714 16 2020-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had my Alpine Pro for over a 18 months and only had to change the props twice... ( a branch tried to bite it )
With the Mini, geez... I went through three sets in about 6 weeks.  ( lots of flying with no unplanned contacts or landings and they still deforned.  Yah yah... I know the march.  Even protecting them from deformation in the case didn't help, they were just flimsy )

Anyhow, for anyone flying the Air 2 for say.... 3-4 months ... how have the props been holding up?  Have you managed to damage them with branch contact?  If not, with lots of flying hours, are you finding any distortion that's making them louder, or less efficient?

2020-12-22
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

I'm trying to be cautious so no crash no damage, no need to change props on MA2, don't feel difference in noise level or efficiency (I had to change bent rear props on Mini 1).
2020-12-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

MA2 props are much better designed and more durable than Mini 1 props.  Haven't changed props on MA2 and it flys well with no issues.
2020-12-23
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have no issues with the props.
I have the fly more and keep the drone stored in the bag.
Seems roomy enough and I have not noticed any distortion with the props or unusual flying.
I have not hugged a tree yet but I would guess it would cause damage to the props and no I will not purposely test this in the name of science.
2020-12-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

virtual Posted at 12-23 03:36
I'm trying to be cautious so no crash no damage, no need to change props on MA2, don't feel difference in noise level or efficiency (I had to change bent rear props on Mini 1).

Thanks, " v " ...

I'm kind of glad I kept my Spark as a "warm up" bird.  Before I take out newer drones I'll take a quick battery or two with the Spark to refresh muscle memory.  My point (there always is one!0 fewer and fewer close calls with limbs and twigs!
2020-12-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-23 04:40
MA2 props are much better designed and more durable than Mini 1 props.  Haven't changed props on MA2 and it flys well with no issues.

Thanks, 'DownTown'

Agree.. the Mini 1 props are/were a disaster.  My Mini is awaiting 'evaluation' by the Trade Up "team" at DJI.  So much of a disappointment and a danger I wouldn't pass it along to my grandson (who is a very good pilot).

That said, I'm looking forward to a few hundred hours of experience to share with others.
2020-12-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lisa3 Posted at 12-23 05:41
I have no issues with the props.
I have the fly more and keep the drone stored in the bag.
Seems roomy enough and I have not noticed any distortion with the props or unusual flying.

Thank you Lisa.
I also plan on using the stock combo bag for storage and transportation.  I have a tendency to over pack thinking I'm saving something by using one bag over two smaller; won't happen with this craft.

Unintentional landing due to equipment failures as opposed to 'pilot error' should not happen.  I'm hoping this forum can also be a place where equipment durability is monitored as much as we hear complains about firmware and apps :-)

Thanks again.
2020-12-23
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

WebParrot Posted at 12-23 06:06
Thanks, " v " ...

I'm kind of glad I kept my Spark as a "warm up" bird.  Before I take out newer drones I'll take a quick battery or two with the Spark to refresh muscle memory.  My point (there always is one!0 fewer and fewer close calls with limbs and twigs!

To refresh the skills is always good idea. I was using RC simulator (RC airplanes) at the beggining of season, no Sim for MA2 AFAIK, what a shame! With all the smart technolgy there's (unfortunately) still danger of crash.
Clear flights and safe landings!

EDIT: I store my MA2 in FMC bag since June (batteries in separate "lipo-safe" bags) and no problems, prop material is firm.

2020-12-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

WebParrot Posted at 12-23 06:06
Thanks, " v " ...

I also have a sacrificial Spark.  I use it for flying in terrible weather though.  It’s a tank.
2020-12-23
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I only had to change one prop when in nicked a twig when landing.  Other than that one I have flow 450 miles on the original props.
2020-12-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

virtual Posted at 12-23 07:50
To refresh the skills is always good idea. I was using RC simulator (RC airplanes) at the beggining of season, no Sim for MA2 AFAIK, what a shame! With all the smart technolgy there's (unfortunately) still danger of crash.
Clear flights and safe landings!

RE: storage.
I'm the same... when I store my batteries for a "season" they go into LiPO bags and into metal ammo boxes, placed in the basement where the temps are in the mid 60's (f).  
2020-12-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 12-23 08:35
I only had to change one prop when in nicked a twig when landing.  Other than that one I have flow 450 miles on the original props.

Thanks... I need to change my profile to start logging miles, not just battery hours.
2020-12-23
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

I only needed to change one prop after hugging a bush, which had a small crack on the leading edge. But it was more for precaution.
Even with this crack there was no change in the flight behavior, performance or noise.

After now 6 months of flying, no need to change the props. It looks, that they are very reliable.
2020-12-23
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

The only time I needed to replace props is when I get into a crash which is a rare occasion, you are going through a lot of props for that mini.  You might want to invest in a good bag or nice  wrapped to protect your props.
2020-12-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 12-23 13:28
The only time I needed to replace props is when I get into a crash which is a rare occasion, you are going through a lot of props for that mini.  You might want to invest in a good bag or nice  wrapped to protect your props.

The mini is gone :-)  I used the 20% bonus on the Trade Up offer and made the mental trade off of the lost value.  I realize I might have gotten more by selling on eBay.  However would have felt guilty passing on such a weak drone with such poorly designed props.  Fortunately I still have my Spark for 'warm ups' before flying the bigger, more fun, MA2.  (Plus, not that my partner sees how much fun flying is, she wants to use the Spark to 'learn' with... a much better platform for learning than the Mini.)
Thanks again for your reply.
2020-12-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MySky Posted at 12-23 13:04
I only needed to change one prop after hugging a bush, which had a small crack on the leading edge. But it was more for precaution.
Even with this crack there was no change in the flight behavior, performance or noise.

Very good info, thanks.  Six months is a good time line... FWIW, that's about how long my acoustic 'ukulele can go without a string change :-)
2020-12-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

WebParrot Posted at 12-23 06:09
Thanks, 'DownTown'

Agree.. the Mini 1 props are/were a disaster.  My Mini is awaiting 'evaluation' by the Trade Up "team" at DJI.  So much of a disappointment and a danger I wouldn't pass it along to my grandson (who is a very good pilot).

You're very welcome.  Season's greetings and stay safe.
2020-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules