Best battery practice?
1258 16 2021-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marc70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

Im wondering what's the best practice for battery maintenance/life span? Seeing as there's a count on the battery recharging, is it best to minimize this count by using up your battery to the full extent? I.e. There's 50% left after a flight, so use up the rest of it on some other short flight before recharging?
2021-2-11
Use props
hhasanain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064308 ft
Saudi Arabia

The only thing I don't do is draining the Batt to 0%. and not start charging right after the flight while its still hot. I'm sure there are more tip, happy to hear
2021-2-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there marc70. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. for additional reference kindli please check the post below on Intelligent Flight Battery Guidelines. Thank you.

2021-2-11
Use props
marc70
Second Officer
Canada

Thanks DJIStephen. So storing the batteries in the disconnected charger is NOT recommended?  
2021-2-11
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

My advice is not to charge the fast charger every time. Please note that the warranty is only for 200 cycles. They know very well that fast charging shortens the life of the battery. Fast charging is a response to the needs of the market. I always charge with a current of about 1A and I leave fast charging for the necessary necessity.
2021-2-11
Use props
marc70
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 2-11 04:42
My advice is not to charge the fast charger every time. Please note that the warranty is only for 200 cycles. They know very well that fast charging shortens the life of the battery. Fast charging is a response to the needs of the market. I always charge with a current of about 1A and I leave fast charging for the necessary necessity.

So the charger that came with the Mini2 is the fast charger? Whats the other option? Charge right in the drone?
2021-2-11
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 2-11 04:42
My advice is not to charge the fast charger every time. Please note that the warranty is only for 200 cycles. They know very well that fast charging shortens the life of the battery. Fast charging is a response to the needs of the market. I always charge with a current of about 1A and I leave fast charging for the necessary necessity.

This sounds good to me. What charger do you use that can charge with only 1A and how long would a full charge take, say from 10% left the the battery?
2021-2-11
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

For me after a flight I will let the battery cool for about 2 hours before putting on the charger. If I am going to fly the next day then I will charge it full and keep it away ready to fly but if not I will charge to 60% and store it in a cool dry place. never had any issues with a battery in all my years of flying.
2021-2-11
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

kyalami Posted at 2-11 08:51
This sounds good to me. What charger do you use that can charge with only 1A and how long would a full charge take, say from 10% left the the battery?

I use old 5V 1A chargers for mobile phones. It's actually just a power supply without Quick Charge technology. I entrust the entire control of the charging process to Hab for three batteries from DJI. It is he who controls the proper charging, which takes about 3.5 hours for one battery. I plug in in the evening and in the morning I have it ready. When I need to charge faster, I replace the power supply with the one from DJI 18W. Slow charging uses less battery and packs energy more densely.
2021-2-11
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 2-11 10:48
I use old 5V 1A chargers for mobile phones. It's actually just a power supply without Quick Charge technology. I entrust the entire control of the charging process to Hab for three batteries from DJI. It is he who controls the proper charging, which takes about 3.5 hours for one battery. I plug in in the evening and in the morning I have it ready. When I need to charge faster, I replace the power supply with the one from DJI 18W. Slow charging uses less battery and packs energy more densely.

OK sounds very simple. Many thanks for your reply. A slow charge is better I believe.
2021-2-11
Use props
djiuser_LSA2v8XVnCFw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Just my opinion but it’s never good to use a battery less than 100% for another flight..Something could happen on the flight and you wouldn’t have a full battery to get home
2021-2-11
Use props
djiuser_oYgHIWNJ7SxW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118760 ft
United States

If you over charge your battery will not be recognized anymore.  There is a red bubble and it’ll say Valerie not recognized or Something like that but it happened to me all three batteries did not work and were not recognized by the strong make sure we don’t overcharge
2021-2-11
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20253 ft
United Kingdom

The fast charge is a slow charge in comparison.

Read up on LiPo.
2021-2-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charge count is not the number of times youve filled the battery,   if you use 50% charge it and then use 50% and charge that would count as 1 charge cycle.
2021-2-12
Use props
djiuser_a5YpDiXYeS0m
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 2021-2-12 01:13
Charge count is not the number of times youve filled the battery,   if you use 50% charge it and then use 50% and charge that would count as 1 charge cycle.

I'm fairly certain this is incorrect. Charging cycles has nothing to do with the amount you charge or use. If you charge a battery, disconnect it from the charger, and even just let it sit and then plug it back in to charge, that will count as a second charging cycle.

This is an industry standard for charging devices. It has nothing to do with use, once you unplug it from the charger for a few moments and plug it back in, it will count as a second charging cycle. And that's the reason that the charger actually begins charging again.
2023-9-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_a5YpDiXYeS0m Posted at 9-29 21:30
I'm fairly certain this is incorrect. Charging cycles has nothing to do with the amount you charge or use. If you charge a battery, disconnect it from the charger, and even just let it sit and then plug it back in to charge, that will count as a second charging cycle.

This is an industry standard for charging devices. It has nothing to do with use, once you unplug it from the charger for a few moments and plug it back in, it will count as a second charging cycle. And that's the reason that the charger actually begins charging again.

These are intelligent batteries,  one all 4 leds are lit if you disconnect and reconnect it will not be charged,  so you can end up with a battery at 92% that until your discharge it a bit the charger wont start re charging.
2023-9-29
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I thoght I read somewhere that the cut-off point for charge cycle counting was around the 75% mark.
2023-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules