Ronin S - pan drift when trigger locked?
301 0 2021-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TCMusic
lvl.1

United States

Hello! I am trying to accomplish a long single-shot video using the DJI Ronin S - essentially it's a straight-line walk in front of the talent in which I need the camera pan to be locked at exactly 0 degrees (straight forward) but continue to stabilize movement along the tilt and roll axis, ideally to offset any operator movement from walking (using a dolly isn't an option for this shot).

I have been able to achieve the desired stability, however even with the trigger held down, my Ronin S is drifting off center along the pan axis during the shot and I have had to stop shooting to figure this out.  The shot is about 4.5 minutes, and I am experiencing drift within the first 30 seconds and it becomes close to 45 degrees off center by 3 minutes.

Things I have tried:
Not using the trigger - I can use operator movement to re-center the shot but it doesn't have the same locked and stabilized effect as holding the trigger
Setting the Pan endpoints to 0 and trying to slow down the motion control as much as possible, which delays the pan drift but doesn't solve it
Setting the Pan endpoints to 0 and using a custom Follow with the pan motor unselected

What am I missing? If it's unclear, what I want is for the camera to be facing straight out from the operator and absolutely unable to pan left or right, and then be able to frame the shot and lock it and use the tilt/roll axis to maintain the camera's position relative to the subject.  It's a very slow walk video with the talent talking into the camera and lots of motion on either side, and the effect is best captured if the camera remains stabilized as if dolly mounted and perfectly centered on the talent.

Rig is DJI Ronin S, Sony A7R-II connected via MCC-MULTI, 24/70 F4 Zeiss lens, cold shoe mounted Lumecube Panel GO.  Rig weight is well under spec and I am a meticulous gimbal balancer and have been performing balance checks and auto-tune each time I try to solve for this issue.

Thank you!
2021-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules