13692 22 2015-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Need some help.  I just bought a new Inspire 1 Remote Controller and I can't get it to work.  Acts as if the RC USB port is bad.

I can't get the RC to recognize a USB stick with latest firmware .bin file in the root directory of a micro SD card. In addition, The blue light on the USB stick never comes on.  When I stick the same USB stick in my original RC USB port and turn it on, after 10 seconds the Blue light on the USB stick comes on and stays on.  When  I check the SD card root directory there's a text file that says abort firmware is the same version as the one already installed on the remote. But when I erase the txt file and stick the same USB stick in the new RC's USB port and turn it on, nothing happens - blue light on USB stick never comes on and no beeps from the RC and no txt file ever written to the SD card. Also, I can't calibrate the RC sticks.  iPad app shows DISCONNECTED.   The iPad acts as if it is not connected to a RC. The RC won't connect to an IPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 3 using two different cables that work fine with my original Remote Controller. I'm fully charging the RC now in the desperate hope that will eliminate this issue. Looks like the RC USB port is defective.

Any suggestions before I return item to eBay vendor?
2015-6-29
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Based on the information you have provided, I agree that your USB port is not working correctly. OR

Wait a minute, did you format the SD card / Flash drive using Fat32 or Exfat before you put the .bin file on it?

This could be why it is not being seen by the controller.  

Sorry man

Rich
2015-6-29
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I did format the SD card before putting .bin file in root directory. Fully charging the RC has not made any difference.  Knew that was a long shot. USB stick light comes on in 10 seconds on my original remote, but no light - even after 5 minutes - when USB stick is inserted in new RC USB port and power turned on. Damn.
2015-6-29
Use props
peter.psilver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I had the same problem a while ago, in the end i connected the RC to the camera port and updated it that way.

On the last update the flash drive worked ok. Perhaps trying a different flash drive may help.
2015-6-30
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

peter.psilver Posted at 2015-6-30 17:05
I had the same problem a while ago, in the end i connected the RC to the camera port and updated it  ...

I tried connecting to the USB port on the Remote Controller to the micro USB port on the back of the camera (using one of the two USB to micro USB cables that came with the Inspire) and then turning on the Inspire aircraft battery.  However, the cable prevents the camera from being able to initialize (the USB connector/cable interferes with the gimbal directly behind it).  I'm hesitant to try to connect to the Inspire camera AFTER turning on the Inspire 1 as the gimbal is powered and I don't want to risk damaging it.  That port is not easy to access being directly behind and slightly underneath.  I can't control the gimbal from the remote controller at this point, so I can't move it to a more easily accessible angle. Frustrating.

Any suggestions?  How did you connect to the camera - did you use a USB cable with a 90-degree micro USB connector to plug into the back of the camera?  
2015-6-30
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Some flash drives use strange drivers.  Buy yourself a USB micro SD card reader.   If your tablet or phone works on the transmitter, your USB port is fine.
2015-6-30
Use props
hinestroza99
New

Colombia

I have the same issue, my slave control USB port doesnt work, I cant connect any devise or usb memory stick, the RC ligth is solid red, but the master control works grate, I tried everything without success, any suggestion
2015-6-30
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

YES!!! I finally got my new Inspire 1 Remote Controller working and set up as a Slave to my original Master Remote Controller.  I was nearly convinced that the new RC had a bad USB port and I would have to return it.  But now it’s working perfectly.  I wonder how many RCs have been returned because folks were having the same problems I was experiencing.  Wow – these state of the art electronics certainly present some challenges to the hobbyists and professionals that just want them to work hassle-free out of the box.

I didn’t write down what I did as I was doing it, so I will try to remember as many details as I can.  Some (many?) of the steps I took below may be unimportant/non-essential, but I don’t know.

First, here’s the situation I was faced with immediately after unboxing a brand new Inspire 1 Remote Controller (still wrapped in plastic and taped) from an eBay reseller:
1.        RC would turn ON, status light was RED, third white charge indicator LED was blinking
2.        I was able to fully charge RC – took about 3.5 hours
3.        Using two different USB-to-Lightning cables (both proven to work on original RC) I was unable to connect the RC to either my iPad Air 2 or my iPad Mini 3. Here were the symptoms:
a.        The “Trust this Device?” message never appeared on either device’s display.
b.        In the “RC Settings”, “RC Control Settings”, “RC Calibration,” when I clicked on “Calibrate” then “Start” and then “OK” in response to the warning message about resetting sticks to their midpoints, moving the sticks and gimbal wheel produced no response. Since these same messages (Calibrate, Start and Warning message) will appear even if the iPad is not connected to the RC, I took this as another indication that the USB port on the RC was not working.
c.        In “General Settings,” “About,” there was no indication of the current firmware version of the new RC, only the current iOS app version.  Again, it appeared there was no working connection to the RC, and it appeared the RC USB port was bad.
d.        I was unable to install the latest Inspire 1 firmware (WM610_FW_V01.02.01.06.bin) on the RC by formatting the original 633X 16gb micro SD card and placing only the .bin file in the root directory, then placing the SD card in one of two different USB 3.0 stick card readers that I have used to successfully update my original RC several times, placing the USB stick in the USB port and powering on the RC.  The access light on the USB stick would never illuminate (waited 15 minutes), there were no beeps from the RC, the status light remained a constant RED. I tried this repeatedly – well past the “definition of insanity” number of times.  (NOTE: When I would insert the same USB stick card reader in my original RC, the USB stick status light would illuminate within 10-15 seconds.) So, again, it appeared the USB port on my new RC was dead.
e.        I was also unable to update the RC firmware by inserting the SD card with the .bin file in the camera, turning on the Inspire 1, connecting a USB to micro-USB cable to the camera, then powering on the RC.  The Inspire 1 camera/gimbal would slowly beep, but the RC was silent (no beeping) and the status light on the RC remained a constant RED for 15 minutes.

Here are the steps I took that allowed me to update the new RC with the latest firmware AND set it up as a fully-functional Slave RC to my original Master RC:

1.        Connected the RC to my iPad Air 2 using proven USB to lightning cable and turned on both devices. No “Trust this Device” message appeared. Not a good sign.
2.        Got into RC Settings and tried to calibrate the RC sticks (FAIL – no connection to RC, so display graphic of sticks showed no movement as I moved actual RC sticks). Not a good sign.
3.        In RC Settings I noted that Set RC Status (OFF, Master, Slave) was set to OFF.  No surprise as this is what is displayed when the iPad is not connected to a RC. But I tried changing to “Slave” and the message “Change RC Status” appeared.  Again, no surprise as this will also happen if the iPad is not connected to a RC. I clicked OK and RC Name appeared with blank entry.  I entered a name and hit Return and name remained on screen. Exited menu. Turned off RC and iPad.
4.        Formatted three USB 2.0 (not USB 3.0) memory sticks between 1 GB and 8 GB capacity in FAT32 format using my laptop, and copied latest firmware .bin file to root directory of each memory stick. My thinking was that MAYBE the firmware in the new RC was so old that it could not reliably connect with USB 3.0 card reader sticks or to the Inspire 1 camera which already has the latest firmware installed.  The failure to link with the camera port may have been a firmware mismatch issue.
5.        Inserted the 1 GB USB 2.0 memory stick in the new RC’s USB port and turned on the new RC. After 15 seconds the access light on the USB stick started flashing!!! What? That’s new (and promising)! 20-30 seconds later the RC started a series of four beeps and the RC status light turned BLUE indicating a firmware update was in progress!  YES!!!  VERY PROMISING!
6.        After 10-20 minutes (not sure how long – I left the room to watch TV with my spouse), the update had completed, RC stopped beeping and RC status light was GREEN indicating a successful firmware update.  I confirmed this by checking the USB memory stick on my laptop, the txt file indicated “Result:  SUCCESS”.  That’s a very good sign, indeed!
7.        I was curious what would happen if I now put one the USB 3.0 card reader sticks containing a micro-SD card with the .bin file in the root directory in the RC’s USB port and turned on the RC.  Recall that this had failed - in over a half dozen previous attempts - to produce any response from the RC.  However, this time, the access light on the USB stick came on 10 seconds after I powered on the RC, and it stayed on.  When I checked the micro-SD card reader USB stick in my laptop, there was txt file indicating “Result: Abort. The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the remote controller.”  So, after a successful firmware update using an older USB 2.0 memory stick, the new RC can now talk to USB 3.0 card reader sticks. VERY INTERESTING.
8.        I powered on original RC, which was connected to my iPad Mini 3, then powered on the Inspire 1.
9.        In RC Settings for the original Master RC, I changed RC Name and Password to something different from the factory defaults.
10.        Connected new RC to iPad Air 2, powered on the RC and iPad Air 2 and the “Trust this Device” message appeared for the first time when connected to the New RC.
11.        In “RC Settings”, “RC Control Settings”, “RC Calibration” when I clicked on “Calibrate” then “Start” and then “OK” in response to the Warning message about resetting sticks to their midpoints, I was now able to calibrate both Sticks and the Gimbal Wheel.
12.        In RC Settings, I noted that the RC Status was set to Master, and the RC Name and Password were set to DJI Factory settings. So, Step 3, above, may have been unimportant/unnecessary because the changed RC name and password I set did not stick. On the other hand, maybe Step 3 somehow turned ON the USB port and allowed the RC to see the USB 2.0 memory stick.  Question:  What does setting the RC Status to OFF actually do?  Does it possibly deactivate the RC’s USB port?
13.        I changed Set the new RC Status to “Slave” and clicked on OK in response to “Change RC Status?” message.
14.        I also changed new RC Name and Password to new values meaningful to me.  (Note: Remember to hit Return after changing each entry.)
15.        I clicked on “Search for Master Controller” and a small spinning wheel symbol appeared.
16.        After a few seconds, the name of my Master RC appeared. I clicked on it and said OK to DJI Pilot app messages on both my new Slave RC and my original Master RC to authorize the linkage of the Slave to the Master RC.
17.        I confirmed that I could now rotate the camera with left-right movements of the Left Stick on the Slave RC, and I could tilt the camera using up-down movements of the Right Stick on the Slave RC.
18.        Turned everything off (Inspire 1 aircraft, both RCs, both iPad devices) and 30 minutes later I turned everything back on (Master RC and its connected iPad, Slave RC and its connected iPad, and the Inspire 1 aircraft.  Live video image from the Inspire 1 camera appeared on both iPad devices and I was able to control camera rotation and tilt with the Slave RC sticks.  I could still control camera tilt with Master RC gimbal wheel and could reset camera position with Camera control icons on both iPad devices.
19.        Note: If everything is operating correctly, the Master RC status light color is GREEN and the Slave RC status light color is BLUE.

CONCLUSION:  In the final analysis, I think the key step to getting the new RC functional was using an older USB 2.0 memory stick (freshly formatted and with nothing but the firmware .bin file in the root directory) to successfully update the new RC firmware.  This then seemed to fully activate the USB port on the new RC so that it could now fully connect to my iPad devices and with USB 3.0 card reader sticks.  This then allowed me to change the RC status to Slave and link to my Master RC.  So, what first appeared to be a defective, non-working USB port on my new RC, was due to an RC in desperate need of a firmware upgrade.  Once updated, the new RC and its USB port were fully functional.
2015-6-30
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hinestroza99@ho Posted at 2015-7-1 04:12
I have the same issue, my slave control USB port doesnt work, I cant connect any devise or usb memor ...

Don't despair - you may be able to get it working yet.  See my recent post on how I got my new RC working.  

Key step - use an older USB 2.0 (not USB 3.0) memory stick, freshly formatted and with nothing but the latest firmware .bin file in the root directory, to update the firmware of the new RC.  If you can successfully update the RC firmware, it should now connect with your mobile device.

See my detailed (and lengthy) post on all the steps I took to get things working.

Let me know if you are able to resolve your problem.
2015-6-30
Use props
DodgyTechie
New

Indonesia

1. Hi All, i have this same issue after updating to the latest FW Inspire_1_Firmwarev1.2.1.06_en. My Master remote will not start the FW update process at all with various new and older USB Thumb drives. Looks like the RC may have been bricked.
2. power on RC red light is lit.
3. RC can still control Inspire with no USB APP link.
4. Have tried on S5, Iphone, Ipad, Note 8. still no link
5. i only have the one controller and 900 dollas for a new controller doenst look so good.
any further ideas?
6. have tired the gs_ofdm.bin but to no avail.
7. the USB Drives have tried exfat and FAT32 formatted
8. small usb port on RC has connected to PC as a serial port using the SDK drivers.
9. small USB port on tail of inspire 1 give FW details in the DJI N1 assistant software - the RC does not get detected by this.
10. is there some utility to update the FW on the RC using the small USB port as a Serial connection - to repair the Bricked RC.
11. Inspire 1 took the FW update and txt file confirms update success.
12. flying the Inspire 1 without any Vid/OSD is frustrating as there is no indicator of the camera recording - leaving me with potential waste of time. Also cannot frame the objects of interest - all hit and miss and pray.
13. i really do not want to buy a second remote.
14. i have successfully installed previous FW on the RC and the Inspire 1.
15. i have tried many different cables - micro usb and Lightning to no avail - app remains with MSG DISCONNECTED.
16. Is there a way to fix this without sending back to DJI?
17. how can i enter engineering mode?18. where can i get the software DJI WM610? to run the serial over USB thru the micro USB port to reflash the eeprom/fw?
19. i have tried a MHL Micro USB to USB drive adaptor in the RC to no avail, with other USB drives with the FW on it.  

Appreciate any further ideas...
2015-7-27
Use props
hinestroza99
New

Colombia

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-7-1 13:54
Don't despair - you may be able to get it working yet.  See my recent post on how I got my new RC  ...

thanks for your help, but I couldnt fix it, dji gave to me a new slave remotte control, and last week my brother bought a new dji inspire 1 and have the same problem, one of the remotte control has the usb port broken, I tryed everything that you say but doesnt work, I can believe that both of inspire 1 that we bought have had a broken slave remotte controler, we paid a lot of money for this toys,   
2015-8-18
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hinestroza99@ho Posted at 2015-8-19 09:46
thanks for your help, but I couldnt fix it, dji gave to me a new slave remotte control, and last w ...

Sorry you are having problems, but I don't know exactly what problem(s) you are having.

Your new Inspire and the replacement Slave Controller shipped from DJI will likely have the latest firmware already installed.  If so, then no firmware update is required.  Also, as of the last firmware update, the Remote Controller firmware can no longer be updated using the USB port.  Instead, the RC firmware is updated through the DJI GO app running on a mobile device that is connected to the Internet.
2015-8-24
Use props
solimanzaki
New

Egypt

Hi,, the new intelligent flight mode works with Android or just for ios only ? after i update every new Firmware and DJI go app to 2.1 ,,, not working..thank you
2015-9-11
Use props
JMK12
lvl.1
Germany

I'm having the same problem.

Just got a brand new Inspire 1 with two remotes.
Updating the firmware of the Inspire and remote #1 worked.

But remote #2 seems not to recognize any USB devices (tried several usb sticks, 2.0 and 3.0, memory cards, card readers and the gymbal).
It also doesn't connect to the app (tried iPhone 6 and iPad min, both working with remote #1).

Any ideas what I can do?
2015-9-16
Use props
JMK12
lvl.1
Germany

After all I brought the controller back to the dealer.
Luckily he had another one in stock and gave it to me in exchange.

The new one works properly! Yes! We had our first shoot with the inspire and everything went fine. Dual operator mode is great.

If you are having the same problem: Don't waste your time. Just get a new controller!
2015-9-27
Use props
mikesd
lvl.1

United States

I actually had a bad USB.  My symptoms were the same.  Couldn't connect my new RC, to be used as a camera control.  Also wouldn't let me get the RC out of OFF.  With some basic troubleshooting and swapping,  Here is what I found
2016-1-2
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

mikesd Posted at 2016-1-2 20:00
I actually had a bad USB.  My symptoms were the same.  Couldn't connect my new RC, to be used as a c ...

Yeah, to me is sounds like a faulty or non-compatible USB stick.
2016-1-3
Use props
stan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8834869 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

teamnest1 Posted at 2016-1-3 16:56
Yeah, to me is sounds like a faulty or non-compatible USB stick.

I have the same problem also, perhaps I should do a swap as mikesd mentioned, but I am too afraid to damage the flat cables connecting to the boards, too bad!
2016-1-5
Use props
craig.rich
New

United Kingdom

I was having similar problems that I thought may be related to the USB drive, or the port on my controller. I was trying to update to FW1.6 and it would just not do a thing. I tried 2 x USB drives and 1 x MicroSD in a USB reader. Each time nothing would happen on either master or slave controller. Trying the MicroSD in the aircraft would also fail. At best I had the TXT file on the drive that told me that I was already using a newer version of firmware.

I tried downloading 1.6 multiple times, and it would either not read / or do a thing, or report it was already newer. I also tried formatting the USB devices multiple times to FAT32.

In the end, after some experimentation I found a work-around. I downloaded the FW1.3 from DJI's site, and that worked instantly in the master controller. Once that had installed the DJI GO app recognised everything and allowed me to update the controller to the latest version within the app. Once that was completed, I inserted the MicroSD back in the gimbal, with the original FW1.6 file on it, and it worked straight away. I could then update slave controller and 3 other batteries without a hitch.

Interestingly when I had installed FW1.3 and the DJI GO app sprung into life, it was reporting a hardware error on the aircraft "MC connection to the center board has failed". Once I had managed to get FX1.6 onto the aircraft, the error cleared and I've had no issues since.

So - lesson learned, and something to try - install V1.3 and see if things work from there.

Cheers, Craig

2016-1-18
Use props
melondez.gmail
New

Norway

I had the same problem, not posible to update or connect the second RC. I wrote in a FB forum, and someone told me this:
Try this: 1. pair up (sync) the RC to the inspire - click the little red button in the nose. 2. Update firmware on the RC controller, batteries and inspire. 3. Open the app on both ipads and go in the main menu there is an option under RC to have one in the master and the other in the slave mode. 4. Sync both controllers with the pin. 5. Reboot everything and voila. )

It worked out perfectly : )
2016-1-18
Use props
ea6le
lvl.2

Turks and Caicos Islands

I had the same problem with the controller not talking to the ipad and did the diagnostic with my functional Inspire remote control and found that the HDMI board is bad. The easy fix is to buy this http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-hdmi-output-module

Just ordered 2 of this just in case.
2016-3-26
Use props
mikea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17493 ft
United States

mikesd Posted at 2016-1-2 21:00
I actually had a bad USB.  My symptoms were the same.  Couldn't connect my new RC, to be used as a c ...

Holy moly batman. This worked. Your 100% correct. I swopped cover and was able to upgrade the bricked remote. I need to go back and finish reading your fix to see if its temporary or both are working fine now. Thanks for your instructions. DJI should be ashamed.
2016-9-26
Use props
Air Photo Colombia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170640 ft
  • >>>
Colombia

Update 2019

i have this problem today whit 2 inspire controls i try all that is in this post after a few hours i find the final solution.

i change the HDMI module for a new one and make the firmware update from the app and works perfect.  thanks to all.
2019-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules