New Mini 2 Bird watching
1217 16 2020-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gbmarsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75692 ft
Canada

Just got my Mini 2 on Dec 4th and took it out for a quick test flight the day after. Great little drone for bird watching! I've tried doing this in the past with my P3S but it always scares the ducks away, this little drone is so quiet that they didn't seem to notice it. The 2x zoom is also a nice feature that seems to perform well.
Here's a short clip from the flight:

2020-12-6
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Remember to exercise caution around birds.  Some birds attack drones.  I have had no problems with my Mavic Air 2 from ducks.  

But I had a group of crows circle the drone and get close like they were going to try to down it.  Also, swans and geese are very aggressive I flee the area at park once as they would take off and go after it.  In the fairness of disclosure the park has major problem with the swans and they have several dogs trained to work in pack to chase them off.  

Also, Gerald the infamous Turkey gangster in Oakland reportedly attacked a drone and then it's operator when it landed.  Gerald was a habitual attacker of people and an outlier who was recently relocated.
2020-12-6
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Most birds won't hit it, but it's a thing that can happen relatively easy. Just try not to bother them, specially near nests. You can use x4 zoom at 1080 resolution, it has much less quality but helps maintaining the distance.

Small birds think it's a predator... and predators think it's food. The drone is a bit noisy so hopefully that keep birds from touching it.

• I got attacked by an eagle once, it came down from the sky and missed the hit, probably it realized Mini 2 was not food in the last moment.

• Twice I got almost hit by a seagull (flying at the same altitude, I wouldn't consider them attacks).

• Sometimes I get swarmed by starlings and get constantly bullied by them.

• Once I flew with a hundred seagulls and they didn't even pay attention to the Mini 2.

2020-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there gbmarsh. Thank you for reaching out and for this amazing video you have filmed. Great work and keep on filming. .
2020-12-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quite a collection of Mallards there. Good work.
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Well made!
2020-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij
2020-12-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent footage
2020-12-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-6 15:30
Most birds won't hit it, but it's a thing that can happen relatively easy. Just try not to bother them, specially near nests. You can use x4 zoom at 1080 resolution, it has much less quality but helps maintaining the distance.

Small birds think it's a predator... and predators think it's food. The drone is a bit noisy so hopefully that keep birds from touching it.

Cool looking vids
2020-12-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool footage.  Ducks didn't seem to mind at all.
2020-12-7
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Nice thanks for sharing!
2020-12-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2020-12-7
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

That came out nice. They seem totally oblivious to the drone.
2020-12-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

nice vid but if i did that, i could see someone calling the police claiming i am harassing wildlife based on the hovering and the length of time.  you say you do this frequently?
2020-12-7
Use props
gbmarsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75692 ft
Canada

The Saint Posted at 12-7 18:02
nice vid but if i did that, i could see someone calling the police claiming i am harassing wildlife based on the hovering and the length of time.  you say you do this frequently?

Well, I do live in a very rural area and the few neighbors I have are all familiar with my hobby.
2020-12-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Very nice video
2020-12-7
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4