12Next >
2792 44 2020-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Firstly I would like to say, that I'm not a crying baby, I have loved to fly the Mini when it actually worked correctly...
I'm also extremely cautious with pre-flight checks, on flight checks, choosing the correct location, interference problems, wires, low light, low GPS stuff...

Sooo... how to start...
I was one of the guys who bought the original Mavic Mini (1) back in November 2019, waited for a long time, and suffered like most users a massive delay... When the MINI arrived I loved it, I actually made lots of flights (over 100) and enjoyed the experience a lot while learning and mastering the moves.

Due to Covid-19, I didnt fly a lot, and sadly on April the 25th, after the big manual video settings update I took the MINI for a short flight and crashed it against a palm tree in my back garden... nothing to blame the drone for, basically I missjudged the distance and when I realised the trajectory it was too late... Not the biggest impact, not too high and not going too fast, but still the impact broke one of the front arms.

Thankfully I had DJI Care so I used it and after a month I recieved my replacement.
I made a few test flights with the new drone on the 5th of June and everything was fine.
In July I moved to a new home, which needs lots of repairs, so again didn't have much time to fly.
On Agust the 17th I wanted to do a Roof inspection with the Mini, since the roof needed repairs but didnt want to claim and risk falling. Lots of compass and IMU errors made me nervous so ended up not doing the roof inspection.

The wheather has been great lately, cold (10 degrees Celsius), but no wind, great visibility, green nature... so last night (30-12-2020) decided to charge batteries, make all firmware upgrades neccesary, batteries, drone, controller, APP... and preppare for a nice flight.
I noticed an IMU callibration needed, so did it in a flat, metal free zone, temperature is almost the same inside the house than outside, yes cold due to holes everywhere and windows missing. So temperature difference is not the case here... after callibrations did a small flight inside the house... no problem at all...
When outside, GPS locked 12-14 Sattelites... home point updated and all fine.
Did checklist, moving forward, backwards, left, right, up, down, spin left and spin right... and suddently, by itself, the Mini did two backflips ending smashed in the floor.
Arm broken, proppelers broken, gimbal broken...
My wife was whatching and said "WHAT THE F..K??!!"

In a way this is the sadest and funniest way to finish a weird 2020...

I am extremely dissapointed, because after my first crash, I lost a lot of confidence, which gained slowly and thought it was OK, since this is a NEW drone...
My feeling when the new MINI 2 came out was... great, it is exactly what all users asked the MINI 1 to be, but all the "entry level, Toy drone, begginers, not steping on bigger drone sales"... comments from DJI staff aswel as some fanboys, said the MINI 1 was what it was... if you want more upgrade...

My feeling, is that DJI noticed some major issues with the MINI1, not powerful enough motors, some sort of compass problems, some barometer problems, and thanks to all the help from guys like me reporting on the forum, climbs drops from sky, sending Logs etc. gave them enough info to release a non faulty MINI2... added the 4K option just to justify the upgrade... and forget about all of us MINI1 users.

I have participated widely in the forum before I even got my drone, helped users, sent logs etc. Since my first crash, not any more... I have the feeling I am supporting a brand which only focuss in profit, not in customer satisfaction, not to say customer support help... which is nearly non existent... they will never accept there is something wrong with the MINI1 ... many experienced users said that.

Sorry for my rant, but I had enough.
I will post here link to flight Log, but it seems some how affected, I can see info on the airdata site, but on the phantom help website there is no info...
I will be sending Logs and stuff to DJI Bot Support get my replacement with DJI Care, and sell it.
This is the end of my relationship with DJI Products.

FLIGHT LOGS:
PhantomHelp Log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/KXJYGQRKF8DOFFCA0502
LOG from Airdata (original file): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xTDVpogMcTxEF1kLAhyBHu7reR30A-nr/view?usp=sharing
Original DAT Log exported from DJI ASsistant 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FT0ChYc_QYIj4fT9n4KViC_MdNgNpj9X/view?usp=sharing

Happy 2021 to everybody.

Broken arm

Broken arm

broken props

broken props

broken gimbal

broken gimbal
2020-12-31
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

Sorry for your loss.  You have my sincere condolences.  And I certainly understand your frustration  I hope you can get a warranty replacement ASAP because it sounds like a fault with the Mini.  Two backflips?  I would love to see a video of that craziness.

2020-12-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I will post here link to flight Log, but it seems some how affected, I can see info on the airdata site, but on the phantom help website there is no info...
That's because V1.2.2 of the app uses different encryption for the flight data.
Airdata shows more but also misses a lot of the data too.
2020-12-31
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry Gadget

Log into Airdata and copy and paste share link to this forum. Some data better than none.Your link to dropbox only shows encrypted txt file.
2020-12-31
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

As already said...in phantomhelp simply click "Download Flight Log" and unpack the zip

2020-12-31
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Crash is always a sad story. I understand that You are disappointed, I feel the same about Mini (a bit unfinished kit - motors, propellers, with oldschool wifi remote) but I like my Air2...
2020-12-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

The Duck Posted at 12-31 07:01
Sorry for your loss.  You have my sincere condolences.  And I certainly understand your frustration  I hope you can get a warranty replacement ASAP because it sounds like a fault with the Mini.  Two backflips?  I would love to see a video of that craziness.

Hi, yes totally weird.
I mean I did lots of testing with the climbs and drops a while ago, have several posts with the info, logs etc.

Never have real issues with the MINI other than having difficulty to see it, its just too small, silent and ... white... against the sky hard to see... also bird attacks, but I allways managed to see the danger and land quickly... move to another location and stay safe...

Today, take off with 0 problem, did flicght checks, then two backflips at extreme speed, even the motors sounded like crazy...

Sadly no footage, I was ctually waiting a bit since there was a small amount of condensation in the lense, totally normal with camera lenses that go from one temperature to a colder one... so after the flight check I left it there hoovering, and checking exposure settings, I was a few seconds to start the flight but then... I heard the motors increasing speed and boom...

All I have is some footage of the drone already crashed, and the gimbal going mad... I wish I did record it but oh well... that is why Logs exist.
Thanks for the sentiment. Will post my responses from DJI and what they have to say.
Happy new year!
2020-12-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Labroides Posted at 12-31 07:23
I will post here link to flight Log, but it seems some how affected, I can see info on the airdata site, but on the phantom help website there is no info...
That's because V1.2.2 of the app uses different encryption for the flight data.
Airdata shows more but also misses a lot of the data too.

Thanks for the info.
2020-12-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Pleomax Posted at 12-31 08:05
Sorry Gadget

Log into Airdata and copy and paste share link to this forum. Some data better than none.Your link to dropbox only shows encrypted txt file.

Hello and thanks!
I'm going to do that right now.
Happy new year!
2020-12-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

jonny007 Posted at 12-31 09:24
As already said...in phantomhelp simply click "Download Flight Log" and unpack the zip

[view_image]

Hello, I see now, I just downloaded and will post in a minute.
Hoping a good new 2021 year!
2020-12-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

virtual Posted at 12-31 09:33
Crash is always a sad story. I understand that You are disappointed, I feel the same about Mini (a bit unfinished kit - motors, propellers, with oldschool wifi remote) but I like my Air2...

Hello,
I actually love the specs of the Mavic Air 2.
For me, living in the south of Spain and being unemployed with all this pandemic craziness... the Mavic Mini 1 was a relatively big expense...
500euros at the time was a big investment hard to justify to family and wife...
Spending another 500 for the Air2 combo seems a big much, but then as a profesional photographer I really need RAW, a 48MB camera is a big plus, and shooting 4K 60fps with also a Log profile a very tempting drone... guess I will have to start saving lol
Thanks for the input and happy new year!
2020-12-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ouch.........
2020-12-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Sooo...
Here is the new Log downloaded from airdata, even if there appears empty.
This is the URL of the airdata website: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/I15AFUDVECZZEKXMZ9ME/
This is the google drive link updated and accessible for non registered users: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... nr/view?usp=sharing
Below the image of empty log in airdata:
Thanks everybody for the help.

2020-12-31
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-31 09:44
Hello,
I actually love the specs of the Mavic Air 2.
For me, living in the south of Spain and being unemployed with all this pandemic craziness... the Mavic Mini 1 was a relatively big expense...

New EU regulations makes flying MA2 a bit harder (registration and online test) but I really like how MA2 works for me.
Couldn't be problem in condensed water? I have to calibrate the compass today on Mini as well but flight was OK.
2020-12-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi InspektorGadjet, I'm sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. Please contact our support team via http://www.dji.com/support to open a case and send it in for service. We'll do our best to help this out.
Happy New Year and hope everything goes smoothly.
2020-12-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

virtual Posted at 2020-12-31 11:53
New EU regulations makes flying MA2 a bit harder (registration and online test) but I really like how MA2 works for me.
Couldn't be problem in condensed water? I have to calibrate the compass today on Mini as well but flight was OK.

Hi, I've had condensation before and it is a completely normal thing in cameras.
The design of the drone should be capable of handling that and way worse.
Will keep investigating about new EU rules.
2021-1-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 2020-12-31 18:49
Hi InspektorGadjet, I'm sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. Please contact our support team via http://www.dji.com/support to open a case and send it in for service. We'll do our best to help this out.
Happy New Year and hope everything goes smoothly.

I will do not worry.
Anything to say about us Mini 1 users? Another Mini in only a year or less?
What about all of the replies saying the Mini would not have 4K cause it would affect Mavic Air sales?
What about "not enough power" errors from the motors?

2021-1-1
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-1 04:39
I will do not worry.
Anything to say about us Mini 1 users? Another Mini in only a year or less?
What about all of the replies saying the Mini would not have 4K cause it would affect Mavic Air sales?

There are rumors that another Mini will appear, which will firstly receive a C0 label (necessary from now on) and secondly possibly contain obstacle detection. There have already been rumors in this regard that this was already intended for the Mini2, but it was removed again (therefore 242 grams or so). As said ... rumors.
2021-1-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

jonny007 Posted at 1-1 05:06
There are rumors that another Mini will appear, which will firstly receive a C0 label (necessary from now on) and secondly possibly contain obstacle detection. There have already been rumors in this regard that this was already intended for the Mini2, but it was removed again (therefore 242 grams or so). As said ... rumors.

Interesting to know...
I really hope other manufacturers appear soon to contribute to drone development.
Monopoly isn't a good thing in any field.
Skydio, Autel, Husban, Anafi...
2021-1-1
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

jonny007 Posted at 1-1 05:06
There are rumors that another Mini will appear, which will firstly receive a C0 label (necessary from now on) and secondly possibly contain obstacle detection. There have already been rumors in this regard that this was already intended for the Mini2, but it was removed again (therefore 242 grams or so). As said ... rumors.

I wasn't interested in Mini 2 but C0 label and OA could change my mind...
2021-1-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-1 04:39
I will do not worry.
Anything to say about us Mini 1 users? Another Mini in only a year or less?

Mavic Mini will not support 4K resolution as it's hardware, the camera processor, doesn't support it. DJI Mini 2 camera support's 4K resolution.
Regarding the "not enough power" error on motors, if it is the Motor Speed Error, please refer to the solution mentioned at this post https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &extra=page%3D1
Thank you.
2021-1-1
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Sorry for the crash mate ...
2021-1-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

virtual Posted at 1-1 12:49
I wasn't interested in Mini 2 but C0 label and OA could change my mind...

For the price I'm seriously considering the fimi x8 se 2020.
2021-1-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 1-1 23:08
Mavic Mini will not support 4K resolution as it's hardware, the camera processor, doesn't support it. DJI Mini 2 camera support's 4K resolution.
Regarding the "not enough power" error on motors, if it is the Motor Speed Error, please refer to the solution mentioned at this post https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214705&extra=page%3D1
Thank you.

That is just not true.
The mini chipsets allows 4K, is the cooling implemented by DJI which is limiting the option.
The not enough power was fixed by including more powerful motors.
2021-1-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JetSam Posted at 1-2 02:01
Sorry for the crash mate ...

Thanks, I have to say after crashing once, another crash is not as heart breaking.
2021-1-2
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-2 03:43
For the price I'm seriously considering the fimi x8 se 2020.

TBH I don't plan to buy another drone. But the 250g mark is (or will be) interesting for me, keeping in mind new EU regulations. To fly MA2 in A1 (C1 label needed) would be best option IMPOV, if it will be possible.
2021-1-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

virtual Posted at 1-2 05:36
TBH I don't plan to buy another drone. But the 250g mark is (or will be) interesting for me, keeping in mind new EU regulations. To fly MA2 in A1 (C1 label needed) would be best option IMPOV, if it will be possible.

Yeah I'm  still not 100% familiar with the new EU rules, other than flying over people and maximum height ... I found the mini enough for me to be honest even the 1st model, but between the easy struggle with wind and the overall unreliability of the drone... I mean if this last crash happened with people around it somebody could get hurt... Or sue me...
2021-1-2
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Hello InspektorGadjet, I am sorry to hear about your incident.

If you could retrieve a valid flight log you could show it to DJI (and us) and possibly have it covered under warranty. It seems like an IMU problem.
2021-1-5
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

m80116 Posted at 1-5 05:48
Hello InspektorGadjet, I am sorry to hear about your incident.

If you could retrieve a valid flight log you could show it to DJI (and us) and possibly have it covered under warranty. It seems like an IMU problem.

Hello!
Well as far as I'm concerned, the Log is OK, is the phantom help site that doesn't recognize the new Mini format. In fact, the airdata site shows all info correctly.

I managed to extract the .dat  file from DJI assistant 2 too, which I will send to DJI as soon as I have time.
Support  is only active up to 7 and is been hard for me lately.

I have the feeling it will be covered for sure, otherwise I still have care refresh.
I will post stats as it starts to change.
Happy new year!
2021-1-5
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-5 11:29
Hello!
Well as far as I'm concerned, the Log is OK, is the phantom help site that doesn't recognize the new Mini format. In fact, the airdata site shows all info correctly.

Happy new year to you InspecktorGadjet.

While I can't see anything in your airdata link (data appears to be missing) I can certainly suggest you a couple of items should you be able to carry on with the Mini.

For example this cheap and effective bracing for the legs (to prevent cracking)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001317178435.html

or the most expensive (but I think it's worth it) gimbal/camera assembly protector
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001621823653.html

Things I am buying for myself for when I'll resume flying

Good luck for you and your Mini.
2021-1-6
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

m80116 Posted at 1-6 13:25
Happy new year to you InspecktorGadjet.

While I can't see anything in your airdata link (data appears to be missing) I can certainly suggest you a couple of items should you be able to carry on with the Mini.

Thanks and happy new year to you too.
Those addons look super useful, will definitely get them if I dont sell the mini.
The camera cover seem very useful too for glares.
2021-1-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I feel your pain. I've had my Mini 1 repaired - replaced cracked landing leg - and it's been fine since (touch wood)
2021-1-7
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Blériot53 Posted at 1-7 05:04
I feel your pain. I've had my Mini 1 repaired - replaced cracked landing leg - and it's been fine since (touch wood)

Thanks.
My "touch wood" feeling just makes the whole thing much less enjoyable, then there is the fear the drone could crash over people or properties and cause other issues.
Let see what happens with my replacement.
2021-1-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any news on your replacement yet?
2021-2-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-2 09:40
Any news on your replacement yet?

Hello,
It has been in "damage assestment" for a few days now...
Eager to know what their investigation of my flight data tells them.
2021-2-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Update as today 04/02/2021
DJI has contacted me informing that the drone did indeed malfunctioned and I will be having a repair free of charge.

In one hand that is good news, cause basically I dont have to pay for it... but in the other hand it confirms my suspicions and worries.
The drone is malfuncioning without any reason.
What it did in my backgarden it could have happened above water, loose the drone and never have it back.
It could happened in the city and end up on top of a building or damage somebodys property, causing me a big problem.
It could also end up on somebodys head, causing even more legal problems.

I asked support if I can pay an extra fee, and get a replacement for MINI2 instead of original MINI, since only a year later, the MINI 2 seems to have adressed most MINI 1 problems.
Of course this is in their opinion not possible, so instead they have a very unhappy customer.
Really considering selling it after recieving... problem is nothing really offers a similar camera spec wise. Not really happy about the idea of not having a drone at all...
Oh well...
2021-2-4
Use props
ThalisBl
lvl.4
United Kingdom

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2-4 04:04
Update as today 04/02/2021
DJI has contacted me informing that the drone did indeed malfunctioned and I will be having a repair free of charge.
[view_image]

I totally agree with your opinion about Mini. I think it was like a 'pre-finished' product for DJI and the Mini 2 is like a 'final' product.
Personally I bought the mini just in the beginning of March and due all this pandemic disaster I flew it seriously very little, so I sort of regret my purchase.
I think DJI should accept your request and with some little extra money replace your damaged Mini with the Mini2, but I know it is no such hope.
Also I must tell that some youtubers have gimbal & connection problems with the Mini 2 which proves that no drone is perfect
2021-2-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

ThalisBl Posted at 2-4 09:00
I totally agree with your opinion about Mini. I think it was like a 'pre-finished' product for DJI and the Mini 2 is like a 'final' product.
Personally I bought the mini just in the beginning of March and due all this pandemic disaster I flew it seriously very little, so I sort of regret my purchase.
I think DJI should accept your request and with some little extra money replace your damaged Mini with the Mini2, but I know it is no such hope.

I understand how you may be feeling... I flew the mini a lot before the pandemic, after that only 2 times, both with a crash... so not happy at all...

I mean for me the mini was near perfection when advertised... I thought some missing stuff like manual settings on video would be added later, which they did. But I also thought after hearing users they would allow RAW photos, maybe some Flat (ish) video profile even if not Log, just having control specially over sharpening which is quite strong out of the camera. 4K not really an issue for me, but since they stated "Mini is just begginer drone, if you want 4K upgrade to Air..." that statement just died after their release of the Mini 2.

Then with the release of the MINI 2 only after a year, specially with "improved" motors, 4K, occusync... but sharing 100% identical frame, body enclosure etc. it's not conspiracy, is a fact, the MINI 2 is basically what the MINI 1 should have been in the very first place...

I personally said to support I don't mind paying 100-200 euros extra... which is not a small amount... only because I feel the Mini 2 may offer me better user experience, less crashes, less motors erros... rather than selling the MINI 1 and buy the 2 which basically is 100-200 euros more...

Considering my own experience when the MINI 1 launched, the experience was a disaster... Official sellers saying they have no stock and DJI would not tell them when... waiting for ages... then mobile Phone compatibility issues...  then compass errors, compass APP not working, Not Enough Force errors constancly, then swap propperlers, then lost signal issues... never ending... and more importantly the fly experience becoming a very unsafe one.

For those who can afford not only bigger drones, but latest top of the line smartphones etc. and which normally consider me or us users who complain about something "moaners"... no I'm not complaining I'm just not a fanboy of any brand, and just sharing my personal experience with other users.
2021-2-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

UPDATE:
Drone has been shipped.

Quite shocked that I wanted to know the Damage Assestment results, and why did the drone behaved like it did... I asked support to please inform me, but they just shipped the unit back.
Also the camera gimbal was totally destroyed... but it was not within the report stating the different affected parts after the crash, only arms and main body... I hope this is just an error and they did replace it.

The main thing here for me is that, the drone is only over a year old now, had 2 flights in 2020, about 3 minutes in total... both with a crash which could easily happen over people, water etc...
Am I suposse to feel safe?
If it's fixed under warranty it basically means the drone is faulty and did not behaved normally... so did they send me something broken, or that did not perform as expected?
Am I not entitled to return the drone due to the aircraft being unsafe, and not performing as advertised?

I really gave the whole DJI hype a try, I've been extreme cautious and following the law, pre-flight checks, on flight checks, after flight checks...
2021-2-4
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

I think you should give the Mini a second try, should it not behave as expected you can still sell it for parts or use it for parts yourself, maybe combining your Mini's body with a new MB and have parts to spare.
2021-2-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules