1226 5 2021-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneAge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55108 ft
Australia

Hi and Happy New Year

I have seen a few posts that say the charging hub will automatically discharge the batteries after a few days. I have been unable to find documetation to prove this though.

Unfortunately this has not been the case for me. To counter the issue I decided to use the hub as a power bank and discharge my batteries this way. The end result is that the charging hub discharges one battery at a time and unfortunately the battery has been discharged down to no lights showing on the charging hub. I didnt continue after this of course.

I took all batteries except for the dead flat one out of the hub, plugged in to charge the battery and after about 10 minutes the battery started showing lights on the charging hub.

My fear is that using the charging hub as a power bank will significantly reduce the life of the batteries if used this way due to over discharging the packs. More so if you leave it unattended to discharge for several hours and it does this to all the packs.

Can anyone shed some light on the auto discharging (storage mode) of the packs in the hub and the safety of using this charging hub as a power bank? DJI call them Intellegent Flight Batteries but I have yet to see these characteristics like the other Intellegent Flight Batteries from my other DJI drones.

2021-1-1
Use props
itzeig
lvl.2
Germany

the batteries dischage itself to ~70% after serveral days. But only if you did't touch them! If you check the battery status by pressing the power button of the hub, the countdown to discharge resets itself.

If you like to use the hub as powerbank, of course it will reduce the lifespan. Because you are using the batteries! The hub charge and discharges sequential. It's totally fine so.
2021-1-1
Use props
DroneAge
lvl.2
Australia

I understand that using a battery will reduce the lifespan of the battery but discharging a battery until it is below its cutoff voltage as is the case with using the charging hub as a power bank will severely shorten the lifespan and sooner than later cause premature failure of the pack. This is a point of failure for the Mini 2 battery packs and I highly do not recommend using the charging hub as a power bank as this is what happens, more so as it will do it to all packs in the charging hub.

It is strange that you suggest that it is totally fine to discharge a lithium battery to below its cutoff voltage but I'll take your word for it.

2021-1-2
Use props
djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1476125 ft
United States

These are lipo and li-ion battery’s. Storing  it fully charged will never ever ever harm them from the duration that I am strongly assuming lapses between you using them. I see you have many flights before you which makes me think these are not being put away for the winter. The only time I would recommend storing them a little drained would be if they were going to be stored in your vehicle where they would be subject to some heat.heat and lipo’s don’t mix. There is absolutely no worry’s about storing these battery’s fully charged for even a week at a time. A lot of these practices come from the old nickel metal battery’s we used to have. On using as a chargeing  hub,I use it on a streamlight stinger hL flashlight To charge a nickel metal hydride and a li-ion battery stick. The hub only charges one battery at a time as well as discharges.and it uses the most charged one first, and also will charge the most charged one first.all on its own. I use the aircraft to charge a battery as well as one in the hub. These battery’s will far out-last the life of the drone, regardless how you treat them. When flying in cold weather, you do want to make sure you start the flight with the battery warmed up a little, you can simply put them on your belt line on your side for a couple minutes against your skin, works well. Fly safe bro. And don’t worry about harming the cycle life of these little things. I have old phantom battery’s I have been abusing for years.good luck.
2021-1-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Don't use the hub as a power bank, you don't want to waste battery cycles charging your phone, just buy a dedicated powerbank, they are inexpensive compared to the price of a single mini 2 battery. The batteries will discharge/hibernate automatically when not in use.

If you plan not to use the drone in a while, leave the batteries at aprox 30% and check them every 3 months or so.

The charging hub used as a power bank cannot discharge the batteries under 3 volts, 0% in the hub is not really 0%, is 10% or so. When the batteries reach close to 3 volts they hibernate to prevent damage from low voltage.

Only midflight you can discharge the batteries to aprox real 0%, but still not 0%. Allways land before 20%, 0-20% is just for emergencies, try to land at 30% and just swap batteries.

You can see that info in the hub and battery instructions here: https://www.dji.com/es/mini-2/downloads
2021-1-2
Use props
DroneAge
lvl.2
Australia

djiuser_WpD2lOJLRBIJ

I live in the South so i prefer to cool my packs before use. 41 degrees centigrade yesterday 31 at 7 am this morning. I also have my F450, Phantom 2 and 3 and Spark and the packs for the P2 are showing signs of degenerating life span. A bit like me.

Huginn Kenningar

My only intention was to use the Charging Hub as a power bank to discharge my packs that I wasn't going to use for a few weeks and to test the waters to see if it can be used as such.  I could have just run the motors on the kitchen counter to discharge the packs but I chose the recommended by DJI other safer method.

Like you and I have said we do not recommend using the charge hub as a power bank.

And FYI These Mini 2 packs are LiHv. LVC should be 3.85 volts per cell 7.7 total nominal volts, mine was well below this 3 volts per cell (checked with DVM) after discharging using the Charge Hub.

2021-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules