Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Latest DJI Fly Android app
10402 23 2021-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
George GR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

Latest DJI Fly Android app only available from DJI’s website, not the Play Store

The DJI Fly app on Android hasn’t been updated since November, with DJI asking users to download it from its website instead. This is resulting in users not getting the latest updates and features, but why is it happening?
Looking at the version live on the Play Store, it is currently 1.2.1, while the latest version available to the public via DJI’s website is 1.2.4. This brings up the question of why the app isn’t receiving updates through the store?
As this issue has been around ever since the November update, we first thought that it was stuck at the approval phase from Google during the holiday period. But now that it has been a little longer, it seems that something else might be going on.
While looking around for an answer to this question, I stumbled upon the DJI Fly page on the company’s website. Previously you would be able to find the download for the App Store, the Play Store, and an option to download the Android version from DJI’s servers directly.
The Play Store option no longer exists. Leaving the App Store and the direct download option left. DJI has likely done this to remove confusion and the possibility of someone downloading the app’s wrong version.
So, why?
We aren’t entirely sure why the app hasn’t received updates through the Play Store for some time now. There’s a possibility that Google has denied the newer version of the app because of something added into the app as the older version of the app is still on the Play Store.
The other, less likely option is that DJI isn’t uploading a newer version of the app to the Play Store for an unknown reason. We sent DJI a note to ask what the reasoning is behind the new version of the app not being on the Play Store.
For now, though, it appears that DJI wants people to download the app directly from its website to get the latest fixes and features. You can head over to this link to download the app. Please ensure you download it from DJI’s website, as other websites can add malware to the app.

via: dronedj.com

2021-1-27
Use props
Astro Bob
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9616 ft
United States

I suspect that DJI wants fixes via these updates out ASAP. Either DJI or Google is probably slowed down due to the virus like the rest of us. There may be some issues with verification of the app delays due to government looking at China software to avoid spyware, etc.
2021-1-27
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Neither DJI nor Google has give an explanation as to why the DJI Fly app for Android has been removed from the Google Play Store.  

I suspicion that the DJI Fly app for Android requires an Enterprise level feature which is not allowed for general distribution in the Google Play Store.  If it were due to DJI violating the terms of service or some other malicious activity the entire DJI library of apps would have been removed.  Having to manually install the DJI Fly app is a detractor for DJI customers so I would imagine that DJI is working to get the DJI Fly app back into the Google Play Store.
2021-1-27
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

I am affraid it like JohnLietzke said. Google is a US company and of the trade restrictions active at the moment it makes google a supplier for DJI. However the policy of Apple seems to be different.

From the 1.2.4 version there should be a in app update. That would mean you get directly updates thru the app once you installed the Fly 1.2.4.
2021-1-27
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

JohnDG Posted at 1-27 17:29
I am affraid it like JohnLietzke said. Google is a US company and of the trade restrictions active at the moment it makes google a supplier for DJI. However the policy of Apple seems to be different.

From the 1.2.4 version there should be a in app update. That would mean you get directly updates thru the app once you installed the Fly 1.2.4.

DJI is not banned in the United States nor is it restricted in supply chain.  All the DJI products are designed and manufactured in China.  

The restrictions pertaining to DJI are different than Huawei.  DJI's restrictions comes from the Chinese government using DJI drones to spy on minority populations.  It is said DJI products were used by the Chinese government to “enabled wide-scale human rights abuses within China through abusive genetic collection and analysis or high-technology surveillance.”  

As a result US companies are prohibited from exporting technologies which has a potential military application for use in DJI.  In addition US companies are prohibited for using DJI to manufacture those type of technologies.   Huawei on the other hand has a blanket ban on all products being sold in the US and no technologies or manufacturing for any product of any company that has a holding may be done.

Google is not different than Best Buy or Amazon in the legal equation as they are simply a retailer for DJI products.

I am located in the Silicon Valley where many of the major tech companies, for the moment, are headquarters.  The DJI issue was a big one as Apple sells DJI drones.  The Apple Stores went so far as to stop selling the Mavic for about 24 hours until their legal council could review the trade regulations.  There was a lot of speculation here in the both the drone and tech communities about what the restrictions would do to manufacturing in China.  It turns out very little.
2021-1-27
Use props
arczi79
lvl.3
Flight distance : 148 ft
Australia

In my opinion the newest version of soft is not accepted by Google because DJI added there some .... Be careful with downloading that version. Only versions verified by Google are safe (at least to some level).
2021-1-27
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

unless your drone is flying upside down, why would you circumvent the process and sideload the apk?  is a few weeks/months in the middle of winter too long to wait?  if the updated version is never going to show in the play store then sure, go sideload it.
2021-1-27
Use props
JohnLietzke
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-27 18:55
unless your drone is flying upside down, why would you circumvent the process and sideload the apk?  is a few weeks/months in the middle of winter too long to wait?  if the updated version is never going to show in the play store then sure, go sideload it.

The Saint,

I agree with you that there must be some reason DJI is not using the Google Play Store for updates.  If I were guessing and it is not an Enterprise app distribution reason then I would have to do with data privacy violation.  It is a Chinese company after all in which the government owns a significant stake.
2021-1-27
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have always wondered how some members here would react if one day someone from DJI said: If you don't trust us, then don't bloody buy our products!
2021-1-27
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

arczi79 Posted at 1-27 18:35
In my opinion the newest version of soft is not accepted by Google because DJI added there some .... Be careful with downloading that version. Only versions verified by Google are safe (at least to some level).

It's only your opinion. Based on what?
2021-1-28
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I am also very wary of sideloading the Fly app onto my primary phone. There are a good variety of scans and checks Google do on Play Store apps - not that Google are saints themselves - and I would feel more confortable not sideloading an app from a company, even one as well known as DJI.
2021-1-28
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I like the suggestion in this article to send unknown apps to Google for checking: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/2812853?hl=en
2021-1-28
Use props
BaliSkies
lvl.3

Australia

arczi79 Posted at 1-27 18:35
In my opinion the newest version of soft is not accepted by Google because DJI added there some .... Be careful with downloading that version. Only versions verified by Google are safe (at least to some level).

How well does your tin foil hat fit? Very well indeed I would think. Are you always so paranoid?
2021-1-28
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

maybe this is more the reason ...

https://dronedj.com/guides/dji-fly-app/
2021-1-28
Use props
arczi79
lvl.3
Australia

BaliSkies Posted at 1-28 02:23
How well does your tin foil hat fit? Very well indeed I would think. Are you always so paranoid?

My foil hat is most probably with DJI. I am paranoid only when soemthing very strange is happening without any explanaiton. Are you always so trusty?
2021-2-8
Use props
arczi79
lvl.3
Australia

Renato61 Posted at 1-28 01:46
It's only your opinion. Based on what?

Based on lack of explanation from DJI. If DJI is not willing to provide ANY explanation of that situation than I am giving right to myslefe to make up some stories. They should learn how it works!
2021-2-8
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20253 ft
United Kingdom

I think they are readying to keep multiple versions available for download.

They are struggling to keep the app working for everyone, which is very concerning.

On their download page there is a link to access previous versions for iOS...
2021-2-8
Use props
Astro Bob
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9616 ft
United States

Go to your Android Settings and Notifications and make sure that DJI is turned on. As of today, 2-8-2021, when you start Fly app, t will tell you a newer version is now available and will load it....just like it auto
checks for new firmware updates. The reason DJI did this was to allow the process to be the same as firmware updates so you don't have to go looking for the updates externally.  You may get a note that says you can't allow updates from this source since it isn't Google Play Store....turn it off. It will work fine. There is no other things changed on this update evidently other than the auto update notification.  I had 1.2.4 before and and it is still the same 1.2.4 showing. 1.2.5 was released for Iphone and Android version may soon come out. Not sure if there was an issue on Iphones that required a fix thus the 1.2.5 or they just haven't finished the Android version yet. I have been using 1.2.4 since it was first released on my MINI II and no issues at all.
2021-2-8
Use props
djiuser_LSA2v8XVnCFw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Plus the fact IOS is already on 1.2.5 and has fixes that android doesn’t have . It’s ridiculous that in 2021 both can’t be on the same version at the same time
2021-2-8
Use props
BaliSkies
lvl.3

Australia

Astro Bob Posted at 2-8 10:38
Go to your Android Settings and Notifications and make sure that DJI is turned on. As of today, 2-8-2021, when you start Fly app, t will tell you a newer version is now available and will load it....just like it auto
checks for new firmware updates. The reason DJI did this was to allow the process to be the same as firmware updates so you don't have to go looking for the updates externally.  You may get a note that says you can't allow updates from this source since it isn't Google Play Store....turn it off. It will work fine. There is no other things changed on this update evidently other than the auto update notification.  I had 1.2.4 before and and it is still the same 1.2.4 showing. 1.2.5 was released for Iphone and Android version may soon come out. Not sure if there was an issue on Iphones that required a fix thus the 1.2.5 or they just haven't finished the Android version yet. I have been using 1.2.4 since it was first released on my MINI II and no issues at all.

Thanks for the info indeed.
2021-2-8
Use props
fans87735114
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141293 ft
United States

Go to your Android Settings and Notifications and make sure that DJI is turned on. As of today, 2-8-2021, when you start Fly app, t will tell you a newer version is now available and will load it....just like it auto
checks for new firmware updates. The reason DJI did this was to allow the process to be the same as firmware updates so you don't have to go looking for the updates externally.  You may get a note that says you can't allow updates from this source since it isn't Google Play Store....turn it off. It will work fine. There is no other things changed on this update evidently other than the auto update notification.  I had 1.2.4 before and and it is still the same 1.2.4 showing. 1.2.5 was released for Iphone and Android version may soon come out. Not sure if there was an issue on Iphones that required a fix thus the 1.2.5 or they just haven't finished the Android version yet. I have been using 1.2.4 since it was first released on my MINI II and no issues at all.

I'm not buying that. A simple pop-up saying "A new update is available; tap this button to be taken to the Google Play Store." would suffice.
2021-4-14
Use props
fans87735114
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141293 ft
United States

I'm not buying that. A simple pop-up saying "A new update is available; tap this button to be taken to the Google Play Store." would suffice.
2021-4-14
Use props
SuperWinnieperruna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

Well,,,they like so much the money that maybe they are not agree about the 30% of the profit for google
2021-4-14
Use props
djiuser_zirnbZCC2Lys
New

United Kingdom

Dji fly is available on samsung galaxy store Feb 2022, though it does try to update from dji each time you run it.
2022-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules