Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Keeping Gimbal Brace On?
2356 14 2015-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sstriano
lvl.1

United States

Might seem like a silly question, but do you guys keep the gimbal brace/protector on at all times when not in use?

Like should I have it on if it is just sitting on a shelve at home waiting for me to fly it?
2015-6-30
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

Nope, I don't. For one thing, I'd be worried I forget to remove it and turn on the Phantom with it on. Not that it would likely break it - but it wouldn't be a healthy thing to do.

When transporting it (in a case or in the box it came in), it might be a good idea to use the gimbal brace/protector.
2015-6-30
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only attach mine when I know there is a chance that my Phantom could be moved around (e.g. carrying it in the case).

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-30
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

If you leave it on, the gimbal is less likely to be damaged when one of your friends picks up the Phantom and starts playing with it.

The biggest problem I had with the guard is/was that it kept falling off. Now I use a piece of velcro around the guard and gimbal. The fit of the guard on my P3P is pretty bad as you have to push hard for it to fit into the slot. The foam rubber piece should also stay in place until you go flying.
2015-6-30
Use props
sstriano
lvl.1

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-1 04:48
If you leave it on, the gimbal is less likely to be damaged when one of your friends picks up the Ph ...

I don't have any friends... LOL!! J/K

I have four boys and they love it but they know not to touch it unless Dad is home
2015-6-30
Use props
sstriano
lvl.1

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-1 04:47
I only attach mine when I know there is a chance that my Phantom could be moved around (e.g. carryin ...

Do you think that after market gimbal brace by killer rc is worth it?
2015-6-30
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

sstriano Posted at 2015-7-1 05:11

I honestly haven't looked at any of the aftermarket braces. The only item I've looked at was a combo lens cover brace. Didn't go any further than that.

Besides the Gimbal being a bit fragile, keep a watch on the flat cables as they are easily damaged. I think replacement cost is around $45.

Better safe than sorry.
2015-6-30
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is used for an entirely different purpose. It's supposed to keep the gimbal from separating if you happen to get into a major crash -- and, thus prevent the gimbal ribbon cable from snapping.

Is it worth it? I think it's a clever idea. But, you're probably going to have bigger problems than a snapped ribbon cable if you get into a crash like that.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-6-30
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

You should always protect your gimbal and camera when not flying and most important when transporting. Just get a remove before flight keychain, that way you won't forget it's on b4 you fly. Seeing the big red flag when you go to power it on will remind you to "Remove Before Flight"
-Dog

Remove before flight keychain

Remove before flight keychain
2015-6-30
Use props
editfx
lvl.1

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-7-1 04:45
Nope, I don't. For one thing, I'd be worried I forget to remove it and turn on the Phantom with it o ...

I have forgotten to remove the brace several times when starting the phantom and I can't notice any damage being done.  However, I do try not to forget.  I just can't seem to remember that calibration it does when first turned on and many times I am just turning it inside the house to check something.

Hopefully over time I can train myself.  But perhaps I should leave it off when it is just sitting at home, I fear I'm doing more damage to it by always having it on and then forgetting to remove it.
2015-6-30
Use props
giant
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

I leave it on all the time that the drone is not in use. I made it a habit so I never forgot it. I think it's a fragile thing, this gimbal so it's better to protect it.
2015-7-1
Use props
Cacc
lvl.4

Canada

I have a rubber 3D printed one that I keep on all the time. I hated how the stock one fell off all the time in both my hard case and my backpack, so I decided to spend a few bucks to get a piece of rubber to hold it in place all the time.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251976929619
2015-7-1
Use props
dlongcamp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I put one on mine, hopefully I won't ever need it.  I thought it might be a good thing to have if I encounter a bird strike.  
2015-7-1
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

i dont use the clamp because all P2s with H3-2D,3D etc.. had no clamp as well and its really not needed. Only when you travel with your phantom or maybe have a backpack and walk around with it. In my case i have the backpack only to center the Phantom on the rear seats of my car, it will always stay level and is not moving around.
2015-7-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The clear plastic guard that came packaged with the gimbal, is rather flimsy, when not put on the
Phantom correctly. Once you have it lined up straight, give it an extra squeeze, to lock it in place.
I was very disappointed, in that it seemed to just fall off. But if you put it in correctly it stays put.
I watched a video, and the fellow showed how you give it that little extra squeeze once it's in place, and mine stays on just fine now.
Where before, it simply would fall off, even if you looked at it...

I would like to apply something more substantial though. Still looking.

RedHotPoker
2015-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules