Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Mavic Air 2 has this new Firmare Upgarde

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556

I see something many of us have almost been asking for is getting added..

What’s New?
  • Added cruise control for Free mode in Hyperlapse (requires DJI Fly v1.2.2 or later for iOS version. Support for Android version will be added later). Exercise caution when using cruise control.
  • Optimized RTH. If the aircraft is at a distance of 5 m to 50 m from the Home Point when RTH is initiated, the aircraft adjusts its orientation and flies to the Home Point at the current altitude.

..wonder if this will ever be implemented on the Mini? I think they should change it though to climb to RTH height first as this doesn't avoid the issue where in the majority of negative cases there could be something between home point and the mini e.g you have flown around the corner of a building after moving from home point. It does solve the issue though if something is above the mini but this would surely be the minority of cases?  I guess if something is in the way and it's the Air 2 collision sensors will kick in which the Mini doesn't have.
2020-12-29
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

If I understand the change, I sure hope they don't make that change.  Sounds like a recipe for crashing into something. during the RTH.  I can't think of any reason that you would not want the drone to climb to the RTH altitude before heading home.  When I fly from my driveway at home, I have a lot of trees in most directions.  I would not want the drone to RTH without climbing first.

You said this was almost something requested.  What was requested?

2020-12-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

K6CCC Posted at 12-30 08:23
If I understand the change, I sure hope they don't make that change.  Sounds like a recipe for crashing into something. during the RTH.  I can't think of any reason that you would not want the drone to climb to the RTH altitude before heading home.  When I fly from my driveway at home, I have a lot of trees in most directions.  I would not want the drone to RTH without climbing first.

Hi there, has been LOTS of discussions on RTH here and over on Mavic Pilots forums (that I read). Seems there is a divided line of thinking that If your controller disconnects or your instigate RTH within 20m of home point your drone will just land. While that sounds like it will suit you perfectly anybody flying launching by a lake or a jetty, in small space between high buildings (probably not a smart move!) or next to a building with angular roof - I have first hand experience on that one!) or a mountain top or next to a ravine etc etc if with 20m in those situations and the drone lands where it is it could be the end of the drone.

My personal view is to give the pilot 1) A reminder before the flight starts and 2) An option to RTH, Hover, Land, RTH at existing altitude even if 20m away.  Every flight is different and appropriate automation will vary for each so why not just give us the choice. It's on us but at least we had the choice to select most appropriate behaviour.

Cheers
2020-12-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

As you stated: No forward or rearward sensors on the Mini 1 or Mini 2, so it can run into something. Not so likely with the MA2 which has both of those sensors.
2020-12-30
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I don't particularly like the current "within 20 meters, just land" way it works now.  You are right, that could cause major Ah-... depending on where you are.  That messed up a demo for me when I forgot that and initiated a RTH when it was only about 10 feet from the home point.  Made me look silly when it was obviously aiming to land on the roof of the garage we were next to - until I aborted the RTH...  Then I remembered the 20 meter limit and re-did the demo and it worked perfectly.

If I understand the change (and yes, I realize that was only for the MA2), Beyond 50 meters it would climb to the RTH altitude as it does now and then fly home.  Between 5 & 50 meters, it would fly home at it's current altitude, and I assume within 5 meters it would just land as it does now.  Definitely would not be good on a drone with no front sensors.  

My personal view is to give the pilot 1) A reminder before the flight starts and 2) An option to RTH, Hover, Land, RTH at existing altitude even if 20m away.  Every flight is different and appropriate automation will vary for each so why not just give us the choice. It's on us but at least we had the choice to select most appropriate behaviour.

I like that idea.  Of course, all this is moot for me as I don't own a Air 2 (although I might one day)...
2020-12-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

K6CCC Posted at 12-30 16:40
I don't particularly like the current "within 20 meters, just land" way it works now.  You are right, that could cause major Ah-... depending on where you are.  That messed up a demo for me when I forgot that and initiated a RTH when it was only about 10 feet from the home point.  Made me look silly when it was obviously aiming to land on the roof of the garage we were next to - until I aborted the RTH...  Then I remembered the 20 meter limit and re-did the demo and it worked perfectly.

If I understand the change (and yes, I realize that was only for the MA2), Beyond 50 meters it would climb to the RTH altitude as it does now and then fly home.  Between 5 & 50 meters, it would fly home at it's current altitude, and I assume within 5 meters it would just land as it does now.  Definitely would not be good on a drone with no front sensors.  

I've always thought DJI is pretty unbending in changing this but looking at the MA2 change maybe they are starting to think about it.

Have had something similiar with the mini in the early days does make you aware of that rule pretty fast!

I ran a dronelink mission recently that went about 500mm away over a ravine. The day before I was just taking some panos around the house so had RTH set to Hover and forgot to change it. I was just SO lucky my Dronelink automated mission didn't disconnect as I would have been in real trouble but the 20m DJI rule forced me to set RTH to hover. Yes I should have checked before I flew the dronelink mission but if DJI Fly had prompted me on takeoff I would have most certainly remembered to set RTH to "rise to RTH height then come home"
2020-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules