Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Which ND Filter?
12Next >
14045 43 2015-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

I see ND filters are available for the P3 now. One site is offering a 4, 8,16 and 32. What do I need for everyday use. Will it be mostly to catch bug splats?
http://taco-rc.com/taco-rc-nd-fi ... ance-free-shipping/
PS: Anyone used their lens cap/gimbal lock?
2015-7-6
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Extremely interesting.  Thank you for posting.

I ordered some.
(The others I have tested are too heavy.)
2015-7-6
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are some more lens filter options here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#CameraP3

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-6
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

I have the polarpros and I use ND 8... The polarize and ND 4 seem to be a waste at this point . I would think ND 8 and ND 16 would be all you need. ND32 may would well for very sunny days if you want to keep your shutter speed down..
2015-7-6
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I offer a simple and light weight solution where you install the filters inside the UV-filter (the UV-filter is the front of the camera that unscrews). These filters do not impede on the operation of the gimbal.

I also offer a Polarizer-filter (POL-filter) that can work in conjunction with the ND-filters. Personally I like the POL-filter a lot. It has more of a visual effect to the photos and videos (reducing reflections, increasing saturation and contrast and can help make the sky more blue) where the ND-filters don't change the visual expression of photos and videos but rather changes how the camera works by lowering the shutter speed - which helps with problems like jello and helps create a natural smoothness to the video by adding natural motion blur when getting the shutter speed down around the 2x of the framerate (rule of thumb; 60 shutter speed at 30 fps).

I doubt an ND32 will make much sense - but if you need stronger ND-effect than the maximum ND16 I currently offer, with the PhantomFilters.com ND-filters, the filters can be stacked if needed and when combining with the POL-filter that helps lower the shutter speed as well.
2015-7-6
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

I simply use ND8 gel type inside stock lens cover. Seems like great improvement unless you plan on flying in direction of sun. I use in midday when sun is pretty high. Best results are in morning or late afternoon flying to side or away from sun in my humble opinion.  Get ND filter you want, but also plan your flight relative to sun in clear weather. In cloudy weather, make no real difference in my opinion.
2015-7-6
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

aeriallens@gmai Posted at 2015-7-7 10:46
I simply use ND8 gel type inside stock lens cover. Seems like great improvement unless you plan on f ...

My video is much the same as you describe. I put an ND-8 filter (gel filter from PhantomFilters) in and have pretty much left it alone. It just takes a few seconds to double-check my settings once my Phantom is in the air. From mid-morning to early afternoon now we get very bright sun (central Florida). The ND-8 filter seems to do a superb job letting me control my shutter speed. I'm at the point now where I'm *always* shooting in manual mode.

I'm still an amateur photographer (after many, many years of practice), but I discovered long ago that the earlier morning and later afternoon sun is much gentler for photography. A big plus - you get shadows. I equate it to observing the moon with a telescope.

Many who don't know better, think that looking at the full moon with binoculars or telescope is awesome. But, particularly with a telescope, the full moon is definitely not the best time to observe the moon. During the times other than a full moon, there's a visible line of demarcation between the light and the dark - this is called the terminator. If you observe the moon during times when you can see the terminator, the shadows provide incredible definition and the viewing is amazing. Because of the slow rotation of the moon, the terminator shifts a little bit every night, allowing you to observe different craters and other details. Even a pair of moderate power binoculars (10x and greater) on a tripod can provide a lot of detail when the terminator is visible.

Photography is sort of like that. Shadows earlier in the day and later in the day can provide detailed emphasis you cannot get in the noon-day sun. But, if you must shoot in the noon-day sun, a middle-range ND filter will really help.
2015-7-7
Use props
Mooseshooz
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I used some nd filter gel gut to size and inserted behind the removeable camera front. Worked really well and only cost me £1.50 off ebay
2015-7-7
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427480 ft
Russia

FantomDK Posted at 2015-7-7 10:35
I offer a simple and light weight solution where you install the filters inside the UV-filter (the U ...

Dear FantomDK, I can not wait for an answer from you to my letters.

I make an order for 4-pack Neutral Density filters for DJI Phantom 3 Advanced 25 june 2015.
I want to ask, you have already sent my order?

My order is #REXY-680620 by June 25.

Thanks.
2015-7-7
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft

Thanks, cool link. That's a reasonable price compared to polar pro and it weights less. I ordered one ND8 filter. I am much more comfortable with a solid glass filter than with an additional layer of gel filter which bends slightly.
I am using the DJI gimbal lock and I am happy with it. Not using a lens cap as the copter sits tight in my backpack.
2015-7-7
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is there any benefit using ND filters if you are shooting in auto , or only benefit gained is while in manual , thanks
2015-7-7
Use props
rob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 571690 ft
United Kingdom

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2015-7-8 03:56
Is there any benefit using ND filters if you are shooting in auto , or only benefit gained is while  ...

in both I believe Bill but more so in manual, I've still to wander into full manual lol
2015-7-7
Use props
apocnz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106588 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I just received my ND filters from PhantomFilters.com in the mail, easy to install, work great, now I can shoot at a nice 180 shutter angle    

Recommend them, good product, easy install, great price.
2015-7-7
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

found this

http://lightingmods.blogspot.dk/ ... nd-filters-for.html
2015-7-8
Use props
Rift
lvl.2

United States

I offer a simple and light weight solution where you install the filters inside the UV-filter (the U ...

Two questions for you.

1. Do the filters come in a case?
2. Are these soft type filters or hard?

Thanks a bunch!
2015-7-8
Use props
Eagle-ONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

I have a Simple and cheap Option here made by myself.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25201029 ... d=p3984.m1555.l2649
2015-7-8
Use props
ditzlerphoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37470 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-7 07:58
There are some more lens filter options here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#CameraP3

PhantomHelp.com  Could you add my filters to your list? I make and sell my own design that clips over the existing Phantom 3 camera that only adds 0.7 grams of weight. I ship with two rings and 6 filters (1-stop, 2-stop and 3-stops darker) so you have plenty of spares and you can stack filters if you need them darker. I ship in the US for free and worldwide for $2.38.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271920799908

I also have a video up that shows how they work and how to determine the right filters and adjust the camera via the DJI Pilot app.

Thank you
-david

2015-7-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Rift Posted at 2015-7-9 02:28
Two questions for you.

1. Do the filters come in a case?

Hi Rift

1. www.PhantomFilters.com filters come in plastic pockets that can be used to store them
2. These are light weight flexible type filters
2015-7-10
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Its pretty crazy how dark an ND filter you need to get the shutter down to 50 when shooting at 4k 24fps, im doing some tests with some samples i received, my next test will be the ND16. The samples i recieved are a little scratched up so ill be placing an order with Phantomfilters.com when i find out what i need - Adam
2015-7-11
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

ditzlerphoto Posted at 2015-7-9 20:32
PhantomHelp.com  Could you add my filters to your list? I make and sell my own design that clips o ...

David's filters are excellent, an outstanding buy, and he's a great guy. Highly recommended.
2015-7-11
Use props
editfx
lvl.2

United States

I too highly recommend the filters made by David Ditzler.
Great value for the price, with plenty of spares included.  
An advantage to the soft gel filters is the ability to stack them as needed.
I have no affiliation with David.
2015-7-11
Use props
Rift
lvl.2

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-7-11 10:15
Hi Rift

1. www.PhantomFilters.com filters come in plastic pockets that can be used to store them

Thanks! Just placed an order =)
2015-7-11
Use props
ditzlerphoto
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-7-11 22:05
David's filters are excellent, an outstanding buy, and he's a great guy. Highly recommended.

Thank you dmwierz for the kind words.
2015-7-11
Use props
ditzlerphoto
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

editfx Posted at 2015-7-12 02:51
I too highly recommend the filters made by David Ditzler.
Great value for the price, with plenty of  ...

Thank you editfx I'm glad you like them.
2015-7-11
Use props
ditzlerphoto
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I uploaded a new version of the video that explains the process a little better and also has better quality graphics from the mobile device.

thanks again
-david
2015-7-11
Use props
Swiss Tony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 505459 ft
United Kingdom

Great thread, some good info here. Thanks.
2015-7-11
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

ditzlerphoto Posted at 2015-7-12 11:13
Thank you dmwierz for the kind words.

You bet, Dave. Good luck.
2015-7-12
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

FYI . . . DJI is now offering their own ND filter . . . http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-nd4-filter
2015-7-14
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Rob88 Posted at 2015-7-15 00:29
FYI . . . DJI is now offering their own ND filter . . . http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-nd4-f ...

if only it was more than ND4  - Adam
2015-7-14
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Thanks so much for the link. I just ordered their ND2-4-8 bundle. The TIPS page is awesome! You are a great help.
2015-7-14
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-7-15 11:50
Thanks so much for the link. I just ordered their ND2-4-8 bundle. The TIPS page is awesome! You ar ...

Thanks, RNFaust.

I'm writing an eBook that I include for free with the PhantomFilters.com filters that you can have a sneak-peak of. Downloads nicely to an iPad/Tablet as well

http://phantomfilters.com/ebook/phantomfilters_eBook.pdf

2015-7-17
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-7-18 10:49
Thanks, RNFaust.

I'm writing an eBook that I include for free with the PhantomFilters.com filters ...

It's a great go-to reference. Thanks for your help. I look forward to installing your filters. I'm glad you follow this forum.
2015-7-18
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-7-15 00:29
FYI . . . DJI is now offering their own ND filter . . . http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-nd4-f ...

I suggest anyone buying an ND filter first make sure they can remove the existing threaded lens cover. I have tried and been unable to remove mine. I put non-slip rubber around it and even escalated to a wrench and it will not budge. Additional torque may damage something. I may take it to the dealer (Multicopter Warehouse) next week and see what they can do. Stuck is stuck.
A slip on cap may be my only answer. I've seen them online.
2015-7-18
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-7-19 07:31
I suggest anyone buying an ND filter first make sure they can remove the existing threaded lens co ...

See this post for how to remove . . . http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14931
2015-7-19
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-7-20 01:31
See this post for how to remove . . . http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14931

Thanks I saw that also. I'm afraid I'm beyond that. It's going to take real leverage. I'm told they do not use thread adhesive - in fact they now sell an ND replacement cap. It's just aluminum on aluminum threads sticking. Damage is the issue.
2015-7-19
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-7-20 05:55
Thanks I saw that also. I'm afraid I'm beyond that. It's going to take real leverage. I'm told the ...

How about wrapping an elastic band around the lens to protect it, then tightening a hose clamp around the elastic band?  Then you can reef on the hose clamp with vice grips or a pipe wrench, and any scratches or other damage will be suffered by the hose clamp, not the lens?  Just a thought . . .
2015-7-22
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-7-23 06:32
How about wrapping an elastic band around the lens to protect it, then tightening a hose clamp aro ...

That may be the best idea yet. I tried using a rubberized jar opening cloth by hand-no good. Then I tried wrapping the end with 3M electrical tape using pliers-no good. I may try the hose clamp over a rubber band or maybe more electrical tape (it's pretty protective). I just wonder how much more of this the little camera and gimbal can take.
I've actually given up for now, though. I feel I pushing my luck.
Thanks for your advice!
2015-7-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-7-23 12:20
That may be the best idea yet. I tried using a rubberized jar opening cloth by hand-no good. Then  ...

I had trouble unscrewing the UV-filter (the front of the DJI camera) the first time myself and thought I couldn't. But using a bit of cut-up rubber glove to get a good grip, I managed the unscrew it. It is only the first time it is a problem.

I've talked to many people who had a problem unscrewing the UV-filter. But I have yet to hear of anyone who didn't manage it in the end. It is a matter of will - and last but NOT LEAST a bit of technique   The aluminium is really slippery so it is difficult to get grip. And thats really the key. I am certain you will be able to do it. It is designed to come off. Unfortunately it is screwed on a bit tight from the factory.

Good luck, Faust.
2015-7-26
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-7-23 12:20
That may be the best idea yet. I tried using a rubberized jar opening cloth by hand-no good. Then  ...

Just wondering . . . did you finally manage to remove the UV filter?
2015-8-15
Use props
Quadifier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2664 ft
United States

I must have been lucky.   Mine came off with just the grip of my fingers.  It was a little snug...but nothing I couldn't take right off with my bare fingers.
I think one of the tricks is....not to put too much pressure (squeezing) on the UV filter housing.  It is aluminum...and squeezing excessively will make the threads tighter when trying to turn it.
2015-8-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules