Video quality difference between p3p and inspire 1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4957293 ft
Colombia

Comparing the images obtained with my P3P with my Inspire 1 on the same flight conditions, the P3P are brighter in autofocus. This will be a software problem of automatic focusing of the lens? It will only be my Phantom 3 Professional?

2015-7-6
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

My understanding is:

There is not ANY difference between the Inspire 4K camera and the P3Pro camera.  They are the same camera and lens.

Neither camera has Auto focus.

Both cameras are fixed focus at infinity.

2015-7-6
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-7 06:55
My understanding is:

There is not ANY difference between the Inspire 4K camera and the P3Pro camera ...

I'm sure that the camera does however focus.
If I recall, I remember when I first tested out camera in my room. If pressed on the screen, it would focus on that object.
I'll try when the next time I have the phantom powered up..
2015-7-6
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

Touching the screen just sets exposure to that area of the view...  

per the specs:

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/spec

http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/spec

Both cameras are focused at infinity..

2015-7-6
Use props
Mikey14
lvl.3

United States

Did I read that right in the specs... The Phantom (6000M above sea level) goes higher than the Insprire (4500M)?
2015-7-6
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-7 06:55
My understanding is:

There is not ANY difference between the Inspire 4K camera and the P3Pro camera ...

I Have both of them, I find big differences in video images. Both make autofocus, please note when you film video, it change image parameters automatically.
2015-7-7
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

kiwichrish Posted at 2015-7-7 07:39
Touching the screen just sets exposure to that area of the view...  

per the specs:

I read the spec But in practice they are different
2015-7-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Jorgehlopezc Posted at 2015-7-7 21:52
I Have both of them, I find big differences in video images. Both make autofocus, please note when ...

Both cameras dont offer an autofocus, its a fixed focus lens similar to Gopro or other action cameras. The lens and lensholder dont twist, no mechanics, motor or threads in them. So the lens has always the same gap to the sensorplate, its focused to a certain range. Gopros are set to 7m with glue. When you brake the glue you can manually focus the gopro lens for example but its tricky because 1mm can do much. those are the most simple form of cameras, fixed focus and fixed aperture like your keychaincamera Mobius etc.. You can try and manually loosen the 4 srews holding the sensorplate to get more gap between lens and sensor which is "focusing". I wouldnt do it personally because its against your warranty and its tricky. Taping the screen is just exposure adjustment.
2015-7-7
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I suspect that if you use a line per inch chart for resolution, that the Inspire camera will render a sharper image than the Phantom 3.

The image sensor might be the same, but the lens probably isn't. More lens groups and better coating for anti-reflective properties.
2015-7-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-8 03:31
I suspect that if you use a line per inch chart for resolution, that the Inspire camera will render  ...

i personally dont believe this, same sensor and same image processor. I doubt that the lens is better in the Inspire. I dont even know if a better lens would makes sense in combination with this type of sensor. Its the Sony Gopro Sensor.The only thing i believe in is a better gimbal system in case of the inspire, less vibrations and overall less vibrations from the quad as well.
2015-7-7
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

They don´t focus?
Cameras are the same.
2015-7-7
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-7-8 03:58
i personally dont believe this, same sensor and same image processor. I doubt that the lens is bet ...

Makes no difference to me whether you believe this or not.

I shot tens of thousands of rolls of both 35mm and 120 format film. Before I plunked down thousands of dollars on a new lens, I shot test rolls on each lens I was interested in.

My dealer, would give the the pic of the crop because I would take the time to do the testing as well as spending $3-5k a month with him.

There is no mention of how many elements are used in either lens used on the Inspire or Phantom.  A lens wide open is susceptible to lens flare. Good coatings will knock out a good bit of the flare.

A $2500 prime lens is going to have better quality glass and anti-reflective coatings than a $200 lens.
2015-7-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-8 04:32
Makes no difference to me whether you believe this or not.

I shot tens of thousands of rolls of b ...

That is correcr, a 2500 Euro lens is better than a 200 Euro lens but we are speaking about action cameras here with a tiny smartphone sensor. The resolution of the sensor is worse than a good lens. For example my Gopro modder explained it to me once, it makes no difference at all when the lens is focused to 7m or 200m, the objects in the distance will still look the same because the the pixel resolution of the sensor is not good enough. Thats why its better to focus it to 7m instead of infinity. This way you have a sharp close and mid range and a slightly blurred background. But when you focus at infinity the background is still nearly the same because the sensor is not good enough. This is not a quality prime lens my friend, those are cheap mini lenses and the inspire is no difference here, otherwise the inspire gimbal would cost 1000 euro or more cause of the lens alone. We are talking about smartphone class lenses and sensors. That sony sensor is used in smartphones. Believe what you want, i have a different opinion here
2015-7-8
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Looks like this is the sensor of the P3P and inspire...
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC- ... mx078cqk.pdf#page=1
2015-7-8
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I suspect that if you use a line per inch chart for resolution, that the Inspire camera will render  ...

According to Tahoe_Ed and other DJI employees...  The CCD and lens are identical on the current Inspire and Phantom 3 cameras.  The electronics and gimbals are different.
2015-7-8
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

I dont know how to explain the difference but there is. I Fly with both birds same conditions, and found it
2015-7-8
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

Daninho Posted at 2015-7-8 03:58
i personally dont believe this, same sensor and same image processor. I doubt that the lens is bet ...

I dont know how to explain the difference but there is. I Fly with both birds same conditions, and found it
2015-7-8
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

020667@gmail.co Posted at 2015-7-8 23:28
Looks like this is the sensor of the P3P and inspire...
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_a ...

thanks for your help...
2015-7-8
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-9 00:35
According to Tahoe_Ed and other DJI employees...  The CCD and lens are identical on the current In ...

Do you think that is there the little difference?
2015-7-8
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Jorgehlopezc Posted at 2015-7-9 09:32
I dont know how to explain the difference but there is. I Fly with both birds same conditions, and ...

Do you also own a Phantom 3 with 4K camera? If so, I can post a resolution chart.

Copy and print on glossy paper. Just print the right side and set it up using a table lamp for illumination.

Take a few still camera images with each camera and see if the line of resolution changes between each camera.

The gimbal on the Inspire is a heavier duty unit. What you can/could see in flight is better dampening due to the gimbal.

The static test will test the camera only.

resolution test image

resolution test image
2015-7-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

Jorgehlopezc Posted at 2015-7-9 09:32
I dont know how to explain the difference but there is. I Fly with both birds same conditions, and ...

Yes that is true, i can tell you that not every Phantom3 camera is the same. Even gopros are not identical.The reason is the sensor plate is not perfectly level and there is a slightly different gap between sensor and lens. You can see the same problem with Phantom3's, some are slightly different in focus. Some ppl even correct the focus manually by adjusting the 4 sensor plate screws but i would not do that, its risky. That means some cameras seem to be sharper than others just because of this. And i also believe that hte inspire gimbal is better in terms of vibrations which also means better picture quality because of less micro vibrations. Inspire is also larger and vibrations are better compensated, maybe the flexible carbon arms help as well.
2015-7-9
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-7-9 15:43
Thanks for the lens test image - very useful... INDEED!

You're welcome young selina.

I used to get into trouble with when the young punk engineers would go off spouting something they supposedly learned in college.

My response was usually, one test is worth a thousand opinions. It's hard to argue with data.
2015-7-9
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

Daninho Posted at 2015-7-9 18:36
Yes that is true, i can tell you that not every Phantom3 camera is the same. Even gopros are not id ...

Do you have inspire 1 too?
2015-7-9
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-9 09:58
Do you also own a Phantom 3 with 4K camera? If so, I can post a resolution chart.

Copy and print  ...

Very interesting I´ll try...
2015-7-9
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

Daninho Posted at 2015-7-9 18:36
Yes that is true, i can tell you that not every Phantom3 camera is the same. Even gopros are not id ...

Thanks for your explanations. Do you have P3P or I1?
2015-7-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Jorgehlopezc Posted at 2015-7-9 09:57
Do you think that is there the little difference?

I think that the image processing chips may be different and the software & firmware in the cameras make a difference.  Compression rates, gamma calculations, color processing and other computer related issues also drastically affect the resulting image quality of a camera.

So yes... The Inspire and P3 cameras may have identical sensors and lenses.  But they may use very different processing engines and software.  And THAT will make a difference in the image quality.
Also... The manufacturing tolerences in the lower cost P3 camera may be less stringent.  So slight imperfections in lens alignment and sensor alignment may make some P3 cameras perform better or worse that the posted specifications.  It's possible the manufacturing tolerances on the more expensive Inspire camera may lead to more consistent performance form camera to camera.

I have seen a lot of variance in Canon & Nikon lenses that are supposed to be identical...  But one is blurry in one corner and the other one is sharply focused in all four corners.  Manufacturing tolerances & final testing do come into play with bulding lenses & cameras.

2015-7-9
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-10 05:15
I think that the image processing chips may be different and the software & firmware in the cameras ...

Thank you for your article I agree completely
2015-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules