Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2126677 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hello Guys!

I am just curious if I could fly with my MA2 in snowfall tomorrow as I have no experience in this regard!
Any idea or expereince?
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Depending on the amount of snow, it should be good. There are a lot of videos showing it can be done.
But there is a risk of snow entering holes you don't want snow to enter, so calculate the risk!
2020-12-6
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Hello, you can fly, but try to keep the batteries warm before the flight, and also know that the flight time will be shorter, the lipo batteries hate the cold.
2020-12-6
Use props
M J
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 12-6 12:06
Depending on the amount of snow, it should be good. There are a lot of videos showing it can be done.
But there is a risk of snow entering holes you don't want snow to enter, so calculate the risk!

Thank you !
2020-12-6
Use props
M J
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

VanzPix Posted at 12-6 12:07
Hello, you can fly, but try to keep the batteries warm before the flight, and also know that the flight time will be shorter, the lipo batteries hate the cold.

Thanks a lot!
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2020-12-6
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I would also cover up the button on the battery and the gaps between the battery and fuselage with Scotch tape or something similar. The battery will be warm enough to melt any snow that lands on it, and you don’t want water to get inside the battery or to the contacts.
2020-12-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 12-6 14:25
I would also cover up the button on the battery and the gaps between the battery and fuselage with Scotch tape or something similar. The battery will be warm enough to melt any snow that lands on it, and you don’t want water to get inside the battery or to the contacts.

covering up holes and gaps....no risk to overheating due to impeding air flow, etc?
2020-12-6
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I would keep in mind that the rotors have holes and when hot snow will turn into water and seep into those holes.  I doubt it will be a real issue but more of a consideration.
2020-12-6
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-6 14:30
covering up holes and gaps....no risk to overheating due to impeding air flow, etc?

I’m not talking about covering up the air vents. And this would be in freezing conditions, so overheating won’t be an issue.
2020-12-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-6 14:30

I seriously doubt that the seams around the switch and those between the battery and body are much ventilation anyway.
2020-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there M J. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. In addition to this post and since winter is coming I will post a link where in you can check some tips on Flying a Drone in Winter: 5 Things You Must Know ( https://store.dji.com/guides/winter-drone-flying-tips/ ). Thank you and fly safe always. .
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-6 19:52
Hello there M J. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. In addition to this post and since winter is coming I will post a link where in you can check some tips on Flying a Drone in Winter: 5 Things You Must Know ( https://store.dji.com/guides/winter-drone-flying-tips/ ). Thank you and fly safe always.  .

Good guide!
2020-12-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Would you fly in the rain?
2020-12-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a risk that only you can decide to take.  If any snow gets inside the shell and melts on the electronics you can have serious issues.  Also, keep in mind that moisture can damage the motors.  Just do a really good post flight dry off.  Use a blow dryer aimed at air vents and motors and that should minimize any possible issues.  
2020-12-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Id only fly in very light snow.
2020-12-7
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

The motors will be hot and shouldn’t need drying.
2020-12-7
Use props
M J
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Hello there M J. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. In addition to this post and since winter is coming I will post a link where in you can check some tips on Flying a Drone in Winter: 5 Things You Must Know ( https://store.dji.com/guides/winter-drone-flying-tips/ ). Thank you and fly safe always.  .

Thank you Stephen!
2020-12-8
Use props
M J
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

A J Posted at 12-7 03:11
Would you fly in the rain?

Most probably if it s light!
2020-12-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M J Posted at 12-8 08:30
Most probably if it s light!

Same with snow
2020-12-8
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-12-8
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

In addition to what all the other 'experts' have said... heavy wet snow, maybe not... light and fluffy... yeah, I'd try it for a 10 minute test run and look for anything out of the ordinary.
2020-12-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, Stephen.  But, you know... that article was written nearly 4 years ago.  There's some battery recommendations ( fully charge and discharge every three months, for example) that don't seem to apply to the User Guide recommendations.
2020-12-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there Montfrooij. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2020-12-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-9 22:48
Hi there Montfrooij. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. Have a safe and a happy flying always.  .

I will, thank you!
2020-12-9
Use props
M J
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

WebParrot Posted at 12-9 12:43
In addition to what all the other 'experts' have said... heavy wet snow, maybe not... light and fluffy... yeah, I'd try it for a 10 minute test run and look for anything out of the ordinary.

Thank you very much!
2020-12-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

M J Posted at 12-8 08:29
Thank you Stephen!

Hi there M J. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Again, thank you for your support and keep on flying. .
2020-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules