871 2 2015-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Glitch
lvl.2
United States

Phantom2
H3-3D
AVL58 tx/rx and monitor (+LCD5802 diversity receiver/monitor)
GoProH3 Black
iOSD mini

Current Tx range <50meters line of sight, at best
Previous Tx range >.8km (never pushed further)

(Haven't taken off cloverleaf on AVL58 Tx since shortly after install, felt risk of forgetting when just working on P2 was too great, and my case is big enouigh. So, Tx hasn't been fried beacause I didn't have the antenna mounted)

Interim changes: Now on H3-3D #4 - Problem with #1 resulted in sending off for warranty repair, sudden work required I purchase another before I would get #1 back, #2 was immediately twitchy every ~5sec which simltaneously caused intereference with FPV Rx, overnighted #3 as replacement for #2 which appears to work flawlessly, a week later #4 arives as a result of #1 being beyond repair. #3 & #4 appear fully functional.

(can't imagine how this is helpful but was a change)
Intial monitor was a modified vehicle headrest 7" with AVL58 Rx pluged into RCA input mutually powered by LiPo : New 5802 7" w/ built in diversity Rx. I've mixed and matched the stock AVL58 cloverleaf antenna (w/ requisite adapter), 14db gain patch, and the adjustable stick antennae which came with 5802 with similar results aside from 14db patch appearing only slightly better which is how I achieved ~50m at the furthest, the stock stick anennae had lost signal as close as 10m.

Initially I thought the new monitor/receiver was the issue, however walking around to test reception with both the intial setup and the new, it seems they are roughly equal which I presume must mean the problem is with my AVL58 Tx, because I not only loose the feed from my GoPro (intially I thought it was yet another gimbal issue) however my iOSD feed drops simultaneously.

I haven't crashed so nothing physical has impacted the AVL58.

I had considered interference since the 10m flight was rather close to residential powelines, however the 50m flight also lost signal as close as 20m when Tx antenna was at least efficient orientation which was nowhere powerlines, and probably 30m from the closest house at a local park (and yes, my GoPro WiFi is always checked to be turned off). Prior to the gimbal issues, I've flown in (safe) proximity to a substation, as well as my house which has a decent WiFi network, all without interference.

Previous FPV flights had never lost signal with many flights pushing 300m-400m+. Now I feel limited to an area about the size of my front yard.

Any thoughts, suggestions, admonisions, or anything else which may prove even the least bit helpful would be mighty appreciated.
(Really don't want to send off another part for 4-6weeks of repair)

2015-7-4
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Any chance that the transmitter had been ON without the antennas attached?
2015-7-6
Use props
Glitch
lvl.2
United States

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-7-6 22:00
Any chance that the transmitter had been ON without the antennas attached?

Nope, the Tx antenna hasn't been off since maybe Jan when I setup the case for the P2, and FPV had been functional at expected ranges until the first flights with the new gimbal ~2 weeks ago. (At first I thought it may have been the gimbal ribbon cable except the iOSD drops out with the rest of the video feed.
2015-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules