Looking to start flying in Atti mode on Phantom 3
16363 30 2015-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Krafty
lvl.1

Singapore

I have about 15 flights under my belt after starting fresh and am looking to practice flying in Atti mode to improve my flying. I have read the manual inside out and am planning on taking it out tomorrow to give it a shot. Is there any advice that anyone can give me? Stuff to watch out for? Anything that the very brief P3 manual might not have mentioned? Even the steps in preparation for take off. Been unable to find anything else on here, sorry if I have started a repeat thread. Cheers
2015-6-30
Use props
tcchow.g.m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9647812 ft
Hong Kong

I would start at a open area no buildings, trees or houses. Firstly hold it in posistion when it is in ATTI mode (with the battery pointing at you) when you are comfort with that then is to try the Phantom pointing at you ( and so on left/right side) until you are sure what you are doing . Then Plan and draw a line on the map ( before take off ) and form point to point to fly.
2015-6-30
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure you have Multiple Flight Mode enabled in the DJI Pilot application -- and, stay above the trees and any other obstacles until you get a feel for flying in ATTI

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-6-30
Use props
przemek
lvl.2
Poland

- don't turn your eyes from phantom, even for a little moment, because in ATTI there is no position lock, and while you are watching in other direction (or on your tablet/phone) wind can push your drone into obstacle
- there is no "automatic brake" in ATTI, when you put controls in center position your phantom will continue to fly in last direction. in order to stop it you have to put some movement in reverse direction.
2015-7-1
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

You can lose altitude while going real fast in atti mode. Keep your eye on the vertical height.  I found out the hard way by clipping the top of a tree with my phantom 1 in atti mode.i haven't tried atti mode on my P3 so it may not be true for the P3 but just wanted to give you a heads up just in case.
2015-7-6
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

IMO there really is no reason to fly atti with the P3.  If you just want to have the feeling of more control and zooming around then go buy a syma and zip around care free.
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-7 09:54
IMO there really is not reason to fly atti with the P3.  If you just want to have the feeling of mor ...

Ah yes there is.  You significantly stop the risk of a flyaway.  No GPS, no flyaway.   It performs faster.  Most experienced flyers run atti mode because of the flyaway issues.   Then shift to GPS as needed.  

2015-7-6
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-7 10:02
Ah yes there is.  You significantly stop the risk of a flyaway.  No GPS, no flyaway.   It performs ...

None of that makes any sense.  You make it out like its a burden and danger to use the technology of the drone.  The technology of these drones is what you pay for.  Not to mention the flyaway comments are ridiculous.  You act like they happen to everyone, everyday and that it's fact.  The few flyaway reports I have seen on here (mind you out of the thousands of P3's that have been sold) seem more like pilot error than the dreaded and highly faulty GPS flyaway you so matter of factly put it.  The ONLY thing I have heard people say is better in atti mode is a slightly smoother video (and I mean very slight, because I have seen comparison videos and I can't really tell).  Plus most people's post I have read on here lean more towards the IMU or compass than the GPS for their flyaways.  
2015-7-6
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

What happen if your loose your RC signal or LOS on the P3?

Can you still RTH ? no GPS right ?  Home Point is also not recorded ...

I think its more dangerous it will happen than the FLYAWAYS...
2015-7-6
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-7 10:17

Can you still RTH ? no GPS right ?  Home ...

No you can not RTH.  Turning GPS off is not smart.  I would not listen to that highly experienced pilot.
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-7 10:06
None of that makes any sense.  You make it out like its a burden and danger to use the technology o ...

Brother. A flyaway will happen.   After 115 flights it happened to me.   What saved me is that I knew how to fly atti mode.   I immediately switched to atti mode, gained control and saved it.  Had I not, it would of crashed for sure.   Having experience to fly that mode will save you.   The technology isn't perfect.   I did the calibration and mod value shifted on my third flight.  But it's up to you.  Keep it as a safety line if you want.  Better know how to fly atti though.  Don't say you were not informed
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-7 10:17

Can you still RTH ? no GPS right ?  Home ...

Atti mode shifts to GPS mode and returns to home in that case.(LOS)   You won't loose it and you should always record home point
2015-7-6
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-7 10:22
Brother. A flyaway will happen.   After 115 flights it happened to me.   What saved me is that I k ...

Well knowing how to fly in atti mode and not using your GPS at all is two different things.  I completely agree things happen and that a good pilot should know how to fly manually.  But using GPS is far safer than not.
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Well my comments were in rebuttal to no reason to fly atti mode.   I often fly GPS, but I also fly atti mode.  It's no big deal.  I have Heli experience and there is no GPS mode.  It's not difficult but if you have to think about flying, you will crash.  If you practice atti mode, it will become second nature and like typing without looking at the keys.  In a fast paced recovery, you need to have your actions to be quick.  You don't have time to think. Learn atti mode if the phantom or inspire doesn't respond.  People get into trouble when all the sudden there's GPS loss and they can't control the bird quickly.  Especially if it strays towards people or property.       There are other facets than user error for GPS signal loss.    Metal objects, power lines, ionic atmospheric conditions.   Don't get caught not knowing manual flight.  Also knowing manual fight will make you a better GPS flyer.
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-7 10:19
No you can not RTH.  Turning GPS off is not smart.  I would not listen to that highly experienced p ...

Not true.  I've lost signal under atti mode.  The phantom knows when signal is lost and returns on its own. Using GPS.   There's manual over ride
Evidently you haven't experienced this.  But how could you if you never get out of GPS mode.  You can verify what I'm saying is true.  And I am an experienced pilot.  Ever fly Flybarless helis in a 550 class or any class for that matter?
2015-7-6
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

OK... I agree... one must at least learn to fly ATTI mode, when GPS lost....

In ATTI mode (switch A), you must have 100% LOS all the time ... if you lost LOS, can you switch to P mode and RTH ?

How you record your Home Point ?  Is it Mode P first and wait for Home Recorded... and fly then switch to A mode via switch,,,, then you have RTH if ever you lost LOS ?
2015-7-6
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Watch out for wind! :-)

Basically it is a good idea to test ATTI-mode in calm/no wind so you are not surprised by the wind carrying it away.

Also, remember that it does NOT stop by itself when in ATTI-mode. It will "glide" on.

It can be a lot of fun!
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-7 10:44
OK... I agree... one must at least learn to fly ATTI mode, when GPS lost....

In ATTI mode (switch A ...

Record home point while it's on the ground.  I normall pull up the map and verify or hit the cross hair symbol.  Home point gets recorded.   I fly over farm land.  I don't always have LOS.  You still have FPV in ATTI mode and if you loose signal, RTH will be automatic.  The phantom shifts to RTH mode and overrides atti mode. It will stay in RTH (GPS) until you cancel it.
I take off in P mode. Raise altitude, shift to atti.  So yes, p mode will get you home point. I often shift back to GPS mode right before landing because I hand catch.
2015-7-6
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-7 10:22
Brother. A flyaway will happen.   After 115 flights it happened to me.   What saved me is that I k ...

It has happened to me multiple times (starts to go away with no control, I flip to ATTI and I have it back). Not sure why or when it will happen, but it does. I also like the way I can drift (by wind) by stuff I am filming.
I would like to know why it sometimes goes out of Multiple Flight Mode and I have to go in and enable it. That part is weird.
2015-7-6
Use props
przemek
lvl.2
Poland

solar flares interferes with GPS signal, strong solar activity can cause flyaway.
in this case switching to atti is the best possible solution (do not trust blindly to RTH as it still depends on GPS)
2015-7-7
Use props
sasinke
lvl.2

Israel

przemek Posted at 2015-7-7 18:45
solar flares interferes with GPS signal, strong solar activity can cause flyaway.
in this case switc ...

how do I change to atti mode? and how do i bring the phantom back to gps?

2015-7-7
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

The only difference is the p3 doesn't hold position when you let go of the sticks, it shouldn't be that hard to manually, with that being the only difference there really shouldn't be any issues, move the sticks how you need to move them to keep the p3 where you want it to sit, your already moving the sticks to have the p3 go where you want it to, so I really don't see much of a difference between gps and attitude modes
2015-7-7
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-7-8 00:07
The only difference is the p3 doesn't hold position when you let go of the sticks, it shouldn't be t ...

Under normal circumstances, atti mode holds altitude only.   When GPS is enabled, it will hold altitude and position.   If there is a GPS malfunction, then you would need to make do with atti mode, land and re-calibrate or check MOD value....should be at ~1500
2015-7-7
Use props
przemek
lvl.2
Poland

sasinke@hotmail Posted at 2015-7-7 23:18
how do I change to atti mode? and how do i bring the phantom back to gps?

by using switch located on the top left side of your controller.
this is 3-way switch with description P-A-F.
P means GPS
A means ATTI
F means Course Lock (and other possibilites in future)
2015-7-7
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-7 10:02
Ah yes there is.  You significantly stop the risk of a flyaway.  No GPS, no flyaway.   It performs ...

We really have not heard about a single flyaway incident with a Phantom 3 on this forum yet.  I am hoping the days of flyaways are over.  (He says wishfully.)

But I consider learning to fly in Atti mode is a MUST.  If you came from flying helicopters with absolutely NO GPS to flying a Phantom... It's not very challenging to fly a Phantom in Atti mode.  But you have to realize it's difficult or impossible to fly in atti mode when the quad is outside visual range.  (Or the lightbridge fails.)  Atti mode should be practiced when the quad is close enough to watch it and understand the orientation.

2015-7-7
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

It not difficult to fly out of visual range.  I do it all the time when in ATTI mode.    It's the same premise. ,it's actually easier than in visual range because FPV gives you constant consistent orientation.  Flyaway days are not over unless you can rule out any sort of outside interference.  Those already listed.  Atti mode in FPV is like flying an actual plane.  Try it in a simulator like Phoenix. You can do FPV and it's a lot easier than visual
I've flown the inspire. It uses the same lightbridge as the phantom.  People are experiencing fly aways all the time.  Go over to that part of the forum and see.

If lightbridge fails, you no longer can fly in atti mode.  It will go into RTH mode and return under GPS until cancelled.  

You guys really need to know what the limitations of the phantom are and what it will do in ATTI mode.  So many misunderstandings.  Go fly it and try it

Atti mode also flys faster in both the inspire and phantom and is valuable in high tailing it home when battery starts to decrease.  Gets you home faster
2015-7-7
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

There have been 3 or 4 fly aways in the past 45 days post to this forum and a few accidents dji ruled to pee doing csc while flying cuz they panicked. And the. They complain how csc shouldn't be allowed in flight..  idiots..
2015-7-9
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-8 06:56
It not difficult to fly out of visual range.  I do it all the time when in ATTI mode.    It's the sa ...

"Atti mode in FPV is like flying an actual plane"
I´m a pilot and i can´t  recognize that
2015-7-10
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

020667@gmail.co Posted at 2015-7-10 18:33
"Atti mode in FPV is like flying an actual plane"
I´m a pilot and i can´t  recognize that

Do you fly your plane using only your fingers?  If so,   WOW,
2015-7-10