DJI Mini 2 Motor unable to rotate
44355 33 2020-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJIFan999
lvl.3
Flight distance : 212546 ft
Pakistan

Hi team its just a week now since i am having problems with my DJI Mini 2 last night I was trying to take off the drone. I receive the following error and suddenly crashed on a tree
and fell on the ground. After that it took off again normally but any one know why it happened ??  I checked properly all propellers were open in right position, yes but previouly I had a small collision on wall but after that I flew it normally even 100 meters on altitude. I am attaching the screen shot. I also try to rotate  the motor manually from my finger the front side of the motor creates more sound when it rotates as compare to the others.

Error Message

Error Message
2020-12-9
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I would look in the motors for any debris, hold upside down and tap the motor lightly to see if you can dislodge anything. After that I would work with DJI having them check it out for repair!
2020-12-9
Use props
DJIFan999
lvl.3
Pakistan

videoeditman Posted at 12-9 05:53
I would look in the motors for any debris, hold upside down and tap the motor lightly to see if you can dislodge anything. After that I would work with DJI having them check it out for repair!

Hi there I have already done this but still that cracking sounds come. But I have tested the Drone it is working I tried to rotate it , move left and right , up and down not showing any error for the mean time. But I didn’t took it to high altitude or move too far from my place.

Should I still worry ?
2020-12-9
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear your problem, maybe the crash you had inside your house has done more than it first appeared. Don't mess with it yourself, get it repaired professionally.
2020-12-9
Use props
spawacz_rider
lvl.2
Flight distance : 670594 ft
United Kingdom

Did you crash at home first time? Did you swap props after that crash?
2020-12-9
Use props
DJIFan999
lvl.3
Pakistan

spawacz_rider Posted at 12-9 08:32
Did you crash at home first time? Did you swap props after that crash?

Yes it collided slightly with my room
wall and fell on foam chair but after that first collision I flew it two or 3 times and it flew normally but yesterday I got this issue that I posted. No I have not change the propellers but the first propellers have slight scratches nothing more.
2020-12-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DJIFan999. I am sorry to know what happned to your DJI Mini 2 and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened and there was a crash that happened before on your DJI Mini 2 and you and know experiencing this issues. I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to check the said drone and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2020-12-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same issue with my second mini. It turned out to be tiny metal bits inside each front motor. Fortunately it happened at startup and not in the air. I took the worst motor apart to see the pieces and confirmed they were metal. I bought that drone used so it may have had a hard crash with the previous owner. The problem did not appear until several months later. I tried to remove all the debris and was mostly successful but I did not trust that more would not come loose. So I replaced both front arms and I now check all motors on all 5 drones every week.

It was nearly impossible to remove all the tiny metal pieces because they were held inside by the magnet.

2020-12-9
Use props
DaveN12345
New

United States

I bought my DJI Mavic Mini brand new and just unboxed it. I bought it last December but only now had the time to play with it. I took it to the park and one of the motor doesn't turn. Error message says Motor unable to rotate. Check motor (Code:30142)
2021-4-24
Use props
SolumShiaKo
New

United States

I also have a motor that feels crunchy to turn and wont turn at all the other direction. It happened after landing on a gravelly beach. Some hematite (Magnetic rock) is stuck on the magnets. Almost sand sized but that's all it takes to jam the motor since its so small itself. I'm using a staple to get them out, but because they are magnetic its difficult. I might try getting a 200lb pull strength magnet to try and suck it out magnetically but I have a feeling that wont work very well, but its worth a shot cuz otherwise I'm going to have to replace the motor (I think the motor comes with the whole arm but oh well).

( Just got out the big pieces now it spins ok both ways and I'm hoping the high rpm will knock the micro pieces out when flying or at the very least grind them to a dust which at first I was worried about accidentally grinding the coating off the wires but they have a metal buffer protecting them so should be ok for small amounts of small magnetic sand (not pure metal). Note I had to take out the three screws holding the motor in to even see and then remove the pieces but they need Loctite added when you put them back in. If your debris isn't magnetic or even if it is some high pressure air from a air compressor might do the trick.)

Hope that helps. I don't have a warrantee or anything and I'm electronically inclined/familiar with how it works so I opted to fix myself but do so at your own risk obviously.
2021-7-7
Use props
djiuser_tmFFJrPmFE1A
New

Bangladesh

Did it ever happened ever again?
2021-11-8
Use props
DJIFan999
lvl.3
Pakistan

djiuser_tmFFJrPmFE1A Posted at 11-8 07:51
Did it ever happened ever again?

Not really buddy everything works well.
2021-11-8
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

GaryDoug Posted at 2020-12-9 19:47
I had the same issue with my second mini. It turned out to be tiny metal bits inside each front motor. Fortunately it happened at startup and not in the air. I took the worst motor apart to see the pieces and confirmed they were metal. I bought that drone used so it may have had a hard crash with the previous owner. The problem did not appear until several months later. I tried to remove all the debris and was mostly successful but I did not trust that more would not come loose. So I replaced both front arms and I now check all motors on all 5 drones every week.

It was nearly impossible to remove all the tiny metal pieces because they were held inside by the magnet.

"It was nearly impossible to remove all the tiny metal pieces because they were held inside by the magnet."
Compressed air is the solution!
2021-11-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 11-8 08:02
"It was nearly impossible to remove all the tiny metal pieces because they were held inside by the magnet."
Compressed air is the solution!

I tried compressed air at 200 psi. NO luck. That is why I made that statement.
2021-11-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 11-8 19:39

You said "nearly" was there something that did get them all out then?
2021-11-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 11-8 20:00
You said "nearly" was there something that did get them all out then?

Yes, see this topic. But not really worth the effort except to find the problem and IMO an unreliable solution.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=224723
2021-11-8
Use props
billzilla2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70577 ft

United States

Hope it's OK to resurrect an old topic, but I had this same issue. It felt like the bearings or motor lubricant had gotten too stiff, the rotation was very sluggish and got the same error when trying to initialize. Canned air did not help. So I used some Deoxit, which is a plastics-safe electronic cleaner a lot of audiophiles use to clean old contacts and stuff with vintage stereo receivers (among a million other uses). Should have covered the rest of the drone because there was some splatter but after four or five squirts and about three minutes of manually rotating the motor, it freed up and flew fine.
2022-1-6
Use props
safepilot
New
Flight distance : 24104 ft
United States

billzilla2000 Posted at 1-6 14:50
Hope it's OK to resurrect an old topic, but I had this same issue. It felt like the bearings or motor lubricant had gotten too stiff, the rotation was very sluggish and got the same error when trying to initialize. Canned air did not help. So I used some Deoxit, which is a plastics-safe electronic cleaner a lot of audiophiles use to clean old contacts and stuff with vintage stereo receivers (among a million other uses). Should have covered the rest of the drone because there was some splatter but after four or five squirts and about three minutes of manually rotating the motor, it freed up and flew fine.

Hi billzilla2000, I want to buy this product, too. Do you have the specific reference of DeoxIT? There are different presentations for different purposes. Really appreciate it. Thanks!
2022-5-11
Use props
safepilot
New
Flight distance : 24104 ft
United States

I used WD40 Contact Cleaner in the US, worked like a charm. Used the thin injector, 2 pumps, and that was it. It started rotating again like nothing had happened.
2022-5-12
Use props
djiuser_CNEFlkajgoUX
New

United States

I JUST bought a mini 2 and right out the box I get an error that the motors don’t work and that I need to check it.
2022-8-2
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_CNEFlkajgoUX Posted at 8-2 18:48
I JUST bought a mini 2 and right out the box I get an error that the motors don’t work and that I need to check it.

Don't mess about  with it, return it forthwith!
2022-8-3
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

djiuser_CNEFlkajgoUX Posted at 8-2 18:48

I suggest not to waste your time and to return it immediately. A brand new Mini 2 is supposed to work perfectly out of the box.
2022-8-3
Use props
djiuser_CNEFlkajgoUX
New

United States

Just unpackaged my drone and I keep getting an error that I need to check my motors because they aren’t rotating.
2022-8-5
Use props
djiuser_cbP6rTaNd9bE
New
Australia

DaveN12345 Posted at 2021-4-24 19:22
I bought my DJI Mavic Mini brand new and just unboxed it. I bought it last December but only now had the time to play with it. I took it to the park and one of the motor doesn't turn. Error message says Motor unable to rotate. Check motor (Code:30142)

I had the exact same problem, just got out off the box and one motor doesnt work didnt even take off.
Whats the best way to go bout it?
2022-10-7
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

Just return it for repair. A motor not starting is a severe issue that must be fixed by the manufacturer.
2022-10-7
Use props
djiuser_10C3m8PTxXcG
New

Argentina

What is DJI doing? Same problem here. Unboxed and the motor won't rotate. Problem is that I bought in the US, and a friend brought to me in Argentina. So it was unboxed here and is not easy to return it for repair. Never ever buying a DJI product again. I started googling for this problem, and it's a common one. How can this happen? Not the service I was expecting at all. Very disappointed.
2022-11-9
Use props
GoAsFarAs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132579 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 2021-11-8 19:39

Try this
https://youtu.be/sfa_9fS3BVY
2022-11-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NO. Even if you remove the offending particle, there are likely more inside waiting to "finish" your drone at the worst possible time. For about $25, you can just replace the motor. Easy decision.
2022-11-25
Use props
djiuser_2ac2umMf12Gg
New

United States

Hello guys i have a DJI mini 2 and i barely use it. And after not using it for about 6 months i tried to do it today and i got one of the motors thats giving me an error saying unable to rotate i have only used this drone about 3 times since i got it i need help please.
2023-1-9
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1515965 ft
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 2020-12-9 05:53

Yeah ur right if he hit a wall or tree depends if he had motor covers on them  debri could of got in them from tree or wall it happened to me tooni vacumed mine out and boght some covers no problem now
2023-1-12
Use props
djiuser_P1Dh75uHgNxT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1515965 ft
United Kingdom

SolumShiaKo Posted at 2021-7-7 10:24
I also have a motor that feels crunchy to turn and wont turn at all the other direction. It happened after landing on a gravelly beach. Some hematite (Magnetic rock) is stuck on the magnets. Almost sand sized but that's all it takes to jam the motor since its so small itself. I'm using a staple to get them out, but because they are magnetic its difficult. I might try getting a 200lb pull strength magnet to try and suck it out magnetically but I have a feeling that wont work very well, but its worth a shot cuz otherwise I'm going to have to replace the motor (I think the motor comes with the whole arm but oh well).

( Just got out the big pieces now it spins ok both ways and I'm hoping the high rpm will knock the micro pieces out when flying or at the very least grind them to a dust which at first I was worried about accidentally grinding the coating off the wires but they have a metal buffer protecting them so should be ok for small amounts of small magnetic sand (not pure metal). Note I had to take out the three screws holding the motor in to even see and then remove the pieces but they need Loctite added when you put them back in. If your debris isn't magnetic or even if it is some high pressure air from a air compressor might do the trick.)

Buy some plastic motor covers they wieght less than 4 grrams dosent doesnt activate pay load  stops dust and debri getting into motors
2023-1-20
Use props
djiuser_qPlw0HGs4x17
New
United Kingdom

Hello,
I wonder if you still have these problems?

My drone from first use the motor is stiff and does not move smoothly.
Is there anything I could use to lubricate it?
2023-2-11
Use props
Cmoore806
New

United States

Similar sounding issue on my Mini 2SE after my son crashed his into an interior wall.  One motor felt “notchy” and would turn. The outer casing and the arm were maybe slightly off parallel. I pressed on the high side to level it out. This didn’t fix the notchiness. I noticed no debris interfering with stator movement. Therefore I removed the foam screw cover on the motor arm bottom and removed three screws and the propeller blades. Next I slowly rotated the motor while inspecting each magnet. I noticed one of the small square magnets was turned. I gently rotated the magnet in its location with a pair of tweezers until the correct color line was facing up. This was in line with the visible pattern in the other magnets which alternated red and blue or no stripe possibly. I put it all back together

Worked perfectly.  We have the care plan but this saved my son from being without his 24hr old drone for so long.
2-11 16:28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Cmoore806 Posted at 2-11 16:28
Similar sounding issue on my Mini 2SE after my son crashed his into an interior wall.  One motor felt “notchy” and would turn. The outer casing and the arm were maybe slightly off parallel. I pressed on the high side to level it out. This didn’t fix the notchiness. I noticed no debris interfering with stator movement. Therefore I removed the foam screw cover on the motor arm bottom and removed three screws and the propeller blades. Next I slowly rotated the motor while inspecting each magnet. I noticed one of the small square magnets was turned. I gently rotated the magnet in its location with a pair of tweezers until the correct color line was facing up. This was in line with the visible pattern in the other magnets which alternated red and blue or no stripe possibly. I put it all back together

Hello there. We are glad you managed to get your drone working again. To ensure flight safety and avoid further damage, it is suggested to send the drone back to DJI for inspection. You can submit a repair request on the DJI official website anytime or use this link https://repair.dji.com/. The warranty can be applied depending on the assessment's outcome, including your unit's warranty period. Have a nice day ahead.
2-11 19:54
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules