First Drone and my phone won't support it
1293 16 2020-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daniel1953
lvl.1
Canada

Received my first drone, a Mavic Mini and my Samsung won't support the DJI Fly app. As a photographer and retired educator, I was looking forward to getting into drones and DJI was the manufacture to go with. We have two phones and none support the app. Not sure what to do now wait for an update or return the drone.  
2020-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

We have two phones and none support the app. Not sure what to do now wait for an update or return the drone.
What do mean about your phones not supporting the app?
Have you tried them and found they won't work or are you just put off by DJI's list of supported phones?

DJI Fly won't work on 32 bit phones or tablets, so if you have a 32 bit phone, it's never going to work with DJI Fly, but many 64 bit phones do, even though they aren't on DJI's very short list.
2020-12-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Which Samsung device do you have?
2020-12-26
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Hope you can solve the problem quickly and enjoy the flight of the Mini!

2020-12-26
Use props
Daniel1953
lvl.1
Canada

Labroides Posted at 12-26 05:35
We have two phones and none support the app. Not sure what to do now wait for an update or return the drone.
What do mean about your phones not supporting the app?
Have you tried them and found they won't work or are you just put off by DJI's list of supported phones?

Both our phones are 32 bit and at this point, we are not going to buy a new phone just to support the app. This is unfortunate as many consumers, especially older ones, prefer to hold on to their phones (technology) as long as they meet their needs. If I can't find another app that will support it  I'll have to return the unit ..
2020-12-26
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

You might want to look at getting a tablet that you essentially only use for flying the drone.  There have been several discussions about tablets here on the forum.  In some cases, for not a lot of money.  You do NOT need cellular service for the tablet.  I can tell you that having the larger screen is really nice.  
2020-12-26
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Daniel1953 Posted at 12-26 08:00
Both our phones are 32 bit and at this point, we are not going to buy a new phone just to support the app. This is unfortunate as many consumers, especially older ones, prefer to hold on to their phones (technology) as long as they meet their needs. If I can't find another app that will support it  I'll have to return the unit ..

Unfortunately you're going to find more and more apps are not going to be compatible with 32-bit devices, ultimately your 32-bit OS will also be orphaned and will become unsafe to use. Does Litchi support 32-bit phones and your model drone?
2020-12-26
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

An old and common issue.  While DJI does list compatible devices, its not always clear.  I'm weaker than you and did buy a new phone!  

https://www.dji.com/dji-fly

Consider this

DJI has stated in the past zero chances of a 32 bit version.  What about Litchi??  https://flylitchi.com/  I don't know their specs.  

2020-12-26
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Akirasho Posted at 12-26 11:33
An old and common issue.  While DJI does list compatible devices, its not always clear.  I'm weaker than you and did buy a new phone!  

https://www.dji.com/dji-fly

I was going to make a post about litchi but it kind of falls into it's own non recommendation.

Litchi works with a lot more devices then DJI Fly but as this is a "New" drone if something were to happen warranty support could be bleak if his only log is from litchi. If @op doesn't care about losing his warranty then the use of litchi could be the cheapest/simplest option next to buying a second device.

Litchi 32bit support
32bit Tablets and Litchi
2020-12-26
Use props
Daniel1953
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems that Litchi will run the Mavic Mini. In addition, Litchi has the option to layout waypoint routes, which interests me. For $31.99 I'm going to give it a try after doing a little more research on the Mavic forum. At least it will get me started and when one of my kid retire their 64bit cell I'll take that. Thanks again everybody ...
2020-12-26
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Litchi will NOT supprt waypoints!
2020-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Daniel1953 Posted at 12-26 12:23
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems that Litchi will run the Mavic Mini. In addition, Litchi has the option to layout waypoint routes, which interests me. For $31.99 I'm going to give it a try after doing a little more research on the Mavic forum. At least it will get me started and when one of my kid retire their 64bit cell I'll take that. Thanks again everybody ...

It seems that Litchi will run the Mavic Mini.
There's still a problem you will have to deal with.
Before you can fly a brand new DJI drone, it has to be activated (registered with DJI).
The way you do this is with the appropriate DJI app for your drone.
Until the Mini has not been activated, you won't be able to fly with Litchi.
2020-12-26
Use props
Daniel1953
lvl.1
Canada

Labroides Posted at 12-26 18:15
It seems that Litchi will run the Mavic Mini.
There's still a problem you will have to deal with.
Before you can fly a brand new DJI drone, it has to be activated (registered with DJI).

Thank you for this. My son was able to download DJI fly on his phone. I'll activate my drone using his then fly with Litchi on mine ...
2020-12-26
Use props
Fat Panda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31050 ft
Hong Kong

there will be some risks when using third-party apps, you are unable to get data analysis service from DJI if the third-party app resulting a drone accident.
2020-12-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please refer to the DJI Fly app product page for information regarding compatibility with specific devices: https://www.dji.com/dji-fly, to ensure stability and compatibility, it is recommended to try the mobile device on the list.
Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues. Thanks for your kind understanding.
2020-12-26
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm old too, but I don't expect my Windows XP to run the latest photoshop.  

Holding on to a 32 bit phone and saying it does everything you need (when it obviously doesn't) is mistaking the headlight of the train for daylight.  

Or, "man yells at cloud"...
2020-12-26
Use props
Daniel1953
lvl.1
Canada

Just a further follow-up regarding my issue with finding a platform to run dji fly. A friend will be giving his retired iPhone 6 which will be great. However, I have also been looking at a tablet as it would be easier for me to see and also to edit on. The new Galaxy tab 8  isn't on the list of recommended platforms to run the app. Has anybody been able to comfortably run the app on a tab 8?   I might add, it  is the tab 8 2020 which is 64 bit ...
2021-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules