14829 57 2021-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
moniek1996
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509577 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there

I currently own Mavic Mini 1 and I am considering upgrading to Mini 2, mostly because of the better transmission (Wi-Fi sucks) and better wind resistance, however I don't know whether to wait until October to see if there is anything new. I got my Mini for Christmas last year and I was shocked that DJI released what should've been the original Mini within 12 months. The very last thing I want is to buy a new drone and realise few months later there is a completely new model out there which has a similar price point and is 1000x better (again) ...
For me, the weight is more important than anything and for that reason alone I'm not interested in Air or Pro series (although I know they're way better).

Thanks ^^
2021-1-12
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Only DJI knows for sure, but they will probably create a Mini 3 at some point. But it could be a longer time frame than with the mini 2.
2021-1-12
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

I think a possible mini 3 will be late. Perhaps it is better to wait and hope that they fix the many software problems.
2021-1-12
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought a Mini 2 last week, I don't think we will see another Mini this year, the Mini 2 has only been out a short time.

Not aware of any major software issues, DJI is always tweaking or adding new functionality.

Very happy so far with the Mini 2, I would never have bought the Mini 1, no 4k.
2021-1-12
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'd like to think it would take them longer to release a new drone and they'd focus on improving the existing one instead, but that's exactly what they did to Mini > Mini 2. It took them less than 12 months to release something brand new.
I will probably risk it and buy Mini 2, just hoping DJI won't do the same thing again haha
2021-1-12
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

moniek1996 Posted at 1-12 08:18
I'd like to think it would take them longer to release a new drone and they'd focus on improving the existing one instead, but that's exactly what they did to Mini > Mini 2. It took them less than 12 months to release something brand new.
I will probably risk it and buy Mini 2, just hoping DJI won't do the same thing again haha

I think there were lots of lost drones because of original mini's light weight and weaker motors. Also lots of people had radio reception issues with mini 1. So I think DJI wanted to improve these issues. I believe this is why we saw the Mini 2 so soon. But a mini 3 what would be the big improvement needs?? Maybe add more obstacle avoidance sensors. Can they add more and still keep it under 250 grams, maybe at some point, so it might be a longer time until a new model. Just my thoughts on probability of a new model in the near future.
2021-1-12
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Based on the previous product cycle I would guess at least a year.  But I think it will probably be more as the Mini 2 now has Occusync 2.0 and technology improvements will be focused on higher end models.
2021-1-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you upgrade now before its got its EU classification you'll be able to fly places that the mini2 with classification cannot as this drone is measured as under 250grams but when its classified the 250g becomes its MTOM weight which it will exceed.
2021-1-12
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Arpettaz Posted at 1-12 09:57
With technology there will always be a better product just round the corner - the question is are you prepared to wait for the ‘perfect’ drone to be launched (if such a thing exists) or do you want a great flying experience now?  If the latter, buy the Mini 2

I am aware that there is always something new and better. It's just the difference between Mini 1 and 2 is so big it's worth the upgrade. I was more wondering how likely is it that "Mini 3" would have experience-changing upgrades like it was with Mini 2 (the wifi connection and weaker wind resistance really limits the times and places where I could use my Mini 1).
I wouldn't upgrade it straight away just for the camera or 4K - although it's nice for me it wasn't a game changer.
2021-1-12
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-12 10:23
If you upgrade now before its got its EU classification you'll be able to fly places that the mini2 with classification cannot as this drone is measured as under 250grams but when its classified the 250g becomes its MTOM weight which it will exceed.

Could you explain it more for me please? What is the MTOM weight and what is the EU classification going to change?
2021-1-12
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

One other possible reason for DJI to release a new model relatively soon, USA -Remote ID, other countries some other legal changes. Does the mini 2 hardware support the remote ID otherwise a new model must be released for the US within 18 months.
2021-1-12
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-12 10:23

Hi, I don’t understand this, Mini 2 is around 240g with SD card, regulations talk of take off mass not MTOM, please expand.  Cheers
2021-1-12
Use props
astrograph
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2348100 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I can imagine dji will release a new version with the CE certification complying with then new EU rules, if it just get's the sticker or if there will be some hardware upgrades, one could only speculate.
2021-1-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You will be good with the Mini 2 for some time.
Especially since it is <250g
My suspicion is that they will first release something more 'pro' but that will also have more 'pro' weight and cost.
But my crystal ball has seen better days
2021-1-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there moniek1996. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future products and future DJI releases. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2021-1-12
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

I think they will wait a few years and I’m guessing they will just do a few app upgrades and they would get a lots of people ticked off. Example. I bought the Mini 1 this summer and it has hasn't been on the market that long and now I have to now get the M2.  I think they will be upgrading their upper models or they could loose those flyers.  And that would not be good for them because their competes would catch up.
Doug
2021-1-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

moniek1996 Posted at 1-12 10:39
Could you explain it more for me please? What is the MTOM weight and what is the EU classification going to change?

MTOM = Maximum takeoff mass.   The rules changed on 31 December 2020.  So now any drone without a classification falls into the legacy category.  In the legacy category they use the weight to control where a drone can legally fly.  However when the classification system kicks in they dont use weight anymore but the MTOM.  Which in the terms of the Mavic Mini is above 250 grams so the classified version will not be able to do things like over fly people.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

moniek1996 Posted at 1-12 10:39

Jump to 15:40 in this video for an explanation.

2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-12 12:05
Hi, I don’t understand this, Mini 2 is around 240g with SD card, regulations talk of take off mass not MTOM, please expand.  Cheers

MTOM is maximum take off mass which for the Mini 2 is higher than the 250 grams.  When they start classifying the drones its classification is based on MTOM and not weight like in the legacy category.  Check out Ians video in this thread.
2021-1-13
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 00:20
Jump to 15:40 in this video for an explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4xWX0cloJk

Thank you so much for this video! It makes much more sense now
Guess I'm going to order my Mini 2 this week and will try to sell my Mini 1
2021-1-13
Use props
Loopdreams
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9806 ft

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 00:28
MTOM is maximum take off mass which for the Mini 2 is higher than the 250 grams.  When they start classifying the drones its classification is based on MTOM and not weight like in the legacy category.  Check out Ians video in this thread.

Maxium takeoff mass is defined by the manufacturer, though. If DJI say that a Mini 2 is only classified as safe in its default configuration with no accessories then its MTOM is <250g.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Loopdreams Posted at 1-13 03:19
Maxium takeoff mass is defined by the manufacturer, though. If DJI say that a Mini 2 is only classified as safe in its default configuration with no accessories then its MTOM is

Its not defined its measured. The mini 2 MTOM is about 440 grams. MTOM is the max weight possible not what it weighs.
2021-1-13
Use props
Loopdreams
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 03:33
Its not defined its measured. The mini 2 MTOM is about 440 grams. MTOM is the max weight possible not what it weighs.

So it's completely different to full size aircraft then? In that case the manufacturer specifies the MTOM and it's not the most it could conceivably carry and still just about get off the ground.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Loopdreams Posted at 1-13 03:42
So it's completely different to full size aircraft then? In that case the manufacturer specifies the MTOM and it's not the most it could conceivably carry and still just about get off the ground.

Airplane manufactures certify a MTOW which is safe for the aircraft, in reality is could lift off with more.   Either way the MTOM is always more than the actual weight otherwise a drone couldn't lift off.
2021-1-13
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 03:33

i'd say the mini mtom can be even 1 kg - it will lift it at least couple of centimeters...hell EASA could file it under passenger aircraft for laboratory mice by your logic it is written with bold letters on the drone itself <250gr!!!! This is not an airplane to carry cargo and passenger to be necessary to specify mtom different than the takeoff weight.

Where did you see mtom specified by dji on any dji drone from the consumer line? by this logic the air 2 could easily go over 2 kg...and so on.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-13 03:54
i'd say the mini mtom can be even 1 kg - it will lift it at least couple of centimeters...hell EASA could file it under passenger aircraft for laboratory mice by your logic  it is written with bold letters on the drone itself

Actually they list it in the manual for some of the drones,  for example this is from the Ispire 2.

Model        T650A
Weight        7.58 lbs (3440 g, including propellers and two batteries, without gimbal and camera)
Max Takeoff Weight        9.37lbs (4250 g)
2021-1-13
Use props
Loopdreams
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 03:49
Airplane manufactures certify a MTOW which is safe for the aircraft, in reality is could lift off with more.   Either way the MTOM is always more than the actual weight otherwise a drone couldn't lift off.

That's the point though, it is specified by the manufacturer and not measured. If DJI said that, say, a Mini 3 is only safe to fly with no accessories then unless I am misnderstanding something that would be it's MTOM as far as regulations are concerned.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Loopdreams Posted at 1-13 04:00
That's the point though, it is specified by the manufacturer and not measured. If DJI said that, say, a Mini 3 is only safe to fly with no accessories then unless I am misnderstanding something that would be it's MTOM as far as regulations are concerned.

Please watch the magnitude of videos explaining this on YouTube,  its a common understanding that MTOM is greater than weight.  The videos are very clear.  I for one will be buying a Mini 2. before the classification comes in because of this.
2021-1-13
Use props
Loopdreams
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 04:02
Please watch the magnitude of videos explaining this on YouTube,  its a common understanding that MTOM is greater than weight.  The videos are very clear.  I for one will be buying a Mini 2. before the classification comes in because of this.

I'm not talking about the Mini 2. That has no MTOM defined by the manufacturer. I'm talking about a hypothetical Mini 3 as per the subject of the thread. If DJI sold it in the EU and gave a MTOM of less than 250g then I believe that is what it would fall under and the fact that it probably could carry more weight would be of no relevance.
2021-1-13
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 04:02
Please watch the magnitude of videos explaining this on YouTube,  its a common understanding that MTOM is greater than weight.  The videos are very clear.  I for one will be buying a Mini 2. before the classification comes in because of this.

i watched it...now you need to because in the video is clearly explained that mini and mini 2 are with the most freedoms under the new rules, even as legacy they can continue flying under A1 after 2023 because of their under 250 weight!!! It is amazing how some people try to complicate things more than they are, MTOM for the mini and mini 2 is their weight!!!!!
MTOM is measured when you can put additional accessories on the drone! DJI clearly advises against that! even against filters!!!
2021-1-13
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 03:57
Actually they list it in the manual for some of the drones,  for example this is from the Ispire 2.

Model        T650A

inspire 2 is clearly not the best consumer by definition type of drone. IT HAS MTOM AS IT CAN FLY WITH DIFFERENT TYPE OF CAMERAS(in case it is not clear to you different cameras have different weight, hence the definition of mtom in the case)!!! this means you can change the cargo! How do you do that with the camera of the mini! I mean it cannot be more simply put than that!!!
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Loopdreams Posted at 1-13 04:06
I'm not talking about the Mini 2. That has no MTOM defined by the manufacturer. I'm talking about a hypothetical Mini 3 as per the subject of the thread. If DJI sold it in the EU and gave a MTOM of less than 250g then I believe that is what it would fall under and the fact that it probably could carry more weight would be of no relevance.

Yes, thats right,  but they would also have to get its weight down below that be some margin.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-13 04:11
inspire 2 is clearly not the best consumer by definition type of drone. IT HAS MTOM AS IT CAN FLY WITH DIFFERENT TYPE OF CAMERAS(in case it is not clear to you different cameras have different weight, hence the definition of mtom in the case)!!! this means you can change the cargo! How do you do that with the camera of the mini! I mean it cannot be more simply put than that!!!

You asked for an example  this is an example.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-13 04:09
i watched it...now you need to because in the video is clearly explained that mini and mini 2 are with the most freedoms under the new rules, even as legacy they can continue flying under A1 after 2023 because of their under 250 weight!!! It is amazing how some people try to complicate things more than they are, MTOM for the mini and mini 2 is their weight!!!!!
MTOM is measured when you can put additional accessories on the drone! DJI clearly advises against that! even against filters!!!

Yes the mini/mini2 has the most freedoms until they release one with the classification sticker and if you own the one with the sticker you will be more restricted.  
2021-1-13
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 04:15
Yes the mini/mini2 has the most freedoms until they release one with the classification sticker and if you own the one with the sticker you will be more restricted.

i give up!!!! the guy in the video expained it more than clearly that legacy drones below 250 will continue as is after 2023, everywhere is written so, but your logic is a new classified drone will render that invalid???where it is written that? isn't that the whole point of having a legacy and a classified drones, so you have some rules??? READ CAREFULLY THE LEGISLATION!! new classified drones fly according to classification until the end of times so new under 250 gr C0 - A1. Legacy drones under 250 until 2023 - A1, after 2023 - the same - in A1. I could draw it for you, but i have my doubts it will make any difference. So go buy a new C0 drone when they get released and be happy!
2021-1-13
Use props
moniek1996
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MTOM is measured when you can put additional accessories on the drone! DJI clearly advises against that! even against filters!!!

Where did you hear that DJI advises against accessories? They are literally selling a Snap adapter on their website. For Mavic Mini 2 the total accessories weight cannot exceed 30g which would mean the max weight is between 270-280g (don't know exactly what's Mini 2's weight)

https://store.dji.com/uk/product/mavic-mini-snap-adapter

Untitled.png
2021-1-13
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

moniek1996 Posted at 1-13 05:25
Where did you hear that DJI advises against accessories? They are literally selling a Snap adapter on their website. For Mavic Mini 2 the total accessories weight cannot exceed 30g which would mean the max weight is between 270-280g (don't know exactly what's Mini 2's weight)

https://store.dji.com/uk/product/mavic-mini-snap-adapter

well that and the propeller guards are the only accessories on sale by dji that can be used in flight hence the only ones dji does not advise against...it is another story how useful and practical is to fly with that...but yes in that case your drone goes in C1.
2021-1-13
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-13 04:23
i give up!!!! the guy in the video expained it more than clearly that legacy drones below 250 will continue as is after 2023, everywhere is written so, but your logic is a new classified drone will render that invalid???where it is written that? isn't that the whole point of having a legacy and a classified drones, so you have some rules??? READ CAREFULLY THE LEGISLATION!! new classified drones fly according to classification until the end of times so new under 250 gr C0 - A1. Legacy drones under 250 until 2023 - A1, after 2023 - the same - in A1. I could draw it for you, but i have my doubts it will make any difference. So go buy a new C0 drone when they get released and be happy!

I agree Mini 2 is marked < 249g. Therefore it can be flown in A1 today, tomorrow, and if you have n't crashed in 2023.

If you add to the Mini 2 accessories that increase the weight above 250g then you should not be flying it in A1.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 1-13 04:23

No a legacy <250g drone will be better than the same drone with a classification thats what everyone is saying.
2021-1-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you watched Ians video from 15mins to the end he explains very clearly the window to get a sub 250g drone without classification because what will change and why when its classified.  IE 250g weight vs 250g MTOM.
2021-1-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules