Mini 2 inflight recording issue (part 2)
1374 17 2020-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
keithtoo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40981 ft
United States

Hello again. I'm going to restart this topic to avoid confusion with hijackers on my original post.

Let's go through this again:

With a SanDisk 128 GB A1 card, while recording video in-flight I started experiencing video pixelation and smearing to the point where it was impossible to navigate. Turning off the recording restored the video feed to my phone, and when turning it back on again the feed appeared to be fine until I moved the drone or set the gimbal. A second test showed that the video became unusable at any altitude or distance from the controller, and relocating to an open space 5 miles away would seem to eliminate interference as the cause. This issue doesn't happen when taking still photos. It was suggested that the issue might be with the type of memory card in use (and that will teach me to look at the packaging more carefully).

I upgraded the memory (this time to the proper suggested type). I am now using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB V30 microSDXC UHS-I which sports the U3 and A2 logos (90MB/S write time). The test flight showed a drastic reduction in video degradation in 4K mode vs the A1 card, however lifting the gimbal so that there is sky above the horizon in the shot brings back the black 'ants' but this time only in the area above the horizon. Yawing or rolling the drone causes swirls and deeper degradation but tends to stop at the horizon. With the gimbal positioned downward, the feed is completely normal. (The weather here today is a beautiful 68 degrees with a cloudless sky.)

It was also suggested that I step back the video mode. There was no difference at 2.7k or at 1080p. When the memory card was removed, there was no degradation of the feed. Also, reducing the frame rate from 30 to 25 did not improve the problem.

I should probably mention that in every case (with the sub-standard memory, the upgraded memory, and no memory at all), the recorded video shows no sign of degradation.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there an even better memory card that I should be using (my DSLR is loving the additional upgrades)?

2020-12-11
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Check the adviced memory cards on the DJI website in the specs section

https://www.dji.com/mobile/mini-2/specs

Those are the ones compatible with the drone's requirements.

The ants are the parts that got too much light. You win't see that on the actual recordings. It is just an indication. In settings of the camera, you can switch it off.
2020-12-11
Use props
keithtoo
lvl.1
United States

JohnDG Posted at 12-11 15:39
Check the adviced memory cards on the DJI website in the specs section

https://www.dji.com/mobile/mini-2/specs

So in the first point, this memory card IS listed in the DJI website (which is why I took care to specify exactly what appears on the packaging and the label on the card itself).

In the second point, the striping that occurs when the sensor is overexposed appear as diagonal lines through the overexposed area of the shot which would also include brightly lit white objects which is what I was targeting in the distance below the horizon. And, AFAIK, that feature has to be turned on in order to give such a warning - it wasn't. Since I do other photography, I've gotten pretty good at spotting the potential of pinning the lights and darks, but I also use the histogram feature that had my color range completely in the middle at both ends. And then, the video itself doesn't show any sign of over- or underexposure.

In this particular shot today, the sun was about 60 degrees behind the camera and in a flawless blue sky. ISO at 100, with a -0.3 EV. The 'ants' persisted at every EV value and there's no way to get a darker light value without shortening the shutter speed. The 'ants' began in the middle of the blue sky and got progressively worse - appearing as tiny black dots at first and then ghosting. The thing is, if this was related to the sensor itself, I would expect the problem to be evident from launch. Turning off the recorder restores the view to what it should be.

I guess at this point I'll have to get in touch with DJI for a more in-depth evaluation. I was just checking to see that I wasn't doing something stupid (and it wouldn't be the first time) before I take that step.
2020-12-11
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you using a screen recorder? If so can you post a link to that video? It's hard to visualize what you are saying....at least for me ;-)

Also, you may be expecting too much of the local display. I certainly see flaws or even instability in mine at times, but I don't care too much as long as I can still see where the drone is going.

Pardon me if this has been reported before...but what phone/tablet device are you using?

2020-12-11
Use props
keithtoo
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-11 20:30
Are you using a screen recorder? If so can you post a link to that video? It's hard to visualize what you are saying....at least for me ;-)

Also, you may be expecting too much of the local display. I certainly see flaws or even instability in mine at times, but I don't care too much as long as I can still see where the drone is going.

I haven't had a chance yet to find a screen recorder, but it's on my to-do list. Do you have an Android recommendation?

This is a device that's transmitting over the air - even if it is Occusync. I expect the occasional glitch and video shredding - especially in areas with a lot of interference. The power meter has been showing random trips into the yellow a few times - again, this isn't unexpected. But it seems to me that once those conditions changed, the video feed would also clear up.

I'm using a Samsung S20+ phone right now. And that's something else I need to rule out - I'll commandeer my wife's iPhone and see if that might be the issue when I take it out later.
2020-12-12
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

keithtoo Posted at 12-11 19:00
So in the first point, this memory card IS listed in the DJI website (which is why I took care to specify exactly what appears on the packaging and the label on the card itself).

In the second point, the striping that occurs when the sensor is overexposed appear as diagonal lines through the overexposed area of the shot which would also include brightly lit white objects which is what I was targeting in the distance below the horizon. And, AFAIK, that feature has to be turned on in order to give such a warning - it wasn't. Since I do other photography, I've gotten pretty good at spotting the potential of pinning the lights and darks, but I also use the histogram feature that had my color range completely in the middle at both ends. And then, the video itself doesn't show any sign of over- or underexposure.

as I understand it good, the "ant" distortion is not on the recorded video, only on what is transmitted to your smartphone.
You can try to put your phone in flight mode, to exclude any interferance from your phone radio's (WiFi, bluetooth, mobile data).
I am using a S20 Fe 5G, but didn't any of those problems.
And as you use a recomended sd card, I would rule out the card as well.
Get in touch with DJI if the problem stays on.
2020-12-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

keithtoo Posted at 12-12 02:18
I haven't had a chance yet to find a screen recorder, but it's on my to-do list. Do you have an Android recommendation?

This is a device that's transmitting over the air - even if it is Occusync. I expect the occasional glitch and video shredding - especially in areas with a lot of interference. The power meter has been showing random trips into the yellow a few times - again, this isn't unexpected. But it seems to me that once those conditions changed, the video feed would also clear up.

I use this one: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... ;hl=en_US&gl=US
2020-12-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-12 06:41
I use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.screenrecorder.free&hl=en_US&gl=US

This is a great App.  GaryDoug recommended it to me and I've been using it now for over a month and it performs admirably.  
2020-12-12
Use props
whiteghost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1479705 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

Not a pro, but if video recorded is Not showing any pixilation or degradation? This rules out the card surely, the fact that it appears while recording shows
the interference is there while recording over the signal not actually what the camera records?
Interference can be external but if signal is clear while not recording this eliminates
an external source? Because the picture received to your phone is clear.

So that leaves the drone itself ? If it only happens while the camera is recording surely this points to the drone?

2020-12-12
Use props
keithtoo
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 12-12 06:41
I use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.screenrecorder.free&hl=en_US&gl=US

Thanks for that - Just finished installing it.
2020-12-12
Use props
keithtoo
lvl.1
United States

JohnDG Posted at 12-12 05:12
as I understand it good, the "ant" distortion is not on the recorded video, only on what is transmitted to your smartphone.
You can try to put your phone in flight mode, to exclude any interferance from your phone radio's (WiFi, bluetooth, mobile data).
I am using a S20 Fe 5G, but didn't any of those problems.

Interesting point. The phone itself could be interfering with the return signal, maybe...

I'll try to do what I can to eliminate it as the source - maybe put the Fly app on my tablet and give that a go. To be honest, it doesn't seem logical for that to be the issue because when I pop the SD card out and record in "naked" mode, I don't have this problem at all.
2020-12-12
Use props
keithtoo
lvl.1
United States

whiteghost Posted at 12-12 08:24
Hi

Not a pro, but if video recorded is Not showing any pixilation or degradation? This rules out the card surely, the fact that it appears while recording shows

Yes and no. The problem was MUCH worse when I tried to use an A1 SD card - there, the degradation swallowed the entire screen making FPV totally unusable (not to mention unsafe). The symptoms were greatly improved, by contrast, when I put in an A2 card but didn't clear it up completely. So evidently the memory card itself could be the cause. What DOES clear the problem is taking the SD card out completely - but then I lose the HD capabilities.

What's completely baffling to me is that no matter which card I use, and even if I don't use one at all, the recorded video is clear and free of any of the in-flight defects. That would suggest that the in-flight video stream is not the same as the data being streamed to memory (phone or SD).
2020-12-12
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

keithtoo Posted at 12-12 10:38
Yes and no. The problem was MUCH worse when I tried to use an A1 SD card - there, the degradation swallowed the entire screen making FPV totally unusable (not to mention unsafe). The symptoms were greatly improved, by contrast, when I put in an A2 card but didn't clear it up completely. So evidently the memory card itself could be the cause. What DOES clear the problem is taking the SD card out completely - but then I lose the HD capabilities.

What's completely baffling to me is that no matter which card I use, and even if I don't use one at all, the recorded video is clear and free of any of the in-flight defects. That would suggest that the in-flight video stream is not the same as the data being streamed to memory (phone or SD).

or for some reason, the processor is occupied much more when you are recording video.
I presume you format your sd cards on the drone itself?
I was thinking the circuit that stands for recording to the sd card has some problems and slows down the processing. Or something with the buffer memory that can't follow the 4k video stream.
2020-12-12
Use props
keithtoo
lvl.1
United States

JohnDG Posted at 12-12 15:14
or for some reason, the processor is occupied much more when you are recording video.
I presume you format your sd cards on the drone itself?
I was thinking the circuit that stands for recording to the sd card has some problems and slows down the processing. Or something with the buffer memory that can't follow the 4k video stream.

Recording to the SD is awesome - no problems in any recording mode, and the image is crisp and responsive. I've tried this with the formatting exactly as it came out of the package, formatting on my computer (exFAT) and formatting in the drone - the results are the same.

Poking around in my phone gallery I was surprised to see that the phone captures the video feed exactly as I see it in flight. Let's see if I can post it here...
[edit] Guess this forum doesn't handle mp4 uploads? Any way to overcome this limitation?

2020-12-13
Use props
keithtoo
lvl.1
United States

Let's try it like this - this is a frame from the video showing what's on my screen as I'm flying.

2020-12-13
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

keithtoo Posted at 12-13 11:06
Let's try it like this - this is a frame from the video showing what's on my screen as I'm flying.

[view_image]

that really looks like an impressionist painting.
It looks like a real bad connection or disturbance by WiFi.
You better check with DJI, if you only get this when you record video.
Quite a bit of distortion in the signal.
2020-12-13
Use props
keithtoo
lvl.1
United States

JohnDG Posted at 12-13 17:17
that really looks like an impressionist painting.
It looks like a real bad connection or disturbance by WiFi.
You better check with DJI, if you only get this when you record video.

Yep - Sure is pretty, and that's early on. It actually gets even more abstract. That happens when moving. If I set up a shot while holding a stationary hover and then hit record, I get an almost decent feed. Wind gusts drive it crazy though and it doesn't take long to have a shot that Van Gogh would admire.

Sent in a ticket already. DJI reps have the nerve to take the weekends off...
2020-12-13
Use props
djiuser_aYvryHauw5bq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96657 ft
United States

Has this issue been resolved??
I just replaced my (lost in a stream) original mini with this mini 2.
I'm having the same issues. I'm using a SanDisk extreme u3 rating, both a Samsung S22 and 5th generation iPad mini. I can be 5feet from the front in an open field and this will happen. All video settings to lowest possible rez etc...

I've been in about 5 locations now a minimum of 10 miles apart, same issue using either device. It SEEMS this happens when I'm recording and rotate quickly. I have to stop recording and then start again and all is cleared up. The footage on the SD vard is just fine.

I just purchased from Best Buy. So I can still return/exchange...is that worth it? Or did anyone find a simple fix?

2022-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules