Battery Activation Issues - Charging Hub
9098 17 2020-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI_37166
lvl.1

United States

Bought the Mini 2 Fly More Combo with the 3 batteries and charging hub. Long story short my brand new Mini 2 has never even powered on due to failed battery activiation. When the drone arrived I placed the 3 batteries in the changing hub and let them "charge" thinking that was kinda the way things should proceed, pretty sure there is a major design flaw here, or maybe more like a flaw in the packaging in regards to warning labels.
So I am thinking based on some Internet research that if you take the brand new batteries, which are in a hibernation state, and do their intial charging in the Charging Hub the following will/may happen:
A) the battery will not "activate" via the hub

B) the battery will enter a non-servicable state and must be returned to DJI

additional tid-bits:
For new battery activation these batteries must have their initial charge completed via the drone itself.
There is no warning labels or documentation of any sort that make this information known in the packaging that I was able to locate.

I have reached out to DJI Support to see what the next steps are but was wondering if any others have experienced this?

Thanks!

Video on another DJI drone that explains my issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGEf6j-FbhY&feature=emb_title

2020-12-14
Use props
DJI_37166
lvl.1

United States

Update: Starting to not really think DJI has their customer's best interest at heart here. I called DJI Support and the support person was about as knowledgeable on the Mini 2 as my 10 year old. Anyways, they actually told me I'd have better luck dealing with Amazon than waiting on DJI. Wow, just WOW!
2020-12-14
Use props
djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Funny, I, and most likely thousands of other Mini 2 owners have not experienced anything like the issue you have mentioned. And NO, charging the new batteries in the hub whilst in a "hibernation" state did not cause any problems for me. I did not do any initial charge for the batteries via the drone iitself, so what you suggest doing there is completely false and ridiculous.

Are you sure YOUR issue is not related to user error.

2020-12-14
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

First thing I did when I got my Mini 2 was plug the hub with the 3 batteries into the power socket, then patiently wait for the first battery to finish charging.  Popped the newly charged battery into the drone, was prompted to update firmware and all was good, the two other batteries prompted firmware updates when they were plugged into the drone.  I’ve never charged a battery via the drone, sounds like absolute rubbish to me.
2020-12-14
Use props
DJI_37166
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ Posted at 12-14 12:40
Funny, I, and most likely thousands of other Mini 2 owners have not experienced anything like the issue you have mentioned. And NO, charging the new batteries in the hub whilst in a "hibernation" state did not cause any problems for me. I did not do any initial charge for the batteries via the drone iitself, so what you suggest doing there is completely false and ridiculous.

Trust me I was the first to assume it was my misunderstanding of some type and given my trade (many various I.T. support and engineering roles for 20+ years) I spent quite awhile on the ole interwebs making sure I wasn't missing something. I mean the batteries do EXACTLY the same thing as what that linked video shows. Press the battery status and thay all show 4 bars. Press the power button on the drone once, the 4 bars light up, press again and nothing happens. I have tried many various "timings" of pushes, lol...

The remote and app have all be problem free, just the drone WILL NOT power on.
I don't think I am the only DJI owner to experience similar issues...

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&ei=CtLXX9veOs2ZsAe95LCIBQ&q=battery+in+hibernation+mode&oq=battery+in+hib&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgAMgkIABDJAxAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIICAAQFhAKEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMggIABAWEAoQHjoOCC4QsQMQxwEQowIQkwI6AggAOggILhCxAxCDAToFCAAQsQM6CwguELEDEMcBEKMCOggIABCxAxCDAToCCC46CAguELEDEJMCOggILhDHARCvAToFCAAQyQM6EQguELEDEIMBEMcBEKMCEJMCOg4ILhCxAxCDARDHARCjAjoICC4QxwEQowI6BQguELEDOgUIABCSAzoLCC4QsQMQxwEQrwFQ4xlY4ZcBYN6kAWgBcAB4BIABtwmIAelBkgENMC4xMy4xMy4yLjctMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXqwAQA&sclient=psy-ab
2020-12-14
Use props
DJI_37166
lvl.1

United States

TDZHDTV Posted at 12-14 12:49
First thing I did when I got my Mini 2 was plug the hub with the 3 batteries into the power socket, then patiently wait for the first battery to finish charging.  Popped the newly charged battery into the drone, was prompted to update firmware and all was good, the two other batteries prompted firmware updates when they were plugged into the drone.  I’ve never charged a battery via the drone, sounds like absolute rubbish to me.

Yeah it all sounds crazy to me as well. After seeing the video (that was linked above) and then talking with the support person who did confirm the batteries need to change via the drone first.
2020-12-14
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

I've been charging the 3 batteries with the hub since day one and they've been working fine, I didn't even tried to charge them with the drone yet (after 100 flights or so XD).

You just need to update the firmware the frist time you put them inside and connect the controller and the phone to the Mini 2. It'll prompt a message to update the firmware, that's all.
2020-12-14
Use props
DJI_37166
lvl.1

United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-14 14:02
I've been charging the 3 batteries with the hub since day one and they've been working fine, I didn't even tried to charge them with the drone yet (after 100 flights or so XD).

You just need to update the firmware the frist time you put them inside and connect the controller and the phone to the Mini 2. It'll prompt a message to update the firmware, that's all.

Agree if the Drone would power on in any way possible I would. Unfortunately it will not respond at all aside from one push on the power button will illuminate the battery charge lights and that is all. Plugging into a PC the Drone will not respond, the PC does not have any indication a device has been plugged in.

At this point I am more thinking the Drone is DOA rather than battery issues. As an additional test I used the charging HUB as a power bank to "test" charge my iPhone and sure enough it seems to charge a device just fine.

Appreciate the replies!
2020-12-14
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So did you try to charge through the drone?
Curious because I have a M2 coming my way.
Thanks
You say the drone won't connect to the computer or not recognized, I don't believe it will unless the drone is powered but I could be mistaken.
I read your posts several times but that doesn't mean it's not there but I didn't see that you tried through the drone, just curious.
2020-12-14
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Got a question for you: how do you power up your drone?

press shortly, release and quickly after you released press and hold a few seconds.
2020-12-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, DJI_37166. Thanks for reaching out and sorry to read about your experience. To ensure transportation safety, DJI Mini 2 flight batteries are set to Hibernation mode before shipping. To wake them up, simply connect the aircraft with the battery charger to activate the battery and begin using it. You can refer to the  DJI Mini 2 User Manual v1.0 about this information.

2020-12-14
Use props
DJI_37166
lvl.1

United States

JohnDG Posted at 12-14 15:16
Got a question for you: how do you power up your drone?

press shortly, release and quickly after you released press and hold a few seconds.

Well as embarrassing as this it to admit, it was USER IGNORANCE all along. ouch....

So... to put it plainly I made an assumption when the manual explains exactly what button does what. I was pressing the "wrong" button. Geezs this is painful to admit, the button I was pressing was the "aircraft status indicator", which if there is any defense it is a button and when you press it the battery status lights do come on -- kinda sneaky there when you are someone like me... I have pressed the actual "Power Button" once many times but never the press 1 then press hold. I accidentially did that this morning and I'll be the sucker started making all kinds of noises and movements.

So thanks in advance for being gentle with me here.
2020-12-15
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

DJI_37166 Posted at 12-15 04:48
Well as embarrassing as this it to admit, it was USER IGNORANCE all along. ouch....

So... to put it plainly I made an assumption when the manual explains exactly what button does what. I was pressing the "wrong" button. Geezs this is painful to admit, the button I was pressing was the "aircraft status indicator", which if there is any defense it is a button and when you press it the battery status lights do come on -- kinda sneaky there when you are someone like me... I have pressed the actual "ower Button" once many times but never the press 1 then press hold. I accidentially did that this morning and I'll be the sucker started making all kinds of noises and movements.

You are welcome.

That's why the forum is for, ... to help each other.
We all have started somewhere, didn't we?
2020-12-15
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

All’s well that ends well
2020-12-15
Use props
The General
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13609 ft
United States

DJI_37166 Posted at 12-15 04:48

So... to put it plainly I made an assumption when the manual explains exactly what button does what. I was pressing the "wrong" button. Geezs this is painful to admit, the button I was pressing was the "aircraft status indicator", which if there is any defense it is a button and when you press it the battery status lights do come on -- kinda sneaky there when you are someone like me... I have pressed the actual "Power Button" once many times but never the press 1 then press hold. I accidentially did that this morning and I'll be the sucker started making all kinds of noises and movements.

Haha, wow! That's quite an update for us!!!! You've made me paranoid, so I've decided to go ahead and just charge them all through the drone the first time (to be fair, the starter's manual does in fact show to charge it via the drone in the beginner's guide part).

That said, when I turned it on for the first time with the first battery, I did see a notification to update the battery's firmware. However, instead of tapping that notification, I went ahead and tapped the drone firmware update notification, and after it did 2 updates for the drone, the battery notification never popped up again.

Is that fine? (Asking everyone, not just the guy who's been pressing the wrong button for a week, lol.)

And thanks again, 37166, for coming back to give us a proper update! That's a pretty painful update to admit!

P.S. I got a Mavic Mini for Christmas, but after watching a bazillion YouTube videos and reading these forums, it seemed well worth the upgrade to the Mini 2 Fly More Combo. Just need to return the Mavic Mini and try to get my money back for the Care Refresh I purchased for it.
2020-12-30
Use props
djiuser_w0f5oDwILmNc
New

Australia

djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ Posted at 2020-12-14 12:40

Not user error just faulty products. I have had the same issue and if you read the forums it is a known issue that effects upto 1 in 3 new batteries. Really frustration when you spend that much money and it doesn't work!
2021-12-25
Use props
djiuser_bdRaCAZnwlyT
New
Flight distance : 198747 ft
Indonesia

My dji mini 2 battery needs to be connected to power for brief time before using drone ( requires activation before every flight)
Otherwise no button will respond. Rest battery works well. Anyone facing similar issue.
2022-6-26
Use props
djiuser_KOdpoARPcYjY
New

Canada

Lisa3 Posted at 2020-12-14 14:55
So did you try to charge through the drone?
Curious because I have a M2 coming my way.
Thanks

You have to have battery in drone to connect to PC.  Kind of a pain that I have to open the propellers in order to turn on the drone and transfer data so I bought a SD card USB hub so I can take out the SD card from the drone and transfer the data.   
2023-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules