FAA Remote ID Requirement
4039 6 2020-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bruceohio
lvl.1

United States

Newbie here...     So I am about to purchase a DJI Mavic 2 Pro for our real estate photography business in Jan 2021.  
While doing research I just learned of new FAA requirements for USA which include this provision - "Under the new regulations, manufacturers will have to implement remote ID in their drones by 2022 and drone operators will have to have their drones in compliance by 2023" .   

So my concern is that I invest close to $3000 (all in) and 2-3 years from now my Mavic will not be in compliance.  Should I assume DJI will have a retrofit?  Should I wait until the new Mavic Pro Model release which may include this Remote ID feature?  Can anyone here from DJI comment?  I'm sure this is a concern for all Drone users but I'm trying to get ahead of the curve.

Hre's the article whch caight my interest.   https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/faa-releases-long-awaited-changes-to-surging-drone-industry
2020-12-31
Use props
Planner68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1194662 ft
United States

Here's another discussion about Remote ID.  Check out the reply from DJI Paladin.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D572%26typeid%3D572
2020-12-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The FAA will not force you to retrofit the feature if it requires new hardware, they will just make it mandatory on all new models manufactured past a certain date. If it simply requires a software update (highly likely) then it won't matter anyway.
2020-12-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2020-12-31 18:11
The FAA will not force you to retrofit the feature if it requires new hardware, they will just make it mandatory on all new models manufactured past a certain date. If it simply requires a software update (highly likely) then it won't matter anyway.

They actually gave 3 options, one of which was to add a remote id module to an existing craft.
2021-1-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It might be cheaper for you to hire a drone pilot for these jobs and save yourself the headache of buying a drone and passing the part 107 exam to be able to fly it commercially.
2021-1-1
Use props
bruceohio
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-1 02:03
It might be cheaper for you to hire a drone pilot for these jobs and save yourself the headache of buying a drone and passing the part 107 exam to be able to fly it commercially.

Well that's where we are today. We did over 150 interior real estate jobs in 2020 and hired out those who would be suitable for drone pictures.  Doing the math we could re-coop the cost of the drone within a year and possibly pick up new business.  
2021-1-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bruceohio Posted at 1-1 04:38
Well that's where we are today. We did over 150 interior real estate jobs in 2020 and hired out those who would be suitable for drone pictures.  Doing the math we could re-coop the cost of the drone within a year and possibly pick up new business.

But you also have to recoup the cost of the training and part 107 exams etc.
2021-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules