Shell cracks - please vote!
49668 410 2015-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

druiz100@hotmai Posted at 2015-7-15 13:43
Now one thing, Is what Ed posts is it official or not.  It not why doesn't a official DJI rep come i ...

Ed is from DJI and he confirmed that all cracks that are not created by user (by crash etc) are covered by warranty.
Important is that shell was not opened by user etc ... as those kind of moves are breaking warranty.
also we are all waiting for official communication from DJI - by email or on website if this will be resolved for future shells.
now it looks that DJI will replace cracked shells with new that will sooner or later crack.
2015-7-14
Use props
fredsheldon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29193 ft
United States

Is there a problem with using tie wraps to secure the arms as far as the warranty is concerned? Can we continue to fly the unit and send it in at a later date when things slow down a bit? Is there a time limit for when the warranty for the cracks runs out? Thanks in advance for your response.
2015-7-15
Use props
azdevv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171 ft
United States

fredsheldon@aol Posted at 2015-7-15 22:00
Is there a problem with using tie wraps to secure the arms as far as the warranty is concerned? Can  ...

I really can't see how using zip ties would affect warranty.  I also decided to wait a few months to see if DJI offers something more sensible than sending the thing in for 2 months.  That also lets time pass a little on the warranty so that when I finally do get it back, the warranty period will almost be up and I can open her up and reinforce the new shell if DJI hasn't done anything on the overall integrity by then.
2015-7-15
Use props
apezz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249915 ft
United States

Here is mine which I didn't notice without a very close look.  I emailed DJI support to see how I should proceed. Then I zip tied all four prop ends. So sad to see such a high tech piece of equipment jury rigged like this.

Crack

Crack
2015-7-15
Use props
LarrysP3P
lvl.1

United States

I found cracks today after seeing this.  I think I will call support tomorrow and report the problem  so I have a record logged with DJI.  Will keep flying and checking the cracks. Hope they come up with a fix for the problem.  I think the epoxy idea is a total fix.  However it should be a mfg fix.

2015-7-15
Use props
fwickeha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

Just saw this.  http://www.uavbits.net/store/p28 ... orcement_plate.html
2015-7-16
Use props
heclectic
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hello every one.

Yeh, me too I'm afraid...

Like many, I have asked DJI what to do and they told me to send it at my expense to Germany, where they will effect a warranty repair (whatever that might be).

Firstly, it isn't acceptable that I must pay for expensive shipping from the UK to Germany myself. Secondly, also like many here have wondered; why should I have absolutely no option other than to be without my (expensive) property for what will inevitably be a long time, for a fix that might or might not be an end to the matter?

To date, and given this and similar threads around the web, DJI's lack of contact and information about this is really rather poor. (BTW, I will credit DJI with a benefit of the doubt, in deeming the fanboyish, verging on intelligence insulting comments by some contributors on these threads, as not being authentic representatives of DJI.)

In the meantime, and back with my own support request, I have replied to DJI, telling them their proposed solution is unreasonable and that my Phantom 3 is now zip-tied while I await a more considered response and solution to this issue. I have yet to receive a further reply.

So come on DJI, let's have a suite of more reasonable options... ones that better reflect the circumstances and requirements of individual customers.

I so far still refuse to believe, that to do so is beyond the wit of the makers of such an otherwise quite remarkable product.

Thank you.
2015-7-16
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

heclectic Posted at 2015-7-17 05:33
Hello every one.

Yeh, me too I'm afraid...

yes you are right,
I have one additional option with shop where I bought my P3,
they can sand to DJI so I will not pay ... but this is only option if you have P3 from physical shop.

important is that DJI should communicate officially status and not ignore problem like they are doing now....
2015-7-16
Use props
lev
lvl.2
Flight distance : 447963 ft
Bulgaria

Same here. I bought it in Hong Kong, now I am at Russia. DHL asking $300 to send it to HK. Crazy

So I bought advanced model because no money for PRO version, and now I am paying $300 just for returning a no good quality product...
BTW - I said to DJI that I don't have $300 to send it to them. They answered that it is OK, they can wait till I have it.

vWpHHyVfD4cxfH1u4ya7EqXyvP7NbY7WxrRk0iMQiwU-2.png
2015-7-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

lev Posted at 2015-7-18 06:11
Same here. I bought it in Hong Kong, now I am at Russia. DHL asking $300 to send it to HK. Crazy

Did they issue an RMA?  Please let me know.
2015-7-17
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

lev Posted at 2015-7-18 06:11

Ouch, that's a lot. You might have to do a band-aid job yourself.

You were just going to send the body, without a battery or remote etc?
2015-7-17
Use props
lev
lvl.2
Bulgaria

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-18 12:41
Did they issue an RMA?  Please let me know.

Yes, they sent me "Free RMA Report Form For End Customer" to fill it and request to sent Phantom to them and then provide a tracking number.

DHL using a bulk weight, and price is: 21,736.84 x 0.0175594 = $382

It is attached.
1.00 RUB
=
0.0175594 USD

dhl

dhl
2015-7-17
Use props
lev
lvl.2
Bulgaria

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-18 13:29
Ouch, that's a lot. You might have to do a band-aid job yourself.

You were just going to send the ...

Just a body... no remote controller, no battery, nothing.
2015-7-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

lev Posted at 2015-7-18 15:45
Yes, they sent me "Free RMA Report Form For End Customer" to fill it and request to sent Phantom to ...

7kg for just the copter is really high.  It should be about half of that.
2015-7-18
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

lev Posted at 2015-7-18 15:45
Yes, they sent me "Free RMA Report Form For End Customer" to fill it and request to sent Phantom to ...

Wow that is insane, I would suggest that you tape with strapping tape the end of the arms, You only need a wrap or two, And  then a zip tie , that will hold until this is resolved, by then you may be able to buy a carbon fiber aftermarket shell or a revised shell offered by DJI.  You really have no other sane choice.  In your case your warranty is essentially no good anyway.

You will just recieve back a unit that is going to also crack, (likely) unless the problem has been addressed and the replacement shell has been reengineered why would you waste even a hundred dollars to ship it back,  and wait weeks for its return.

This is absurd that they havent addressed this yet, an aftermarket superficial fix could be built for this sleeving the screw tubes and and using longer bolts, This is nuts, The expense being incurred by everyone needs to be reviewed, and a solution, with that in consideration should be developed.
2015-7-18
Use props
apezz
lvl.2
United States

As I read more and more this looks like a long standing issue with all three versions of the Phantom product line. It appears DJI may have attempted to address the issue in the P3 version since the cracking is in a different area than the P2 and P1. But the problem has not been resolved and is a serious concern for me.  Something I haven't read about is a flight issue due to the cracking. Has anyone heard of a crash or flight issue due to these cracks?
2015-7-19
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

apezz Posted at 2015-7-19 20:57
As I read more and more this looks like a long standing issue with all three versions of the Phantom ...

no, those cracks are not caused by operator issues or crashes in most cases, - check voting results
this is design issue of P3 maybe also caused by material used.

I have already one crack and I think I see place for 2nd,
check my yt videos ... I'm flying only in perfect conditions with experience on other UAV much harder to operate.

https://www.youtube.com/user/musman1978/videos
2015-7-19
Use props
apezz
lvl.2
United States

musman1978 Posted at 2015-7-19 22:23
no, those cracks are not caused by operator issues or crashes in most cases, - check voting result ...

I was actually asking if the cracks have ever caused a phantom to fail and crash?
2015-7-19
Use props
reinhardfreh
lvl.2

Austria

Hi,

After about 43 flights my shell is cracked as well. What the fu..... I bought my P3P last weekend.

crack

crack
2015-7-19
Use props
lvl.4

United States

reinhardfreh@ya Posted at 2015-7-20 05:16
Hi,

After about 43 flights my shell is cracked as well. What the fu..... I bought my P3P last weeke ...

return it if you can. you have 7 days, normally.
2015-7-19
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

apezz Posted at 2015-7-20 04:49
I was actually asking if the cracks have ever caused a phantom to fail and crash?

ah ok sorry,

don't know but looks that those cracks should not cause crash,
but I cannot say for sure.

as I have small baby crack ;) I'm still flying ...
2015-7-19
Use props
rune.venes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9998369 ft
Norway

After 30-35 flights i noticed those 2 cracks.
2015-7-20
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-18 20:54
7kg for just the copter is really high.  It should be about half of that.

Tahoe_Ed

after all of those examples can we request official statement from DJI?
how DJI will address this in future shells?

you cannot say we have only 60 units affected out of 100000 ;)
2015-7-20
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

musman1978 Posted at 2015-7-21 01:32
Tahoe_Ed

after all of those examples can we request official statement from DJI?

Their official response is to send the unit in for repairs if your shell has a crack.  There had been nothing else from them since that announcement.  I will be having meetings in LA this week.  Hopefully I will get some more information.
2015-7-20
Use props
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-21 01:40
Their official response is to send the unit in for repairs if your shell has a crack.  There had b ...

Shells will be available shortly.   Quite a few dealers have them on order and are taking pre-orders.  

1.  will changing the shell void warranty?  Will replacing a factory part with another factory part, void the warranty?
2.  If I replace the shell and it happens again,  how will this be dealt with?
3. What happens if you send it in for repair and a new shell is replaced by DJI LA and it cracks again?  How will this be handled?
4.   Is DJI coming up with any sort of strategy to address the inherent instability of this area?  Obviously if shells are replaced and it keeps happening, it is a problem.  I fail to believe that is only a torque error from the factory, since cracks have developed after 40-50 flights.
5.  If we purchase replacement shells and replace them ourselves,  shouldn't there be a compensation?  I mean, we saved shipping costs and labor for DJI.   I understand that people crash things, but for those whom did not crash and it happened anyway, costs were incurred to right the issue.

I'm not going to send in my unit for repair.   I will wait for shells to be delivered and do the best I can until they arrive.  It's my choice.  But those questions need to be asked when you meet the DJI crew.

Others who feel it best to send it in and wait 8 weeks, that's their choice.

2015-7-20
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

Their official response is to send the unit in for repairs if your shell has a crack.  There had b ...

we all appreciate that,
please keep us in the loop ...
2015-7-20
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Unless the shell is redesigned to spread the motor torque to more fasteners and a larger area there's going to be cracking again.

The two outermost fasteners on each arm carry all the torsional twist of the motors. The motor screws retain the motors, nothing more. There is no coupling of the upper and lower shell for the motors.

If I were having issues, I'd wait until a newly designed shell comes out rather than eating the shipping to California and losing the use of the quad for two months. If nothing in the shell design changes, the replaced shells will crack again in about the same number of cycles as the first batch did.
2015-7-20
Use props
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-21 05:20
Unless the shell is redesigned to spread the motor torque to more fasteners and a larger area there' ...

I doubt that it statistically matters to DJI.   I don't see it changing.   But I hope.
2015-7-20
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

1111 Posted at 2015-7-21 05:34
I doubt that it statistically matters to DJI.   I don't see it changing.   But I hope.

Maybe that's why they hired the new lawyer. Looking to mitigate their losses.

DJI's design, it's up to DJI to fix it.

I'm off to fly this evening, so enjoy yourselves.
2015-7-20
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-21 05:44
Maybe that's why they hired the new lawyer. Looking to mitigate their losses.

DJI's design, it's  ...

yeap correct!

I can also say that P3 is an amazing UAV
look at this:

2015-7-20
Use props
LeHussard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 297523 ft
France

1 hour flight, 9 flights, smooth landings no crash...
And a white line is incoming slowly at a rear screw hole....
2015-7-21
Use props
heclectic
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thank you musman1978 & Tahoe_Ed.

Hopefully this will move us forward on the issue...
2015-7-21
Use props
Turdle
lvl.2

United States

I take my "No cracks" vote back. I now have cracks in the rear arm screw holes.
2015-7-21
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

Turdle Posted at 2015-7-22 03:12
I take my "No cracks" vote back. I now have cracks in the rear arm screw holes.

we can say this will affect all users earlier or later,
I was also voting for no cracks ;) one day later situation was different
2015-7-21
Use props
mark1975
lvl.3
Flight distance : 92454 ft
United Kingdom

I have 2 cracks now ,
2015-7-21
Use props
wmurray219
lvl.1
Flight distance : 300089 ft
United States

Hi Guys,

This is 30 flights in/2 hrs 33 min flight time. (I've had the P3P for 10 days)  I've been checking every time I've packed it up.  Not trying to exaggerate, this is my first quad, and I've babied it far more than most.  No crashes, no hard landings, longest flight has been 15 minutes.  I noticed what appeared to a stress line in another screw well, but that's not the one that cracked first.  I'm just following this thread for the time being, although I wonder if I'd be better to return to dealer and wait to repurchase once the issue has been addressed.  Thoughts?

Will

P3Crack.jpg
2015-7-21
Use props
Eagle-ONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

Here is one more to the collection of cracks
IMG_1717 copy.jpg
2015-7-21
Use props
lvl.4

United States

Eagle-ONE Posted at 2015-7-22 08:06
Here is one more to the collection of cracks

That's where mine was.  Mine was V shaped though
2015-7-21
Use props
Eagle-ONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

1111 Posted at 2015-7-22 08:21
That's where mine was.  Mine was V shaped though

any answer from DJI?
2015-7-21
Use props
lvl.4

United States

Yes, they would replace it 8 weeks from now.  No thank you.  I fixed it myself and ordered a replacement shell from a few locations.  Whomever gets it in stock gets it.  I'll cancel the second order.  
2015-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules