**VIDEO** - Pulsing gimbal motor and cracked screw holes with 10 hours of fli...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NoOne3000
lvl.2

United States

Issues with my DJI Phantom 3 Advanced with a little over 10 hours on it which was first used on 5/22/2015.  This unit has never crashed or has been abused and is mostly hand caught in landings.

1.  Pulsing gimbal motor which causes vibration in my videos when the pulsing occurs.  
2.  Small crack on the gimbal arm, however this may be a molding imperfection.
3.  Cracked screw holes on the body shell arms that are worsening by the day.  See here for more details - http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... /page-5#post-438268

This is very disappointing for a product that I have used for a little over 10 hours, first used on 5/22/2015.

I'm really hoping DJI will rectify this situation.

2015-7-3
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

pulsating gimbal motors need some sort of  adjustment/calibration in factory, you cant do much about it.  
2015-7-4
Use props
NoOne3000
lvl.2

United States

That's disspointing.
2015-7-4
Use props
rob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 571690 ft
United Kingdom

Not seeing it on mine yet, hope I don't see it either :/ be nice if DJi redesigned a new case for all owners that wont have the cracking issue as im sure in more time this will become regular posts on the forum
2015-7-4
Use props
NoOne3000
lvl.2

United States

My main issue is the pulsing on my gimbal.  That's preventing me from shooting good videos since my footage vibrates every 2 seconds when recording now.  Anyone know how I can self fix that?
2015-7-4
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

If memory serves, I think that's a point on the gimbal where two pieces are coming together.  Not sure if it's a defect.  I can't see your crack.  Maybe it is.

As far as the plastic under the motor,  yes.  It will get worse.   I have posted pictures of mine.  It started with the cracking around the hole and then it spread to between motor mounts.   It's just a matter of time until the motor comes off on mine.   No crashes, just normal use.    I think there should be a recall on all these.    More and more people are coming forth with the cracks.   You guys monitor those areas and inspect them after your flights.   
Evidently, better motors were used on the phantom 3 but from the looks of comparison pictures between the phantom 2 and phantom 3,  they didn't do much to make the arms stronger

Here's mine.  Started at the screw hole.   I tried to put CA glue to arrest the crack but it progressed anyway to the center under the motor

http://youtu.be/g7XAWYQ2kKk

2015-7-4
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-5 02:05
If memory serves, I think that's a point on the gimabal where two pieces are coming together.  Not s ...

I've posted on this before. If you purchase one of the sets of removable prop guards and just use the mounts, you can both bond and attach the motors with the screws, you've tripled the surface thickness to spread the load over a larger area.

It's been pointed out that DJI does not warranty the frame (shell), so if you decide to do a repair, it's not like it's going to void the warranty.
2015-7-4
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-5 02:20
I've posted on this before. If you purchase one of the sets of removable prop guards and just use  ...

What if your mother board dies?   If they see the case has been tapered with,  then might imply that opening it voids the entire warranty.    I appreciate the suggestion.   But I refuse to buy more DJI product to reinforce the integrity of the area.   It should have that integrity to begin with
2015-7-4
Use props
NoOne3000
lvl.2

United States

How about the pulsing gimbal I have.  The grinding noise every 2 seconds that causes my video to vibrate every 2 seconds?  Is there any DIY fix or adjustment I can do?
2015-7-4
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

NoOne3000 Posted at 2015-7-5 02:31
How about the pulsing gimbal I have.  The grinding noise every 2 seconds that causes my video to vib ...

Try current firmware.  Then do cold IMU calibration ( start the phantom and immediately select IMU calibration on the pilot app).  Then gimbal calibration.  
2015-7-4
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-5 02:27
What if your mother board dies?   If they see the case has been tapered with,  then might imply tha ...

I agree with not purchasing anymore DJI product.

Bonding the mounting plates doesn't require opening the quad up.. The mounting plates from the prop guards have locating tits that fit into the motor mounting holes. Some thickened epoxy between the arm and mounts and put the screws back into the motors till cured.
2015-7-4
Use props
NoOne3000
lvl.2

United States

What do you mean by try current firmware?  I have the latest. Can I somehow force it to reinstall that firmware version?
2015-7-4
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

NoOne3000 Posted at 2015-7-5 03:54
What do you mean by try current firmware?  I have the latest. Can I somehow force it to reinstall th ...

Current=latest.
2015-7-4
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Just curious, did you back out all of the screws on the bird and retighten them by hand? It has been suggested that the mechanical tools used on assembly may overtorque the screws. That combined with a thin shell, may be causing the problem.
2015-7-4
Use props
NoOne3000
lvl.2

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-7-5 11:07
Just curious, did you back out all of the screws on the bird and retighten them by hand? It has been ...

I think it's too late for that at this point since there are already cracks on every screw hole.

Does anyone else have a fix for the pulsing gimbal as heard in the beginning of this video?

Right now, my camera is trashed right now since all my videos have jello pulsing in them now.
2015-7-4
Use props
raulex22
lvl.2

Mexico

Look! I have the same problem since I got my p3a, after tons of mails they told me to call to dji us to get a repair, but after 5 phone calls and hours of waiting I cannot get some instructions to send them my phantom

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid159738
2015-7-4
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Send it in, you can't fix any gimble problems yourself, I'm sure they will do something about the shell too once dji gets it.. It would be real screwed up if they fixed your gimble but send it back to you with a motor ready to fall off... Come on people, stop talking negatively until you have sent your p3 into dji and then get it back repaired with a cracked shell and the motor ready to fall off
2015-7-4
Use props
raulex22
lvl.2

Mexico

NoOne3000 Posted at 2015-7-5 01:55
My main issue is the pulsing on my gimbal.  That's preventing me from shooting good videos since my  ...

Look! I have the same problem since I got my p3a, after tons of mails they told me to call to dji us to get a repair, but after 5 phone calls and hours of waiting I cannot get some instructions to send them my phantom

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid159738
2015-7-5
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

How about the pulsing gimbal I have.  The grinding noise every 2 seconds that causes my video to vib ...

no, mine had that grinding noise too every two secs, they repaired it. I also could feel the ribbon cable grinding ever so slightly, this is also gone now. Now the camera is super smooth to move and the camera points directly more than 90 degrees to the bottom when powered off. Before it stopped by 70 degree or so.So they changed something for sure. Try to set gimbal gain to 63 or play with it a bit and try different numbers. I dont mean gimbal wheel speed
2015-7-5
Use props
NoOne3000
lvl.2

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-7-5 23:12
no, mine had that grinding noise too every two secs, they repaired it. I also could feel the ribbo ...

None of those settings helped at all. The whole camera vibrates even when just sitting on the counter without the motors on. Then it vibrates/pulses even more intensely every 2 seconds giving that grinding noise.

Did I see you say in a post today that your gimbal turns out to still be broken even after warranty service?
2015-7-5
Use props
felixodiaz
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

I had that same problem after i crashed my bird, i inspected it a little closer and found out that the little black screw on the gimble arm came loose apparently with impact, causing that same grinding noise every 2 sec and very harsh vibration in video, i just tighten it a little and prob went away, hope this helps with your situation.
2015-7-5
Use props
NoOne3000
lvl.2

United States

felixodiaz Posted at 2015-7-6 09:52
I had that same problem after i crashed my bird, i inspected it a little closer and found out that ...

Thanks for the tip. I had already tried this after reading about it. The screw was already tight......
2015-7-5
Use props
Mooseshooz
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I had a similar issue, turned out to be a fault gimball, replaced by the store I bought it from, now no issues at all
2015-7-5
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

NoOne3000 Posted at 2015-7-6 08:45
None of those settings helped at all. The whole camera vibrates even when just sitting on the coun ...

Yes, i wrote that before i tested mine in the air. In the air i got gimbal motor overload messages every 10 secs, sometimes i was able to fly for a minute without those messages. On the ground it was ok, an improvement compared to the pre repair status but i guess thats useless in the end. In the air is what matters.
2015-7-6
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

NoOne3000 Posted at 2015-7-6 10:27
Thanks for the tip. I had already tried this after reading about it. The screw was already tight.. ...

maybe its to tight, someone in RCgroups forums said that i think. I dont know if i should try to repair it by myself
2015-7-6
Use props
GHT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 575574 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Make this a sticky at the top please if you can?  5 sec fix shown in the video is to tighten the small grub screw shown in the middle of the video.
Cheers!
2015-7-19
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

GHT Posted at 2015-7-20 15:38
https://youtu.be/vgeodPGqoaI
Make this a sticky at the top please if you can?  5 sec fix shown in th ...

I guess this does not count for everybody. The noise is also different, we are talking more about pulsating noises, the one in the video is more a rattle. Im sure DJI made my screw tight at the 2nd repair but its still there.
2015-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules