Just got my Mini 2!
999 12 2021-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Hurrah! Tonight was the grand unpacking of Mini 2 Fly more combo (which in my heart is a Mavic Mini 2). Perfectly thought-out accessory bag, battery charger (and power bank!), a nice controller (it'll take some time getting used to phone at the top and the absence of the information screen). I like the props holder - a really nice touch.

I was amazed at how small and light Mini 2 is. Even expecting it, that came as a surprise. It felt like holding a hamster after years of having a rabbit for a pet.
Mavic  Pro is still more robust as has more fail-safes, so it should be safer to fly in the vicinity of people, than a Mini 2. But with the new regulations, Mavic Pro is relegated to A3 (I'll probably take the A2 exam come spring), and Mini 2 takes its place as the everyday camera with an altitude.

The colour of the body could have been darker. The light-grey will be harder to see against blue or grey sky, than Mavic Pro. The white led stip (colour-configurable) was a nice surprise. That should help with visibility.

Having update the quad and the controller, as well as all the three bateries, I now did some home-testing, but limiting to only an idle start of the engines and otherwise testing with engines off.

One thing that presented a problem was the choice of a microSD card. I have a selection of cards, all verified and in perfect working condition. I started with the card I use with Mavic Pro, a Kingston 64GB SCXC C10 U1 (10MB/s). Mini 2 came up with a card read error. Thinking it had something to do with the size, changed to a Kingston 32GB SDHC C10 U1 (10MB/s). Same error message. Inserted then a Kingston SDHC marked with C4. This is a slower 4MB/s card, but Mini 2 recognised it as valid, though giving a warning that the card is slow. Luckily, I had one last card that Mini 2 was perfectly happy with - a SanDisk 16GB SDHC U3 (30MB/s). The capacity is too low for a day out filming - only about 24 minutes of 4K footage, so I have some more shopping to do - probably 2 more 32GB cards to change between flights as I am not sure Muni 2 supports 64GB?

The Fly app is for the most part intuitive and easy to use, though it would be nice to have the remaining flight time indication bar (colour-coded, where the time to home and critical zone were easy to spot at a glance without additional taps) and the compass (with pilot/home point as the origin) as they were in Go app.

I'll see if I manage to take it up for a short flight in the backyard during the week-end (sub-0 temperatures here, which should not be a big problem for warm batteries and a few minutes in the air)

2021-1-8
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

congrats; the mini 2 is truly a fine drone and is double anything the mini 1 could ever be.  take a look at some of the skins that are already available for mini 2.  i don't like the overly light whitish colour so i took care of that really fast.
2021-1-8
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

The Saint Posted at 1-8 13:37
congrats; the mini 2 is truly a fine drone and is double anything the mini 1 could ever be.  take a look at some of the skins that are already available for mini 2.  i don't like the overly light whitish colour so i took care of that really fast.

Thanks! Good point about the skins. Hopefully they are lighter than the remaining 1 gramme
2021-1-8
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Yes you can use a 64GB SD card, I believe mine is 256GB or 512GB, I hope you enjoy!
2021-1-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Congrats and thanks for sharing your initial feedback, BumblerBee.

If you're still looking for an SD card, we recommend checking the following. Hope this helps.
2021-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome to the club.  
2021-1-9
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like SanDisk is a safe choice for a given speed factor. I'll probably go for a couple of 64GB cards. I don't like having too much footage on one card, a practivc I have from the DSLR photography
2021-1-9
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Another question, which I know that a DJI mod will advise against. Has anyone tried one of these CPL/ND filters with Mini 2 or any other make?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera- ... -Drone/174520978060

On Mavic Pro I basically always fly with either ND4 or ND8 on (sometimes going for ND16). there I use both PolarPro and DJI's own filters.
2021-1-9
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

The Saint Posted at 1-8 13:37

This might do the trick, neon red should be visible against most backgrounds, significantly increasing VLOS range.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-MIN ... e-Foil/174519010523
2021-1-9
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

I did my first two flights with Mini 2 outside. Flew two half batteries (landing at about 50% charge to be safe as we had -5C outside, otherwise calm and sunny). I tested all the modes and RTH. All seems to be in working order. Sports gave men a top speed of 57.7 km/h; RTH was almost perfect, the descent started about 1.5 off from the take-off point and would have touched either part of the house roof or the wall, so it is definitely important to closely monitor RTH descent and make adjustments or cancel it (unlike with Mavic Pro). Smooth controls. The image quality is excellent, while JPEG photos could have shown a little less conmpression/sensor artefacts (I'll see if I can tweak any settings or if I am too demanding, compared to what Mavic Pro could do)

Incidentally, why doesn't the profile here show Mini 2 yet? Fly app is set to auto-sync, and it counted the 4 flights (2 today and 2 in-house take-offs yesterday) in addition to the flight I had in the go app.
2021-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

enjoy, its a pretty good all round capable drone.
2021-1-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on getting the Mini 2.  For it's size it is still a very capable drone.  Sometimes it takes a day or two for the Mini2 to show below your avatar.  
2021-1-9
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Here is a picture I took during today's flight. It's the same image, downsampled to 50% and saved at level 9 JPEG. The darker one is what Mini 2 recorded to JPEG, while the liter one is what I could process from the DNG raw file. There is also some distortion correction in the JPEG version, though the way the image presented in DNG seems more natural. All in all, pretty good for such demanding lighting conditions of the northern winter Sun.

DJI_0009_direct.jpg
DJI_0009_from_raw.jpg
2021-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules