GPS for dynamic home point Issues
1349 5 2021-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David J.
First Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

Hey all - just started looking into getting the GPS module set up for dynamic home point on my Inspire 2, and I've got some questions.
First, just an observation: It seems like CrystalSky GPS module isn't quite up to the task for dynamic home point, so the GPS module is the only way to go.

Questions:
1) Is the GPS module compatible with the Cendence remote?

2) Is it possible to have the slave remote as the remote with the GPS module?
3) I have one cendence and one standard remote. For anybody with a similar setup, which do you have as master and which as slave?

Thanks for any help!
2021-2-4
Use props
Killboydotcom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 346883 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes the GPS module works with Cendence.  I am not sure that you can set it to work with the slave remote, but I would doubt that.  I have that setup, 1 Cendence and 1 standard remote, I use the Cendence as master since it has more buttons and the camera operator typically focuses (get it?) on pointing the camera and not much else when we're flying.
2021-2-11
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Killboydotcom Posted at 2-11 21:26
Yes the GPS module works with Cendence.  I am not sure that you can set it to work with the slave remote, but I would doubt that.  I have that setup, 1 Cendence and 1 standard remote, I use the Cendence as master since it has more buttons and the camera operator typically focuses (get it?) on pointing the camera and not much else when we're flying.

Sweet, thanks. Yeah, more buttons the better haha. Where do you attach the GPS module?
2021-2-13
Use props
Killboydotcom
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

David J. Posted at 2-13 22:02
Sweet, thanks. Yeah, more buttons the better haha. Where do you attach the GPS module?

That is a bit tricky IMO.  This thing is such an afterthought, there is no slick way to mount it and route the cord so that it doesn't get bound up.  I had the module mounted with the included velcro onto the top/back of the remote, centered between the antennas, but it doesn't get a very clear shot of the sky back there.  I recently moved the velcro strip up onto the top of the Crystal Sky screen housing, and I can put it on there when needed, but I'm not going to leave it on unless I plan to be moving around away from home point.  The cord is just too unwieldy when it's up on top of there like that.
2021-2-14
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Killboydotcom Posted at 2-14 16:59
That is a bit tricky IMO.  This thing is such an afterthought, there is no slick way to mount it and route the cord so that it doesn't get bound up.  I had the module mounted with the included velcro onto the top/back of the remote, centered between the antennas, but it doesn't get a very clear shot of the sky back there.  I recently moved the velcro strip up onto the top of the Crystal Sky screen housing, and I can put it on there when needed, but I'm not going to leave it on unless I plan to be moving around away from home point.  The cord is just too unwieldy when it's up on top of there like that.

That makes sense. Just switch it up to the top when you really need the dynamic home point and otherwise just leave it down low. Sounds like that might be the way to do it. Thanks
2021-2-14
Use props
Killboydotcom
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

David J. Posted at 2-14 17:05
That makes sense. Just switch it up to the top when you really need the dynamic home point and otherwise just leave it down low. Sounds like that might be the way to do it. Thanks

Well I just leave the whole thing off and tucked into the carry case until needed.  It's just a quick plug into the T-connector and stick it on the velcro.  That way the excess wiring isn't dangling around or getting wrapped up in the way.
2021-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules