Is there a curve setting in Mini 2 to adjust stick response?
12Next >
13498 47 2020-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vindibona1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 206991 ft
United States

I know that you can adjust the yaw rate on the Mini 2, but I am not happy with the overall stick response. The Mini 2 MOVES TOO MUCH AT THE BEGINNING OF THE STICK MOVEMENT!  In other words, when beginning to move the sticks off center position, the first 10% creates a lot of movement while the last 20% doesn't do all that much.  I'd like the movement curves reversed, so that I can make very modest movements at the beginning of off-center stick movement and then gradually increase in a graduated fashion.  I want more precision in tight spaces.

The way I see it, when you make slight stick adjustments it's for precision and when you move further off center you just want the drone to GO!  
Let's face it... Where the Mini 2 can do what no other drone can do is fly indoors or in tight spaces.  The last thing we need is jerky motions that might crash your drone into one side of an opening when you only intended to move slightly away from the other side of that opening.  I find when flying in tight spaces, like doorways, the airflow changes and requires fine adjustment as you pass through those openings.  If you don't do it quickly enough the Mini's easily have their course distrubed.

Does the Mini 2 have any custom curves that can be set to help with more movement precision in addition to the new yaw adjustments?
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

To my best knowledge there is no EXP / GAIN setting like you have with some other drones.
But I did read about a cinematic mode. Not sure how it was called exactly since I don't have one yet.
(it is on the way)
2020-12-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Noticed that too; can't see any 'expo' adjustment for the sticks in the app.  I'm assuming that DJI had deliberately limited the customizability for the Mini2 to make it simple and easy for most people. But personally think the default expo settings are perfect.
2020-12-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 12-6 12:05
To my best knowledge there is no EXP / GAIN setting like you have with some other drones.
But I did read about a cinematic mode. Not sure how it was called exactly since I don't have one yet.
(it is on the way)

Yes, I believe they call it CINE mode instead of TRIPOD on the Mini2
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Monkey007 Posted at 12-6 12:15
Yes, I believe they call it CINE mode instead of TRIPOD on the Mini2

Thanks.
I'm soon to find out
2020-12-6
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

Thanks.  I was hoping against hope that I could change some things.

HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THAT THE CINE MODE ISN'T ALL THAT SLOW, especially when trying to make slow precision maneuvers? particularly when compared to the Mini 1 and especially with the Mavic 2 in Tripod mode?   Personally I find it obnoxiously fast and would think that it would either be generally slower to respond could be adjusted so that the controls aren't so jerky when in tight spaces.
2020-12-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 12-6 12:22
Thanks.
I'm soon to find out

Trust me captain, you'll love it! By the way, I know the feeling of waiting , and waiting for DHL delivery
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Monkey007 Posted at 12-6 12:37
Trust me captain, you'll love it! By the way, I know the feeling of waiting , and waiting for DHL delivery

Thanks!
I'm sure I will.
Man. It is killing.....
2020-12-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, vindibona1. If you're referring to the Gain & Expo Tuning, regretfully this feature or option is not available to the DJI Fly currently. Thanks for understanding.
2020-12-6
Use props
Przemo-c
lvl.1
Poland

This is the same issue I'm having. I want less motion with minimal  input. Even in CIne it's jerky. And adding smoothening isn't helping as it delays input as well so you can't have it super smooth and adjust on the fly without overcorrecting which looks awful. I would love to have per mode stick settings. In both Cine and Normal sensitivity near the center is way too high especially with spring tension starting rather high.
2021-1-20
Use props
Przemo-c
lvl.1
Poland

DJI Gamora Posted at 2020-12-6 23:04
Hi, vindibona1. If you're referring to the Gain & Expo Tuning, regretfully this feature or option is not available to the DJI Fly currently. Thanks for understanding.

Is there a chance it will get implemented? It's bothersome to start off so quickly on input when the initial center tension is relatively high.
2021-1-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Przemo-c Posted at 1-20 00:04
Is there a chance it will get implemented? It's bothersome to start off so quickly on input when the initial center tension is relatively high.

There are no confirmed plans for the time being but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for the DJI Mini 2.
2021-1-20
Use props
Debugger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4865846 ft
  • >>>
Greece

vindibona1 Posted at 2020-12-6 12:34

HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THAT THE CINE MODE ISN'T ALL THAT SLOW, especially when trying to make slow precision maneuvers? particularly when compared to the Mini 1 and especially with the Mavic 2 in Tripod mode?   Personally I find it obnoxiously fast and would think that it would either be generally slower to respond could be adjusted so that the controls aren't so jerky when in tight spaces.

I agree with you.
2021-1-20
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

This would be a nice addition!
2021-1-20
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

You can adjust the settings for each mode!
2021-1-20
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

Cients Posted at 1-20 09:59
You can adjust the settings for each mode!

I think you've missed the point.  The combination of the max speed and increased power of the Mini 2 in C mode coupled with too aggressive response from center position makes it very difficult to control with precision or smoothness in tighter spaces.
While you can adjust the yaw rate you cannot adjust the input sensitivity.   If you compare the Mini 2's C mode vs the Mavic 2's counterpart the Tripod mode, the Mini 2 will fly up to 13mph while the Mavic 2 will be less than 5mph (I want to say 2.5mph).  Consequently you can fully throttle a Mavic 2 in T mode and still have precise control because everything inbetween neutral and full stick is a fine adjustment.  With the Mini 2 in C mode the slightest touch of the sticks will get it going as fast as the Mavic 2 with full sticks. And then if you add a bit more stick it it's already 8mph or more.  And if you then go full stick with the Mini 2 from that point there  then takes you up to the full speed, which on a percentage basis isn't that much if you want to go 13mph... which you can easily control in the N mode anyway.  The sensitivy and response needs to be more like the Mavic 2. Even the Mini 1 didn't have this issue.  But let's realize that the only thing similar between the Mini 1 and Mini 2 is the body shape and the Fly app.

2021-1-20
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

vindibona1 Posted at 1-20 10:26
I think you've missed the point.  The combination of the max speed and increased power of the Mini 2 in C mode coupled with too aggressive response from center position makes it very difficult to control with precision or smoothness in tighter spaces.
While you can adjust the yaw rate you cannot adjust the input sensitivity.   If you compare the Mini 2's C mode vs the Mavic 2's counterpart the Tripod mode, the Mini 2 will fly up to 13mph while the Mavic 2 will be less than 5mph (I want to say 2.5mph).  Consequently you can fully throttle a Mavic 2 in T mode and still have precise control because everything inbetween neutral and full stick is a fine adjustment.  With the Mini 2 in C mode the slightest touch of the sticks will get it going as fast as the Mavic 2 with full sticks. And then if you add a bit more stick it it's already 8mph or more.  And if you then go full stick with the Mini 2 from that point there  then takes you up to the full speed, which on a percentage basis isn't that much if you want to go 13mph... which you can easily control in the N mode anyway.  The sensitivy and response needs to be more like the Mavic 2. Even the Mini 1 didn't have this issue.  But let's realize that the only thing similar between the Mini 1 and Mini 2 is the body shape and the Fly app.

OK, now I understand and remembered my old Phantom 3 Pro.
2021-1-20
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

HOPEFULLY DJI WILL GET THE MEMO AND ACTUALLY FIX THIS IN FIRMWARE! Slow the damned response curve in C mode (and maybe slow the max speed too!)
What's the point of having a C mode when the only difference between C and N and S is how fast you can make it go full throttle when all three modes have similar response from the sticks off of stick neutral!
  21#

Maximum Speed on Mavic 2 in Tripod Mode is 2.5 mph and on Mavic Air 2 C mode it is 10 mph...
and on the
Mini 2 C Mode=13mph!   [8mph on Mini 1! ]

2021-1-20
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I am not sure But for each mode (Sport, Normal, Cine) there are settings with both speed (in degrees per second) And smoothness (in some numbers?)  after some tryouts I think smoothness is EXP like setting? or at least it kind of worked for me on my first day...
2021-1-23
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

alex_markov Posted at 1-23 21:02
I am not sure But for each mode (Sport, Normal, Cine) there are settings with both speed (in degrees per second) And smoothness (in some numbers?)  after some tryouts I think smoothness is EXP like setting?  or at least it kind of worked for me on my first day...

Yes. That is primarily for yaw and the like.  But what my complaint is, is that the initial minimal stick input creates a far greater movement and response than the amount of stick movement should dictate.  Yet as the stick progresses from minimum to maximum there is a declining amount of response with larger amounts of stick movement.  

In other words, the response curve in the Cinesmooth mode is the opposite of what the C mode is supposed to do! I *should*  (in C mode) be-  lots of stick movement just off of center and very small drone movement, then more progessive movement as the sticks move toward the extreme positions.  What I'm saying is that if they cannot offer EXP then they need to invert the current curve- or if they believe they have a linear response they need to create more of an S curve, even if there are no adjustments available on the Mini 2.

Whoever programmed the C mode wasn't thinking about the end user.   As you said, you can change the yaw rate and smoothness and other features in all the Mini 2's modes. But what you can't change is the speed in actual speed in the mode that should be designed to have the most refined control.  Honestly, sticks just off center pretty much are the same in drone movement and response whether your in C, N or S modes. What's the point of having C mode if it's like that???. Makes no sense if you ask me.
2021-1-23
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

vindibona1 Posted at 1-23 21:20
Yes. That is primarily for yaw and the like.  But what my complaint is, is that the initial minimal stick input creates a far greater movement and response than the amount of stick movement should dictate.  Yet as the stick progresses from minimum to maximum there is a declining amount of response with larger amounts of stick movement.  

In other words, the response curve in the Cinesmooth mode is the opposite of what the C mode is supposed to do!  I *should*  (in C mode) be-  lots of stick movement just off of center and very small drone movement, then more progessive movement as the sticks move toward the extreme positions.  What I'm saying is that if they cannot offer EXP then they need to invert the current curve- or if they believe they have a linear response they need to create more of an S curve, even if there are no adjustments available on the Mini 2.

I never used tripod/cine mode but now when set smoothness to 15 I manage to have very fine and smooth rotations
2021-1-24
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

vindibona1 Posted at 1-23 21:20

In other words, the response curve in the Cinesmooth mode is the opposite of what the C mode is supposed to do!  I *should*  (in C mode) be-  lots of stick movement just off of center and very small drone movement, then more progessive movement as the sticks move toward the extreme positions.  What I'm saying is that if they cannot offer EXP then they need to invert the current curve- or if they believe they have a linear response they need to create more of an S curve, even if there are no adjustments available on the Mini 2.

Man.. I couldn't agree more with you! I just was about to write a post about it and then I saw  yours.
This is what makes the video looks professional. even not in small places it could help.
CINE mode is not helping much.
We need fine adjustment ability or tripod mode. its crucial.

Guys, please speak up about this issue so there will be a real chance for a fix.
2021-1-24
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

You do know that the stick movement is variable and not full throttle.
2021-1-24
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

alex_markov Posted at 1-24 13:22
I never used tripod/cine mode but now when set smoothness to 15 I manage to have very fine and smooth rotations
It’s not about the rotation rate, Alex. It’s about smooth speed control. Just today I was out practicing trying to follow my daughter and grandson as they walked the dog around the block.It didn’t matter that I wanted to go sideways in parallel to them, stay ahead facing backwards or chasing them. Fine speed control in the C mode was virtually impossible to do well. Just a touch of stick and it hardly did anything. A touch more and it shot way ahead. There was no middle ground with the controls. While I am not as expert as some I am not a new pilot either. I practice flying close quarters in the house and it’s a little scary knowing that just a bit more push on the stick and send it off into something. If we are being honest a “slow mode“ is really only needed when you’re really close to things. But when you are close you need to be able to control movement in inches, not in feet/yards

DJI needs to do something to refine the controls on what is otherwise a really nice dron.
2021-1-24
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

vindibona1 Posted at 1-24 18:39
It’s not about the rotation rate, Alex. It’s about smooth speed control. Just today I was out practicing trying to follow my daughter and grandson as they walked the dog around the block.It didn’t matter that I wanted to go sideways in parallel to them, stay ahead facing backwards or chasing them. Fine speed control in the C mode was virtually impossible to do well. Just a touch of stick and it hardly did anything. A touch more and it shot way ahead. There was no middle ground with the controls. While I am not as expert as some I am not a new pilot either. I practice flying close quarters in the house and it’s a little scary knowing that just a bit more push on the stick and send it off into something. If we are being honest a “slow mode“ is really only needed when you’re really close to things. But when you are close you need to be able to control movement in inches, not in feet/yards

DJI needs to do something to refine the controls on what is otherwise a really nice dron.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=234390
That's from yestarday with mini 2 smoothness on 15 (igot some more even denser caves comming next days)
2021-1-24
Use props
FrankMNL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77635 ft
Netherlands

The main problem in the sensitivity settings is the imbalance between yaw sensitivity (easily adjustable with C/N/S-switch) and roll/pitch sensitivity (much too sensitive).
This makes it extremely difficult to fly indoors and make coordinated turns.

It would be very helpful if the sensitivity can be adjusted.
2021-3-5
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

No, you can't tinker with stuff like this on these consumer toys.
2021-3-5
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

The stick input curve in the Cine mode is a critical flaw in programming. The way that they designed it currently there is a little difference between the cine mode and the normal mode beyond the maximum speed.

Anyone who has flown in tight quarters understands that the propellers wind force of  the drones themselves reflect off of nearby items such as walls ceilings and floors. Consequently drones in tight spaces require much more fine and consistent correction reacting to being pushed around by their own airflow.  This is the major flaw in the cine mode of the mini2. The over sensitivity  of the stick input combined with the latency and drone’s response  makes it very difficult to control the aircraft especially when you’re no longer in GPS mode. If you spend any time comparing the Cine mode to the normal mode you’ll recognize there is very little difference between the control in these two modes- or even the sport mode to some extent. DJI- PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!
2021-3-5
Use props
fans873da352
New

United States

I have to agree with everyone one this. The Mini moves WAY TOO FAST when wanting to get those smooth buttery indoor shots that you can’t get any other way.

PLEASE GIVE US THE ABILITY TO ADJUST STICK RATES!
2021-3-13
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

I'll make it easier for DJI to get the message...
电影模式下的摇杆输入曲线是编程中的关键缺陷。目前,他们在设计电影时的方式与电影模式相比,除了最大速度外,电影模式与普通模式之间几乎没有差异。

任何在狭窄地方飞行的人都知道,无人机的螺旋桨风本身会反射附近的物品,例如墙壁的天花板和地板。因此,在狭窄空间中的无人机需要更精细,更一致的校正,以应对自身气流的推动。这是mini2电影模式的主要缺陷。摇杆输入的灵敏度过高,加上等待时间和无人机的响应,这使得控制飞机非常困难,尤其是当您不再处于GPS模式时。如果您花费任何时间将电影模式与正常模式进行比较,就会发现这两种模式下的控件之间甚至在某种程度上甚至是运动模式之间的差异都很小。 DJI-请解决此问题!!!!
2021-3-14
Use props
Mrkarltl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108835 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree! Just got the mini 2 and even in cine mode the response of the sticks is far too aggressive. Very hard to do slow precision movements even with very tiny stick movements.

Really needs to have the ability to change the response curve or update firmware with improved/ reduced response curve..
2021-4-10
Use props
IX_Flights
lvl.1
Flight distance : 454098 ft
United States

If they don't implement this in firmware, and wait for the mini 3 for this setting to be available they might lose a lot of customers. There's some good competitors for the mini coming out and DJI better fix this stupid issue. I tried to fly around a tree in my backyard and it's not easy in C mode. Why market a drone around size and weight yet make it hard to control in tight spaces?? ?
2021-5-1
Use props
djiuser_PKUJi4wZy6MI
lvl.1

United States

Yes I have that issue too. I keep it in Cine mode most of the time and still it to very sensitive at the start of stick movement. It would be much better to have something in software to adjust the Cine mode gain.
2021-5-3
Use props
djiuser_rH3ZPAMJE4A9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77398 ft
Spain

Using fimi mini for cinematic here because mini 2 have not slow speed... Please implement slow speed or my mini go to wallapop
2021-5-5
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10 ft
Switzerland

invent a device that locks the sticks in any position, so the drone would fly by itself at the speed where the stick was left
2021-8-14
Use props
Andre vd Weide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

tazztone Posted at 8-14 04:47
invent a device that locks the sticks in any position, so the drone would fly by itself at the speed where the stick was left

the tell sometimes the drone has it (fly away)
2021-8-14
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

I agree! Not much difference between the three modes. Shape up DJI!
2021-8-15
Use props
vindibona1
lvl.2
United States

Something I've learned in the meantime is that the Mini 2 can be "buffeted" around if near objects going very slowly.   Going through doorways, or in hallways or near large obstacles the prop wash itself can push the Mini off course if you don't have enough power going on, meaning going faster.  When inches count in confined areas, it gets dicey.

The one thing I can say about the Mini 2 is that it is easier to control yaw speed, smoothness and overall controllability (except in tight spaces) than a Mavic 2.  However the M2 has tripod mode, is heavier and has lots of power to spare.  It's just bigger... and more expensive if you crash it.
2021-8-15
Use props
djiuser_3KwAy3FZ0EQA
New

Belgium

Has anything been done about this yet?
Had a hard time explaining to my employer why I couldn’t nail that indoor video as precise as I would’ve done with my old drone.
2021-9-19
Use props
djiuser_3KwAy3FZ0EQA
New

Belgium

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-20 03:02
There are no confirmed plans for the time being but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for the DJI Mini 2.

Any update yet?
2021-9-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules