Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Shell cracks - please vote!
48835 411 2015-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
musman1978
lvl.3

Germany

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-7-13 16:44
Ed can you tell me if this is covered under warranty? Some people over at the phantom pilots are s ...

read previous posts,
they confirmed that this will be covered by warranty.

I cannot imagine other option here ...

2015-7-13
Use props
rdc44444
Second Officer

United States

musman1978 Posted at 2015-7-13 16:52
read previous posts,
they confirmed that this will be covered by warranty.

Okay thanks. Btw  My stress crack is on the rear arm. I have some slight discoloration on my other two p3's and I'm afraid they may develop into cracks down the road.
2015-7-13
Use props
musman1978
lvl.3

Germany

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-7-13 17:11
Okay thanks. Btw  My stress crack is on the rear arm. I have some slight discoloration on my other  ...

yeap starts  almost always with rear arms, and white marks will change into cracks after few flights,
you have to decide when to kick of warranty.
for sure you will be without P3 for at least 1 month.'

Br,
2015-7-13
Use props
rdc44444
Second Officer

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-13 03:08
Kyokushin, keep in mind that most people only visit this forum when they have a problem with their P ...

Most people don't inspect or know what to look for. To be honest if I had never read this thread  I probably would have never noticed and kept flying until it was too late. Glad I spotted it early.
2015-7-13
Use props
ScottyT
Second Officer

Australia

lev Posted at 2015-7-13 16:10
Look at this vote from other side. I viewed this Subject 5 days ago and Voted as "3.  My shell is cl ...

You could try using cable ties on the two rear arms, as others have done in this thread. That should get you by for now.

Of course you could return for warranty but you'll be without it for 6 to 8 weeks by the sounds. That appears to be DJI's saving grace at this time, as people are just taking things upon themselves and voiding their warranties altogether by opening the case up.

Not ideal, but hey
2015-7-13
Use props
ScottyT
Second Officer

Australia

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-7-13 17:24
Most people don't inspect or know what to look for. To be honest if I had never read this thread   ...

That's what I expect too. I didn't realise until I saw a thread like this - I was wondering what all these silly people were on about.

I reckon it's a bigger problem than they realise or care to acknowledge. Time will tell.
2015-7-13
Use props
lev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 447963 ft
Bulgaria

Yesterday I had nothing, today, after 20-minute flight, I see this.

Total flight time: 5.46 hours
Total distance: 63 399 meters.
Total flights: 56
Never crashed.

As I see cracks are very small for now, that's why I am asking if I can use it or not.

Thanks,
Lev
thumb_IMG_0596_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0594_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0595_1024.jpg
2015-7-13
Use props
musman1978
lvl.3

Poland

lev Posted at 2015-7-13 19:32
Yesterday I had nothing, today, after 20-minute flight, I see this.

Total flight time: 5.46 hour ...

... P3 will not fall apart during flight ...
this needs to be your decision when to stop and use warranty.

I have something similar and still flying .... I mean I have only white mark not full crack.

just to be fair ... DJI should tell us if we can use P3 or not ... as they hold design
2015-7-13
Use props
lev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-13 17:52
You could try using cable ties on the two rear arms, as others have done in this thread. That shou ...

Thank you, it is good solution to save some time and have a working machine.
2015-7-13
Use props
lev
lvl.3
Bulgaria

musman1978 Posted at 2015-7-13 19:45
... P3 will not fall apart during flight ...
this needs to be your decision when to stop and use w ...

Thank you!
2015-7-13
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

If you're a good pilot and don't crash your Phantom, you could wait till late fall to send the unit in for replacement of the shell. However if you manage to crash the unit, too bad so sad, no warranty on the shell.

It's not ideal, but lose two months of use, NOW, or possibly eat the cost of s shell replacement later.

Social media can be your friend. Get the word out to inspect the Phantom 3 at regular intervals, and document your concerns with customer service at DJI.
2015-7-13
Use props
tony.roulston
lvl.1

Australia

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-9 23:47
Mtnmaddman...

I have some experience with designing plastic parts that interface with screws.  My  ...

Great idea, blue locktite will also do the trick, I used on my Helis.

Re-torque the screws SHOULD NOT be required, but not a bad idea as you get to know the bird, and something to do while you do the initial charge.

With your plastic engineering background, could one make a mood of the shell and fabricate a carbon fibre she'll as a third party replacement? I would so go for that.

TR
2015-7-13
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Do not use normal blue locktite because it may cause a crack - it react badly with a plastick. You need to use a locklite designed to work with plastick.
2015-7-13
Use props
fwickeha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

tony.roulston Posted at 2015-7-13 21:01
Great idea, blue locktite will also do the trick, I used on my Helis.

Re-torque the screws SHOULD ...

NEVER use any Loctite product on these plastic shells.  Even Loctite warns not to use it.
2015-7-13
Use props
fwickeha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-7-13 22:25
Do not use normal blue locktite because it may cause a crack - it react badly with a plastick. You n ...

Have you, have you heard of anyone using epoxy or fiberglass resin?
2015-7-13
Use props
azdevv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 171 ft
United States

Thank goodness this is only happening to 20 people.  I'm sure it will stop there.  DJI can continue to hide their heads in the sand.  {:3_50:}
2015-7-13
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Poland

Someone guy here used epox. I bough epox and fiberglass and 'when' i got a crack, then i use it. Do NOT use polyesther resin, but Epox resin should be fine for plastic.
2015-7-13
Use props
azdevv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 171 ft
United States

You gotta love the comment that it's only 28 people out of 100,000.  This thread has been viewed under 2000 times.  All 100,000 user have not visited this thread, or this site, or even have the slightest clue that they have manufacturing defect cracks yet.
2015-7-13
Use props
InspirelessAggi
Second Officer

United States

fwickeha@hotmai Posted at 2015-7-13 22:50
NEVER use any Loctite product on these plastic shells.  Even Loctite warns not to use it.

The screws have blue loctite on them from the factory.   Even after you removed a scew, it's still there.  You can use blue loctite, just not in it's wet form.    put a small dab on the screw with a toothpick and then allow it to fully dry.   Then apply.    The screw will screw into a metal thread and not plastic.  
2015-7-13
Use props
musman1978
lvl.3

Poland

azdevv@gmail.co Posted at 2015-7-13 23:13
Thank goodness this is only happening to 20 people.  I'm sure it will stop there.  DJI can continue  ...

sure ... DJI will release new FW that will roll back all cracks
2015-7-13
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Poland

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-13 23:55
The screws have blue loctite on them from the factory.   Even after you removed a scew, it's still ...

I have readed it is a different kind of screw glue and that one could be used with plastick, but blue standard not.
2015-7-13
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-13 23:55
The screws have blue loctite on them from the factory.   Even after you removed a scew, it's still ...

The threads of the screw have a torque stripe type product on them not necessarily Loctite.

My motor mounting screws only had the blue thread compound on one side not totally curounding the screw.

Looks like this product. http://www.mcmaster.com/#torque-striping-paint/=y1avs4
2015-7-13
Use props
InspirelessAggi
Second Officer

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-14 00:09
The threads of the screw have a torque stripe type product on them not necessarily Loctite.

My mo ...

Yep, probably what it is.   Can't tell by looks but dried appearance resembles loc-tite.   
2015-7-13
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-14 00:19
Yep, probably what it is.   Can't tell by looks but dried appearance resembles loc-tite.

Loctite is more translucent and even after cure has a very distinctive smell. The coating used on my unit is a full blue color and has no smell.

The company that I worked for used 150-200 little 1/4 ounce tubes of the stuff per month. You could coat 200 plus fasteners with a tube. Larger tubes had problems with starting to premature harden.
TorqueSeal.jpg
TorqueSeal.jpg
2015-7-13
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-7-13 16:44
Ed can you tell me if this is covered under warranty? Some people over at the phantom pilots are s ...

It is covered by the warranty.  Unless you have over tighten the screws or added other user fixes.  We will cover it and look at those that are under the other category.
2015-7-13
Use props
Zombie Hunter
lvl.1

Australia

fwickeha@hotmai Posted at 2015-7-13 22:50

Damn, I never knew, I guess my heli parts being carbon, and not moulded plastic,  might have been why I never saw a problem.

Good safety tip there all, NEVER use Locktite on plastic, and NEVER cross the beams.  

I am glad someone was awake.
2015-7-13
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

Henkel Loctite has a product Loctite 425 Assure, that is designed for plastics. Works for plastic to plastic and plastic to metal adhesion.

Loctite® 425™ Assure™
Instant Adhesive
Low strength, fast surfacecuring
threadlocker for
plastic fasteners. Can be
used as a tamper-proofing
agent for the head of
screws. Can be applied
before or after assembly.
2015-7-13
Use props
Chemman
lvl.1

United States

Loctite Assure 425 blue cyanoacrylate adhesive is compatible with metal and plastic materials with a 24 hr cure time. Provides a 90 sec fixture time. Minimum to maximum operating temperatures are -65 °F to +180 °F.

So since the 425 is a cyanoacrylate I would not suggest using this product at all.  24 hour cure time goes by and you will probably never get that screw back out.  Cyanoacrylate is super glue.  
2015-7-13
Use props
greenbean
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-10 08:04
Come on, Tahoe. By your reckoning an issue isn't an issue unless the majority of people are experie ...

I think Ed must be referring to me because I have both a halogen light and magnifier with articulating arms mounted to my desk because I'm far sighted. With that said, and second guessing myself after having read of the possibility of an illusion and only a casting defect I inspected again and to my surprise the two places are casting defects causing a color/shadow variation and not crack    ~  yet    …..my other P3P is definitely cracked. I don't use guards but I have a set of AerialFreaks quick release (check out their video) that fit extremely tight and I think when I shave off the excess weight of the mounting plate and knubs then modify them to accept a clamp it will give the arms structural strength. Don't really want to add 80g   but
2015-7-14
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

Chemman Posted at 2015-7-14 09:22
Loctite Assure 425 blue cyanoacrylate adhesive is compatible with metal and plastic materials with a ...

Yes it is a cyanoacrylate product. The break away torque on a M10 threaded fastener is 4 inch pounds. Nothing in the scheme of things.
2015-7-14
Use props
LeHussard
lvl.3
Flight distance : 297523 ft
France

9 flights
9832m
1h04
1 shell crack, rear arm....
2015-7-14
Use props
HunterBrooks
Second Officer

United States

Thanks to this thread, I just inspected my P3P with a magnifying glass I had lying around, and no stress cracks at all.  I voted.

Just two words of caution when throwing around the numbers like "over 2,000 views", and using the voting numbers to calculate statistical relevance of a random sample; 1) this thread is now 4 pages long, and each time you view this thread, the count goes up.  I can see the same names commenting over and over again, nevermind the same people coming back to see how the discussion is going.  So, 2,000 views doesn't mean 2,000 individual people.   

With respect to voting numbers, this forum in no way represents the entire global universe of PH3 owners - not even if you tried to count only English speaking, North America owners.  However, IT IS a random sample of this DJI Phantom 3 Forum participants who ALSO felt like voting.  That's it.  So, 49 people on this forum who opened that thread and decided to vote believe they have stress cracks - 186 in total.  Think of it this way, when the first two people voted, and one person said "yes", and the other said "no", does that mean at that time that 50% of all PH3 owners have stress cracks?  Probably not.

Also, just watch the placebo effect.  If I just randomly pointed out into the ocean and said, "OMG, look at that whale!", a large number of people would respond with, "Oh yeah, I see it."  Even if nothing was there.  All plastic molds have some blemishes and discoloration.  So, I'm not saying people aren't having real stress cracks, just watch the "mob effect", and seeing something that might not actually be there.  But if it's there, then vote, and contact DJI and open a case.  Kind of a dead issue already - Tahoe_Ed said if your case is legit, DJI will fix it.           

That said, I'm glad this thread was started if it helped even just one person discover some cracks they might not have noticed before their warranty expired.  That's what this forum is for.   
2015-7-14
Use props
InspirelessAggi
Second Officer

United States

All good points.  I agree.  Fix those birds while you can.  Fly, repeat.  
2015-7-14
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-13 03:08
Kyokushin, keep in mind that most people only visit this forum when they have a problem with their P ...
Phantom help
This is not the way this is coming down, people are finding this thread and then inspecting there p3,s and then finding the problem.  In this case the thread is making them aware of the problem to behoove them to inspect, that is when they find the problem.  They are not looking here to resole they are stumbling across the thread, and then discovering their own p3 has a problem.

some look at there craft and vote no before they have enough flights to tell,  and then come back later and say they have developed cracks.  Add that into your stats also. The forum stats are likely not accurate but they are likely off in the opposite direction that you are proclaiming they are.  I say they all will crack given time.
2015-7-14
Use props
HunterBrooks
Second Officer

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-15 09:52
This is not the way this is coming down, people are finding this thread and then inspecting there  ...

Hey mtnmaddman, fundamentally, I agree with you - that's the purpose of this forum.  People are reading these posts, and thinking about the issue in terms of their own Phantom.  But again, we shouldn't make absolute statements that lead people to believe that everyone who now inspects their PH3 are seeing stress cracks.  I did the exact same thing today - read this post, checked my P3P with a magnifying glass, and no stress cracks.  And I fly pretty aggressively.  So, re-writing your one paragraph ...

"This is not the way this is coming down, people are finding this thread and then inspecting there p3,s and then finding the problem [or not finding a problem].  In this case the thread is making them aware of the problem to behoove them to inspect, that is when they find the problem [or not find the problem].  They are not looking here to resole they are stumbling across the thread, and then discovering their own p3 has a problem [or doesn't have a problem]."
2015-7-14
Use props
greenbean
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

2 hours 14 mins in the air and all is good…..but how long will this hole and the other 2 just like it going to last?? They are not cracks yet….but.    They are flaws in production of casting and I  believe these holes will be the ones that will fail if any.  My other P3P, 1/2 the holes are compromised, but didn't notice until reading all the threads....but that one, my neighbor came into my yard swatted it out of the air...then had another accident due to it being swatted, messed up the barometer....or at least thats what I'm sticking to.
IMG_0045.JPG
2015-7-14
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-7-15 10:07
Hey mtnmaddman, fundamentally, I agree with you - that's the purpose of this forum.  People are re ...

Yeah I was applying and referring to the pole reflecting the 25% having trouble and implying that the 75% reflects, the ones who are looking at this and saying they have no trouble, we are saying the same thing, but let me add the period of time the p3 has been out and flight time seeming to be relevant, plus the number of people who never sign on to a forum, is all a statistical consideration ,  The purpose of a pole is to gather and analyze information,  I believe this pole all things considered is likely applicable to larger numbers,  If we give it an error rate of 5 or even 10% error we are still looking at considerable numbers here.
2015-7-14
Use props
druiz100
lvl.1

United States

First of all you do not need a magnifying glass to see the problem.  The people who say that are belittling the problem.  Now for the reason people are mad.  First we don't know what the problem, DJI does.  Why do they know.  They got access to 100s of P3s  or more to test.  They could test over and over again the rear arms to bend the plastic for a test of 50 or 100 flights or more to see what breaks or where the cracks show up.  I talking full speed run and a quick stop over and over again.  Not hovering for 20 mins and saying nothing wrong with this shell.  All companies do these tests and I have no doubt DJI did these tests.  And with the results of the test they did a cost to fix any problems projection.   Again all companies do this, this is normal.   They hope the defects don't effect as many uses as the projections show.  

They use numbers and graphs to show this is a small problem.  Funny how that needed a bigger LA shop to fix this small problem.  

Like many people who read this forum I found out about the cracking on the forum and looked and yes I got a crack.   I  will mostly likely return it for another one.  Look DJI made a great drone, yes people are piss,  reason well for alot of people $1300 is alot of money, cracks shouldn't not be happening with this very low amount of flights.  Another reason people are pissed is they are saying to send it in.  Look People paid to fly this drone, not to give it back to DJI for a months or two.   Plus how are this going to replace these shells,  I see posts from people who know this stuff here on this forum on this very thread saying that there still not selling replacement shells.  How are they going to fix it without putting another shell on if they dont have shells on hand.  

But in the end DJI is starting to do the right thing.  I dont know if its offical policy now to automatic fix the shells by telling people to send the P3 in.  If so then good for DJI.  Oh and one last thing,  you may want to give people who have to send there Phantom 3's for this shell replacement a very nice discount on there next order from DJI, just a thought.
2015-7-14
Use props
HunterBrooks
Second Officer

United States

My guess is they're keeping the shells on hand for replacement inventory, and limiting the number for after market parts only.  

100% agree with your product management theory - I was a product manager in a previous life, and that is what we did.

Lastly, you will never, ever hear me say that people aren't allowed to be pissed.  Back at the end of April my P3P cost me an extra $300 at the hospital to fix a broken pinky after punching my fist through a wall when I found out I couldn't fly my brand new shiny P3P cause the IOS app wasn't ready for download yet.  Okay, okay, I just made up the whole hospital part, but I was pissed.  : )  I've just learned that talking in absolutes is a slippery slope that builds up like rolling a snowball in the snow, getting bigger and bigger until the "angry mob" takes over.  Like the stranger who moves into an old western town, someone's cow dies the next day, and the growing crowd at the town hall decides to lynch the new guy cause it must be his fault.  I read a post this morning from a guy literally ranting and arguing with someone here about all the problems, only to have him admit later in the post that he doesn't even own a PH3 - that's he's just thinking about getting one.  He got so caught up in the angry mob, and he's never even owned a quad.  

So, that's my only concern.  We're feeding into the competitors hands by posting some of our rants, and not just sticking to the facts, note our concerns here on the forum, and move on.  Get pissed, we all have that right.  We just shouldn't make it personal, and make such broad-stroked generalities that cast such a huge dark shadow over what is a very cool product.
2015-7-14
Use props
druiz100
lvl.1

United States

Now one thing, Is what Ed posts is it official or not.  It not why doesn't a official DJI rep come in here and say look if you got a crack in the area that is cracking, just send it in its covered under warranty.
2015-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules