My New(est) Inspire is Awesome!
1157 10 2015-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
info
lvl.3
Flight distance : 647034 ft
United States

For whatever reason, I have not been able to log on here in a while, but this evening it finally seemed to work again. Anyway, I felt obligated to report my experience with my new(est) I1, which I ordered directly from DJI, instead of from dealers like my previous 3 units. This one is a Version D, whereas my previous 3 were all Version B's.
Although I have not used it much at all since getting it, (due to a complete lack of trust in the technology, if I am to be honest) I have managed to put in a good number of flights recently and I have been very pleased. The video quality is what it is, so there is no point going there, but now that I have finally received a unit the appears to fly as it should, it really is a treat. The inputs are very precise and predictable. I have not had a single glitch, dropout, nor failure of any kind so far. The video signal has been good (although I have been flying line of sight while I build trust, so no long range flights and nothing extreme that would be generally test-worthy.)

I know that something is different with this unit because it has never once drifted off course, nor changed direction, nor lost gimbal horizon, not once, whereas my previous I1 did all of the above, constantly. Everything appears to be working as it should, and that is a GOOD feeling. I have not noticed much difference between my TB47 and TB48 batteries though, that is the only point worth mentioning. That being said, I certainly can not complain about 20-minute flight times with either battery. I purchased 10 batteries, so at 20-minute flight times, I can fly for what seems forever (which is good while I work on building my confience in this platform back up after my crazy and unacceptable flyaway).

If the camera could perform half as well as this unit flies at this point, I would be an extremely happy customer. This is the one thing that really bugs me, because as long as the camera is what it is, it is hard for me to use it professionally. I understand that this is not what this platform is really intended for, and we have lots of "professional" rigs that we use when higher photo/video quality is required, but the hope of a smaller rig, capable of capturing footage to compete with some of our larger, more complex/involved rigs was a really nice thought.

In conclusion, after a very rocky start (several actually) with the I1, I have to give this platform credit, it is an astounding piece of engineering, especially when you compare to the competition. The app is fantastic, integrated lightbridge is fantastic, the ease of use is fantastic, the flight characteristics are fantastic, the speed and agility and smooth video during crazy maneuvers are fantastic, the design is fantastic and truth be told, for the money, the camera is pretty darn good. At the end of the day, we are talking about a $300 camera, because in reality, it comes attached to a $200 gimbal. Show me a sensor at this price that crushed this camera, it simply does not exist, yet.

All in all, as much as I don't like sounding like a complete fan-boy, DJI did an amazing thing here. Does the turn around time on repairs and general customer service ruin the experience, absolutely, if you are unlucky enough to need it, but other than that, I really can't complain.

Now DJI, please give us a better camera and a nose-cone accessory option with FPV pilot cam (with tilt function) please!

2015-7-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing your story and it is nice to hear it is working well.

Rich
2015-7-7
Use props
daniel.frederik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10656 ft
New Zealand

It's great to hear 'Info of the Usa'.   By far most of us have positive experiences with the I1 and more people should share them, as you have today.

2015-7-7
Use props
Tommyxx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33898 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Ciao si può spiegare quello che cambia la versione D ?
2015-7-8
Use props
ea6le
lvl.2

Turks and Caicos Islands

My second inspire was ordered from DJI and got the D version. I flew over the weekend in high wind and performed great. Only problem I have is: since the new app for IOS and with the latest firmware the video feed is getting bad after 15min, when the ipad mini gets hot, got as hot before with the old inspire with an older firmware but the video feed was good.
The version B was great also, until a tree hit it , I'll have it fixed in couple weeks .

Enjoy flying!
2015-7-8
Use props
M3SpeedRacer
lvl.2

United States

20 minute flight per battery? Perhaps you've purchased TB49
2015-7-8
Use props
easiair05
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1336942 ft
United States

Fpv nose camera with tilt function, no holes drilled, transmitter with independent battery mounted in rear to balance.
2015-7-8
Use props
info
lvl.3
United States

M3SpeedRacer - Fine, you got me, the literal flight times were roughly 18 minutes, I rounded up a bit. Longest flight was 18:24 and I never fly below 30%, so there were probably a couple more minutes left.
2015-7-8
Use props
Outlander0088
lvl.3

United States

How do you tell which "Version" you have? I just got a new Inspire from DJI Support due to a fast moving tree that stepped in front of my Inspire.
2015-7-8
Use props
Tommyxx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33898 ft
  • >>>
Italy

someone can explain cambaimenti with version D?
How do I know if my model is the D
2015-7-9
Use props
info
lvl.3
United States

Version D comes with the updated landing gear hinges (one solid machined wishbone part at the pivot point on each side whereas the 3 previous versions had two half-circle shaped pieces on each side. The new design definitely hinges more smoothly ( based on my observation that my previous 3 I1's appeared to be working rather hard while transforming on the ground, whereas this one transitions smoothly, both on the ground and in the air). I don't think there was anything "wrong" with the previous design, but I definitely prefer the new version. I just hope this unit holds up and continues to fly reliably, as I am planning to begin using it for work soon. I designated the tail number N952PB to this unit, 952 being our local area code, just to remind it where it's actual home is that it is supposed to return to, as my previous one seemed to be forgetful  
2015-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules