Do sunhoods actually work?
865 7 2021-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I saw a post by JJB reqarding a mobile device holder with a sunhood.  In his follow up he says "But in general sunhoods does work, but not that much....".  I was wondering what other pilot's experiences were with sunhoods and the practical benifits vs. cons.
Single SelectVote, Total 8 people participate in voting
50.00% (4)
12.50% (1)
37.50% (3)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2021-1-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think mine helps a lot. I do fly from a boat a lot though and the light is coming from all angles, not typical use I guess.

me in boat landing MA2 sml.png
2021-1-17
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-17 14:17
I think mine helps a lot. I do fly from a boat a lot though and the light is coming from all angles, not typical use I guess.

Thanks GaryDoug,

That appears to be a large hood.  I tried one of the smaller hoods and it kind of helped but not that much.  Maybe, larger hood is the key.
2021-1-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JohnLietzke.  Thank you for reaching out and for creating this poll about use of the mobile device holder with a sunhood. I hope that our DJI co pilots can give out there insights with regards to this matter. Thank you for your support and please stay safe always.
2021-1-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-17 14:17

I use a Galaxy Tab S6 because it is so much easier for my old eyes to see vice a small mobile device screen.  

Which sunhood brand are you using?
2021-1-18
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-18 10:02
I use a Galaxy Tab S6 because it is so much easier for my old eyes to see vice a small mobile device screen.  

Which sunhood brand are you using?

Sorry, out of town for a while to Washington DC ... yep, on the good day. Mine is a Pgytech. You can almost read that in the photo ;-)

2021-1-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-24 20:38
Sorry, out of town for a while to Washington DC ... yep, on the good day. Mine is a Pgytech. You can almost read that in the photo ;-)

Thank you.  
2021-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I tried a smaller hood and gave up on it -- my problem is that on really hot days the iPhone 7's screen would dim down to prevent it from overheating and that was the real reason why it was so hard to see. That gargantuan one GaryDoug uses probably works better when there's no shade around, but in my case the ambient heat would still be a problem.
2021-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules