Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Shell cracks - please vote!
48708 411 2015-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SectorDrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

As long as the crack are not motor screws... Youre good
2015-8-22
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-8-22 17:17
As long as the crack are not motor screws... Youre good

The point, nobody will buy a phantom3 with cracks
2015-8-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I notice a lot of people reporting that they have cracks in the arms, but has anyone with cracks had the arm break off completely or fail in any other way?
2015-8-22
Use props
tbhone
New

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-13 02:52
I am not sure why you have an issue with my comments.  We have had users here state that over 25%  ...

My DJI dealer just exchanged my Phantom 3 Professional for me for a crack that was more like a 'chunk' after less than 10 hours of flight.  

The new one just came home after it's first run through 4 batteries and what do you know, I have a crack.  This is absolutely 25% *at least* of customers who have spent upwards of $1,000 on a product which is flawed.  You say this issue is resolved.  If that is the case please elaborate on what the repair process entails.  Based on your comment I would expect newly redesigned shell and/or polymer, motors swapped out for the newer E305's, and screws torqued on properly.  Somehow I suspect that is not what actually happens...I love this copter and product package, but I can't watch it fall apart in my hands.  HAS this issue actually been resolved?
2015-8-24
Use props
ScottyT
Second Officer

Australia

tbhone Posted at 2015-8-24 16:35
My DJI dealer just exchanged my Phantom 3 Professional for me for a crack that was more like a 'chu ...

Good question.
2015-8-24
Use props
tbhone
New

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-13 02:52
I am not sure why you have an issue with my comments.  We have had users here state that over 25%  ...

My dealer offered me a refund after opening several Phantom 3 Professionals from his shelf and noticing cracks with the aid of a flash light.  None were very big, but every single unit had at least 2 hairline cracks.  I made arrangements to visit a neighboring dealer who claimed to have received a shipment just 2 weeks ago, and I saw the packing slip with my own eyes.  We checked two units, both had cracks.

The Phantom 3 Pro I currently have with only one crack seems like the best of the bunch sadly.  I am a very unhappy customer and were it not for all the accessories I have ordered from various vendors with difficult return policies such as ebay, I would be switching to 3DR right now; gimbal or no gimbal at least the bird doesn't implode.  

I would like a comment from DJI on this.  Why should any of us send our units in for warranty service if brand new in the box Phantoms show the same issue; seemingly at a rate of 100%.
2015-8-24
Use props
Jack57
lvl.4

Canada

tbhone Posted at 2015-8-25 10:55
My dealer offered me a refund after opening several Phantom 3 Professionals from his shelf and not ...

+1
Let's see what Tahoe Ed has to say about this...He's probably gonna say something that most of us will dislike.
2015-8-25
Use props
piperalp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2082234 ft
Turkey

I have the same stress crack issue on my phantom after 6 hours flight
2015-8-29
Use props
Bobabc
lvl.1

United States

I had cracks on three of the four arms after around 50 hours of flight.  The cracks were all at the screws where the two arm halves are screwed together.  The cracks were allowing the arms to flex as the two halves would separate, this allowed the motors to move from side to side slightly.   I took it apart this week and noticed that the metal inserts that the screws screw into were falling out of place do to the cracks.

I planned to buy a new body off of Amazon, so I figured I'd try and fix this one.  I ended up getting some plastic epoxy and building up the arms around the screw nut inserts.  Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures, but the process was fairly simple.  The arms are now more ridged that they were new.  I've only flown it twice since, so we'll see how long it holds up.
2015-8-29
Use props
piperalp
lvl.1
Turkey

I have 1 crack for now after 6 hours flight
2015-8-29
Use props
piperalp
lvl.1
Turkey

batur.etker@gma Posted at 2015-7-30 21:55
I have same problem and dont know what to do. In Turkey there is no offical repair service and i thi ...

I have same problem also from Turkey after 6 hour flight
2015-8-29
Use props
Kiaboy
New

United Kingdom

I check my p3p after and before each flight & low and behold today after my flight there it is a coupe of cracks on different arms. 6Hr 35min total flight time. 40 Flights and a total distance of 176,267ft flown. This is not acceptable for a piece of kit costing over £1000 sterling. I will be getting in touch with my retailer and looking for a refund.
IMG_1902.jpg
2015-8-30
Use props
capbat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

How do you make surveys? Can't find how.

Bat
2015-8-30
Use props
mgtkilledkenny
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1155823 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Guys please help.. I've got these cracks today
2015-8-31
Use props
mgtkilledkenny
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1155823 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2015-8-31
Use props
PhantomHansie
New

Netherlands

I was going to buy a brand new Phantom 3 Pro next month.
This crack issue really makes me doubth its the right choice.

Does DJI give a compensation or refund for buying Arm reinforcement plates?
When does DJI started sending Arm reinforcement plates too everyone who has the problem?

Its really a DJI problem.
2015-8-31
Use props
tbhone
New

United States

PhantomHansie Posted at 2015-9-1 05:16
I was going to buy a brand new Phantom 3 Pro next month.
This crack issue really makes me doubth it ...

The Phantom 3 needs to be recalled.  This is a consumer affairs issue.  This might fly in other parts of the globe, but not in the USA.  

All of these customer reports and not a single word from DJI.  This is the definition of criminal

I suggest everyone with cracks contact the Consumer Product Safety Comission (CPSC) due to the fact that these cracks, left ignored, could cause the multicopter to fall from the sky and render grevious injury to person and property below.  There is no reason to wait for such an incident to begin litigation between operator and manufacturer.  The CPSC has the authority to investigate the claim and *order* DJI to recall the product if fault is found.  
2015-9-1
Use props
jayhkr
Second Officer

United States

Well add my bird to the list of cracks.  2 small ones just inside where the bigger 4 screws are at the end of the arms.  One crack each on two different arms.  I was going to hold off on buying the strong arm mounts, but lets just say that they are ordered now.  Not going to take a chance.......Really don't want to fly it tomorrow which is a bummer as it's my mini-vacation weekend and I had hopes in flying it every day.  I have about 21 flights in on it.  After my last flight last week, I loosened and hand tightened all the screws, as I have done each night after I fly.  I check it regularly, and tonight after my flight there they were.  She's a perfect flying bird, no horizon issues, no gimble issues, no FW issues, nothing......till now.  As minor as they look and with the potent winds we have this weekend I believe she will be grounded till my strong mounts come in.  To bad too, I just got done charging my batteries.  
2015-9-2
Use props
piperalp
lvl.1
Turkey

musman1978 Posted at 2015-7-21 22:53
we can say this will affect all users earlier or later,
I was also voting for no cracks ;) one day ...

can we open new voting ? as lots of people need to change their votes....
2015-9-3
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

jayhkr Posted at 2015-9-2 23:47
Well add my bird to the list of cracks.  2 small ones just inside where the bigger 4 screws are at t ...

Unless you are a sport pilot, there's no need to ground your Phantom for the small cracks waiting your Strong Arms.

I check the motor mount screws on mine weekly. I'm still using the quick disconnect prop guard mounting plates minus the guards. I used white silicone caulking between the plate and Phantom body. No cracks. I also have the stick gain turned way back so that I don't get any fast movements.

Then again, I'm still using FW 1.1.9 and the old Pilot app. It works, so it stays.
2015-9-6
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.3

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Still clean after 54 flights.
2015-9-6
Use props
Xeos
New

United States

I have a new P3P on the way. My first drone. What's the general recommendation? Should I get the Strong Arms and install them day 1? or wait to see if my unit is prone to the cracking?
2015-9-6
Use props
walky
lvl.1

Australia

I have had my P3P for 3 weeks. 2hr 12 mins total flight time over 16 flights. Cracks on 2 arms across motor mounts, and i on the rear hole behind the motor. NOT HAPPY! when I pay $2k for one of these.
I'm returning it to the retailer seeking a refund.
2015-9-6
Use props
apocnz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106588 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I assume the cracks are caused by the extra power available in the motors and/or the active breaking, causing more torque on the shell than previous models...

I've got 1 or 2 cracks, but I'd rather fly than sit and bitch about it.  In saying that, I can understand why people are up in arms about it, but if you put yourself in DJI's shoes, what's the solution short
of a massive and probably crippling recall ?
2015-9-6
Use props
sookainian
lvl.1

Singapore

Any update on how to prevent this crack ?

will losing all the screw and very lightly hand tighten them back will prevent this crack ?

I just bought my P3Pro and hope i can prevent this issue while it's still new and crack free
2015-9-7
Use props
jayhkr
Second Officer

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-6 11:00
Unless you are a sport pilot, there's no need to ground your Phantom for the small cracks waiting  ...

Thanks! I took her out yesterday and she flew just fine. Of course I wrapped each arm with electrical tape and two zip ties! Strong arm mounts should be here this week!
2015-9-7
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

apocnz@gmail.co Posted at 2015-9-7 00:33
I assume the cracks are caused by the extra power available in the motors and/or the active breaking ...

DJI has stated in other threads that if your Phantom has cracks to send it in to DJI for them to replace the shell.

Besides the cost of the shipping, you'll lose the unit for 2 plus months with no guarantee that it won't happen again.

IMO, the motor mounting screw hole cracks and the cracking around the three arm holes are two different issues. The motor mount screw hole cracks, IMO are caused by machine over torquing of the motor screws. The body screw cracks are caused by the load transference from the lower shell to the upper from motor torque.

The Strong Arm plates work because they spread the torque loading over a larger area instead of the three screws.

There are other methods to spread this torque load but involve taking the Phantom apart voiding the warranty.
2015-9-7
Use props
mark1975
lvl.4
Flight distance : 92454 ft
United Kingdom

^^^^^^^^^ well put Gregg I have the motor plates installed from uavbits.net they work perfect as I already had cracks in 2 of the holes..
2015-9-8
Use props
ctonyperry
lvl.3

United States

51 flights, just under 6 hours on my 3 week old P3P and I now have stress cracks on 2 of the arms. I have never crashed, landed hard, knocked it over or even looked at it sideways. I always keep it in the hard shell backpack and I baby it. This is absolutely not my fault. There's a thread over on phantompilots from a guy whose motor came off midflight and the damage is consistent with a stress crack. I basically can't fly this thing again until i find a solution.

Im pretty disappointed that my brand new p3p that I have been using within the mfger's guidelines is showing a defect this early on. Whether its a design flaw or a manufacturing problem, I'll leave to the engineers.
2015-9-9
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

I purchased a shell from my local distributer.  So yes, shells can be available. you just have to have dealer order it in for you.
2015-9-15
Use props
CONTROL FREQ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

ok.

after 122 flights and 18 hours and 18 minutes of flight time, i have 3 small cracks.

2 on one arm inside the screw wells and another inside of a screw well on another arm.

both arms are the rear arms.

i have 2 P3Ps. one is on it's way back from being serviced thru DJI under warrantee because of a flyaway and they graciously fixed it and i should get it back friday.

i guess i'll send this one back after my old one gets here.

i have a few questions...

1) with these stress cracks, are there documented cases where the cracks made the motors fail and crashed the copter?

2) is everyone not flying your Phantoms after these cracks?  i see a lot of people here coming up with their own fixes and some are just flying anyway with no fix.

3) does the Inspire 1 have these or similar issues because that's the one i actually bought but i cancelled it 30 minutes later and bought the P3P instead back in May.  

if the inspire has no issues, i may try to make a deal with DJI  ask to refund me full price and in return i'll buy the inspire.  
2015-9-16
Use props
jeffthibeault
lvl.1

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-8 16:21
DJI should make the shell available so we can change it ourselves.  Those who wish to do so.  Their ...

InspirelessAggi.  I couldn't help but notice your profile picture as it shows the same exact crack I have on my P3A. I just recently found it when I did an inspection after seeing all of the post on Facebook about cracks forming on the arms of the P3.  It's the only crack I have on mine and I'm not sure when it happened as I never crashed or had a hard landing with my P3A.  Did you send yours back in to DJI to be repaired or did they end up sending you the shell to switch out yourself? If you did replace the shell yourself, was it difficult to do?
2015-9-21
Use props
fwickeha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

CONTROL FREQ Posted at 2015-9-16 07:04
ok.

after 122 flights and 18 hours and 18 minutes of flight time, i have 3 small cracks.

Good luck.  Here's what I recd. today from DJI.
J. D. Today at 13:38
Unfortunately we do not have an upgrade program available for older units. Our repair facility can only repair or potentially replace the originally purchased DJI items. We would not be able to upgrade you to an Inspire Pro nor provide you with a 3rd party unit or camera.
2015-9-21
Use props
spunone69.gmail
lvl.4

United States

DJI service center in Santa Clara (Drones Plus) charged me $220 for the new shell and labor to replace it because of the 2 cracks...it sounds more like these guys are SMOKING cracks!! ha ha ha
2015-9-21
Use props
CONTROL FREQ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

spunone69.gmail Posted at 2015-9-21 19:30
DJI service center in Santa Clara (Drones Plus) charged me $220 for the new shell and labor to repla ...

you paid for a new shell?

i thought DJI was replacing them for free?
2015-9-24
Use props
spunone69.gmail
lvl.4

United States

Nope...they still aren't admitting any fault.  They sent pics of my cracks (right on the screw holes that hold the shell together) to DJI, and DJI said it was "user error"!! Which is total bullshit, I never had one crack on my shell until I put those stupid "quick release" prop guards on.  The guy at the service center said he tried the prop guards on his P3P and said they work fine.  Says that maybe I installed them wrong...yeah, right!!  I fix $50,000 color copiers for a living, I think I can screw eight screws thru eight holes without "over tightening" them, and the holes that cracked weren't even the holes that the prop guards attach to!! No, next time I'll just order the shell and replace it myself...I'm not waiting 2 or 3 months for DJI to do it, and I'm not paying Drones Plus $80 an hour to do a job that I can do myself...
2015-9-24
Use props
spunone69.gmail
lvl.4

United States

FYI - You can order just the shell from Amazon...
2015-9-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Phantom 3 Pro', is Still clean and blemish free. Knuckles are raw...
So I don't put it under the electron-microscope any more... Just fly.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-24
Use props
draadkar
lvl.4

Nigeria

cannot complain about anything. crashed twice and broke 1 prop. had it face down on the beach and had to strip to get all the sand out. regularly remove the motors and oil them. so far so good
2015-9-25
Use props
edbighi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

piperalp Posted at 2015-9-3 16:58
can we open new voting ? as lots of people need to change their votes....

That's an excellent idea. There are a lot of non crack believers who are now in the cracked phantom club.
2015-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules