12 v. Charging
2023 14 2021-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJWacko
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126729 ft
Australia

Has anyone got the car charger? My wife and I do a lot of free camping in our caravan so wondering the best way to charge the Air 2 when off grid. Does the car charger charge as quick as mains power or am I better off getting an inverter to hook up to caravan battery? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
2021-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I can't say a lot about charging the MA2, I have a Mavic 2 Pro, but only use the supplied mains charger. But previously I had a P3 Pro and a charger that plugged into the cigarette lighter in the car. It was slightly slower than using the supplied mains charger.

If you do get the car charger for the Air 2, it will probably be much the same. There is not a lot of point in getting an inverter, as there is a massive inefficiency in charging that way, but if you do decide to go that way, make sure you buy a proper sine-wave output inverter, because the charger will hate the cheaper square-wave inverter.
2021-1-8
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Here in the USA, the Hanatora charger is popular (I have one, works great). It's powered by AC or DC, charges up to 4 batteries simultaneously, and has a "Storage mode" setting to charge/discharge the battery to ~55% for long term storage.

Amazon AU Link - Hanatora Battery Home Charger & Car Charger for DJI Mavic Air 2 Drone,5 in 1 Rapid Charging Hub with Charging and Storage
2021-1-8
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you get a cheap inverter you'll just end up keeping your batteries warm; they'll never charge up
2021-1-8
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 1-8 18:41
I can't say a lot about charging the MA2, I have a Mavic 2 Pro, but only use the supplied mains charger. But previously I had a P3 Pro and a charger that plugged into the cigarette lighter in the car. It was slightly slower than using the supplied mains charger.

If you do get the car charger for the Air 2, it will probably be much the same. There is not a lot of point in getting an inverter, as there is a massive inefficiency in charging that way, but if you do decide to go that way, make sure you buy a proper sine-wave output inverter, because the charger will hate the cheaper square-wave inverter.

Thanks for your advice , l was thinking about 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter as the caravan has sufficient battery power. But more expensive than car charger.. cheers
2021-1-8
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Australia

Pappy3 Posted at 1-8 18:44
Here in the USA, the Hanatora charger is popular (I have one, works great). It's powered by AC or DC, charges up to 4 batteries simultaneously, and has a "Storage mode" setting to charge/discharge the battery to ~55% for long term storage.

Amazon AU Link - Hanatora Battery Home Charger & Car Charger for DJI Mavic Air 2 Drone,5 in 1 Rapid Charging Hub with Charging and Storage

Awesome thanks for that , definitely going to look into that. Sounds perfect.
2021-1-8
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 1-8 20:18
if you get a cheap inverter you'll just end up keeping your batteries warm; they'll never charge up

Yeah I was thinking of a victory pure sine wave inverter . Probably a 1200 watt. Few more dollars than a car charger though.
2021-1-8
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 1-8 20:18

Yeah I was thinking of a victron  pure sine wave inverter . Probably a 1200 watt. Few more dollars than a car charger though.
2021-1-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the Hanatora charger mentioned in Post 3 and it works perfectly.  
2021-1-9
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Pappy3 Posted at 1-8 18:44
Here in the USA, the Hanatora charger is popular (I have one, works great). It's powered by AC or DC, charges up to 4 batteries simultaneously, and has a "Storage mode" setting to charge/discharge the battery to ~55% for long term storage.

I have the Hanatora charger and have used the AC (110V) function to charge and discharge batteries.  Read the instructions closely...when charging you insert the batteries into the charger with the battery power off...when discharging you turn the battery on and then insert it into the charger.  I have not used the 12V (car) feature yet.
2021-1-9
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good information on the Hanatora, thanks! I need to pick one up when traveling and was researching how folks charge up without having to bring extra batteries.

Would love to hear feedback on the DC charge.

2021-1-9
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-9 07:14
I have the Hanatora charger mentioned in Post 3 and it works perfectly.

I like the idea of simultaneously charging multiple batteries while at home or on the go.  Do you know if the Hanatora will fit in the Fly More Combo bag with the batteries?
2021-1-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-9 09:56
I like the idea of simultaneously charging multiple batteries while at home or on the go.  Do you know if the Hanatora will fit in the Fly More Combo bag with the batteries?

Never tried it as I have a travel bag to hold my DSLR camera, lens, drones, etc so I don't use the combo bag.
2021-1-10
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looking at the charger specs/dimensions, I doubt it will fit in the fly more combo bag. At that point it's probably safe to pack it separately or upgrade the bag size.
2021-1-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-9 09:56
I like the idea of simultaneously charging multiple batteries while at home or on the go.  Do you know if the Hanatora will fit in the Fly More Combo bag with the batteries?

No, it will not fit.  As I recall, the combo bag is pretty much maxed out with RC, MA2 and batts.  The charger not only has the unit that four batteries attach to but also the converter that changes 120-240 AC to 12V DC.
719CeLznH5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
2021-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules