Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What if I climbed a mountain...
1427 14 2015-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikey14
lvl.3

United States

What happens if I climbed a mountain and flew out an down? I can only go up 500M from where I started but would I be able to go down as far as I want? How does that work? Has anyone done this before?
2015-7-1
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't actually had the opportunity to try that yet however I would expect you could go down as low as you wanted within the range of the phantom.  That would be very cool to try and I bet the footage would be amazing.  
2015-7-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, film the trial flight and post it for us other mountaineers.
I will try this myself, the next trip I make to visit family in Canmore Alberta, in the Rockies...
What a beautiful country, Canada... I love you home and land of the free.

RedHotPoker
2015-7-1
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-7-2 11:01
Yes, film the trial flight and post it for us other mountaineers.
I will try this myself, the next  ...

So, theoretically the Phantom is limited to 500m above ground. So let's say the guy takes off way up in the mountains and flies over a cliff that has a vertical drop of 600M. What happens when the Phantom sees the number in excess of 500M?

If a tree falls in the woods...... LOL
2015-7-2
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-2 18:34
So, theoretically the Phantom is limited to 500m above ground. So let's say the guy takes off way  ...

What happens when the Phantom sees the number in excess of 500M

The Phantom will not see a number in excess of 500 meters.  It will see the altitude measured from the takeoff point.
2015-7-2
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-7-2 19:59
What happens when the Phantom sees the number in excess of 500M

The Phantom will not see a numbe ...

LOL - as long as he flies *down* the mountain, the numbers will be negative.
Now, the thought comes up that he'd better not land somewhere down there and start over!
This shouldn't be funny, but, somehow, it is!

CAN MAN TRIUMPH OVER MACHINE??
2015-7-2
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

This guy has ->      Mt. Bierstadt

And this one too ->   
2015-7-2
Use props
pbrown73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 964596 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am curious about negative altitude though. Can anyone confirm that nothing funny happens at that point? I fly from a cliff sometimes but have been hesitant to go below my start point out of fear the craft will freak out with negative altitude.
2015-7-2
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

After my neighbor swatted my P3P out of the air my home point always starts at negative 9.8ft +/-    (calibrating doesn't help)…….still flew perfectly and hope that is fixed as well when it comes back from the shop.
2015-7-2
Use props
minuzzo
New

United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-7-3 05:47
After my neighbor swatted my P3P out of the air my home point always starts at negative 9.8ft +/-    ...

I have flown lower than the start point without any issues.  As others have pointed out it will just show negative numbers.  I posted a question a few days ago trying to see if there is a way to have the height shown be the actual above ground height, i.e. not referenced to the take off point but I have not received any replies.   I would prefer to see the actual above ground height so I know how high off the ground the copter is when it is half a mile away down in a valley.
2015-7-2
Use props
minuzzo
New

United States

pbrown73 Posted at 2015-7-3 05:29
I am curious about negative altitude though. Can anyone confirm that nothing funny happens at that p ...

I have flown lower than the start point without any issues.  As others have pointed out it will just show negative numbers.  I posted a question a few days ago trying to see if there is a way to have the height shown be the actual above ground height, i.e. not referenced to the take off point but I have not received any replies.   I would prefer to see the actual above ground height so I know how high off the ground the copter is when it is half a mile away down in a valley.
2015-7-2
Use props
Mikey14
lvl.3

United States

Damn, that was an amazing video of Maui North. One of the best videos I've seen
2015-7-2
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Instead of just starting a thread why not look at all the past threads? This same thing has been discussed 3+ other times in 3+ threads since May..  Read a little people, come on
2015-7-3
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

minuzzo Posted at 2015-7-3 08:33
I have flown lower than the start point without any issues.  As others have pointed out it will ju ...

There is no way to do "actual above ground height" because the P3 has no way to detect where the ground is other than the VPS which only works up to 10 feet.

It is going by the barometric sensor which is just detecting change in altitude. The height it is showing is the change from where it started to where it is currently.

Yes you can go down below where you started with no problem. It just shows a negative change. The 500m altitude limit is really just a maximum positive change. There is no negative limit.
2015-7-3
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

My house sits on a hill about 80 feet high and I flew down into the holler while I was filming some deer grazing below.  While I noticed the negative altitude on my display with some mild amusement nothing unusual or unpredictable happened.  

Hey, maybe somebody from out West can fly downinto one of those "Cosmic vortexes" like around Sedona Arizona and see if maybe they can get some footage of an alternative dimension or something equally weird!
2015-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules