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

EfekanD Posted at 12-5 01:38
I thought that maybe I am recording the videos 4k 24fps and problem from moving the camera too fast like turning ? If I record 60fps it's gonna be good ? am I wrong ? but in 24fps need to be smooth ?

Use the standard recording and not the high quality setting as it's not what you think it is. It adds noise reduction which is not needed when using low ISO values. Make sure the beatification setting is not on.
Maybe in bright light think about using an ND filter to bring the exposure time down as it's the gaps between each frame taken causing some of the jittering you would notice at 24fps. So at the moment you are getting a frame taken and then a gap of time before the next frame is taken. Yes, slow down panning shots.
24 fps is really for cinematic look videos and needs the longer frame exposure times to help get that look which is slightly softer due to the movement within each frame causing the image of each frame to have a slight blur. If you want a sharper looking video then more fps will help but may introduce different problems.
Ray.
2020-12-5
Use props
EfekanD
lvl.1
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-5 04:21
Use the standard recording and not the high quality setting as it's not what you think it is. It adds noise reduction which is not needed when using low ISO values. Make sure the beatification setting is not on.
Maybe in bright light think about using an ND filter to bring the exposure time down as it's the gaps between each frame taken causing some of the jittering you would notice at 24fps. So at the moment you are getting a frame taken and then a gap of time before the next frame is taken. Yes, slow down panning shots.
24 fps is really for cinematic look videos and needs the longer frame exposure times to help get that look which is slightly softer due to the movement within each frame causing the image of each frame to have a slight blur. If you want a sharper looking video then more fps will help but may introduce different problems.

thanks for advices and explanation I can see the problem now because as you said when I recording the video sun was very bright also I don't have ND filter so I see now. If I ask which ND filter should I get ? any recommendation ?
2020-12-5
Use props
EfekanD
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-5 04:18
Hi, EfekanD. Sorry to read about your experience. If you haven't tried, we suggest that you set the DJI Pocket 2 to Pro Mode and adjust manually the shutter speed. It would also help to set the gimbal to Slow Follow to have a smoother transition.

I try it thanks for it
2020-12-5
Use props
EfekanD
lvl.1
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-5 04:21
Use the standard recording and not the high quality setting as it's not what you think it is. It adds noise reduction which is not needed when using low ISO values. Make sure the beatification setting is not on.

Your way to explain very very useful mate. I appreciate that. You should write that top on the page or just keep this page then if any people having this problem let them know thanks again...
2020-12-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

EfekanD Posted at 12-5 04:25
thanks for advices and explanation I can see the problem now because as you said when I recording the video sun was very bright also I don't have ND filter so I see now. If I ask which ND filter should I get ? any recommendation ?

Which ND filter depends on the brightness of the light and how much you want to extend the exposure time down to.
You can normally buy sets of four of the most commonly used ones.
I can't say which one as I have no idea how bright the scene was or how much motion within a frame would be acceptable to you by altering the exposure time.
That needs practice and experience I'm afraid.
The easy route for now would be to go to either 50 or 60fps where shorter exposure times are more acceptable (less time between each recorded exposure and the gap where no image is being recorded) where it may be possible to get the results looking better without the use of an ND filter.

Ray.
2020-12-5
Use props
EfekanD
lvl.1
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-5 04:36
Which ND filter depends on the brightness of the light and how much you want to extend the exposure time down to.
You can normally buy sets of four of the most commonly used ones.
I can't say which one as I have no idea how bright the scene was or how much motion within a frame would be acceptable to you by altering the exposure time.

alright thanks man again I got the best answer ever. I try what you say
2020-12-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

EfekanD Posted at 12-5 04:26
I try it thanks for it

You're most welcome and you can also check Ray-CubeAce's suggestion. Hope that helps!
2020-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Try lowering the EV compensation to start.
There is a lot of over exposed areas.
2020-12-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-5 12:19
Try lowering the EV compensation to start.
There is a lot of over exposed areas.

Assuming it is very bright sunlight to begin with at 24fps that is going to make the frame judder even worse if the camera is already at its lowest ISO setting as the exposure time drops even more.
With a fixed aperture you only have two variables to play with. ISO and exposure time.  The fact the footage it is juddery and over exposed points to the need for ND filters if using 24fps in that amount of light.
2020-12-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I did this rather routine video the other day, trying out a variable nd filter I had for the Pocket 1 - worked ok I think - adjusted it at the start of the walk then forgot about it.  Came from Kase I think.  Less to think about than a box full of fixed filters.

2020-12-5
Use props
EfekanD
lvl.1
Australia

if you guys would like to watch my video here is the link let me know what all of you think thanks
2020-12-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EfekanD Posted at 12-5 20:21
if you guys would like to watch my video here is the link let me know what all of you think  thankshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onzAORV4Bw&feature=youtu.be

Very nicely done
2020-12-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Looks good!  One comment - I'm glad you've retained the excellent stereo sound, despite the wind.  You've kept the clips short which is generally recommended (my videos tend to have overlong clips, I confess"), and you've gone for plain jump cuts between takes which is what you see in TV productions 99% of the time.  But that gives a problem of jarring changes in the audio.  Depending on how you are editing your video, you should be able to have a jump cut in the video, but as long a crossfade between the outgoing audio and the incoming audio as is necessary to avoid a jolt for the listener.

That's my personal view.  Others may say I'm talking nonsense!
2020-12-6
Use props
EfekanD
lvl.1
Australia

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-6 01:05
Looks good!  One comment - I'm glad you've retained the excellent stereo sound, despite the wind.  You've kept the clips short which is generally recommended (my videos tend to have overlong clips, I confess"), and you've gone for plain jump cuts between takes which is what you see in TV productions 99% of the time.  But that gives a problem of jarring changes in the audio.  Depending on how you are editing your video, you should be able to have a jump cut in the video, but as long a crossfade between the outgoing audio and the incoming audio as is necessary to avoid a jolt for the listener.

That's my personal view.  Others may say I'm talking nonsense!

Thanks for you guys feedback I am glad to see that. Everything from the DJI. I just put them together and shared it
2020-12-6
Use props
Tom899
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-5 15:26
I did this rather routine video the other day, trying out a variable nd filter I had for the Pocket 1 - worked ok I think - adjusted it at the start of the walk then forgot about it.  Came from Kase I think.  Less to think about than a box full of fixed filters.

https://youtu.be/lSoL3cZ0-GE

Looks good with smooth motion. What settings please? I'm guessing you are following the twice the frame-rate rule?
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-5 14:04
Assuming it is very bright sunlight to begin with at 24fps that is going to make the frame judder even worse if the camera is already at its lowest ISO setting as the exposure time drops even more.
With a fixed aperture you only have two variables to play with. ISO and exposure time.  The fact the footage it is juddery and over exposed points to the need for ND filters if using 24fps in that amount of light.

True.
But there was no complaint about stuttering.
So I assumed that was not the issue.
Most people don't really notice stuttering if you move slow enough.
The OP complained about the 720p quality of the footage.
2020-12-6
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-6 10:02
True.
But there was no complaint about stuttering.
So I assumed that was not the issue.

Hi.
No.
He said it looked like 720p but was 4K. I was explaining that the jittery looking footage was caused by the exposure time being too fast.  Too much of a time gap between frames.
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-6 14:25
Hi.
No.
He said it looked like 720p but was 4K. I was explaining that the jittery looking footage was caused by the exposure time being too fast.  Too much of a time gap between frames.

Yeah,
That is common with a lot of videos.
I fact, I usually don't film with ND filters but just move slowly because of the hassle to put them on (and off and on and off because you need to get the right one every time, especially with a drone)
With a handheld camera it will be more easy, but still it ruins the flow for me of catching something when I want to.
I can live with the small jitter unless I really need something special.
2020-12-6
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-6 23:34
Yeah,
That is common with a lot of videos.
I fact, I usually don't film with ND filters but just move slowly because of the hassle to put them on (and off and on and off because you need to get the right one every time, especially with a drone)

I agree filters are a hassle and take time to check and prepare.
It's one reason I tend to stick to using a 50fps frame rate where it is less noticeable and more controllable in camera most of the time. I would use 60fps but some camera functions get cut off in 4K at that frame speed.
2020-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-7 04:36
I agree filters are a hassle and take time to check and prepare.
It's one reason I tend to stick to using a 50fps frame rate where it is less noticeable and more controllable in camera most of the time. I would use 60fps but some camera functions get cut off in 4K at that frame speed.

Indeed, that is a viable option.
For drones there is also the consideration of taking stills with ND filters since it can lead to blurred images because of the slower shutterspeed.
If one could make a wishlist, integrated ND filters would most certainly be something I would be willing to pay for!
2020-12-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EfekanD Posted at 12-6 01:40
Thanks for you guys feedback I am glad to see that. Everything from the DJI. I just put them together and shared it

You're welcome
2020-12-7
Use props
GRandyB
lvl.3
United States

EfekanD Posted at 12-5 01:38

Panning in 24 fps has always been an issue, even in classic films.
60fps should get smooth pans...even 30 fps may be enuf.
2020-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules