lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

...we lucky Litchi is around.
2020-12-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, fans1cafe718. Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to know more about your concern. If you could kindly, please provide us further details about it so we can have it check. Looking forward to your response.
2020-12-23
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-23 03:45
Hi, fans1cafe718. Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to know more about your concern. If you could kindly, please provide us further details about it so we can have it check. Looking forward to your response.

...concern?

You peeps keep bragging not to use 3rd party apps.

CONCERN?

Why doesn't DJI update Fly app or firmware for the Mini 1 (ONE) anymore?

....yes, go ahead and "have a check"

...lol, am NOT holding my breath
2020-12-23
Use props
EHEA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 363960 ft
Germany

I'm not sure I follow the logic behind the complaints about "no updates". To me it looks like the tech industry has finally succeeded to convince us consumers that there is no need to bring out products that work out-of-the-box because anything that isn't working quite right will eventually be fixed in a series of updates long after you gave them your hard earned money (a loan for future work), along with new features that should have been there all along. So consumers have been conditioned that updates are a super good thing and hence the absence of updates is a bad thing.
Well, maybe no updates is just an indication that finally you have a mature product?

There are exceptions: bugs need to be fixed, of course. But then the complaint should be more specific and focused, like "fix this bug" not "there are no updates".

As for new features, one should recognize that DJI has made an SDK for the MM available to third party developers so this enables them to develop apps like Litchi. That is not something DJI is required to do, it is their decision whether to open up the APIs to the aircraft and controller. So yes, I'm very happy about Litchi, but in all fairness part of the credit has to go to DJI even for that because of the SDK.

Just my 2 EUR-cents
HB
2020-12-23
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

EHEA Posted at 12-23 05:34
I'm not sure I follow the logic behind the complaints about "no updates". To me it looks like the tech industry has finally succeeded to convince us consumers that there is no need to bring out products that work out-of-the-box because anything that isn't working quite right will eventually be fixed in a series of updates long after you gave them your hard earned money (a loan for future work), along with new features that should have been there all along. So consumers have been conditioned that updates are a super good thing and hence the absence of updates is a bad thing.
Well, maybe no updates is just an indication that finally you have a mature product?

very good statement!
2020-12-23
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

What specific problems do you want an update to address?
2021-1-5
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332822 ft
United States

vortex19 Posted at 1-5 06:25
What specific problems do you want an update to address?

No problems needing fixed on my Mini, but opening up a few new features wouldnt hurt from a customer point of view........   it’s not like a couple other features on the Mini are going to cut into Mini 2 sales at this point.

It will be especially interesting to see if DJI does anything to help us USA Mini owners become FAA 107 complient when the new rules roll out regarding Remote ID, lighter batteries or prop cage to stay below 250 total gram, and possibly prop auto stop......

2021-1-5
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

EHEA Posted at 2020-12-23 05:34

While I agree 100% on your statement, I love to see the brands I support, believing in their products and keep adding features, listening to customers feedback. I own synthesizers which keep getting awesome updates 10 years after their launch...

The mini 2, being released less than a year after the one, is a stab in the back of all mini1 users... They basically used us as beta testers for the mini 2. Same drone, but proper cooling to allow 4K, stronger and safer propeller motors,... After all the "no 4K cause is a toy drone, beginner, entry level, it will shadow the Mavic Air bla bla bla..." Non sense...

Lots of issues, crashes, faulty IMUs, fly away, blow away, climbs ad drops from sky...

So while I agree we should be happy with what comes out of the box, the Mavic Mini was far from a polished, finished product out of the box...

Also since the mini 2 came out with tons of stuff the 1 does not, I don't see outrageous for some users to expect some love in the shape of updates.
2021-1-5
Use props
unpluggeduk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

EHEA Posted at 2020-12-23 05:34

To be fair that was one of the reasons I brought the Mini however it's not always about fixing shoddy stuff after the sale.

As a developer and tech head I will often look at what my electronics can do "outside the norm" when picking a product and the API instilled confidence in me that DJI supports an good open platform that allows others to extend and to a certain degree "mod" the drone to do things it doesen't on paper and Litchi is an excellent example of that and it's one of the reasons I chose the Mini along with reputation.

It also instils confidence is when a manufacturer adds value to it's old products by adding and upgrading small features for a reasonable period of time (the SDK being a perfect example of that) and pretty much any tech now be it a phone, laptop, pc has an expectation for small Quality of Life updates in the shape of new features or improvements. It makes the initial investment feel even better and makes me more likely to upgrade if they feel the manufacturer listens to feedback and improves on their products.

When a relatively new drone, however, get superseded after barely a year of release and adds features like RAW and Panorama that people have asked countless times only to be told "We will pass it onto the dev team blargh blargh" it sends a very different message. There are of course solid reasons to buy the Mini 2 that won't be affected with a little parity with the Mini 1.

As far as i'm concerned it feels to me that DJI have all but discontinued the Mini and have sent a clear message over the drones future. You are correct in that we really have nothing to moan about. We have got exactly what we paid for that has all the specs and features listed. And I genuinely do enjoy my Mini but as a photographer it irks me that it only does Jpeg and DJI have seemingly answered the constant requests for RAW with a middle finger.  

The Mini to me was a starter drone to get into flying and not to drop a large amount on a passing fad. I love flying and it's a message I will remember when I likely upgrade next year and it makes the choice of my big boy drone far less clear cut.
2021-1-5
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Worthless thread........
2021-1-5
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jwp721 Posted at 1-5 11:50
No problems needing fixed on my Mini, but opening up a few new features wouldnt hurt from a customer point of view........   it’s not like a couple other features on the Mini are going to cut into Mini 2 sales at this point.

It will be especially interesting to see if DJI does anything to help us USA Mini owners become FAA 107 complient when the new rules roll out regarding Remote ID, lighter batteries or prop cage to stay below 250 total gram, and possibly prop auto stop......

But that’s a bit like buying a car and expecting the manufacturer to add features found on more expensive models to it at a later date for free. Why would they do that if it performs as advertised? DJI released an SDK which they were not compelled to do and this allows features to be added by third party apps. Some people have said in other threads that they would pay for waypoints and other features to be added - so pay for a third-party app and you get what you want.
2021-1-6
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99797 ft
Czechia

vortex19 Posted at 1-6 01:56
But that’s a bit like buying a car and expecting the manufacturer to add features found on more expensive models to it at a later date for free. Why would they do that if it performs as advertised? DJI released an SDK which they were not compelled to do and this allows features to be added by third party apps. Some people have said in other threads that they would pay for waypoints and other features to be added - so pay for a third-party app and you get what you want.

We speak about basic software features from Mini 2, not from higher-level drones. If we compare price and better hw in mini 2, then mini 2 is not so much expensive than mavic mini. And mini 2 comes only one year after Mavic Mini with everything that we want in MM. We read one year that raw is not possible in this category and bang, mini 2 has raw. Some Mavic Mini users feels like beta testers now. btw my almost ten year old cheap router has firmware from dec-2020 with all possible new sw features from latest manufacturer model.
2021-1-6
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332822 ft
United States

That’s certainly an argument.  But it’s about creating customer loyalty with almost no risk or extensive research and development needed..  I have seen several electronic device companies  unlock features that weren’t available when the item was bought.  It’s a good pr move because it creates a renewed interest in a device which often leads to wanting an even more advanced model. .   

Example...  my digital camera history= Canon Rebel, Canon 30D, Canon 50D, & now a  Canon 80D.   Each time a new model came out Canon would unlock a small functionality in the older model just to keep owners interested and excited about their gear.....  and they earned a life long customer.  Doesn’t sound too bad to me.   Does it to you?
2021-1-6
Use props
simplesimon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 142841 ft
Canada

jwp721 Posted at 1-6 08:10
That’s certainly an argument.  But it’s about creating customer loyalty with almost no risk or extensive research and development needed..  I have seen several electronic device companies  unlock features that weren’t available when the item was bought.  It’s a good pr move because it creates a renewed interest in a device which often leads to wanting an even more advanced model. .   

Example...  my digital camera history= Canon Rebel, Canon 30D, Canon 50D, & now a  Canon 80D.   Each time a new model came out Canon would unlock a small functionality in the older model just to keep owners interested and excited about their gear.....  and they earned a life long customer.  Doesn’t sound too bad to me.   Does it to you?

Good luck in convincing any of the DJI apologists in this forum with your perfectly rational argument.
2021-1-6
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

simplesimon Posted at 1-6 09:39
Good luck in convincing any of the DJI apologists in this forum with your perfectly rational argument.

DJI will lose it's drones "monopole" soon because of their greed....and employees going to other companies with their experience and knowledge will evolve the market.

Stone-age time marketing is finished DJI.

XiaJiien

2021-1-6
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

jwp721 Posted at 1-6 08:10

Your experience with Canon is much different than my experience.  In my experience firmware updates are very few and very far between with almost exclusively only bug fixes in them.  They did add 24fps to my 90D in a firmware update about 2 months after release, but not a single firmware update in the 14+ months since.
2021-1-6
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-5 11:50
While I agree 100% on your statement, I love to see the brands I support, believing in their products and keep adding features, listening to customers feedback. I own synthesizers which keep getting awesome updates 10 years after their launch...

The mini 2, being released less than a year after the one, is a stab in the back of all mini1 users... They basically used us as beta testers for the mini 2. Same drone, but proper cooling to allow 4K, stronger and safer propeller motors,... After all the "no 4K cause is a toy drone, beginner, entry level, it will shadow the Mavic Air bla bla bla..." Non sense...

If you were happy with the Mini when you bought it, I don't understand how a new release is a stab in the back.  Buy it for what it is, not what you think it may eventually be.  The future isn't guaranteed other than the fact that a new version will always eventually be coming.  Fly what you got and enjoy it.  If it doesn't do what you want it to do, sell it and get the new one.

Everybody just assumes that the camera system is exactly the same between the Mini and Mini 2.  It could be that the sensor is exactly the same, but maybe the processing hardware behind that can't handle additional capabilities.  I really don't know, but I don't think it is a safe assumption.
2021-1-6
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

KlooGee Posted at 1-6 14:48
If you were happy with the Mini when you bought it, I don't understand how a new release is a stab in the back.  Buy it for what it is, not what you think it may eventually be.  The future isn't guaranteed other than the fact that a new version will always eventually be coming.  Fly what you got and enjoy it.  If it doesn't do what you want it to do, sell it and get the new one.

Everybody just assumes that the camera system is exactly the same between the Mini and Mini 2.  It could be that the sensor is exactly the same, but maybe the processing hardware behind that can't handle additional capabilities.  I really don't know, but I don't think it is a safe assumption.

The Mini hasn't behaved normally at all.
Drops and climbs, error motors... Weird behavior led to my latest crash...
The new motors in the mini 2 are, a fix to the mini 1 errors.
DJI said, mini 1 is entry level, so no raw, no panos or no 4K, why the mini 2 that assumption is just non existent... I'm not moaning, again is just dissatisfaction on the after sale customer service.
2021-1-7
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-7 04:35

In regards to the drops, climbs and motor errors, that sounds like you have a bad drone that DJI should fix/replace for you. My first amino 1 was a lemon, I had it replaced and the new one has been solid since.  

Again, maybe with the Mini 2, they put in more advanced hardware that allows them to be able to do the additional functions in the Mini 2 that just can’t be done with the hardware in the Mini 1.  When the Mini 1 was released, it was widely known it didn’t have those features you listed.  Expecting them to add them is just setting yourself up to disappointment.  

Everybody did the same thing when the Mavic 2 was released without 4K60 and assumed it would be added later.  We are about 2.5 yes later still with no 4K60.  I still say one should buy a product for what it is, not what they hope it will be.  You’ll be much happier in the end with this in mind.  
2021-1-7
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-7 04:35

It has behaved normally for most users. Those who post about their issues online represent a tiny proportion of Mini users. If these were common problems, the Internet would be awash with complaints and it isn’t. Mine has worked flawlessly since I bought it so it can’t be a design problem.
2021-1-7
Use props
Mavixx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 993100 ft
Germany

But that’s a bit like buying a car and expecting the manufacturer to add features found on more expensive models to it at a later date for free. Why would they do that if it performs as advertised? DJI released an SDK which they were not compelled to do and this allows features to be added by third party apps. Some people have said in other threads that they would pay for waypoints and other features to be added - so pay for a third-party app and you get what you want.

Exactly. It's like buying a car on wich you can't use the 2nd gear (like 24p). After months you get an update to use the 2nd gear. At least you're not being charged for the extra feature. Great.
2021-1-8
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Czechia

Mavixx Posted at 1-8 02:34
Exactly. It's like buying a car on wich you can't use the 2nd gear (like 24p). After months you get an update to use the 2nd gear. At least you're not being charged for the extra feature. Great.

Compare this with cars is nonsense. We speak about software, not about hardware. And in software is  usual to get new features. And DJI adds new software features to products. With Mini is unfair that DJI shortened lifecycle of this model to only one year and release Mini2 with major software changes, that are partly possible in MavicMini, but not backported.
2021-1-8
Use props
simplesimon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 142841 ft
Canada

JHa Posted at 1-8 03:17
Compare this with cars is nonsense. We speak about software, not about hardware. And in software is  usual to get new features. And DJI adds new software features to products. With Mini is unfair that DJI shortened lifecycle of this model to only one year and release Mini2 with major software changes, that are partly possible in MavicMini, but not backported.

Yes!  The ridiculous "buying a car" analogy has to stop.

No equivalence there whatsoever.
2021-1-8
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JHa Posted at 1-8 03:17
Compare this with cars is nonsense. We speak about software, not about hardware. And in software is  usual to get new features. And DJI adds new software features to products. With Mini is unfair that DJI shortened lifecycle of this model to only one year and release Mini2 with major software changes, that are partly possible in MavicMini, but not backported.

And you know FOR A FACT that Mini 2 features can be incorporated into the Mini 1? There are definitely no hardware issues that might mean that this isn't possible?
2021-1-9
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Canada

DJI, thanks for updates on Fly app for Mini One...keep up the support.
2021-1-13
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Czechia

vortex19 Posted at 1-9 10:19
And you know FOR A FACT that Mini 2 features can be incorporated into the Mini 1? There are definitely no hardware issues that might mean that this isn't possible?

I didn't write about all features. I understand problems with higher bitrate or 4K, but AEB, panorama, RAW? Only if there is no free space in memory for firmware.
2021-1-13
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JHa Posted at 1-13 07:31
I didn't write about all features. I understand problems with higher bitrate or 4K, but AEB, panorama, RAW? Only if there is no free space in memory for firmware.

Which could well be the case, we just don't know. There's no point arguing that features could or should be added without knowing FOR CERTAIN that it's possible to do so.
2021-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules