Did DJI just remove the orientation indicator in 1.2.2?
1850 20 2020-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Did they really replace the orientation indicator at the bottom of the screen with a 1-pixel blue dot in the attitude indicator?! Seems to stu..... silly to be true......
2020-12-25
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yep, pretty sure that’s exactly what they did.
I don’t have a clue on what it takes to develop an app so maybe it’s what they had to do.
Give and take I would imagine.
2020-12-25
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Lisa3 Posted at 12-25 10:40
Yep, pretty sure that’s exactly what they did.
I don’t have a clue on what it takes to develop an app so maybe it’s what they had to do.
Give and take I would imagine.

No, i’ve been making a living developing apps for the past 15 years, this is just bad decisions of the design/product management department. People have been asking to be able to see the orientation and the map at the same time and now they make it even worse....... and why they decided to go with a blue pixel and not at least a small arrow is a real mistery to me........
2020-12-25
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Am I right with that?

2020-12-25
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

I think “??north??” Is actually your orientation. North is probably up.
2020-12-25
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 12-25 10:44
No, i’ve been making a living developing apps for the past 15 years, this is just bad decisions of the design/product management department. People have been asking to be able to see the orientation and the map at the same time and now they make it even worse....... and why they decided to go with a blue pixel and not at least a small arrow is a real mistery to me........

Even worse from the two videos I have seen (still waiting for the android version) is if your controller and homepoint are too close together the blue dot icon (RC) is under the homepoint icon and the orientation bug attached to the blue dot is hidden at times since the homepoint  icon is larger than the RC indicator (blue dot). So to make this setup usable you either need to put some distance between you (RC) and and where the takeoff locaition is (homepoint) or reset the homepoint to a further away location after takeoff so that the homepoint icon isn't over lapping the RC icon (blue dot).
2020-12-25
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The Blue Dot is the controllers location and the Blue Arrow is the controllers orientation.
2020-12-25
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

I think this is why they gave the possibilty to toggle between mapview and video feed via the function key, because a lot of people had an issue interpreting the orientation indicator correct at the bottom, also because of the miscalibrated compas in a lot of mobile phones.
As in a lot of countries flying is only allowed by VLOS, so i think it is not an issue that the icons will overlap and to switch between map view and back, because it is more clear and logical to see the bird on a map, especilly if it is behind someone, which honestly was a crap how it was realized at the orientation indicator yet. And a lot of people, like me, only used it, if the bird was far away.

2020-12-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have not flown with 1.2.2 so far, but I think something changed.
Luckily I only made 3 flights so far, so I'm not attached to anything yet.
2020-12-25
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

MySky Posted at 12-25 12:46
I think this is why they gave the possibilty to toggle between mapview and video feed via the function key, because a lot of people had an issue interpreting the orientation indicator correct at the bottom, also because of the miscalibrated compas in a lot of mobile phones.
As in a lot of countries flying is only allowed by VLOS, so i think it is not an issue that the icons will overlap and to switch between map view and back, because it is more clear and logical to see the bird on a map, especilly if it is behind someone, which honestly was a crap how it was realized at the orientation indicator yet. And a lot of people, like me, only used it, if the bird was far away.

I would like to see the new Radar positionable and able to be displayed at the same time as the Map more like the Histogram.
2020-12-25
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Ramon Posted at 12-26 03:08
El problema es toda la app DJI FLY que lefaltan datos de seguridad en el vuelo .....

N-am nici cea mai vagă idee ce zici acolo
2020-12-26
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

) i think you missed the point i was making
2020-12-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 12-25 10:44

You are spot on about bad decision of the design.    
2020-12-26
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Agree, this design doesn't look well arranged... I was hoping for Go4 style indicator.
2020-12-26
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Ok, so it’s actually worse than I thought:
1. The little blue direction indicator around the RC location (showing which way i’m facing) is basically always UNDER the much larger HP icon. The only way to prevent that is to have the HP set to some other location, which is a very bad idea. Seriously, how a drone manufacturer with this much experience makes such a mistake is beyond me.
2. That same direction indicator is actually broken, the direction is showing is incorrect. And it’s not my phone’s compass at fault because switching to the map view with dynamic orientation indicates everything correctly (the red line between drone and HP is perfectly vertical from the bottom to the drone when I’m facing it). Two direction indicators using the same data and showing different directions. Great job!

Seriously DJI, just bring back the previous direction indicator. At least make it an option. Especially for larger phones, there is PLENTY of empty space at the bottom center of the screen, especially when using the new ATTI indicator, which is much smaller than the map.
2021-1-2
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Pappy3 Posted at 2020-12-25 11:33
Even worse from the two videos I have seen (still waiting for the android version) is if your controller and homepoint are too close together the blue dot icon (RC) is under the homepoint icon and the orientation bug attached to the blue dot is hidden at times since the homepoint  icon is larger than the RC indicator (blue dot). So to make this setup usable you either need to put some distance between you (RC) and and where the takeoff locaition is (homepoint) or reset the homepoint to a further away location after takeoff so that the homepoint icon isn't over lapping the RC icon (blue dot).

It's kind of obvious that if you don't see the blue dot (RC) it must be under the HP.  Just yaw to put the aircraft symbol pointing towards the HP, go forward and the drone will fly towards the HP/RC.  To find your drone if you've lost sight, draw a line from the HP/RC symbol through the aircraft symbol to the imaginary outer ring of the compass.  Based on the N symbol you should be able to get a direction NE, ENE, E, etc to look for your drone.
2021-1-2
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 1-2 10:59
It's kind of obvious that if you don't see the blue dot (RC) it must be under the HP.  Just yaw to put the aircraft symbol pointing towards the HP, go forward and the drone will fly towards the HP/RC.  To find your drone if you've lost sight, draw a line from the HP/RC symbol through the aircraft symbol to the imaginary outer ring of the compass.  Based on the N symbol you should be able to get a direction NE, ENE, E, etc to look for your drone.

I found a better solution, just use the map with the compass on.
RCAircraftAlignmentMap.png

2021-1-2
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I tried the attitude indicator today, not for me.
Love the map, set up to swap the view with one button press, two presses for bottom led.
2021-1-2
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

Personally I don't care for the new indicator. As others have pointed out, you can't see it and the map at the same time, and often since the blue dot is covered by the home indicator, you can't see anything, so it's useless. The previous aircraft orientation indicator was fine. You could see both the drone and the home point on the map, and the orientation of the controller to the drone at all times. And it was confusing. One day I go out to fly and one of my major controls is just gone. I spent a long time trying to figure out what was "wrong" with my drone, only to come to the forums here and find there had been an update with no documentation.
2021-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules