12Next >
6915 40 2015-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
payforwhat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 524081 ft
United States

Today I just received my new P3P and tried to perform maiden flight on my condo's rooftop. It was sunny day and seemed no problem. After few minutes later, suddenly my P3P lost GPS signal and slide to wall. I was panicked and when P3P hit the wall, I tried to grab it. While I was fighting to stop P3P, it tried to cut my arm and I have no idea how to stop this. Finally I forced to detach battery to stop this madness. Propellers are become all red because of my blood and my nexus 7 was dropped badly.

Fortunately, the only propellers were damaged and I was able to clean out all blood spill from all devices and contoller was cracked but works perfect. Impressive durability though.

I calibrated and performed all first step following manual video before maiden flight and this just happened. Perhaps rooftop is not a good location to start flight?

Also, if this kind of emergency situation occured again, is there any kill switch to stop this machine to prevent damage itself or hurt someone?

It looked a lot bad before clean out blood.

Sorry for my bad English, I am an ESL person.
2015-6-29
Use props
payforwhat
lvl.1
United States

20150630_013842747_iOS.jpg Also it cuts my fingers and belly too...:@
2015-6-29
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The kill switch is CSC (the same way you turned your motors on).

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-29
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

Case of another person who didn't do there homework.  End of thread.
2015-6-29
Use props
DaGunn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 203117 ft
United States

You are lucky that you did not have carbon fiber props attached, else you would have many deep stitches instead of small cuts.
2015-6-29
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please read the manual, reviews and all information before you attempt to fly the Phantom!

These are NOT for flying off the roof of anything. You need a large open area.

That's all for now. Read the manuals and warning and new pilot guide and more.
2015-6-29
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

Phantom 3 is NOT a TOY … It's an imaging platform
2015-6-29
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Compass dance
CSC
IMU
RTFM
If you need to look up any of the above then you are not ready my friend.

2015-6-29
Use props
baloo2303
lvl.1

Germany

But wait....could this be another case of bad DJI firmware?
It really pains me sometimes to read about the stupidity of some people, i will never cllaim to be an expert on quadcopter flying but i do realise that manuals have to be read before trying any sort of flying with the P3 or any other for that matter. Lets stop blaming the product and look a little clser to home for most of the problems!!
2015-6-29
Use props
ancientman
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for all advises. I just ordered prop guards with carrying case. My wife was extremely upset and refused to sleep with me yesterday. (She was very skeptical when I told her about purchasing this)
I have had Proto-X FPV(Crashed badly) and UDI(lost in the forest by gust) before so I thought I understand quad copter's behavior but it was too bold. I admit my mistake.
It was open sky rooftop so I thought GPS should not be interfered but maybe not. I was very impressed for its hovering stability until it slide fast.

I am using firmware 1.1.9 and no plan to upgrade for now(Too many bad stories about newest firmware). Also I do know CSC but there were not enough time to perform CSC at that time. You will understand when you encounter same situation. I needed to instant kill the machine.

By the way, my Nexus 7 was cracked (but working though) and I have Iphone 5S and LG G2 for work phone.
Does anyone can tell me which is better comparing IOS and Android for DJI pilot app? What happen if someone call me while I am controlling P3P using smart phone?

Sorry for my bad English again.

2015-6-30
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I am very sorry to hear about your mishap.  That's one of the worst quad accidents I have seen.  

I do have suggestions for you.  Never fly your quad close to humans or pets.  Stay at least 5 meters away.  Be sure to calibrate you're compass before each and every flight.  Do not fly near large metal buildings or structures as they can cause the compass to malfunction.   Never fly near power lines.  Be sure to wait at least a minute or two for the quad to acquire satellites before taking off.   

To shut down motors hold the throttle fully down for three seconds.  This is the only safe way to shut down.   Do NOT pull the sticks down and center as instructed in the manual.  (The manual is WRONG.)  Pulling the sticks down & center can cause the quad to flip over.

These machines are not toys.  Fly safely and stay away from it.
2015-6-30
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Large open area... The larger the better... No trees, powerlines, houses, building, people. Start slow and work form there.
2015-6-30
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

ancientman Posted at 2015-6-30 21:45
Thanks for all advises. I just ordered prop guards with carrying case. My wife was extremely upset ...

Don't get too confident even with prop guards. This guy had them and his injury appears to be far worse than the OP's injury:

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-6-30
Use props
mackie1604
lvl.2

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-1 00:56
Don't get too confident even with prop guards. This guy had them and his injury appears to be far  ...

Did he try to grab the copter in flight?  Land it on the ground...jesus that's stupid.
2015-7-1
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-1 00:56
Don't get too confident even with prop guards. This guy had them and his injury appears to be far  ...

LOL don't watch this if you don't like seeing a lot of blood. ;)
2015-7-1
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Hmmm, won't be too long until we see a news article screaming a headline "Attempted suicide by quadcopter!"
2015-7-1
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

The first time it happens, it's an accident, the second time it's stupidity.

We've all done things that were wrong and gotten away with without damage. Take this as your lesson to fully read the manual and don't operate the DJI Phantom 3 until you understand it fully. If English isn't your native language, go back to DJI's site and download the manual for the language which you speak fluently.

You're a lucky man to escape with just minor cuts and abrasions. Next time you might not be so lucky.
2015-7-1
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-2 03:10
The first time it happens, it's an accident, the second time it's stupidity.

We've all done things  ...

Hey Gregg -

How's flying these days?
2015-7-1
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

FlyGirl Posted at 2015-7-2 07:11
Hey Gregg -

How's flying these days?

Hello Fly Girl,
  I've only flown 4-5 times in the past two weeks. Too many family commitments to take the time go out and fly.
  I've got a total of 5 batteries, so at least when I go out I've got an hour to relax.

Any idea if you're going to get another Phantom or moving on to 3DR?

Not many people left over from the beginning of this adventure. Still have the same firmware and app issues, but a lack of DJI presence. Haven't seen Tahoe Ed or the girl in over two weeks. Hopefully this means they're beta testing the latest firmware.

Stop in, grab a frosty beverage and reminisce what your missing. Ha ha.
2015-7-1
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Try to catch it in your mouth next time.
2015-7-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

@mswall,
Hey forum bro, with all due respect, What was that nasty outburst about?
Ah,  We should be encouraging all others here to do better, be their very best.
I find the negative comments and rude replies a bit off centre, and truly unnecessary here.
This should be a friendly place, that others can look forward to visiting.
I don't know you, or why you have attitude, towards a total stranger, but please put a rein on it.
The guy had the courage to write how he has hurt himself, and you give him negative feedback.
We all have bad hair days, but be careful who you aim the hairspray at. ;-)

Wishing you much better days ahead, and only awesome flying and nothing but clean landings.

Take care of yourself, as perhaps no one else will.

RedHotPoker
2015-7-1
Use props
Rortizurbina
lvl.1

Spain

One of the first thing new pilots learn  on RPAS pilot schools is to fly the aircraft in ATT mode.
When you lose GPS signal the only thing it happens is that the Phantom stops maintaining the referenced position and it may drift with the wind. Very easy to fly it this way this way, not even an emergency but you need practice.
In some countries flying a "drone" requires some training and a certificate. That may be cumbersome for some but if you are a new pilot, have no previous experience with RC models that may be a thing to consider.
That training and knowledge could make your flying safer, and you can easily compensate the training costs with the cost of a destroyed Phantom.
2015-7-2
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Sorry that you had that accident, hope you fixed your P3 Soon, if you have any questions or help needed dont hesitate to PM me!
2015-7-2
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-7-2 15:43
@mswall,
Hey forum bro, with all due respect, What was that nasty outburst about?
Ah,  We should be  ...

Hold on there cowboy...  I am helping him.  Look, maiming yourself and then posting pictures of you bleeding (however in the heck you accomplished it) is NOT what should be posted in the forum.  Do you really believe that anyone reading this could possibly take my comment seriously.  Chill out poker, get a little humor in your life.
2015-7-2
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-1 00:45
Large open area... The larger the better... No trees, powerlines, houses, building, people. Start sl ...

Bloody hell... There would be nothing of interest left to film!

Nick
2015-7-2
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-2 07:25
Hello Fly Girl,
  I've only flown 4-5 times in the past two weeks. Too many family commitments to  ...

Hello again,

Still in line at the 'processing plant' in Torrence.
Had received the 'complimentary' email stating they were in possession. And, "don't call us-we'll call you"
I had seen a thread by Ed stating dji is moving their facility to a larger building ( formerly jet engines) to help accommodate the flood being sent in for service/repairs.
My first thought was, Darn I hope they don't loose them. Can you imagine that move?
I can't believe they will be competent with the logistics.

As far as the next one....
You need not not ask. 3DR or anything else.
It will be a cold day... before I dji ANY product.
85% of that decision is based on the business etiquatte, and lack there of.
I do not patronize poor service.
Besides, the more of us that go away- the shorter the line for those that stay.

Not sure if you knew,
'THE SPARE' showed up a day or so after I sent it away. I immediately sold it. (Boy was shipping a real hassle! Like saying "bomb" at the airport. You say lithium battery at the post office & they want to bring out the hazmat gear & armored transport truck. UNLESS, you ship with the product the battery is used for ??? Then, there is no worries???  Needless to say I nearly went postal, (so to speak) after tying to adhere to the restrictions/requirements and numerous trips.
Ended up not using USPS for delivery.

I then received the off-brand  backpack I had ordered.
Last week, the 3 xtra batteries ordered from Adventurx arrived. I ready.

So I wait. Like all the others wondering if & when there will be word.
OR will it get lost??

Need I say more?
Oh yeah, Look up in the Inspire section - A Swing and a Miss. Sad really.

Safe, enjoyable, uneventful flying to you
Cheers
                                                                                                                                                   The   BBB
2015-7-6
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

FlyGirl Posted at 2015-7-7 02:24
Hello again,

Still in line at the 'processing plant' in Torrence.

Hi there Fly Girl,

Been hanging around till things settle down.

DJI is making promises of allowing the firmware to be rolled back one revision level. Not sure if that's going to work. That promise was made last week, but no sign of a new version.

I've been looking at other quads and octo's as well as dumping multi rotors all together and getting into turbine helicopters. I guess I've been kidding myself that I would be happy with 4K video camera that takes 12 megapixel pictures.

Once you shoot 33 megapixel or greater it's hard to go back. For the price of an Inspire and the Phantom, I can get a T-Rex 700 turbine copter and mount one of my cameras. I've still got my Nitro copter, but the T-Rex takes that to the next step.

Keep in touch.

I'd PM but the system has other ideas.
2015-7-6
Use props
clive.cook67
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The only thing dangerous is the operator not the tools.
2015-7-6
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

clive.cook67@vi Posted at 2015-7-7 05:01
The only thing dangerous is the operator not the tools.

It's actually NOT easy to fly the Phantom if you are attempting any kind of structured shot and it suddenly boots itself to non-GPS mode. Crosswind drifting can be epic even in a light wind.
2015-7-6
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

mackie1604 Posted at 2015-7-2 01:27
Did he try to grab the copter in flight?  Land it on the ground...jesus that's stupid.

Just FYI, I "hand-catch" all the time. I find it more safe - at least for the Phantom :-)

But I'd not suggest it for anyone who is not very experienced and knows what he is doing.

The Phantom is a serious piece of kit that should be treated with the utmost respect. But I might also add that a kitchen knife can be dangerous too. Not to mention cars etc.

Common sense goes a long way. Doing the homework if you want to fly quadcopters is a must. EOD.
2015-7-6
Use props
flyingviking
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151693 ft
Canada

Hand catching is not a problem, but it has to be done correctly. Don't fly the quad to your hand, instead let it stabilize and hover at least 10 feet away from you and walk to it.

And, just like it has been mentioned here already, READ THE MANUAL.
2015-7-7
Use props
Nic6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1165 ft
United Kingdom

Nick Martin Posted at 2015-7-3 15:02
Bloody hell... There would be nothing of interest left to film!

Nick

The Sahara desert it is then!

I bet David Lean would of loved a Phantom 3 Pro for the making of Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
2015-8-15
Use props
Nic6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1165 ft
United Kingdom

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-1 00:45
Large open area... The larger the better... No trees, powerlines, houses, building, people. Start sl ...

The Sahara desert it is then!

I bet David Lean would of loved a Phantom 3 Pro for the making of Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
2015-8-15
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

learn to fly in an open area first - use the simulator to get used to the controls and produce a set of emergency procedures for all eventualities. these are not toys...
2015-8-17
Use props
dorius_23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118766 ft
Switzerland

Why would you approach the quad if it's hitting something, instead of just standing back and killing the motors?!
2015-8-17
Use props
mackschris
New
Australia

payforwhat Posted at 2015-6-30 10:30
Also it cuts my fingers and belly too...

Nice condo though

http://imgur.com/gAnMsQz
2016-9-14
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

WOW! This guy is really lucky to not have lost some fingers or something. Plenty of conversation here already, but I just have to say I agree with most of you that it is unfortunate that many new users don't take time to read the manuals, etc. All of these drones, planes, etc., are dangerous in the right situation. Even the small ones that are very cheap have risks. It is amazing that some people think these rotating blades are no big deal.
Under no circumstances is my drone worth getting cut up over. If I am ever in that type of situation, I will not make any attempt to try to catch it when it is out of control.
I have already made my mind up if that happens it will just be a loss, and I can replace it.
Hopefully this person has learned a valuable lesson and others can learn from it....although he is for sure not the first or last person to experience this.
Be safe everyone!
2016-9-14
Use props
Tripper Dog
lvl.2

With all due respect, it's cases like this that force the govt to over regulate industries, including aerial machines.  As JHall651 said "do your homework....Thread over."  
2016-9-14
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

I can't see hand catching being 'more safe' in any situation.
Common sense tells you not to reach into a blender.
Especially since these things will fight your hand to stay in the same location.
Plus the landing gear is not meant for the off angle stress you will be exerting.
You should always have enough battery left to fly to the nearest non dirt/ non grass patch.
Most of us can set down on a dinner plate if we had to.
2016-9-14
Use props
mikelt006
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

You hit the props and they cut you up?! total shock, will you get run over if you lay on the highway ? should check that out, stupidity gets you hurt, just try not using your throat to stop them props next time.
2016-9-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules