Props can trickle charge the Battery on Flight ?
1266 15 2015-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi All,
I am doing some research and design that I could create a protoytpe for motor that has capacity to trickle charge back the battery while in flight.

or at least help to power up subsystem on the P3 to release some load on the main battery (like LED LIGHTs... or GPS system)

NOt sure if this is being pursued by any company now.....
2015-7-8
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

???

There is no such thing as 'free' energy.  The motors are turning the props.  The battery is being drained to turn the motors...   you can't get any advantage by 'generating' energy from the  props to put back into anything, it'll just flatten the batter quicker, as it will introduce load to the system...

2015-7-9
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Why not just get flexible solar panels and cover the whole top with it...
2015-7-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-7-9 19:38
Why not just get flexible solar panels and cover the whole top with it...

Attach your Phantom to your bicycle. Of course, the bicycle must have one of those USB power hubs so you can draw power. Oh yeah, you're also going to need someone to pedal the bike!

Fly? You want it to fly while we're charging it?
2015-7-9
Use props
Khador
lvl.2
Flight distance : 668100 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry but there is no conceivable way you could efficiently use a motor to trickle charge the battery that would not trade off badly in terms of added weight (which would reduce flying time and negate the benefits of this system), if this were a plane you could use the real life equivalent and drop a turbine out of the fuselage and glide this is not a plane though, it has no gliding ability (other than the CSC induced vertical one )
2015-7-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

If you pull really hard on your shoe laces you can lift yourself off the ground and fly too...
(This is what happens when we stop teaching science in schools.)
2015-7-9
Use props
AlphaZeroOne
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Despite all the put downs on your idea, good on you for thinking about this. Some of the best ideas that have literally changed the world were met with storms of cynicism. Some of the replies posted here are constructive, others not. It's not difficult to see which are useful to you. Good luck.
2015-7-9
Use props
mark1975
lvl.3
Flight distance : 92454 ft
United Kingdom

+1^^^^^^^^^^^
2015-7-9
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

And I was serious. They are making panels smaller and smaller every few months.
2015-7-9
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-9 22:39
If you pull really hard on your shoe laces you can lift yourself off the ground and fly too...
(This ...

Thanks….I just pulled a muscle laughing
2015-7-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Like I said...   This is what happens when we stop teaching science and physics in schools.
2015-7-9
Use props
uhayat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191421 ft
Pakistan

I read somewhere that in a few years there will be drones that utilize multiple batteries and each motor will have a small generator inside it and will charge the battery not being used and when the battery being used runs low the copter will switch to the other battery which was being charged earlier and so on. Interesting ideas.
2015-7-9
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-9 22:39
(This ...

So E=mc2 will not work
2015-7-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

uhayat@hotmail. Posted at 2015-7-10 07:44
I read somewhere that in a few years there will be drones that utilize multiple batteries and each m ...

This is what happens when we stop teaching science and physics in school.

People believe such things are possible.
2015-7-9
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Thanks for comments (bad or funny).... I worked for avionics for 5 yrs, and the plane engine when utilized is the one generating power on the plane...  

Just wondering if the moving prop can AT LEAST power up less power hungry systems like the LED, GPS sytems etc..  you just need to install a new motor with resolver windings for the output...or an effeiceint micro transformer to generate potential.

2015-7-9
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-10 09:45
Thanks for comments (bad or funny).... I worked for avionics for 5 yrs, and the plane engine when ut ...

Same like braking generators in hybrid cars, it is possible and I think it's being used in top secret projects which we might see 20 years from now.
2015-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules